• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Just finished the game last night. Great friggin game! Is there anyway to finish off the side quests I didn't complete with my character level from the end of the game or do I have to start all over from scratch.

I know I can go to an earlier game save I just though they would give you a chance to tie some things up after the main quest.

Ventrue

Okay, I'm on my eighth run through and I just realised that there are FIVE ways to get the garage pass on Noveria.

1. You tell Anoleis about Opold's smuggling.
2. You give the evidence to Lorik.
3. You take the evidence to Anoleis and blackmail him.
4. You get Lorik to testify against Anoleis for Gianna, Gianna arrests Anoleis.
5. This is the most awesome one, only just found it. You tell Anoleis that Gianna is spying on him. Shepard casually leans on the wall outside while Anoleis calls Gianna into his office. He goes crazy and pulls a gun; they both shoot each other and you loot the garage pass from them. :D

adg1034

Am I the only one who's gotten multiple DREs while playing this? I'm about 20 hours in, and I'd guess I've had to:

1. Clean disc with a soft cloth
2. Restart console

about 10 times now. My disc has a couple light scratches on it from shipping, but nothing serious. Is it something with the game? Is my drive going? Should I slightly unhook the power cable to get a RROD, take a picture, and send it back to Redmond? Anyone?

adg1034 said:
Am I the only one who's gotten multiple DREs while playing this?
Report to the "My 360 Died..." thread soldier!

You might be lucky though... if it's only this game doing it, it could of course be a faulty disc.

Quazar

adg1034 said:
Am I the only one who's gotten multiple DREs while playing this? I'm about 20 hours in, and I'd guess I've had to:

2. Restart console

about 10 times now. My disc has a couple light scratches on it from shipping, but nothing serious. Is it something with the game? Is my drive going? Should I slightly unhook the power cable to get a RROD, take a picture, and send it back to Redmond? Anyone?

It's the 360

Ventrue

adg1034 said:

2. Restart console

Probably just a sign of your console going and not the game. If you're within one year you can probably get them to fix it, might need to just wait for it to die if not though. Not sure if they check for the ring when they get it.

adg1034

Not that I would, but if I reported multiple, sporadic RROD instances to MS support, might that deal with them checking for the ring (assuming they do that)?

gillty

Banned
just finished my first play through about 16 hours or so, played a female Shepard no romances though. The last 2 hours was a rush, can't wait for mass effect 2 although i'll probably play more than enough times through again. GOTY for me :D

Ventrue said:
Okay, I'm on my eighth run through and I just realised that there are FIVE ways to get the garage pass on Noveria.

1. You tell Anoleis about Opold's smuggling.
2. You give the evidence to Lorik.
3. You take the evidence to Anoleis and blackmail him.
4. You get Lorik to testify against Anoleis for Gianna, Gianna arrests Anoleis.
5. This is the most awesome one, only just found it. You tell Anoleis that Gianna is spying on him. Shepard casually leans on the wall outside while Anoleis calls Gianna into his office. He goes crazy and pulls a gun; they both shoot each other and you loot the garage pass from them. :D

Holy shit that last one is stone cold. :lol

2. Restart console

I got several DRE on my first play through. At first I thought it was the beginning of the end for my DVD drive, but I've heard there is a bug in the game that causes it to occasionally stream more data than allowed by the drive. On my subsequent characters I never ran into it again.

I'm going through it again as a Vanguard on Hardcore difficulty and I'm really getting my ass kicked. Any tips on how I should develop my character? I'm much too accustomed to just powering my way through most engagements, Soldiers are way too powerful. I also don't seem to be getting as much inventory from killing enemies as last time.

Ventrue

Red Blaster said:
I'm going through it again as a Vanguard on Hardcore difficulty and I'm really getting my ass kicked. Any tips on how I should develop my character? I'm much too accustomed to just powering my way through most engagements, Soldiers are way too powerful. I also don't seem to be getting as much inventory from killing enemies as last time.

Well, don't be afraid to use cover and just stick to your pistol if the enemy is too strong; a lot of situations will just get you killed if you rush in with the shotgun. Barrier can be really helpful for soaking up damage when charging, however.

Hardcore/Insanity start off hard with a new character but get easy once you're into the higher levels.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Quick question, when I finish developing my character's armor, weapons, level, etc.. and I drag him to another playthrough on a harder difficulty, will I still be able to keep the powerful armor, weapons, etc. on the new playthrough, or is just the stats and level that gets transfered?

