• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Sysgen

RBH said:
So I'm going to rent Mass Effect today, and I was wondering which of the classes do you guys recommend that I should play as for my first playthrough?

Biotic / Combat is a good class also since you get access to the shotgun / assault rifle plus biotics.

RBH

Sysgen said:
So far I think I had the most fun as a Soldier. You control all the weapons and you can direct the 2 AI sqaudmates to use the tech and biotic stuff. Just blasting off the pistol when all your abilities are in cool down is not the greatest.
RSTEIN said:
I would recommend Soldier. There are lots of cools biotic/tech abilities unlocked as you progress through the game as pick up your various squad members. However, as a Soldier you can updgrade all weapons (Assault Rifle, Sniper, Shotgun) AND you can still 'have' the tech/biotic abilities via the control you have over your squad mates (with the power wheel).

I basically ran with Soldier Sheppard/Tali/Liaria for most of the game. My soldier abilities were super maxed out. Combined with the tech/biotics of Tali/Liara, I felt pretty unstoppable. In fact, I felt the game was a bit too easy.
Uncle said:
Depends on what you want. Soldier is a bit more action oriented than adept or engineer (although you can use the skills of your squad mates so you can balance things out if you want to). I think soldier might make the game a bit easier too, since you'll be harder to kill (more hitpoints, heavy armor, immunity on higher levels).
Sysgen said:
Biotic / Combat is a good class also since you get access to the shotgun / assault rifle plus biotics.
sionyboy said:
I'd say a soldier, guns are always the nice middle ground to start with. When you get comfortable with the combat system (which does take some getting use to) then you can start experimenting with the tech and biotic powers in the game. I'm on my second play through now and when you fully get to grips with gunplay and the powers the game just gets so much better. Despite the fact I'm on hardcore at the moment I'm finding it easier than my first run through on normal, due to utilising my tech/biotic skills so much.

Thanks for the help, guys. Looks like I'll be starting off as a Soldier.

RBH said:
So I'm going to rent Mass Effect today, and I was wondering which of the classes do you guys recommend that I should play as for my first playthrough?

I'd say a soldier, guns are always the nice middle ground to start with. When you get comfortable with the combat system (which does take some getting use to) then you can start experimenting with the tech and biotic powers in the game. I'm on my second play through now and when you fully get to grips with gunplay and the powers the game just gets so much better. Despite the fact I'm on hardcore at the moment I'm finding it easier than my first run through on normal, due to utilising my tech/biotic skills so much.

Mdk7

Got the game as a Xmas present, i'm 17 hours in... Damn, it's a fucking blast!!!
I'm loving it, everything feels so immersive and cinematic... Kudos to Bioware!

And Wrex, man how i do love him... awesome, awesome character!

Definitely consider an Adept character at some point though. It starts off hard and a bit feeble, but once you have Singularity and Throw maxed up to the big ranges you feel incredibly awesome using them. Throwing down a whole group of enemies with a single wave of your hand or lifting up every piece of furniture in the room is great.

Mdk7 said:
Got the game as a Xmas present, i'm 17 hours in... Damn, it's a fucking blast!!!
I'm loving it, everything feels so immersive and cinematic... Kudos to Bioware!

And Wrex, man how i do love him... awesome, awesome character!

I find Wrex the most interesting character, with Garrus just a little bit behind. In fact I think that the humans are the worst characters in the game. There's Kaidan
"my teacher was a bully, i'm gonna listen to linkin park"
Alenko, and Ashley
"I gotta point to prove as a indie pendant woh-man"
Williams

I hate, hate, hate listening to Ashley tell me about her family...I was glad when I chose the renegade option and told her that poetry sucked balls.

Uncle

I even told Ashely I believed in god, just to get some. Although, IIRC, even the renegade answer in that situation was something lame like "there are no atheists in foxholes. and I've been in lots of foxholes."

sionyboy said:
In fact I think that the humans are the worst characters in the game.
I don't disagree with this, but Liara was a really bad character too. She seemed so neutral and robotic with so little development or depth compared to the others. I think this was an intentional design choice though; if she was opinionated at all, the players (who, lets be honest, are mostly male) wouldn't warm up to her; just like with the human characters.

I really liked Wrex, Garrus and Tali though.

Baker

Banned
I was late to the party for this game (and this thread), but I have a question.

Casey Hudson said in that EGM interview that you could use your character in subsequent ME games. What happens if you make a second character?

I finally beat the game a couple nights ago (31 hours) and wanted to go back through as a female soldier. She would most likely be a joke character though. Would that "overwrite" my original Shepard dude for Mass Effect 2 in the future?

Onemic

I'm currently at the part of the game when Anderson helps you get off the citadel by punching out the ambassador. Am I really close to beating the game? If so then damn is this game short, but sweet, as I'd say only going through those main quests probably took me about hours, maybe less.

