• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Deepblue

Banned
Nikorasu said:
I can't really understand the hatred for the mako segments. Yeah it can be annoying sometimes, but it really didn't bother me that much, at least not nearly enough to affect my enjoyment of the game. The first few times I was too busy admiring the landscapes and atmosphere to notice. With the subtle film grain and the amazing backdrops, falling meteors, sun flare, etc - it was the first time it really struck me how great the game looked. Just like an old classic sci-fi film.

On my second playthough as a male renegade now. If I have one complaint its how boring the male Shepard VA is. Jennifer Hale is so much more interesting its not even funny.
Going through as a femshep right now and I agree completely. Much better delivery all-round.

I just started playing the PC version the other day and, good lord, it's so much more enjoyable for me. The combination of interface design fixes (things that aren't input method-specific), and the general greater amount of control you have with a mouse and keyboard (pointer, hotkeys, etc.) really makes this feel like the way the game was meant to be played. The new spacebar pause screen alone is awesome.

firehawk12 said:
The driving is barely manageable with a controller... I can't imagine the hell that WASD and mouse look would cause.
I find it considerably easier on the PC--though it's still somewhat irritating--and I'm usually someone who prefers vehicle control on consoles.

Edit: More thoughts, as well as general thoughts on current PC gaming, are on my blog:
http://chrisremo.com/bloggin/2008/06/07/hey-jerks-this-is-how-you-do-a-goddamn-pc-port/

Gattsu25

Banned
Chris Remo said:
I just started playing the PC version the other day and, good lord, it's so much more enjoyable for me. The combination of interface design fixes (things that aren't input method-specific), and the general greater amount of control you have with a mouse and keyboard (pointer, hotkeys, etc.) really makes this feel like the way the game was meant to be played.
Yes. Yes.
Chris Remo said:
The new spacebar pause scree alone is awesome.
YES!

The performance is perfect as well.

Oh and it just occurred to me, those in this thread may enjoy the interview we did on the Played podcast with Albert Reed of Demiurge Studios. Demiurge was responsible for the PC port of Mass Effect and, as I indicated in my previous post, the team did a great job. I hadn't yet played the PC version at the time of the interview, but my cohost had.

I think the episode turned out quite well, if I do say so myself, mainly due to Al, who was refreshingly candid and down to earth.

http://www.playedpodcast.com/2008-06-04/played-episode-40/

firehawk12 said:
Did you get a chance to ask about the SDK? Or the lack of one I guess?
I didn't, but I very much doubt it's happening at this point. The audience isn't going to be large enough to make it worthwhile probably, now that the game has been out on another system for months. Hopefully the next game has a simultaneous release.

lionelhutz

I just started playing this yesterday and I keep getting the feeling that I'm a little overwhelmed. Does anyone have any pointers for just starting the game?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
lionelhutz said:
I just started playing this yesterday and I keep getting the feeling that I'm a little overwhelmed. Does anyone have any pointers for just starting the game?

Point the Mako down the long hallway and press forward. Choose the bottom right dialog option.

lionelhutz

EviLore said:
Just trolling the game, bro. Be a little more specific about what you want help with.

On Eden Prime I tried hacking a door and immediately blew the hack. Do I press the buttons when lit or just after?

Is there any penalty for adjusting your crew? Do I need to adjust simply on what they're good at or align them with my character class?

Are upgrades shared or available to each weapon and each character?

I'm about 3 hours into the game and I just
became a Spectre.
Is this considered part of the main quest? Side mission? Am I on the right track? Is this game meant to be played more then once with different attributes?I would guess main but after Eden it felt like I was just roaming around the building talking to people.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
lionelhutz said:

Pick either charm or intimidate, and put a few points into one quick, you'll get some easy rewards.

Depending on your spec, put a few level points into your class, and the weapon of choice. Don't spread things too far out, choose a few powers/tech abilities to go with, and concentrate on those.

Oh, and convert all the shitty upgrades/weapons you'll be finding to omni-gel. About every one in 6 will be worth keeping, judging from my most recent playthrough.....except, keep every anti-personnel/anti-geth round.

Point the Mako down the long hallway and press forward. Choose the bottom right dialog option.

:lol

On Eden Prime I tried hacking a door and immediately blew the hack. Do I press the buttons when lit or just after?

Right when they light, the time frame isn't very long.

Is there any penalty for adjusting your crew? Do I need to adjust simply on what they're good at or align them with my character class?

...Adjusting? If you mean switching, there aren't penalties, but you will get small different dialogue options, and miss out on the ally achievements.

Are upgrades shared or available to each weapon and each character?

Shared, if I understand you right. Any weapon mod can go into any character's gun.

