• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just finished the game, liked the ending a lot. Clocked somewhere north of 40 hours. It makes me wonder whether ME2 will continue directly from my save...

I kinda feel like choosing Soldier on my first playthrough was a mistake, so I'm starting a new game on Hardcore as an Adept with Assault Rifle talent. I wish I'd paid attention to the various Achievements, because I missed at least half the list on my first playthrough. I must've have thousands of kills with the AR, because it's the only weapon achievement I got.

Uncle said:
.....and using the assasination (or whatever) will stop the swaying completely for one shot.
lmao and I never thought to use this skill even once.

K.Jack said:
Just finished the game, liked the ending a lot. Clocked somewhere north of 40 hours. It makes me wonder whether ME2 will continue directly from my save...

I kinda feel like choosing Soldier on my first playthrough was a mistake, so I'm starting a new game on Hardcore as an Adept with Assault Rifle talent. I wish I'd paid attention to the various Achievements, because I missed at least half the list on my first playthrough. I must've have thousands of kills with the AR, because it's the only weapon achievement I got.

lmao and I never thought to use this skill even once.

Yeah, it's one of the few games where the achievements are actually important in game for your second playthrough.

I wouldn't dare playing the game on a higher level without the sniper rifle, which some classes do not have access to without the achievement.

lionelhutz

This is actually one game where I'm not whoring the achievements. I've only unlocked two after 4-5 hours. Any other game and I'm be bitching. :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
gregor7777 said:
Yeah, it's one of the few games where the achievements are actually important in game for your second playthrough.

I wouldn't dare playing the game on a higher level without the sniper rifle, which some classes do not have access to without the achievement.
Holy crap, when you said "without the sniper rifle", I didn't know that meant that I won't even be able to zoom with the scope. :lol

Wow this is rough.

WHAT THE FUCK AT VIRMIRE

Holy shit that was so fucking epic but it was sooooo fucking heart wrenching to have to choose between the girl and Kaiden. Seeing Kaiden sitting on the ground watching my ship fly away made me cry almost as much as when Butterfree left Ash in the Pokemon anime. I just don't know wtf to do also, Kaiden and Wrex were my main team and now they're both dead. The mission was fucked up but so damn awesome, much better then that damn snow planet where I killed the Matriarch

lionelhutz

I'm about 17 or 18 hours into this game and I can't get enough. I've only completed 3-4 of the main story missions but a large number of side missions. I was disappointed at how slow the game started but now it's become one of my favorite games on the 360. Have there been any details on ME2?

Gattsu25

Banned
lionelhutz said:
It would probably help me to RTFM. I just found out it has a canon in addition to the machine gun. I'm thinking it might make it a little easier to make it to and from
Zhu's Hope.
Don't forget to zoom by clicking in the right analog stick

hmmm, Im enjoying the game...it has quite a mature tone. This coming from someone who can't stand star trek etc.

Anyway, even though the environments can look alittle sterile, at least the game isn't bland like oblivion

Haunted

I like it. It's a shorter, but better looking remake of KOTOR without the Star Wars license.

EviLore said:
Point the Mako down the long hallway and press forward. Choose the bottom right dialog option.
Probably my biggest pet peeve with the game (aside from the cut n paste side quest locations). Putting the dialogue options in the same fucking spot every time is so fucking annoying. I hated it in Kotor, and I hate it here.

Good
Neutral
Bad

Always the same. I don't even know why this bothers me, but I would like it so much more if these would be randomised and I actually had to think about the little blurbs to advance the dialogue in a certain direction instead of the game doing it for me. :(

I guess it stands out because the dialogue systems is one of the high points of the game otherwise.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
funkmastergeneral said:
WHAT THE FUCK AT VIRMIRE

Holy shit that was so fucking epic but it was sooooo fucking heart wrenching to have to choose between the girl and Kaiden. Seeing Kaiden sitting on the ground watching my ship fly away made me cry almost as much as when Butterfree left Ash in the Pokemon anime. I just don't know wtf to do also, Kaiden and Wrex were my main team and now they're both dead. The mission was fucked up but so damn awesome, much better then that damn snow planet where I killed the Matriarch