Azih

Baker said:

Casey Hudson said in that EGM interview that you could use your character in subsequent ME games. What happens if you make a second character?

I finally beat the game a couple nights ago (31 hours) and wanted to go back through as a female soldier. She would most likely be a joke character though. Would that "overwrite" my original Shepard dude for Mass Effect 2 in the future?
Nope every time you finish the game there's a new 'finished' save file created. When you pick the Start New Career Option you'll have the option of continuing from the last save file of your original Shepard or creating a brand new one that's doesn't affect your original save at all.

Baker said:

No, each character you create makes a different career in your profile. When you go to Loa Game just press Y to change careers and you'll get a list of each character you've made, along with their save games.

Hopefully if ME2 does allow you to carry on with your character from ME1 it'll allow you to pick up from a specific career, which means they'll be a lot of potential paths to choose from.

I can't wait, I hope that they announce some DLC soon as well. I'd like to know what they have planned exactly.

Baker

Banned
Man, I hated the character customization for the guys, but I'm pretty happy how my Kristen Bell just turned out...

IMG_0427.jpg

sionyboy said:
No, each character you create makes a different career in your profile. When you go to Loa Game just press Y to change careers and you'll get a list of each character you've made, along with their save games.

Hopefully if ME2 does allow you to carry on with your character from ME1 it'll allow you to pick up from a specific career, which means they'll be a lot of potential paths to choose from.

I can't wait, I hope that they announce some DLC soon as well. I'd like to know what they have planned exactly.
Thats my biggest hope for this game too. I have two fully completed careers now where I have chosen different paths
Rachni queen, romance plot, save/not-save council
just so I can see all the paths from ME2 based on my own playtrough, and I will do one more career too (so I have three different shepards, with three different profiles etc.). I just hope they do this right (i.e, no amnesia for Shepard, followed by a form with questions about "what you did in ME1")

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hellraizer said:
Thats my biggest hope for this game too. I have two fully completed careers now where I have chosen different paths
just so I can see all the paths from ME2 based on my own playtrough, and I will do one more career too (so I have three different shepards, with three different profiles etc.). I just hope they do this right (i.e, no amnesia for Shepard, followed by a form with questions about "what you did in ME1")

Thats my hope as well. Making enemies
with the Shadow Broker
could have create some interesting storylines in the next games as well.

Coverly

onemic said:
I'm currently at the part of the game when Anderson helps you get off the citadel by punching out the ambassador. Am I really close to beating the game? If so then damn is this game short, but sweet, as I'd say only going through those main quests probably took me about hours, maybe less.

Yes, you're really close to beating the game. Probably an hour or two away depending on how fast you go.

I just beat the game again as a renegade and it's so much more satisfying not having to take anyone's crap.

Does anyone have a picture of what Colossus X - Medium human armor looks like?

Also, does anyone has any really cool wallpapers for this game other than the ones found on the official site?

Mindlog

They have an easy amnesia out with how the Prothean beacon affected him.

Or if he goes 'undercover' inside the terminus systems.

Ark-AMN

Banned
sionyboy said:
I find Wrex the most interesting character, with Garrus just a little bit behind. In fact I think that the humans are the worst characters in the game. There's Kaidan
"my teacher was a bully, i'm gonna listen to linkin park"
Alenko, and Ashley
"I gotta point to prove as a indie pendant woh-man"
Williams

I hate, hate, hate listening to Ashley tell me about her family...I was glad when I chose the renegade option and told her that poetry sucked balls.
My feelings exactly, which is what makes me annoyed that those two (K and A) make up the majority of the romance options. Though as someone said, Liara was not much better.

Well I've completed the game for a second time now, went for female/infiltrator/renegade angle, ended up at Lvl 53 which was nice. Not sure what to do next, either go for Lvl 60 achievement, or start a new Biotic character and go for the Ashley/Tali achievement, along with a few of the biotic achievements thrown in.

I'd like to reiterate that ME is indeed my GOTY, I thought I might get a bit bored with a second play through, but I still found myself having a ball, and the ending of the game is so epic. The music, the cutscenes, the action... it really all comes together and sets itself up for the inevitable sequel.

Hellraizer said:

I hope to god they don't resort to any sort of amnesia storyline as well. My worst nightmare is getting my hands on ME2 then having to do the whole "So, you're they Shepard guy who did that thing. Tell me, how did you stop that thing, and what choices did you make along the way"

Ugh...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
sionyboy said:
Well I've completed the game for a second time now, went for female/infiltrator/renegade angle, ended up at Lvl 53 which was nice. Not sure what to do next, either go for Lvl 60 achievement, or start a new Biotic character and go for the Ashley/Tali achievement, along with a few of the biotic achievements thrown in.