I'm about 3 hours into the game and I just became a
Spectre
. Is this considered part of the main quest? Side mission? Am I on the right track? Is this game meant to be played more then once with different attributes?I would guess main but after Eden it felt like I was just roaming around the building talking to people

Main quest, yes, yes.

lionelhutz

Thanks. At least I know I'm on the right track for now. I hate playing RPG type games and getting the feeling I'm missing stuff. It's probably not practical but I like to get everything right on the first pass.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chris Remo said:
I didn't, but I very much doubt it's happening at this point. The audience isn't going to be large enough to make it worthwhile probably, now that the game has been out on another system for months. Hopefully the next game has a simultaneous release.

That's too bad. I honestly want to submit a sample to BioWare, but I just can't be assed to install NWN1 again. That, and I just prefer the SF setting over the Fantasy setting.

lionelhutz said:
Thanks. At least I know I'm on the right track for now. I hate playing RPG type games and getting the feeling I'm missing stuff. It's probably not practical but I like to get everything right on the first pass.

you cant get everything right on the first pass

you unlock bonus talents as you use skills (eg kill 150 enemies using a particular weapon type) that can then be used when you create a new character. the new character can pick one of the bonus skills which will be unlocked from the start.

so for example you can make an adept and give the bonus skill of assault rifles to make that character type much better in a firefight. another example is giving a soldier 'lift' to handle charging/melee enemies

this stuff becomes more important as you unlock and play through harder levels. I am trying to complete insanity with a fresh character, without dieing.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Man if this had been built on the PC, it would've been brilliant. All of that boisterous GAFspeak, way back when, about how Mass Effect is proof that DVD9 doesn't hinder big games is straight bullshit. Fuck me, I can literally feel Bioware's pain, as they crammed the game into that anorexic disc.

Too bad Mass Effect 2 is doomed to the same fate. Fucking DVDs. It's sad to see such potential go to waste.

I really like the game, but Mass Effect is the type of game that should be ported to consoles, not from them. Playing it on the comp, it feels like an incomplete game.

I'll be buying the sequel on the 360. Stripped down console games don't sit well with my old school computer gaming side. Copypasta to save space is not cool.

/emo_drama_troll

P.S. I'm still going to play the Bringing Down The Sky DLC. Free downloads, so good. Shit, maybe that is a reason to buy the PC ports.

Ariexv

K.Jack said:
Man if this had been built on the PC, it would've been brilliant. All of that boisterous GAFspeak, way back when, about how Mass Effect is proof that DVD9 doesn't hinder big games is straight bullshit. Fuck me, I can literally feel Bioware's pain, as they crammed the game into that anorexic disc.

Too bad Mass Effect 2 is doomed to the same fate. Fucking DVDs. It's sad to see such potential go to waste.

I really like the game, but Mass Effect is the type of game that should be ported to consoles, not from them. Playing it on the comp, it feels like an incomplete game.

I'll be buying the sequel on the 360. Stripped down console games don't sit well with my old school computer gaming side. Copypasta to save space is not cool.

/emo_drama_troll

P.S. I'm still going to play the Bringing Down The Sky DLC. Free downloads, so good. Shit, maybe that is a reason to buy the PC ports.
They could easily do Multiple discs

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
K.Jack said:

/emo_drama_troll

Mass Effect didnt even fill the whole 360 disc afaik. The only limitation of the 360 version is the framerate.

Flunkie

Banned
firehawk12 said:
The driving is barely manageable with a controller... I can't imagine the hell that WASD and mouse look would cause.
Actually, it feels a lot better with kb/m.

Loving the game on PC so far. I usually hate RPGs.. but I must say - this is a great game.

PorkFryRice said:
Here's my Bitch of the Universe with neg rep maxed:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2559159986_6b1ce37cbc_b.jpg

Wow. That's exactly the same as the character I created and went Renegade with.

Playing through again for the achievements, I think I'll leave the ally stuff and just get cracking on with the Hardcore/Insanity achievements. It's surprising how short Mass Effect feels when you ignore the clutter and zip straight through. I'll be surprised if the run I'm on takes longer than six hours.

lionelhutz

cleveridea said:
you cant get everything right on the first pass

you unlock bonus talents as you use skills (eg kill 150 enemies using a particular weapon type) that can then be used when you create a new character. the new character can pick one of the bonus skills which will be unlocked from the start.

so for example you can make an adept and give the bonus skill of assault rifles to make that character type much better in a firefight. another example is giving a soldier 'lift' to handle charging/melee enemies

this stuff becomes more important as you unlock and play through harder levels. I am trying to complete insanity with a fresh character, without dieing.

