• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Jax said:
hahahhahaha... funny shit. where would you find her like that?

She got killed while fighting some geth!

I spotted her on the floor while there were still enemies near by so she remained unconscious long enough for me to...do the deed. lol

IJoel

For those with the bonus preorder disc, that got the new content from it (theme/gamerpics,) did your existing Mass Effect gamerpic(s) got deleted? I just noticed my old Shepard Mass Effect pic is no longer there. Maybe they were titled the same way and the old one(s) got overwritten. Anyone?

Edit: Guess no one else has noticed this. Oh well... gamerpics aren't really important I guess.

Dunlop

Am I the only one who's gotten multiple DREs while playing this?

I get them like crazy in ME, oddly enough I get them like crazy with Microsoft Studio Games (Halo3, Shadowrun, ME)

Finally beat the game, while the story is awsome there are so many damn bugs in the game I have no clue how the f*ck it is getting these high scores. Playing as an adept probably did not help as it was just stupid easy to beat.

Sorry for the sour note, but I was the biggest ME fanboy before release and of all the games I have purcheased recently (Bioshock, Orange Box, Halo 3, Mario Galaxy) the overall quality of MEthe worst of the bunch, Ok maybe not Orange Box but that game has f*cking Portal in it :D

SuperBonk

Ok, so I'll probably be picking this up tomorrow. Just a few questions before I do, though.

How bad are the technical issues exactly? I really can't pick up on frame rate drops or tearing that well so would I be really bothered by them? Comparisons to other games with the same problems would be very helpful.

Also, how long is this game with all the sidequests, and are the sidequests fun?

And finally, how addictive is it? Is it something that you can play in 1 hour sittings once every few days or should it be played in the summer in long stretches?

Thanks in advance.

Solideliquid said:
She got killed while fighting some geth!

I spotted her on the floor while there were still enemies near by so she remained unconscious long enough for me to...do the deed. lol

What the hell armor is she wearing?

Johnkers

How bad are the technical issues exactly? I really can't pick up on frame rate drops or tearing that well so would I be really bothered by them? Comparisons to other games with the same problems would be very helpful.

Also, how long is this game with all the sidequests, and are the sidequests fun?

And finally, how addictive is it? Is it something that you can play in 1 hour sittings once every few days or should it be played in the summer in long stretches?

Technical issues are there, but didn't effect the fun I was having. If they don't usually annoy you they prolly won't be too big here either. Only one section of the game bothered me really.

With side quests i've seen anywhere from 15 to 50. I did it in 20 with most side quests done.

It's addictive, enough to play for hours and hours straight, but the way the game is structured it's easy to pick up to play for an hour or so as well.

SuperBonk said:
Ok, so I'll probably be picking this up tomorrow. Just a few questions before I do, though.

Thanks in advance.

They are definitely there. Even if you don't normally notice some of the tearing or frame rate drops like others on here, you'll notice them here as they are pretty obvious. However, the game is good enough that it overcomes it and it never really adversely affects gameplay.

elithrar

MaizeRage25 said:
However, the game is good enough that it overcomes it and it never really adversely affects gameplay.

Agreed. The engine issues are noticeable, but once you're absorbed enough into the story, the gameplay and the general atmosphere of the game they don't impede your enjoyment of the game or negatively affect the narrative that the game is trying to tell.

ElyrionX

neojubei said:
Someone answer this man.

My guess is that it is a Limited or Rare variant of the Explorer/Survivor series of armour. You know, those ugly yellow armour? Same stats and all but with a different name and an adjusted colour scheme.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
a Master Ninja said:
Any word of a patch in the works to address glitches and technical issues?

I hope there is a patch or something. After killing some rachni on some random planet my game was going about 3 fps. Ihad to reload the game.

Is there a list of all the armors in this game?

Bioware made a Mars base and decided to turn it into a Moon base instead, didn't they? When I enter the bases on "Luna" they are clearly in red rock caves.

a Master Ninja said:
Bioware made a Mars base and decided to turn it into a Moon base instead, didn't they? When I enter the bases on "Luna" they are clearly in red rock caves.
Nah. Bioware made a Mars base and decided to turn it into the interior for the entire galaxy. Whoops.

