• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

SeaOfMadness said:
wha? how did i miss this quest on my first playthrough? how do you get this quest? is it just one that comes after talking to him after a mission?
I actually didnt get it as assignment...

I was just exploring some planets before Ilos and landed on the one with the armor, cant remember which cluster though :(

Hellraizer said:
I actually didnt get it as assignment...

I was just exploring some planets before Ilos and landed on the one with the armor, cant remember which cluster though :(

Same here. It was quite the surprise.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, you can get Wrex's quest "by accident".
Strangely, it's better to do it on the planet because if you do it on the Normandy, the quest doesn't "count" for your Ally achievements.

Uncle

firehawk12 said:
Well, honestly, the difference between 60 and 50 isn't that much. Where other levels gave you two points per level, you only get 1 point per level in the 50-60 grind. So even if they let you start at 50, that'd be perfectly fine.

But it'd be stupid if you get dumped to level one and suddenly you lose all your stats. If they give Shepard amnesia or s/he gets some kind of disease that makes her/him lose all her skills or some other piss poor conceit, I think I'd be kind of pissed.

That would be very lame, but they did it properly with Baldur's Gate, so I'm fairly certain they can do it again.

Uncle

firehawk12 said:
What did they do there? Just up the level cap?

Basically yeah. You could bring your old character over or make a new one that started from the previous level cap. So in Mass Effect 2 you'd be able to make a new level 50 character right from the start. And of course they made the enemies a lot tougher. In BG1 you basilisks were tough, in BG2 you killed dragons. It was awesome.

I would expect them to reach a happy medium between the two. I'd expect your character to come with a healthy number of points in a basic weapon, basic tech/biotics, and spectre/class training. They can call it level 50 or level 1, it really doesn't matter. I wouldn't expect your ability ranks to copy 1:1 though.

Adjusting each ability to compensate for higher starting values of it would allow for more unique specialization too.

firehawk12 said:
Strangely, it's better to do it on the planet because if you do it on the Normandy, the quest doesn't "count" for your Ally achievements.

do you remember what planet/system it was?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't remember where Wrex's quest was... but it's on a planet with just random mercenaries - you actually start close to the base. After you clear out the base and hack one of the lockers, you find Wrex's armor and there's a quest log that tells you to speak to him.

Tali's quest comes after the Geth Incursion quest in the Armstrong Nebula. You have to clear out all four bases and then clear out the final Geth base... then hack a Geth terminal.

Chrange

Banned
Does anyone else always avoid the 'decontamination' screen when re-entering the ship? I don't know why, but I always run into the little alcove to avoid it.

There should have been an Achievement for that - Unclean

Chrange

Banned
clashfan said:
How did you get the quest?

You find some information about the Geth, can't remember during which other quest though. If you talk to her she asks for a copy of the information.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chrange said:
You find some information about the Geth, can't remember during which other quest though. If you talk to her she asks for a copy of the information.

Just fly to the Armstrong Nebula. Hackett with hit you up with another quest... that damn Hackett... what a lazy bastard!

Swifty

Chrange said:
Does anyone else always avoid the 'decontamination' screen when re-entering the ship? I don't know why, but I always run into the little alcove to avoid it.

I try to do that too, but I figured the wall of moving light was just a scanner, not some sort of germ fryer. I think the decontamination came from the gas they pour into the air lock.

Uncle

firehawk12 said:
So... how did that work? Did the skill tree expand as well? Or could you eventually just max out your character?

More skills, more classes. Basically more everything. I don't know if it would work like that with Mass Effect, since BG used the d&d rules it might have been easier to implement. In the end your character was godlike
or an acutal god if you so chose
in BG2:ToB. I remain confident that Bioware will pull through though.

Playing through my second time and I just spent like three hours doing side quests...Inside the Citadel, before you become a Spectre. Pretty crazy. Three hours...Doing side quests...Interesting side quests at that. And all in the Citadel, I haven't even left the Citadel yet. And there will be more Citadel side quests when I come back from the next main mission. Insanely deep universe that Bioware has crafted that you may not even scratch the surface of if you just stick to the main quest.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only problem is that the rest of the universe isn't as deep as the Citadel. But yeah, the fact that you can spend several hours just talking to people is great.

angelfly

Chrange said:

I always try to follow it for some reason and see how long I can keep the light on her without slipping out.

ckohler

Just beat the game on my first play through. I explored every single nook and cranny of the galaxy that I could. Here were my stats at the point of the final autosave:

Total Play Time: 43 Hours
Level: 48
Experience: 228100
Health: 506
Paragon: 100%
Renegade: ~5%
Assignments: 49 completed, 1 Uncompleted

Really awesome game. Truly epic story. I loved it.

