• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

gdt

The_Shamess said:
I find that when I am in combat, I like the game the most.

Dont get me wrong (Im not saying you did) I love the Bioware dialog/story, but coupled with this combat it makes the game a much better and much more balanced.

Dyno

The_Shamess said:
I find that when I am in combat, I like the game the most.

Combat is very good overall. It's the most visceral combat I've experienced in an RPG. I've had to train myself not to run n gun it though. In a few fights my shooter instincts took over and I got myself killed. You have to be more methodical and careful (take cover, actviate a power or two) if you want to live.

Eteric Rice said:
How the fuck do I kill that giant worm that popus up in the desert when I try to get to the fucking ditress beacon thing?

Aim for its head and use the cannon. A lot. Keep moving to avoid the acid spitballs, and keep your distance. Get to close and its one-hit kill time.

Eteric Rice said:
How the fuck do I kill that giant worm that popus up in the desert when I try to get to the fucking ditress beacon thing?

If you are strong enough you should try killing it on foot. That will net you way more xp.

Just don't get to close. The lunging attack will most likely be an instant ko.

Ventrue

Most importantly, stay on uneven terrain. It cannot pop up beneath you if you do so.

This isn't an exploit or anything, it is mentioned in the codex.

funkmasterb said:
Did you guys like the space battle sequences at the end?

Spoilers about end of game contained in this post;

Absolutely awesome. Each time I've seen it I get chills down my spine, and the little voice inside my head sings "Mass Effect....Fuck Yeah!". Such a great ending to the game, that scene where the Normandy spins around and goes in for the kill on Sovereign...spooge man, spooge. Can't remember the last time I completed a game and truly felt like I was a part of something bigger going on.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
funkmasterb said:
Did you guys like the space battle sequences at the end?

HELL YEAH!

Addition: for any devs out there who have a trilogy in mind or plan to follow the original with a sequel THIS IS HOW YOU END A GAME BUT LEAVE GAMERS WANTING MORE. The ending perfectly wrapped things up, providing a whole lotta 'holy fuck!' moments, and a gamer could walk away feeling the whole thing was a neat little self-contained story. I found the ending to satisfy me completely while wanting more
e.g. Reapers, Protheans, etc.

Onemic

Just finished the ending. Damn this game is great. The only thing I'm wondering though is how they're even going to open up mass effect 2.
I mean they killed sovereign and he was pretty much the only link to awakening the other reapers right?

RSTEIN

onemic said:
Just finished the ending. Damn this game is great. The only thing I'm wondering though is how they're even going to open up mass effect 2.
I mean they killed sovereign and he was pretty much the only link to awakening the other reapers right?

Are we 100% sure of that? :D

SuperBonk

RSTEIN said:
HELL YEAH!

Addition: for any devs out there who have a trilogy in mind or plan to follow the original with a sequel THIS IS HOW YOU END A GAME BUT LEAVE GAMERS WANTING MORE. The ending perfectly wrapped things up, providing a whole lotta 'holy fuck!' moments, and a gamer could walk away feeling the whole thing was a neat little self-contained story. I found the ending to satisfy me completely while wanting more
e.g. Reapers, Protheans, etc.

Pretty much agree with everything in this post.

RSTEIN

onemic said:
......Is there something you're not telling me?

:lol No. I'm just saying. These dudes have been around a long, long, long time. As
Sovereign said, the Reapers have guided the evolution of many, many species as a part of their grand plan. We still don't really know why they repeat the cycle. We still don't know who is waiting for us in Dark Space. I also have a feeling that the Prothean virtual intelligence wasn't beeing 100% honest with us.

Onemic

RSTEIN said:
:lol No. I'm just saying. These dudes have been around a long, long, long time. As
Sovereign said, the Reapers have guided the evolution of many, many species as a part of their grand plan. We still don't really know why they repeat the cycle. We still don't know who is waiting for us in Dark Space. I also have a feeling that the Prothean virtual intelligence wasn't beeing 100% honest with us.

How else can they come back though? Unless.....They sent in more than one reaper vanguard to scout galactic civilization....dun, dun, dun!!!

yukoner

onemic said:
How else can they come back though? Unless.....They sent in more than one reaper vanguard to scout galactic civilization....dun, dun, dun!!!

Well they presumably had to build a relay in deepspace in order to use it to link to the citadel, which means they are in traveling distance of other relays.

They could already have begun travelling back, the long way, as they have already been awakened but simply couldn't get through the mass effect relay.

Onemic

yukoner said:
Well they presumably had to build a relay in deepspace in order to use it to link to the citadel, which means they are in traveling distance of other relays.