EDIT: Oh, which reminds me: where can I find the BEST Spectre armor to buy? I recently spent 450,000 credits on Wrex to beef up his armor, but I have around 850,000 credits left and I want to spent as much as I can on the best armor available, but they aren't offering me armor that's too good, and I've heard about a
Colossus X armor
that's pretty damn powerful.

JayDubya

Banned
Kadey said:
Is it possible to fully max out renegade and paragon, and will it affect the story in any way?

I doubt it would be possible to fully max out both, but it may be possible to derive maximum benefit from both. I think that occurs at 75% or 80%.

Everything gives P or R points, even the things done at the very end of the game. So it might be possible with that last interaction with Saren or the choices available afterwards to make it to max in both.

You would definitely want to do everything bad you could, from punching Manuel to killing
Wrex in cold blood, yourself, then telling Kaidan how he was a monster and that all Krogan are the same and they need to all be wiped out.

You'd have a lot of points invested in both Charm and in Intimidate to make this work, and that's generally considered a waste to double up on them like that.

medze

So I made the silly mistake of using Kaiden and Ashley for my third playthrough for the Soldier and Sentinel Ally achievements. I've done like million sidequests and went to all clusters, checked all systems, but now I've reached Virmire and haven't gotten either of the achievements and the Captain wants me to pick between the two...

Did I screw myself over by picking this combo or has anyone gotten an Ally achievement prior to Virmire?

JayDubya

Banned
medze said:
So I made the silly mistake of using Kaiden and Ashley for my third playthrough for the Soldier and Sentinel Ally achievements. I've done like million sidequests and went to all clusters, checked all systems, but now I've reached Virmire and haven't gotten either of the achievements and the Captain wants me to pick between the two...

Did I screw myself over by picking this combo or has anyone gotten an Ally achievement prior to Virmire?

You can get it way in advance of Virmire. Those two are the easiest Ally achievements to get since you have them for all the Eden Prime and Citadel quests. Do more side quests.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Great, great game. My playthrough time was around 38 hours and there were still some side quests I couldn't be arsed doing. I didn't play pure Paragon or Renegade and instead I did what I would personally do for each individual scenario (I suppose that is the point of a WRPG though). I loved the story, the characters and even though there were problems like the various technical issues, samey side quests and fairly weak combat, Mass Effect still ranks as one of my favourite games released this year. The biggest and best compliment that I can give is that I'm desperate to play Mass Effect 2

I'd like to jump straight back in for a replay but I think I'll wait a couple of months as I have a lot of other games to catch up on.

Solo

Alright, so I got the Completionist/Soldier Ally/Krogan Ally achievements last night (hit both on Noveria), and beat Noveria, Virmire, and Ilos. Im back on the Citadel, and like 30 mins from beating the game for the second time. The funny thing is that even though this time I spent a ton of time doing sidequests for the Ally achievements, here I am sitting near the end of the game, with my game clock at 15:30. I beat the game the first time in 16:00, and since Im half an hour or so from finishing it for the second time, I will again be hitting 16:00. I still can't fathom how people are getting 50+ hours out of one single playthrough. I could beat it 4 times in that amount of time, and I think that if I were crawling thru it that slow, I wouldnt be enjoying it half as much.

Mass Effect - the best sub 20 hour RPG ever. Actually, its probably my favorite RPG regardless of length anyways. Quality over quantity.

Solo said:
Mass Effect - the best sub 20 hour RPG ever. Actually, its probably my favorite RPG regardless of length anyways. Quality over quantity.
Same here. Haven't played a better Game in years. It just totally amazed me, so far that I just started a 2nd playtrough right after the first one. Dont need any new games till 2008.

Solo

So, after extensive listening to the Mass Effect OST, I have finally realized what is missing - my favorite piece of "action" music from the game, the music from Virmire. They have the music for the Mako run at the beginning of the level, but not the music for when you are infiltrating the base. Which is odd, as it seems like every other piece of music from the game is accounted for here.

Combat Optics X + Frictionless Materials X + Sledgehammer Rounds X = Winning of many kinds.

The more I play this game, the more flaws I see. I'm currently on my third (Insanity) play-through.

DANG IT.

Disc scratch on Noveria.

Stoopid tv stand has like a MINISCULE .5 degree cant because the HD CRTV is too fucking heavy and I noticed sometimes the Player 1 Controller Light would go from the upright spot to the horizontal spot. Which apparently was enough to commence the disc scratching.

