• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

BeeDog

Damn, my character build is probably screwed up, or there's something seriously wrong with the difficulty balance. Some of the side quests are extremely hard unless you turn down the difficulty a notch, and some others are cakewalks. No real inbetweens.

Anyway, have a question; on some of the explorable planets, there are downed probes (marked as Debris on the map), but when I try to open them up, it says "Electronics: Skill too low". Am I out of luck here, or can some crew member open them up or something?

rs7k

BeeDog said:
Anyway, have a question; on some of the explorable planets, there are downed probes (marked as Debris on the map), but when I try to open them up, it says "Electronics: Skill too low". Am I out of luck here, or can some crew member open them up or something?

Designed for multiple playthroughs I imagine.

ElyrionX

BeeDog said:

In situations like that, the game considers ALL of the party members in your current party of three. So, as long as you have another character in your party that has the required Electronics skill, you will be able to open it. Your main character does not need to have his Electronics skill at the required level to open it.

Haunted

BeeDog said:
Damn, my character build is probably screwed up, or there's something seriously wrong with the difficulty balance. Some of the side quests are extremely hard unless you turn down the difficulty a notch, and some others are cakewalks. No real inbetweens.

You'll need one crew member with a high electronics skill in your team. I have Kaiden as the tech expert (electronics and hacking) with me at all times. He's pretty much worthless in a fight (not vs Geth and robots, though), but I hate not being able to open something, even if the content isn't worth writing home about.

edit: Elyrion's got me covered.

BeeDog

Okay, thanks. I was sure I had some techie with the Electronics skill, but perhaps the skill was just too low then as the popup suggested. Will try again.

Zenith

Banned
This game is almost on par with Deus Ex. My character:

154zjts.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PhlegmMaster said:
To answer your second, I don't think so. Frankly, I wouldn't bother. You'll have to through more than half the game as an engineer to get most of those achievements, and that's gonna suck.

Not really. You can grind on the Citadel during your mission where you get Tali. There are lots of organic bad guys and turrets to hack... just save and keep reloading. It's not fun, but if you want the achievement...

The mines you CAN spam though. Those count toward the total.

funkmastergeneral said:
I really hope the quest reward is good for finding all the keepers in the Citadel because this thing takes fucking forever

Aha. Yeah, you're going to be disappointed. It's a standard XP/money reward.

roxya

funkmastergeneral said:
I really hope the quest reward is good for finding all the keepers in the Citadel because this thing takes fucking forever

I've got one left that I simply cannot find :\

Timber

roxya said:
I've got one left that I simply cannot find :\
it's in a small area that connects the main walkway to... i think it's c-sec. there's no teleport there so you'll have to take the elevator.

at least i presume you mean that one. i had to look it up when i played it because i got too frustrated with that one :D

there's a keeper outside the citadel building but there a damn AI next to it...so whenever i talk to it, the AI would tell me not to bother it. That was my last one.

PorkFryRice said:
there's a keeper outside the citadel building but there a damn AI next to it...so whenever i talk to it, the AI would tell me not to bother it. That was my last one.

Actually you already have that one, there must be a keeper somewhere else you're missing. I had the same experience when I first got the game on the 360.

syllogism

Zenith said:
This game is almost on par with Deus Ex. My character:
How far along are you? Because just no.

It's not even on par with Deus Ex 2*.

*I may be exaggerating, but this game was such a disappointment

hiryu

EviLore said:
Just finished it. The side quests are perhaps the worst side quests of any RPG, ever.

I think I enjoyed Mass Effect so much because I didn't do a single side quest and this made the other negative aspects minor to the great main game. If I had tried to do the side quest there is no way I would of ever finished the game. I really loved the game and from reading your spoilers I guess I should get around to playing as a renegade on my second play through.

Zenith

Banned
syllogism said:
How far along are you? Because just no.

It's not even on par with Deus Ex 2*.

*I may be exaggerating, but this game was such a disappointment

I've completed it. and Deus Ex is my favourite game of all time. so suck on that.

Danj

Just finished this, there was probably a shedload of sidequests that I didn't do though. Ending was nicely epic, but a bit more of an epilogue would have been nice. Still I guess they're saving that for Mass Effect 2 or downloadable content?

Just out of curiosity, can you end up with anyone other than the human girl? I quite fancied the asari, but couldn't figure out what I would have needed to do to make that happen. Or does it depend on what sort of character you start out with?