They could already have begun travelling back, the long way, as they have already been awakened but simply couldn't get through the mass effect relay.

since when were they awakened?

Or they just fly at FTL speeds, they're hundreds and thousands of light years outside of the galaxy, but we don't know how advanced their FTL technology is. It could take decades or centuries, but eventually they'd still get here. That passage of time would be nothing to them.

The idea of a
second relay
would not only negate your success at the end of the game, it would make no sense.
Sovereign, and presumably the other Reapers have been awake for over 300 years, if there was another Relay, then it would be easier to locate or use that instead of the Citadel

womp

mrmyth said:
I'm loving Bioware for one simple fact - ME is supposed to be an 70s/80s sci-fi game and they managed to put the BigTrak in it -

bigtrak%20n%20box.jpg

I knew something about the Mako kept itching my brain. I loved this toy as a kid.

Oh, and being a Renegade is so much fun.

It's funny isn't it? I was saying the SAME thing. I just started playing this on the 3rd (Was a Christmas gift) and beat it yesterday after about a 24 hour game time. I was discussing the game with my father (A 360 fan himself) how I beat the game and mentioned if he remembered BigTrak when I was a kid and how you basically controlled it in this game. I can almost GUARANTEE they based the Mako on it. It's too uncanny.

Mine was gray though...I also had the "Dumper" attachment as well. Awesome toy, I may need to snag one off EBay for my 6 month old. :lol

EDIT: INTERESTING, looks like it was white in the UK. Thats too funny. I guess in that case it looks even MORE like the Mako. :D

bigtrak.jpg

sionyboy said:
Spoilers about end of game contained in this post;

Absolutely awesome. Each time I've seen it I get chills down my spine, and the little voice inside my head sings "Mass Effect....Fuck Yeah!". Such a great ending to the game, that scene where the Normandy spins around and goes in for the kill on Sovereign...spooge man, spooge. Can't remember the last time I completed a game and truly felt like I was a part of something bigger going on.

My sentiments exactly. I just finished the gamw, and I'm not sure I can properly assess what I just saw. It going to take some time to mull over that ending. Just, holy shit.

Just fucking wow.

Draft

gdt5016 said:
Hey guys just 2 quick questions:

Filter or no filter?
and

I am in feros, just about to go to exogeny corp (only done citadel and sidequests, am 18 hours in) and am loving it. What is the general consensus about the combat, because I for one am loving it.
Love the filter, but I think I'm in the minority. The game looks too "clean" for me with it off, if that makes any sense.

I also love the combat. It's the best action RPG combat system ever.

Draft

Eteric Rice said:
Exploit its stupid AI and the Mako's Jordanesque vertical. Position yourself just outside its melee range so it keeps spitting, hop over the spit, own it with your big cannon.

PROTIP: That's how you win every single Mako fight :lol

Draft said:
Exploit its stupid AI and the Mako's Jordanesque vertical. Position yourself just outside its melee range so it keeps spitting, hop over the spit, own it with your big cannon.

PROTIP: That's how you win every single Mako fight :lol

Die and reload like a man.

mrmyth

womp said:
It's funny isn't it? I was saying the SAME thing. I just started playing this on the 3rd (Was a Christmas gift) and beat it yesterday after about a 24 hour game time. I was discussing the game with my father (A 360 fan himself) how I beat the game and mentioned if he remembered BigTrak when I was a kid and how you basically controlled it in this game. I can almost GUARANTEE they based the Mako on it. It's too uncanny.

Mine was gray though...I also had the "Dumper" attachment as well. Awesome toy, I may need to snag one off EBay for my 6 month old. :lol

EDIT: INTERESTING, looks like it was white in the UK. Thats too funny. I guess in that case it looks even MORE like the Mako. :D

bigtrak.jpg

I don't think it was just the UK - mine was white and I grew up in Chicago.

Man, I just started up a game last night. I can't stop thinking about how awesome this game is. Seriously, I'm about six hours into it and I love it just as much as the KOTOR games.

Big Likes:
- Dialogue
- Going from random planet to random planet and driving the Mako around, looking for minerals and shit
- Character designs are awesome
- Game was fun to play right away. Both KOTORs kinda had the painful start until you got your light saber, then shit was awesome. This shit was awesome from moment one.

Dislikes:
- Realizing you should have waited to do some side quests until you became a Spectre so you could use your Charm better :'( (that always happens to me in these BioWare RPGs...oh well!)
- I'm dying a lot. Sometimes the autosave works right away, but on these planets, I'm learning that you have to save for yourself, lest you have to replay twenty minutes of gameplay for one hard fight.