Another hour on side quests...Finally outside the Citadel though. That being said I just had to say that after playing Mass Effect I could see Bioware doing a Halo RPG, and doing it so well. Sort of makes me want to see one. Since Bioware is now part of EA however, we know Bioware won't be doing it.

Surfheart

ToyMachine228 said:
Playing through my second time and I just spent like three hours doing side quests...Inside the Citadel, before you become a Spectre. Pretty crazy. Three hours...Doing side quests...Interesting side quests at that. And all in the Citadel, I haven't even left the Citadel yet. And there will be more Citadel side quests when I come back from the next main mission. Insanely deep universe that Bioware has crafted that you may not even scratch the surface of if you just stick to the main quest.

It gives that impression at first, but it's really about as deep as a wading pool.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Got some geth armor for Wrex tonight. It looks really funny, black and lime green with these big tubes coming out of his back. Now if only I could find some good medium human armor for my character. I'm at lvl 48 and still can't find decent stuff for my guy-also have all of the licenses purchased. Besides the spectre stuff what's some good med. human armor(for vanguard)?

Also, I can't wait to try out the harder difficulty next because right now I'm at the point where I just throw up a barrier and steamroll enemies with my shotty.

Anyway just have the mineral collection quest left along with the war relic quest and then I can finish my first playthrough-I kind of don't want it to end.

Shinjitsu

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Another hour on side quests...Finally outside the Citadel though. That being said I just had to say that after playing Mass Effect I could see Bioware doing a Halo RPG, and doing it so well. Sort of makes me want to see one. Since Bioware is now part of EA however, we know Bioware won't be doing it.

Oh god, please NO, the Halo universe is just so shallow...

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Really enjoying this game, and I had such high expectations. The main missions are all absolutely gorgeous and the side quests are a bit less so but that doesn't bother me. The gameplay is really engrossing and so is the story. The universe, the races and their cultures are so well thought out, I really appreciate all the backstory. I don't want the game to end, and that's a very good sign for me because most games tend to get boring 10 hours in.

I don't think we are still up there with the best of Scifi story telling in videogames but we are definitely getting closer.

I'm a huge fan of the cut-scenes, they never feel like they take you out of the action but rather supplement your experience. Still, the only real disappointment for me is Shepard. I just don't find him that great of a character.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Just last night I finished Virmire and man it was a blast. I sped through it pretty well, I guess I must have overleveled myself or something, I thought the Geth Prime was going to be a challenege. Then I had to make my moral choice of whom to save well that was EASY, Ashley was the solider who is like a tank and I already have an expert bioic in Liara, so Kaiden was going to bite the big one. lol.

I also found some geth weaponary, sweet, but not as good as my specter weaponary. I hope there is some armor that is built like the geth prime.:D

I must admit before I even touched this game I was cautious about the combat system, although I am not into the whole graw thing, this is much better than graw at least for me. Heck this is better than lost planet and mass effect is one of the games that i am glad i bought, probably the only game that i like on this system that does not offer much anyway.

Solo

firehawk12 said:

You can get all assignments "by accident", really. Land on random planet, enter base, kill all the baddies, and even if you never got the quest for that planet, the game will retroactively place the quest in your log as completed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, most of the time the systems won't appear on your map or you can't enter the building or you'll get a message from Hackett or Joker...

rs7k

I keep getting killed at the part where you
first encounter Benezia. The asari commando just biofuck everything out of my squad,
any tips?

Solo

I usually just lift her then have another party throw her. Then turn on marksman. Those 3 things and the Asari c.ommandos are dead in like 3 hits.

I've been playing this for the past couple of days and I love visiting different planets and checking out the scenery. The problem is that I can't stand the mako. I just don't like the overall feel of it. The way it handles, the controls and the way it looks, horrible. It reminds me of the warthog in halo.

There's an awesome small vehicle in the unreal tournament demo, I wish it was like that. Or even little jetpacks to fly around with would've been cooler than the mako.

One other thing that kind of annoyed me was when visiting a planet I found some mine tunnels, and on another planet there was the exact same mine tunnel layout. They just copy and pasted them. :/

Anyway, that wont stop me from playing, I'm sucked in to the story :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rs7k said:
I keep getting killed at the part where you
first encounter Benezia. The asari commando just biofuck everything out of my squad,
any tips?

Alternatively, run to the side so that she can't attack you with her Biotic powers and just pick everyone off from a distance.

Monsterland said:
I've been playing this for the past couple of days and I love visiting different planets and checking out the scenery. The problem is that I can't stand the mako. I just don't like the overall feel of it. The way it handles, the controls and the way it looks, horrible. It reminds me of the warthog in halo.