Well, it's a good thing, ME is on the disc replacement pro -- oh, 360.

Oh well. Beats having to get a whole new system. I suppose.

No. It isn't.

armubaba

BenjaminBirdie said:
DANG IT.

Disc scratch on Noveria.

Stoopid tv stand has like a MINISCULE .5 degree cant because the HD CRTV is too fucking heavy and I noticed sometimes the Player 1 Controller Light would go from the upright spot to the horizontal spot. Which apparently was enough to commence the disc scratching.

Well, it's a good thing, ME is on the disc replacement pro -- oh, 360.

Oh well. Beats having to get a whole new system. I suppose.

No. It isn't.

It happens to the best of us, brother. It happens to the best of us.

Your Mass Effect disc will see you in another life anyway, yeah?

;)

DeadGzuz

Banned
I'm back to ME, I'm at the main city looking for
some bounty hunter, named Merx?
. So I'm not that far in, but damn I hope this game gets better. The combat is wonky and the frame rate is very low, I'm guessing around 20fps on average. The city seems like something from KOTOR, very sterile. I like the characters and dialog, though what I chose seems to have little impact on the story. Please reassure me this game starts slow :)

armubaba said:
It happens to the best of us, brother. It happens to the best of us.

Your Mass Effect disc will see you in another life anyway, yeah?

;)

;D

I wonder, if now that my 360 is stable(r), are any other discs at risk? It seems that Upright/Vertical sensor is directly related to the drive, which is totally unstable. Hmmm...maybe I should just switch to the new one to be safe...

Mindlog

DeadGzuz said:
. So I'm not that far in, but damn I hope this game gets better. The combat is wonky and the frame rate is very low, I'm guessing around 20fps on average. The city seems like something from KOTOR, very sterile. I like the characters and dialog, though what I chose seems to have little impact on the story. Please reassure me this game starts slow :)

It doesn't get any better. Your best option is to throw the game away right now. Crack the disc in half just to be certain.

Walshicus

Mindlog said:
It doesn't get any better. Your best option is to throw the game away right now. Crack the disc in half just to be certain.
He'd best take a photograph of himself eating a really nice sandwich whilst doing it, just to be certain.

armubaba

BenjaminBirdie said:
;D

I wonder, if now that my 360 is stable(r), are any other discs at risk? It seems that Upright/Vertical sensor is directly related to the drive, which is totally unstable. Hmmm...maybe I should just switch to the new one to be safe...

Well you did move the 360 to a better place, right? It seems like the scratching was more of a problem with the position than your 360. I guess if you still experience those horizontal to vertical changes, then you might want to return it. If not, I recommend you keep on trucking.

DeadGzuz said:

armubaba said:
Well you did move the 360 to a better place, right? It seems like the scratching was more of a problem with the position than your 360. I guess if you still experience those horizontal to vertical changes, then you might want to return it. If not, I recommend you keep on trucking.

I'm not sure now because even on level ground, the Upright/Vertical light for Controller 1 keeps switching. It's clearly going bonkers in there.

Un4

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm not sure now because even on level ground, the Upright/Vertical light for Controller 1 keeps switching. It's clearly going bonkers in there.
I have exactly the same problem for a few days. Really weird because it's on level ground and can't really wobble or anything.

arhra

BenjaminBirdie said:
My old launch premium did that constantly, from day 1, no matter where or how i had it. Never scratched a single disk, though. Sometimes the sensor just goes screwy.

Beat it last night. Took me 45 hours, but I don't think I missed a side quest and maxed out my level at 50 on Virmire. Oh, and I got both the Turian and Krogan ally achievements...

... and I'm still in awe over that finale. Ilos, though breathtaking, was a bit of a disappointment after Virmire, but the final segment of the game was made of non-stop blockbuster fare.
Fighting outside of the Citadel tower while climbing towards Sovereign
is probably one of my favorite gaming experiences ever, made all the better by the perfect cinematic pacing that makes up the main quest.

Side quests were a mixed bag, though. Many were quite interesting (
I actually really liked the Rachni quests in the Styx Theta and most of those mini-mysteries that required you to board another ship
), but the repetitive nature of their environments really drags them down. Exploring uncharted planets should never get boring, but when all you experience is a palette swap and terrain variations, I grew tired of this aspect far sooner that I would have hoped. I'm hoping they rework the exploration system of the game extensively in time for ME2. I have the usual complaints about the horrible, horrible inventory system, too, but that should be a quick and obvious fix.