Not really -- that's just the same, repetitive environment they use for the rest of the planets' interiors. But that's a worse answer, isn't it, despite its truth?

plaidtopia said:
Nah. Bioware made a Mars base and decided to turn it into the interior for the entire galaxy. Whoops.

Not really -- that's just the same, repetitive environment they use for the rest of the planets' interiors. But that's a worse answer, isn't it, despite its truth?
I suppose I have not explored enough of the galaxy yet to see heavy asset repetition.

Shinjitsu

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
I suppose I have not explored enough of the galaxy yet to see heavy asset repetition.

Oh you will, doesn't take long to start noticing. With that said, I don't care that they reuse the same rooms, I'm just blowing shit up in them for EXP anyway.:D

arhra

Valkyr Junkie said:
What the hell armor is she wearing?
Looks like the heavy variant of Explorer, i think (white armour plating, blue/grey undersuit).

edit: Actually, that's completely wrong. Helps to look at the larger pics, rather than just the thumbnails. Yellow and grey like that is Liberator, i think (and it's actually medium, now that i've looked at it properly).

Solo

Finished up my second playthrough last night, and got the Paragon achievement (at the very last possible moment, too!). 16:10 for the first playthrough (more story-oriented) and 16:27 for the second playthrough (more sidequest/getting Achievements-oriented). As I've already said, GOTY, without a single doubt in my mind. Now I feel compelled to put it on the shelf for a while, lest I risk ME overkill. Definately a game I'll play once a year or so for many years to come, ala DX.

Until then, Mass Effect!

Rezbit

Well I just churned through the game in 14 hours, doing only 3 or 4 side quests. Freakin' awesome game. Converting items into gel when your inventory is full could use some work (though I'm sure this has been said), however it's just awesome despite the flaws. I don't do it often with games, but this one I really want to play through again.

It really does remind me of those classic 2D space-exploration games like Starflight and Star Control, although I'd like to see it more fleshed out in ME2. More minerals to mine for a purpose, a bit more varied interiors, and maybe even manual ship control?

While I understand the need to play as a human in this game due to the story, I think it would be cool to be able to chose alien races for ME2. Who wants some
Asari
on Asari action?!

Kingpen

wow, I had totally not paid attention to this game and written it off. Picked it up used the other day and I am blown away. Looks like it is going to be a totally awesome experience. I love the gunplay a lot more then I thought I would too. (one of my stupid reasons for not paying attention was the lack of proper melee weapons like swords, light sabres, etc...)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
IF you play as a female Shepard and have Kaiden as a love interest, do you have a hot and steamy scene with him? Do we get to see his cute bod?

Phthisis

Kingpen said:
wow, I had totally not paid attention to this game and written it off. Picked it up used the other day and I am blown away. Looks like it is going to be a totally awesome experience. I love the gunplay a lot more then I thought I would too. (one of my stupid reasons for not paying attention was the lack of proper melee weapons like swords, light sabres, etc...)

That will teach you to ignore me again :p

Tieno

clashfan said:
That's cool looking Armor. I wish ME had sexy armor. Bioware please make sexy armor part of the DLC.
Armor showing cleavage: 5million credits.

I'd buy that actually, my Shephard is very sexy!

Piper Az

just finished the game. great game all around. the last boss was a pain though. maybe i wasn't strong enough. def going to try again with a different class.

even the credit roll was jerky - was it made with the unreal engine or something???:lol

purg3

slept with Malkin
Finally finished my first playthrough, final stats:

Vanguard lvl 50
100% paragon
>5% renegade
All side quests complete
Total time: 38hrs. 20min.
535 achievement points

Despite all of the games minor flaws, it is simply one of the absolute best gaming experiences I've had all year. My only gripes with the game were the side quests were repetitive especially since every underground facility looks identical. And the fact there really isn't much of a point in completing them unless you want to get the ally achievements. But other than that, I already started a second playthrough on Hardcore, hopefully this will provide some type of challenge because I thought the normal difficulty was too easy. Now the wait begins for DLC.