Best point in the game... although, I don't know about the Pokemon reference. :lol

lionelhutz said:
This is actually one game where I'm not whoring the achievements. I've only unlocked two after 4-5 hours. Any other game and I'm be bitching. :lol
I been doing the same, on a 2nd play I will work on them but right now i'm soaking up the atmosphere and awesome that the game pumps out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Diablohead said:
I been doing the same, on a 2nd play I will work on them but right now i'm soaking up the atmosphere and awesome that the game pumps out.

I must say, the achievements are why I went through the game 4 times. I probably would have only finished it twice otherwise.

Dreavus

Just played through another planet last night (haven't been playing for too long yet). I set out from the start to be an asshole in this game, but I couldn't do it at a few points.

Noveria spoiler..
Anyone else not kill the rachni queen? I was telling myself "let's see how far I can get with renegade" but I just couldn't do it, despite Wrex yelling at me to do so. :lol

lionelhutz

Dreavus said:
Just played through another planet last night (haven't been playing for too long yet). I set out from the start to be an asshole in this game, but I couldn't do it at a few points.

Noveria spoiler..
Anyone else not kill the rachni queen? I was telling myself "let's see how far I can get with renegade" but I just couldn't do it, despite Wrex yelling at me to do so. :lol

I let did the same thing but I'm playing as a Paragon.

lionelhutz

I hope in ME2 they fix the loot management. I always seem to be close to my 150 limit but can never seem to find 150 items. Scrolling through each list is somewhat cumbersome too. I always have this problem with RPG style games though. I save everything "just in case" and I never end up using 90% of it. Anyone have suggestions on the essentials?

lionelhutz said:
I hope in ME2 they fix the loot management. I always seem to be close to my 150 limit but can never seem to find 150 items. Scrolling through each list is somewhat cumbersome too. I always have this problem with RPG style games though. I save everything "just in case" and I never end up using 90% of it. Anyone have suggestions on the essentials?

the stuff you probably have cluttering your inventory are the upgrades (ammo, armor upgrades etc). easiest way to get rid of those is to sell to a vendor (eg the one on your ship). upgrades are annoying because when u convert to gel, the list then reverts to the top where the best item is, so u have to scroll back down again to get rid of your least useful items etc

I end up just immediately converting new items into gel from the pickup screen unless its something rare. I quickly reach a point where money isnt an issue in the game, as the money scales dramatically with level. so I convert to gel, and use it to speed up decryption bunch of times.

the stuff I keep is mainly high numbered items of weapons and mods I use. much of ammo for example repeats, no need for more than 2 or 3 usually

lionelhutz

cleveridea said:
the stuff you probably have cluttering your inventory are the upgrades (ammo, armor upgrades etc). easiest way to get rid of those is to sell to a vendor (eg the one on your ship). upgrades are annoying because when u convert to gel, the list then reverts to the top where the best item is, so u have to scroll back down again to get rid of your least useful items etc

I end up just immediately converting new items into gel from the pickup screen unless its something rare. I quickly reach a point where money isnt an issue in the game, as the money scales dramatically with level. so I convert to gel, and use it to speed up decryption bunch of times.

the stuff I keep is mainly high numbered items of weapons and mods I use. much of ammo for example repeats, no need for more than 2 or 3 usually

I went through a lot of that stuff and it still didn't seem like I had 150 items. The scrolling is an issue. I also wish you could see a description of the item when you first pick it up and have to decide to keep it or turn it into gel OR be able to go into your inventory and clear old junk out. I shouldn't have to destroy good stuff because I can't see Rail I or II.

Haunted One said:
Probably my biggest pet peeve with the game (aside from the cut n paste side quest locations). Putting the dialogue options in the same fucking spot every time is so fucking annoying. I hated it in Kotor, and I hate it here.