I, for one, really enjoyed the combat. Yes, sometimes it moved too quickly and, since so many biotic powers look the same, it was often difficult to tell how you were being attacked. But once I learned the pace of it, I couldn't get enough battles. I must say, however, that I was simply steamrolling enemies in the second half. For example,
in the room where you hack the Armatures on Ilos, I dropped the Geth Prime and all his groupies so quickly that I didn't even realize hacking was an option.
Whoops. And
robo-Saren?
Cake.

I also encountered a few strange bugs, too: 1) After one battle, Wrex's gun wouldn't stop incessantly firing, even after entering/exiting the Mako/Normandy. I had to restart from a previous save to maintain my sanity. 2) During the
robo-Saren
fight, I got stuck in place along a wall and was forced to finish the fight standing still.

Problems aside, it's one of my most memorable gaming experiences and can't wait for ME2. Considering how thorough I was, I likely won't go through it a second time for a bit, however.

EDIT: For the record, I was a Vanguard, which I now hear is overpowered. But go ahead and give Garrus an X-level Spectre sniper and high explosive rounds and you try to not stomp enemies left and right.

Hm. I'm thinking though that the drive is still unstable. It give me the Unplayable Disk thing at the dashboard once and I could tell it was about to because the disk didn't spin all the way on the way in?

Anyway. Best to switch it out if I can afford it.

Back to Mass Effect talk, duders.

:D

Un4

plaidtopia said:
I, for one, really enjoyed the combat. Yes, sometimes it moved too quickly and, since so many biotic powers look the same, it was often difficult to tell how you were being attacked. But once I learned the pace of it, I couldn't get enough battles. I must say, however, that I was simply steamrolling enemies in the second half. For example,
in the room where you hack the Armatures on Ilos, I dropped the Geth Prime and all his groupies so quickly that I didn't even realize hacking was an option.
Whoops. And
robo-Saren?
Cake.

Same here, battles were awesome but in the second half of the game a bit easy. Garrus with the full sniper skill killed
Benezia
in one shot. She was down before i could even take a shot.. :lol Normal difficulty btw.

Still my GOTY by far, can't wait for the DLC, the new novel and Mass Effect 2.

Shinjitsu

Banned
DeadGzuz said:

Here's an idea, take a look at the 145 pages of this thread...

And PLEASE stop adding to this boards Framerate fetish, I'm so fucking sick of people downplaying games over this shit.

eznark

Banned
What an awesome game. I didn't get to level 50, sort of pissed but I'll be going through again and playing as a renegade chick, so I'll do it then. I got the completionist achievement at level 45, and figured it was damn near impossible to hit level 50 at that point. I realized too late that getting out of the Mako was the way to go. I loved the ending and absolutely cannot wait for the next one (hell, I'm even stoked to get bent over for some DLC).

One thing though. I never got the choice in the romance sub plot. I had been talking fully to both and when the time came, only one showed up. I was disappointed because I wanted to see em bitch each other out.

I played as Vanguard and actually really enjoyed the combat. Any recommendations on what class to make my bad-ass broad on the next go through?

I still think Mario Galaxy is my game of the year, but for ME2, when they can focus on technical polish and not worry about building such an incredible world, I can't see how it will be beatable.

guys i have a problem,till i reached illos the game has given me no problems but now after i get there to access the conduit a message pops out saying the disc is unreadable,i've checked the disc and it is in great condition with the exception of a single tiny light scratch,so am i screwed??=(

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Zee_truly evil said:
guys i have a problem,till i reached illos the game has given me no problems but now after i get there to access the conduit a message pops out saying the disc is unreadable,i've checked the disc and it is in great condition with the exception of a single tiny light scratch,so am i screwed??=(

Try clearing the cache on the HDD and if that doesn't work, you can try to polish the scratch out.

Shepard: Ashley? You sleeping girl?! Well now...

Shepard: NOM NOM NOM

Shepard: I knew this rifle scope was good for something!

iPhone camera : /

jax (old)

Banned
Solideliquid said:
Shepard: Ashley? You sleeping girl?! Well now...

Shepard: NOM NOM NOM

Shepard: I knew this rifle scope was good for something!

iPhone camera : /

hahahhahaha... funny shit. where would you find her like that?

medze

:lol you could've just Charmed her you ass!

Somewhat related, I wish we could take screencaps in this game and save em. I know thats pretty uncommon for console titles but I can think of several moments I wish were possible to capture. Is it too much to hope for ME2 to include this feature?

Top Bottom