I'd like to reiterate that ME is indeed my GOTY, I thought I might get a bit bored with a second play through, but I still found myself having a ball, and the ending of the game is so epic. The music, the cutscenes, the action... it really all comes together and sets itself up for the inevitable sequel.

I started a Sentinel character and I was pretty happy when it prompted me that I'am to select a bonus skill (Assult or Sniper Rifle) thanks to achievements. This will help a non-combat oriented class!

Phthisis said:
Watching that reminds me that I finished reading the novel the other day. It sets up the game nicely, and if you've found yourself newly-indoctrinated by Mass Effect's siren call, it is required reading. Gives a nice bit of backstory on Anderson, Saren, and how Saren came to find
Sovereign

Agreed! I finished the novel 2 days before ME hit. It was so cool to play the game and understand Andersons backstory and who he was, he was a badass in his day. It also gives you real insight as to who much of an asshole Saren really is. Awesome novel. I am waiting for the second book, Mass Effect: Ascension, to hit now.

Xirj

LegendofJoe said:
Holy crap what an awesome game! Absolute best ending in a game I've seen in a looong time, what a beautiful experience.

I agree, I just beat it and throughout it was looking like a 9.0 game, but the ending blew me away. I loved first hearing Sovereign, the awesome story development by Vigil, and the epicness of the ending with the concurrent scenes of spaceships battling it out.

What I want to see in the next one, space battles in the Normandy, upgradeable Mako, ability to make weapons and armor, visible and changeable head gear like in Kotor which could affect things like targetting and early warning systems for incoming projectiles. Lastly I hope they can make it so that the npc's move around; it felt very anemic in comparison to Oblivion in that way.

Onemic

Coverly said:
Yes, you're really close to beating the game. Probably an hour or two away depending on how fast you go.

I just beat the game again as a renegade and it's so much more satisfying not having to take anyone's crap.

Does anyone have a picture of what Colossus X - Medium human armor looks like?

Also, does anyone has any really cool wallpapers for this game other than the ones found on the official site?

Wow, then mass effect is a really short game even by FPS standards.(That is if you only do the main quest)

Ventrue

onemic said:
Wow, then mass effect is a really short game even by FPS standards.(That is if you only do the main quest)

It took me 10 hours to just do the main quest even on my eighth playthrough (took me 15 hours on my first). Unless you're skipping conversations or something, I wouldn't consider it short by FPS standards.

How long did it take you, by the way? (I think you made a mistake in your last post)

newsguy

Finally got around to beating it! I played as a vanguard. Argyle Shepard is the man.
I really enjoyed the last few hours, it gets so intense. I chose
the option to simply concentrate on killing sovereign and whatever happens, happens. With the council dead I shall rule the universe!! BTW, my buddy asked me this and it was a good point, will the sequel take into account the decision you made (let council die or live)? It would be awesome if right off the bat the game started out different depending on what decision you made.

Onemic

Ventrue said:
It took me 10 hours to just do the main quest even on my eighth playthrough (took me 15 hours on my first). Unless you're skipping conversations or something, I wouldn't consider it short by FPS standards.

How long did it take you, by the way? (I think you made a mistake in your last post)

I've logged around 13hrs I believe, but that's with lots of exploration. I'm around the final chapter of the game when you're looking for where the conduit is.

newsguy said:
Finally got around to beating it! I played as a vanguard. Argyle Shepard is the man.
the option to simply concentrate on killing sovereign and whatever happens, happens. With the council dead I shall rule the universe!! BTW, my buddy asked me this and it was a good point, will the sequel take into account the decision you made (let council die or live)? It would be awesome if right off the bat the game started out different depending on what decision you made.

And after a few hours the council gets killed anyway
and you're of at the same storyline.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Started this finally last night. I just got my crew, my status, and away I go. I really love the music. Gives me a John Carpenter vibe.

I think that Ashley is probably the worst person you can choose as a squad member. Soldier's are absolutely boring to control, you just gotta hope she shoots stuff and hits it. Most of the time you give her an order and all you hear is "can't get a clean shot skipper" or something equally as annoying. Tali isn't too bad, a bit tech heavy but she can also learn Shotgun so she may be a lot more useful later on.

I miss my Garrus/Kaidan combo. Our combined tech powers were no match for any Geth we came across.

FFChris

newsguy said:

I think the next game might start off with you remaking your character and picking a new back story, so you can pick the option which ties in with what happened to you in the last game.

burgerdog

For the use X ability 75 times achievements do you have to use them with your main character or could it be your party members as well?

newsguy said:

I believe that BioWare have stated their goal is to have the savegame from Mass Effect 1 carry on into Mass Effect 2. Whether this means you'll start with the same weapons or powers is unknown, but I think they want the choices you made in ME1 to have some sort of bearing on the way ME2 plays out.