Good
Neutral
Bad

Always the same. I don't even know why this bothers me, but I would like it so much more if these would be randomised and I actually had to think about the little blurbs to advance the dialogue in a certain direction instead of the game doing it for me. :(

I guess it stands out because the dialogue systems is one of the high points of the game otherwise.
Eh, most other RPG dialogue systems are the same, I don't mind it since it speeds up the process. And the "descriptions" of what you're trying to say in ME can be quite vague at times so not knowing which one is good or bad would make it even more annoying I think.

My pet peeve with the system is that a lot of the times the choice you have in terms of dialogue are artificial and the different alternatives will give the same line from Shepard, just a cheap trick to make the game seem more interactive than it really is.

lionelhutz said:
I went through a lot of that stuff and it still didn't seem like I had 150 items. The scrolling is an issue. I also wish you could see a description of the item when you first pick it up and have to decide to keep it or turn it into gel OR be able to go into your inventory and clear old junk out. I shouldn't have to destroy good stuff because I can't see Rail I or II.

Don't forget there are a lot of different groups. Like for guns, there are ammo types and also mods (barrel etc) so not only do u need to press x to bring up the barrels etc, need to then move stick right to see ammo types.

tons of other places to look too like grenades, amps, omni-tools etc that you may not be looking at (eg a soldier doesnt need biotic amps, but they will be collecting nontheless)

Wiggum2007

Haunted One said:

Good
Neutral
Bad

See, I liked this, I could listen to the dialogue and decide what response to give and be able to find that response quickly enough to keep the conversation going seamlessly, without having to 'pause' the conversation to find where the response I wanted was.

lionelhutz

cleveridea said:
Don't forget there are a lot of different groups. Like for guns, there are ammo types and also mods (barrel etc) so not only do u need to press x to bring up the barrels etc, need to then move stick right to see ammo types.

tons of other places to look too like grenades, amps, omni-tools etc that you may not be looking at (eg a soldier doesnt need biotic amps, but they will be collecting nontheless)

Next time I'm on the Normandy I'll have to check each locker. Maybe I can clean some stuff out that way.

lionelhutz said:
Next time I'm on the Normandy I'll have to check each locker. Maybe I can clean some stuff out that way.

the lockers are only useful for seeing the items assigned to the crew members. you always have access to the non-equipped inventory items even if you are by yourself in the ship. so just sell them to the vendor near the elevator.

the lockers are useful when you assigned a nice weapon/item whatever to a crew member but then switched them out of your team. I often do this by mistake, like I'll buy a medical armor upgrade early on for healing non-soldiers, then forget to unequip it from a crew member I remove from the team.

lionelhutz

I just finished Virmire. Wow...there wasn't anything tough about that level/planet and it seemed shorter than others but wow...it sort of pulls everything together so far and shows you the scale of what you're up against. The
hoverboard reminded me of the hobgoblin

aznpxdd

I've been doing only the main quests (since most said side quests suck) and I'm on Iios (or whatever), how far am I into the game?

I've been doing only the main quests (since most said side quests suck) and I'm on Iios (or whatever), how far am I into the game?

Pretty much endgame. Only a little left and then you're done. Probably an hour - two hours.

But why the hate on the side quests? Sure, they're repetitive as sin but they give you mexcellent XP and items.

rs7k

aznpxdd said:

Pretty much at the end, two hours tops till the ending credits.

aznpxdd

Geez, already? I've only put around 7 hours into the game so far.

I guess I'll replay the game with another class after I'm done.

afternoon delight said:
Is a Vanguard worth playing through? I got a feeling that later levels get hard as shit without long range weapons.

Yeah, Vanguard is fun. The pistol is actually a fine long-range weapon. And most importantly, your biotic powers have infinite range (meaning you could target a wall or an enemy three hundred feet away, in theory).

I recommend you get the Singularity bonus talent. It's not very hard, just make an adept, get Singularity (around level 7, I think), and use it 75 times on some boxes right at the beginning of Feros. If you don't feel like doing that you'll do fine with just Lift and Throw, though.