There's an awesome small vehicle in the unreal tournament demo, I wish it was like that. Or even little jetpacks to fly around with would've been cooler than the mako.

One other thing that kind of annoyed me was when visiting a planet I found some mine tunnels, and on another planet there was the exact same mine tunnel layout. They just copy and pasted them. :/

Anyway, that wont stop me from playing, I'm sucked in to the story :)

Well, I think it's arguably better than the schmup that BioWare included in Jade Empire. Thankfully, like those sections, the Mako is almost entirely optional. You can drive past any enemies you see if you want. And you can use the reload glitch to recharge the shields/heal damage.
And yeah, you'll find the same four locations recycled throughout the galaxy.

watership said:
The ability to sort and scan through it faster should be enough.
Well, a better structure would be nice, when you're selling or reducing items to omni gel. It's a pain in the ass to, lets say, transform 10 upgrades of level IV to omni gel, and you have about 20-30 items above that (higher levels) After every "deletion", you have to start from top again.

I would like a better sorting mechanism, also better categorization and sub-categories when buying and selling items, something like:

Weapons
- rifles
- shotungs
etc.

Armor
- light
- medium
- heavy

I don't have a problem equipping my squad with the basic weapons/armor though...

The game really needs the option to not just automatically pick up items whenever I kill an enemy. Let me walk up to their corpses and pick. I remember the 1up crew talking about how great this feature was. Sure, it's great for the first 5 hours of the game or so. But near the end of the game when you have 34 Polonium V rounds and 89 Kinetic Stabilizers, it's a fucking headache.

Red Blaster said:
The game really needs the option to not just automatically pick up items whenever I kill an enemy. Let me walk up to their corpses and pick. I remember the 1up crew talking about how great this feature was. Sure, it's great for the first 5 hours of the game or so. But near the end of the game when you have 34 Polonium V rounds and 89 Kinetic Stabilizers, it's a fucking headache.
Exactly. In some points I just couldn't open my Equipment Menu anymore until I finish a mission and return to the normandy (so I can sell the old stuff first), because I already got the warning message while picking up stuff from crates and lockers, so if I would've looked into the Equipment I probably had to delete everything...

ckohler

My biggest gripe with the inventory was the ridiculous way it would list the same item multiple times and in what I can only assume is the order you picked them up. If I pick up more than one of the same item, I don't need to see to ever see it listed twice (or three times, or four times, or five times, etc)! This is UI design 101 folks. Instead you get long, stupid lists like this:

Rail Extension VII
Combat Optics VII
Rail Extension VII
Rail Extension VII
Combat Optics VII

medze

ckohler said:
My biggest gripe with the inventory was the ridiculous way it would list the same item multiple times and in what I can only assume is the order you picked them up. If I pick up more than one of the same item, I don't need to see to ever see it listed twice (or three times, or four times, or five times, etc)! This is UI design 101 folks. Instead you get long, stupid lists like this:

Rail Extension VII
Combat Optics VII
Rail Extension VII
Rail Extension VII
Combat Optics VII

Don't forget that it puts the worst upgrades at the bottom of the list, which is handy when you need to put upgrades in your weapons/armor but terribly annoying when you're trying to convert all your shitty upgrades into omni-gel. Every time you break one down, it goes back to the top of the list so you have to scroll all the way back to the bottom again.

It gets old... fast

What would have been nice on the inventory screen (especially vendor) is being able to see all upgrades / shotguns / whatever together so that you could more easily decide what to use or sell. Actually ended up writing some of my inventory down so I could work out what I needed.

purg3 said:
Got some geth armor for Wrex tonight. It looks really funny, black and lime green with these big tubes coming out of his back. Now if only I could find some good medium human armor for my character. I'm at lvl 48 and still can't find decent stuff for my guy-also have all of the licenses purchased. Besides the spectre stuff what's some good med. human armor(for vanguard)?

Also, I can't wait to try out the harder difficulty next because right now I'm at the point where I just throw up a barrier and steamroll enemies with my shotty.

Anyway just have the mineral collection quest left along with the war relic quest and then I can finish my first playthrough-I kind of don't want it to end.

You probably want to be on the lookout for Colussus or Predator armor. Both very good. I have my Shepard in the Colussus and my two squadmates in Predator (second run-through).

Tieno said:
Got a radio announcement in the elevator regarding a rendition of Hamlet by an all Elcor cast.:lol
I had that one 2 or 3 times :lol , the one thing thats good about elevator speed, the news and the converstaions between the other squad members.

Top Bottom