I'm only about 4 hours in now and I think I can already see myself playing through this again. Now I'm not as worried about catching everything the first time. Is there a limit to the number of manual saves you can make?

lionelhutz said:
I'm only about 4 hours in now and I think I can already see myself playing through this again. Now I'm not as worried about catching everything the first time. Is there a limit to the number of manual saves you can make?

on the 360, there is a limit of saves per 'career' which I think is 10 saves. You can have unlimited numbers of careers (new characters)

Don't know on the PC...

lionelhutz said:

You can save as many times as you want.

Edit: You can only have up to either 8 or 10 different careers saved, but you can spam quicksave every 10 secs if you want.

lionelhutz

cleveridea said:
on the 360, there is a limit of saves per 'career' which I think is 10 saves. You can have unlimited numbers of careers (new characters)

Don't know on the PC...

Shit, so do they overwrite at some point or do I really have to pick and choose my manual save points while relying on auto save?

lionelhutz said:
Shit, so do they overwrite at some point or do I really have to pick and choose my manual save points while relying on auto save?

yeah when u hit the limit (which I think is 10) you have to overwrite existing saves. so it may be worthwhile keeping 2 on rotation, as it is possible to get into situations you cant back out of. for instance, during the last half of the game
if you land on virmire without the required level of charm/intimidate or having completed the wrex armor crest its impossible to save his life

the game is quick to rush through if you know what to do/where to go, and skip a lot of the side missions. I think under 10 hours rushing (maybe as low as 5 or 6 for a speed run) also playing with different characters unlocks different achievements and provides altered cutscenes. so its a very replayable game. each of these new careers has its own allotment of save slots, independant of the other career.

this is 360 BTW not tried PC

lionelhutz

cleveridea said:
yeah when u hit the limit (which I think is 10) you have to overwrite existing saves. so it may be worthwhile keeping 2 on rotation, as it is possible to get into situations you cant back out of. for instance, during the last half of the game
if you land on virmire without the required level of charm/intimidate or having completed the wrex armor crest its impossible to save his life

the game is quick to rush through if you know what to do/where to go, and skip a lot of the side missions. I think under 10 hours rushing (maybe as low as 5 or 6 for a speed run) also playing with different characters unlocks different achievements and provides altered cutscenes. so its a very replayable game. each of these new careers has its own allotment of save slots, independant of the other career.

this is 360 BTW not tried PC

Thanks, playing on 360 too.

Wow, I just got the PC version since I don't trust my 360 to survive in the long term and because the interface improvements seemed like they'd make the game more enjoyable...

I assumed that the PC version would have native support for the 360 controller. Didn't bother to research it because it seemed like a given...

Apparently not. No plans for official support either. I've got to edit INI files and use keyboard/mouse emulation software to make the controller work.

That really fucking annoys me. My hand gets damn tired using a mouse and keyboard for long periods of time, but I can hold a 360 controller all day. So now I'm stuck with an opened PC game that I can't return and that doesn't support the method of control I was planning on using with it. I mean, I understand that not every game needs 360 controller support on the PC....but this game was originally a 360 game! Why would they leave that out??? Plenty of games change the interface depending on whether you have the controller plugged in or not...I guess it was too complicated for the people who did the port.

Way to drop the ball guys. Fucking stupid. Even Crysis has 360 controller support, and no one in their right mind would ever want to use that. But a game that started out on the 360, that was originally designed with console play in mind...bah, who would want to play the game the way it was intended?

Zenith

Banned
So now I'm stuck with an opened PC game that I can't return and that doesn't support the method of control I was planning on using with it.........

........so learn to use the the keyboard & mouse.

KingGraham said:
Way to drop the ball guys. Fucking stupid. Even Crysis has 360 controller support, and no one in their right mind would ever want to use that. But a game that started out on the 360, that was originally designed with console play in mind...bah, who would want to play the game the way it was intended?

This does really suck; I usually just assume a game won't have gamepad support unless it's under the Games for Windows marque. I can't imagine why EA didn't use it for the Mass Effect release, since they had no problems publishing Crysis under it, and it's basically tailor-made for Xbox 360 ports. Apparently there's some good kb emulation software that works with the 360 pad, though... good luck.

Danj

Zenith said:
........so learn to use the the keyboard & mouse.

Or just use one of the many utilities out there that lets you map your gamepad to keyboard/mouse functions.

Also, if you want to play this game with a 360 controller, why not play it on the 360, where it was actually designed to use that controller?

lionelhutz

Hazaro said:
So much Mako hate.

Why can't you love it?