Aaron

afternoon delight said:
Is a Vanguard worth playing through? I got a feeling that later levels get hard as shit without long range weapons.
With the right mods, the pistols are absurdly powerful. Hell of a lot better than the near useless sniper rifle.

Just finished it on pc.

What an awesome game with a fantastic storyline.

Made a GI Jane type female Shepard, good times. Probably picked a dodgy class, pimped the pistol the whole game :lol I wasn't sure that was Seth Green doing Joker's voice, dude must like his games.

I DEMAND AN ELCOR squad member in Mass Effect 2, definately my favourite race well them and the Quarians (shame we don't find out much about them, other than Tali)

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
Just got the game for PC and I'm a little ways in with the Soldier class. I'm kinda tempted to re-roll a character with more of the flashy abilities. Perhaps a more all-around class. Soldier seems a bit too straight forward...

Any suggestions?

Afrocious

JonAmikar said:
Just got the game for PC and I'm a little ways in with the Soldier class. I'm kinda tempted to re-roll a character with more of the flashy abilities. Perhaps a more all-around class. Soldier seems a bit too straight forward...

Any suggestions?

I only have the Xbox version, so take what I say as you will. The Soldier class is pretty much an easy run through the game. IIRC, you even get Invincibility or something like that.

There isn't a class with all three combat, tech, and . . . whatever you called the powers in the game (it's been a while). I've only played as a Vanguard (powers/soldier). It was a blast. Literally.

Zzoram

JonAmikar said:

Any suggestions?

Vanguard is the best class in the game. It's a mix of Soldier and Biotic, emphasizing Shotgun and Lift.

Aaron

With the right mods, the pistol is the only weapon you'll ever need anyway. Played a Vangard myself and finished the game pretty easily.

Kinan

I'm playing through PC version and having a blast. :) I do have a number of small complaints. First of all, I was surprised you cant lead with other characters like in kotor. You are always leading with Shepard, and cant put an engi/hacking skills of your comrades to use, for example, which makes levelling them much less important.
Did not have much problems with vehicle control though, kb/m work quite ok for me. What I didnt like is that there is no description of how do you exit the mako in the contols section of the game. Took me a while to find our that "Q" does it. Missed lots of chest and lockers on the way. :(
Also I'm playing a good guy and I maxed my charm. Does it make sense or i wasted a lot of points? .)

Afrocious

Kinan said:
I'm playing through PC version and having a blast. :) I do have a number of small complaints. First of all, I was surprised you cant lead with other characters like in kotor. You are always leading with Shepard, and cant put an engi/hacking skills of your comrades to use, for example, which makes levelling them much less important.
Did not have much problems with vehicle control though, kb/m work quite ok for me. What I didnt like is that there is no description of how do you exit the mako in the contols section of the game. Took me a while to find our that "Q" does it. Missed lots of chest and lockers on the way. :(
Also I'm playing a good guy and I maxed my charm. Does it make sense or i wasted a lot of points? .)

Not at all. Something kick ass happens at the end for you though if you keep that up.

Hootie

Oh man, I just started playing the game again. This must be my 4th or 5th playthrough already :lol

Although I've started again, nothing beats replaying my save right as the
absolutely epic battle on the Citadel Tower exterior begins. I replayed it today on Hardcore...the part with the huge turrets and dropship were amazing. Shit was flying all around me, geth were flanking us while we were in the trenches, and explosions were EVERYWHERE. What an ending. What a damn good ending.

Uncle

Kinan said:

What exactly do you mean by this? I think you might be mistaken.

Jtyettis said:
Would be nice if we get some info on the next DLC soonish.

Absolutely. While I wasn't blown away with Bring Down the Sky, I was satisfied. Or I should say, it satisfied my need to play new Mass Effect content.

Timber

Uncle said:
What exactly do you mean by this? I think you might be mistaken.
Hacking and such is dependant on whichever one of your three party members has the highest skill level in that department. So if you can't open a container it means none of your party members has high enough engineering, not just Shepard. He is right in that you can't directly control anyone but Shepard, though.

Top Bottom