I'll be back with more when I get further!

womp

mrmyth said:
I don't think it was just the UK - mine was white and I grew up in Chicago.

INTERESTING.

Even the white ones on EBay I am seeing are all UK based. Huh, I've NEVER seen a white one before.

That said, I liked my gray better anyway. :D

womp

I wish Mass Effect 2 and 3 were already out. I just beat the damn game and I'm hungry for more, this isn't normally like me but I didn't want it to end. Replaying it again isn't satisfying my appetite whatsoever.

This from a game I wasn't initially even interested in.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Have to agree on the ending big time - just thinking about it while reading this thread gives me chills again - I'm playing through on Hardcore with my Level 51 Vanguard, and I can't wait to reach there again... so damn spectacular...

Right now I'm on the planet where you rescue
Liara
, man, I forgot how damn gorgeous that planet is, with the tone of the sky and the smoke...

It's just the art of this game that I'm in love with, period. Will continue to get replays from me just to see everything over and over again, I'm not kidding...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Is there a way to knock enemies back with anything but a shotgun or sniper rifle (w/ sledgehammer or HE rounds)? Thats my main complaint while playing as a Sentinel on Insane. When Krogans rush you and you don't have any guys with Biotics to paste him to a ceiling, it becomes dumb hard... Putting Sledgehammer rounds in a pistol doesn't do anything but cause slight toxic damage and after putting 15+ shots into a guy he might fall over.

king

Banned
so can someone give me a reason to keep playing, im early like 2 hrs in looking for a shadowbroker, i cant deal with the combat i keep dying. I like the story so far though

king said:
so can someone give me a reason to keep playing, im early like 2 hrs in looking for a shadowbroker, i cant deal with the combat i keep dying. I like the story so far though

Well, you are not suppose to be looking for the Shadow Broker.

I won't spoil this since its early game stuff. After chatting to Udina and Anderson you need to go talk to Barla Von, who is in the financial district of the presidium, he is an agent for the shadow broker.

As for combat. What class are you, and what weapons are you using? Are you using weapons you are suitably levelled up in? Have you ensured your sqaud members have decent armour, and been given any decent weapons you have picked up? Are you making the most of the tech/biotic powers of your squad members in combat? Are you making use of the cover system?

king

Banned
sionyboy said:
Well, you are not suppose to be looking for the Shadow Broker.

I won't spoil this since its early game stuff. After chatting to Udina and Anderson you need to go talk to Barla Von, who is in the financial district of the presidium, he is an agent for the shadow broker.

As for combat. What class are you, and what weapons are you using? Are you using weapons you are suitably levelled up in? Have you ensured your sqaud members have decent armour, and been given any decent weapons you have picked up? Are you making the most of the tech/biotic powers of your squad members in combat? Are you making use of the cover system?
oh i just talked to Fist and then fought some assasins, yea im a vanguard and i leveled up and put in the most efficient wepeons i usally use the pistol and shotgun but is the entire game like stop pick biotic use it stop pick another?

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Are there any recommendations on what defensive and offensive behavior(I guess you call it that) to set your squad mates on? Should I just let them use their biotics and tech powers on their own or is it better for me to be in full control of them?

I'm playing as a Soldier by the way.

I'm playing a second time, trying to get to level 60, and it seems like its not going to happen for me. Is it possible to get to level 60 on a second play?

Mairu

I ended my second playthrough at level 59 after doing almost everything the first time and everything the second time. I did a really, really quick 3rd run after the second on Hardcore and skipped every side quest and just went straight from story to story and got 60 somewhere in the first or second fourth of the game I believe. The last few levels are a pretty big grind

arhra

MrTroubleMaker said:
I'm playing a second time, trying to get to level 60, and it seems like its not going to happen for me. Is it possible to get to level 60 on a second play?
It's pretty easy to hit 60 over two games... but only once you've unlocked the raised level cap so that you can level past 50 during the first game (my second playthrough was with a new vanguard, who hit 54, then hit 60 in newgame+ midway through Virmire).

Second playthrough ever isn't going to manage it, though, as 50-60 just takes too much XP to do in one game.

Johnkers

Tower of Hanoi I think the puzzle is. I had no idea how to solve it in either of my games so I just omni-geled the shit out of my useless items (and especially weapon/armour upgrades)

king

Banned
king said:
oh i just talked to Fist and then fought some assasins, yea im a vanguard and i leveled up and put in the most efficient wepeons i usally use the pistol and shotgun but is the entire game like stop pick biotic use it stop pick another?
??

Top Bottom