Lakitu

st5fu
Danj said:
Just finished this, there was probably a shedload of sidequests that I didn't do though. Ending was nicely epic, but a bit more of an epilogue would have been nice. Still I guess they're saving that for Mass Effect 2 or downloadable content?

Just out of curiosity, can you end up with anyone other than the human girl? I quite fancied the asari, but couldn't figure out what I would have needed to do to make that happen. Or does it depend on what sort of character you start out with?

You can bed the asari.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Domino Theory said:
So the only achievements I have left to get are:

Overload
AI Hacking
Damping
Stasis
Sabotage
Neutral Shock

Can anyone tell me which class/classes I have to play through to get these abilities and if there's an easier way to get them besides actually hitting 75 enemies? I know that you could hit the Mako for the Warp and Throw achievement.

As said earlier, most are engineer, but you can do overload and Sabotage with an Infiltrator....of course, they're meant to be snipers, but it's easier than doing everything with an engineer.

For stasis, do an adept, and become a bastion ASAP. Stasis' recharge time drops to like 20-30 seconds, didn't take that long at all

Danj

Y2Kev said:
Is the 360 DLC free now that it's on PC?

They haven't finished porting the DLC to the PC, or something. It's definitely coming though, there is a button for it in the launcher app.

BeeDog

The achievements you get in the PC version, are they stored on some Bioware server or locally? I'm this -> <- close to abandoning them all; definitely the worst side quests ever in a RPG.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Ok, so I had to do my own config file, but I have been playing this maxed out, at 1600x1050 with way above 60fps. This is my SP game of the year by far.
BeeDog said:
The achievements you get in the PC version, are they stored on some Bioware server or locally? I'm this -> <- close to abandoning them all; definitely the worst side quests ever in a RPG.
I wish EA would use the GFW backbone and those achievements were worth something.

Domino Theory said:
Completely blanking out here, but where are the Citadel Transit Terminals?

In every area of the Citadel there's a small orange panel that lets you quick-travel to any other part of the Citadel.

Kittonwy

Banned
hiryu said:
I think I enjoyed Mass Effect so much because I didn't do a single side quest and this made the other negative aspects minor to the great main game. If I had tried to do the side quest there is no way I would of ever finished the game. I really loved the game and from reading your spoilers I guess I should get around to playing as a renegade on my second play through.

You could probably finish the game if you do some of the side quests but the side quests are just really repetitive and meaningless and most of them are just not worth doing imho, it's basically just going through the same 3 levels over and over, I'm not sure but I think I did most if not all of the sidequests and it probably didn't do the game any favor.

I replayed the final battle a couple of weeks ago and I just couldn't bring myself to start a new game, personally I just hated playing a character being referred to as the last chance for humanity, if it was done jokingly I can understand but they take that stuff so seriously, Sheppard is basically just one dude, even the ending was all about
"OH YOU DA MAN UR MR SAVIOUR"

Kittonwy

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Completely blanking out here, but where are the Citadel Transit Terminals?

Instead of going on foot to another section of the map, you travel automatically via a load screen.

Gart

Just finished. Put me down for another disappointed. Worthless skill system. There's no real specialization and too much overlap. Credits are worthless. Buying is pointless. Omni-gel is worthless. They could start you off with 1 million credits and 5000 Omni-gel and it wouldn't make a difference. Equipment, equipment upgrade and management is boring and mindless. Might as well just give me the best weapon, armor, upgrades after a mission and auto equip them the way they have it set up, then I wouldn't have to worry about an over filled inventory and selling and rolling out the lower numbered items.

Side quest suck. You make a frigate, mine shaft, and small base, and you rearrange boxes and rocks in them, instant new area! The stories are rarely compelling.

In other words the "RPG" elements are worthless.

Combat was fun at first but got kind of stale. It lacks variety coupled not so great level design means fail. And singularity, singularity, singularity! Out of singularity? Lift, lift, lift! Win!

They should have just taken out all the RPG elements are focused their energy on the main campaign and turned it into an action adventure. Or make the RPG elements on the lighter side and refine them more around the main campaign.

I like how theres one section of rock missing at the right size on the beach path on Virmire where you can drive the Mako off to your watery death. That must of have been a joke put there by the level designer or something.