Mindlog

Hello adepts.

How are you choosing/using weapons? Is it really ok using AR's etc without having training? This question is meant for hardcore/insane difficulties.

sh4mike

Mindlog said:
Hello adepts.

How are you choosing/using weapons? Is it really ok using AR's etc without having training? This question is meant for hardcore/insane difficulties.
Take AR as your bonus talent.

Pellham

Banned
plaidtopia said:

That really started to bother me after a while. I couldn't believe they'd be that lazy. I love the game to death but they could have used some variety on the side missions.

Tiktaalik

About 10 hours in, at the awesome planet where you drive around in the shallows in the Mako. I "fought"
Saren
for the first time and that and some stuff earlier revealed some super awesome plot points that have completely re-ignited my love of the game. I was thinking it wasn't as good as everyone was saying when I was playing through Noveria, but I'm back into it now.

One thing I thought was weird is that before I fought the major part of that quest there was an situation with Wrex that was
pretty damn intense. It concerned the cure for his people's plague and I'm pretty sure I could have killed him at that point. I ended up sparing him because I was hoping that I could somehow get the cure and give it to him, but it never turned up during the resulting battle. Did I miss something or will this come up again later?

Ventrue

Tiktaalik said:
One thing I thought was weird is that before I fought the major part of that quest there was an situation with Wrex that was
pretty damn intense. It concerned the cure for his people's plague and I'm pretty sure I could have killed him at that point. I ended up sparing him because I was hoping that I could somehow get the cure and give it to him, but it never turned up during the resulting battle. Did I miss something or will this come up again later?

There is no way to save the Krogan. It isn't explained how Saren is making his army of Krogan, but it seems that he's just cloning them; it doesn't really seem to be a 'cure' for the entire Krogan race.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Any place I can go to, to buy new/better liscences? I have 1.5 million credits to spend and I've heard of awesome Spectre gear can be obtained with more liscences. I think have 2-3 liscences right now.

Ventrue said:
There is no way to save the Krogan. It isn't explained how Saren is making his army of Krogan, but it seems that he's just cloning them; it doesn't really seem to be a 'cure' for the entire Krogan race.
Personally, I don't see any reason why they should be saved.

Should there ever be a cure for the genophage, the entire galaxy would certainly face something similar to the Krogan Rebellions. History repeats itself.

Ventrue

Domino Theory said:
Any place I can go to, to buy new/better liscences? I have 1.5 million credits to spend and I've heard of awesome Spectre gear can be obtained with more liscences. I think have 2-3 liscences right now.

Spectre gear comes with getting 1 million credits.

I'm nearing the end of my eighth and final playthrough, with a total playtime of 104 hours. Just got 1000/1000 achievement points, first game I've ever done that with.

Overall, this is definitely my favourite game in the past few years, perhaps ever. I'd even place it above my much-beloved Baldur's Gate II. I'm pretty sick of it right now, as you'd imagine, but I don't see myself being unable to play DLC.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ventrue said:
Spectre gear comes with getting 1 million credits.

Yeah, I know, but not every single thing that you can get is automatically unlocked once you get the Rich achievement. I've heard of beasty shotguns and something called Colossus X armor, but I don't see it so I heard that you had to buy more liscences in order to get more Spectre gear.

Ventrue

Domino Theory said:
Yeah, I know, but not every single thing that you can get is automatically unlocked once you get the Rich achievement. I've heard of beasty shotguns and something called Colossus X armor, but I don't see it so I heard that you had to buy more liscences in order to get more Spectre gear.

You originally get Spectre VII gear. You can get Spectre X gear by getting to level 50.

Colossus armour is much more random. Buying the Kassa Fabrications (I believe) license gets you access to it. I'm not sure where exactly you get that, but I'm fairly certain it is on the Citadel; you can't buy it until level 36. Afterwards, the Normandy Quarter Master has a chance of getting it whenever he restocks. You can also find it as normal loot or randomly on other vendors.

Top Bottom