I mean it has it's own internal physics laws. :lol

It's probably me more than the Mako. I just can't seem to control it very well. The Mako makes the Warthog seem like a Ferrari.

pringles

I must be the only one who loved the Mako. The controls took a little while to get used to but after I did I had a lot of fun driving around in it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My big problem with the Mako was the aiming and the way you had to inch up mountains.
The bigger game problem is that the Mako's armor and shields do not, at least on the 360 version, scale with the difficulty. If you play on insane and face up against some of the bigger enemies, two or three hits is enough to kill you.

lionelhutz

pringles said:
I must be the only one who loved the Mako. The controls took a little while to get used to but after I did I had a lot of fun driving around in it.

It would probably help me to RTFM. I just found out it has a canon in addition to the machine gun. I'm thinking it might make it a little easier to make it to and from
Zhu's Hope.

TomServo

Deepblue said:
Going through as a femshep right now and I agree completely. Much better delivery all-round.

I just wish I had used a female for paragon. Renegade is fun for a while, then it starts to get really, really weak compared to paragon. Said it some pages back, but it's really suprising, given the strength of the Drak Side story compared to the Light Side in the KoTOR games.

firehawk12 said:
My big problem with the Mako was the aiming and the way you had to inch up mountains.

Same here, sometimes you think you're pointed at an enemy only to shoot somewhere up into the sky. Enemies can easily hit you in this state, however.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
lionelhutz said:
It would probably help me to RTFM. I just found out it has a canon in addition to the machine gun. I'm thinking it might make it a little easier to make it to and from
Zhu's Hope.

Cannon's vital, yeah. The machine gun is really only for use while the cannon's recharging.

lionelhutz

TomServo said:
I just wish I had used a female for paragon. Renegade is fun for a while, then it starts to get really, really weak compared to paragon. Said it some pages back, but it's really suprising, given the strength of the Drak Side story compared to the Light Side in the KoTOR games.

Is it still worth playing as a renegade? Is the dialogue that much different?

Uncle

firehawk12 said:
The bigger game problem is that the Mako's armor and shields do not, at least on the 360 version, scale with the difficulty. If you play on insane and face up against some of the bigger enemies, two or three hits is enough to kill you.

I don't think the gun gets any better either. I'd say that my soldier with maxed out sniper rifle (and all the skills that give combat bonuses) does more damage with my pimped out sniper cannon (without assassination or whatever the special skill with sniper rifles was) than the Mako with it's main cannon.

lionelhutz

Uncle said:
I don't think the gun gets any better either. I'd say that my soldier with maxed out sniper rifle (and all the skills that give combat bonuses) does more damage with my pimped out sniper cannon (without assassination or whatever the special skill with sniper rifles was) than the Mako with it's main cannon.

Too bad you can't add points to your vehicles to make them stronger. Is there a way to steady the sniper rifle? Does that come with upgrades?

lionelhutz said:
Too bad you can't add points to your vehicles to make them stronger. Is there a way to steady the sniper rifle? Does that come with upgrades?

Upgrades, better rifles and points in sniping. The sniper rifle is unstoppable later in the game. Game breaking, almost.

Uncle

lionelhutz said:

The more points you use on it, the more steadier it becomes. I think there are some upgrades that help in the beginning, I just can't remember the names (it should read in the description, though). And of course crouching helps, and using the assasination (or whatever) will stop the swaying completely for one shot.

TomServo

lionelhutz said:
Is it still worth playing as a renegade? Is the dialogue that much different?

Definately worth playing both ways. It just gets pretty thin towards the end if you try to stay hardline renegade. It's just my humble opinion, but it seems like BioWare has a much easier time writing straight-up bad guy (Sith Lord) than they do writing at-all-costs good guy (Renegade).

There are some moments where you'll chuckle, particularly times when renegade Shepherd will just start shooting where paragon Shepherd would have gone five dialogue choices deep into the good-guy stuff.

maladroid

firehawk12 said:
I played Mass effect on the PC, and my main problem was that the Mako movement was independent of the direction you were aiming. So if you were zoomed in trying to pick off enemies, and there'd be fire coming your way, it wasn't just a matter of pressing A to dodge left, you'd have to remember the way you parked the Mako, and then pressing a combination of A, S and D to actually get out of the way. The other thing that got on my nerves was the Mako placement on planets. It always seemed to be on the very opposite end of where I wanted to be, which I know increases length, but when I find something tedious, it isn't very fun to be doing it for an even longer distance than what seems neccessary.

My annoyance for this was compounded by Joker, who managed to land the Mako 10m away from the closing door on Ilos, but when I'm looking for Liara, I have to go all the way around to get to the place where she actually is.

Top Bottom