My bet is they want the character you let die in ME1 become the main bad guy in ME2. Similar to Bastilla in KOTOR, the character you thought had died will end up having been abducted and indoctrinated to serve the reapers.

Sysgen

I'm almost done with my 3rd playthrough and I'm not sure that I'll be able to avoid a 4th. There are moments in the game, like a great movie that I just want to expereince again and again. Further, it's crazy that I'm still discovering new quests or different methods of handling quests on my 3rd try.

DenogginizerOS said:
Started this finally last night. I just got my crew, my status, and away I go. I really love the music. Gives me a John Carpenter vibe.

I think you're going to dig it. The combat is actually a lot of fun. Not a full on shooter, as your stats and weapon abilities play into it, but feels very much like a shooter most of the time.

I've ended up playing through the game 3 times now. First time I thought it was just mostly average, but near the end I started enjoying it more. Decided to play through a second time to change things up, since there are so many decisions along the way that can alter the outcome. I was shocked at some of the changes!
Seran committing suicide!
And I ended up loving the game A LOT MORE the second time through. When I finished it up, I immediately began a third play through, and had to back off from a fourth after I finished that one. Really a great game. Possibly my GOTY for 2007 after those three very different play throughs. I should also note that I very rarely ever play a game a second time.

Sysgen said:
I'm almost done with my 3rd playthrough and I'm not sure that I'll be able to avoid a 4th. There are moments in the game, like a great movie that I just want to expereince again and again. Further, it's crazy that I'm still discovering new quests or different methods of handling quests on my 3rd try.

I think there are some side-quests which are exclusive to certain background/class or renegade/paragon types. There' the
suicide girl/gang member blackmail
I've come across as a war hero/earthborn character, but at the moment I have not come across a mission for my spacer character. Hopefully it will pop up next time I go back to the Citadel.

But yeah, I've maxed out my charm this time around and I'm finding lots of non-violent means to end certain situations, which I didn't know were there before. I was having a little grumble the other day that every mission ends in bloodshed, but I take that all back now.

I don't wanna read any spoilers or anything but I just arrived at that tropical planet after you've done the first three main planets. Can someone just tell me how far I am in the game, percentage-wise? Hope I'm not on half yet but I've heard this game is actually shorter than it first appears to be.

I also went to a few non-main planets :D they're mostly boring, although it was fun to go to earth's moon. Closest thing you're going to get to earth all game I suppose :D but the mission on the moon was pretty boring, haha.

Mr.City

I don't know if it's my 360, but damn, this game is really buggy. Texture popping, the 360 supposedly being unable to read my disc while I'm playing (might be more of the 360's fault), and on a rare occasion, Shepard gets stuck in the floor. Anyone else getting problems like that?

Moz La Punk said:
I don't wanna read any spoilers or anything but I just arrived at that tropical planet after you've done the first three main planets. Can someone just tell me how far I am in the game, percentage-wise? Hope I'm not on half yet but I've heard this game is actually shorter than it first appears to be.

I also went to a few non-main planets :D they're mostly boring, although it was fun to go to earth's moon. Closest thing you're going to get to earth all game I suppose :D but the mission on the moon was pretty boring, haha.

I'd say you're 75% of the way through roughly. Maybe a bit more. Depends on how many side quests you've done already or plan to do yet.

Mr.City said:
I don't know if it's my 360, but damn, this game is really buggy. Texture popping, the 360 supposedly being unable to read my disc while I'm playing (might be more of the 360's fault), and on a rare occasion, Shepard gets stuck in the floor. Anyone else getting problems like that?

The game has some technical issues for sure. The texture pop was fairly constant in my game when loading up a new area. Once everything was loaded, it looked great though. I never had issues with reading the disc, nor did I have Shepard get stuck in the floor, although once when exiting the ship the doors opened, and there was a long black tunnel that went nowhere. Only happened the one time though.

burgerdog said:
For the use X ability 75 times achievements do you have to use them with your main character or could it be your party members as well?

yes, your character has to use the powers and hit people with them. Iam currently spaming the engineer's powers now and it does take some time.

Mr.City

Say, is there a sidequest related to each character? For instance, I had one where Garrus
was telling me about this chop shop doctor who got away. We hunted down his ship and blew him away point blank with a shotgun.
I really hope there more of these in the game.

Mr.City said:
Say, is there a sidequest related to each character? For instance, I had one where Garrus
was telling me about this chop shop doctor who got away. We hunted down his ship and blew him away point blank with a shotgun.

I had one for each of the aliens.

Mr.City said:

there are sidequests for wrex, garrus, and Tali.

Mr.City said:

Texture popping is UE3's fault. I have seen a Geth stuck in a box and I managed to flip the Mako once. Plus yesterday I got stuck in the rail of the galaxy map platform after moving too quick after a autosave.

Top Bottom