Deepblue

Banned
Gart said:
Just finished. Put me down for another disappointed. Worthless skill system. There's no real specialization and too much overlap. Credits are worthless. Buying is pointless. Omni-gel is worthless. They could start you off with 1 million credits and 5000 Omni-gel and it wouldn't make a difference. Equipment, equipment upgrade and management is boring and mindless. Might as well just give me the best weapon, armor, upgrades after a mission and auto equip them the way they have it set up, then I wouldn't have to worry about an over filled inventory and selling and rolling out the lower numbered items.

Side quest suck. You make a frigate, mine shaft, and small base, and you rearrange boxes and rocks in them, instant new area! The stories are rarely compelling.

Combat was fun at first but got kind of stale. It lacks variety coupled not so great level design means fail. And singularity, singularity, singularity! Out of singularity? Lift, lift, lift! Win!

They should have just taken out all the RPG elements are focused their energy on the main campaign and turned it into an action adventure. Or make the RPG elements on the lighter side and refine them more around the main campaign.

I like how theres one section of rock missing at the right size on the beach path on Virmire where you can drive the Mako off to your watery death. That must of have been a joke put there by the level designer or something.
So it wasn't just me.

Gart

Or how bout the one section in the entire game where they let you climb a box to get an item. It's so wierd, the game is pretty confined and restricting and you can't jump or anything, but wait, out of nowhere an animation to climb a box in a single location in the entire game!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Gart said:

Buying is worth it. Especially the second time through. I've bought some bad ass Spectre hardware I couldn't get anywhere else.

Deepblue

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Buying is worth it. Especially the second time through. I've bought some bad ass Spectre hardware I couldn't get anywhere else.
Yup, the only things you need to buy are the Spectre weapons and probably the Colossus X armor.

Ventrue

Gart said:
Or how bout the one section in the entire game where they let you climb a box to get an item. It's so wierd, the game is pretty confined and restricting and you can't jump or anything, but wait, out of nowhere an animation to climb a box in a single location in the entire game!

What? Where was this?

Opiate

I got stuck in that spot too.

By the way, I find the optimal Engineer/Biotic llama is Garrus. He's capable of doing both for you, and he's not completely incompetent in a fight.

Of course, if you're already a biotic/tech, that's all irrelevant, but that's not how this conversation started.

FoeHammer

Just finished the Bringing Down the Sky DLC. Awesome addition and I hope they have some more planned.

I see a lot of dissenting opinions in here and although I recognize some of the faults, Mass Effect is still the best game I've played this generation.

I just finished the PC version today and I have to say that I'm disappointed. EviLore sums up most of my complaints pretty well. I seriously can't believe how horrible the side quests were. It's absurd that they only managed to have about 4 different interiors for the side quests and actually had the balls to make you go through the same interior multiple times for the same side quest. Also, why are any of the collection quests actually considered quests when you don't even get a reward for finishing them? You would think you would get some kind of bonus tidbit of information for collecting a set of Prothean data discs.

And for fucks sake, give the Mako some speed boosters. I'm tired of slowly crawling up hills.

I did too many side quests and it tainted my Mass Effect experience. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the production values for the side quests were the problem, because I honestly think the entire Cerebus storyline may be better than the actual Saren/Sovereign storyline.

Just like the main quest, the five "planets" all add something bigger to the mystery of Cerebus and of course, there was the pretty cool "Starship Troopers" mission that comes out of the Cerebus quest-line. It's just that there weren't the cutscenes/voice acting to back up all that extra story.

It was only in my second playthrough that I even noticed that almost every single side mission was connected to each other... and that it ends in a cliffhanger, just like the main quest, implying that the Cerebus organization will be back in the next game.

aznpxdd

Playing this on PC, and just got to the galaxy map. So...is it just me or is the driving part horrible. I mean wow, its completely killing the game for me.

Deepblue

Banned
aznpxdd said:
Playing this on PC, and just got to the galaxy map. So...is it just me or is the driving part horrible. I mean wow, its completely killing the game for me.
It helps to go into first person view while driving, but yeah. ME2 needs Halo-style vehicle controls.

Nikorasu

I can't really understand the hatred for the mako segments. Yeah it can be annoying sometimes, but it really didn't bother me that much, at least not nearly enough to affect my enjoyment of the game. The first few times I was too busy admiring the landscapes and atmosphere to notice. With the subtle film grain and the amazing backdrops, falling meteors, sun flare, etc - it was the first time it really struck me how great the game looked. Just like an old classic sci-fi film.

On my second playthough as a male renegade now. If I have one complaint its how boring the male Shepard VA is. Jennifer Hale is so much more interesting its not even funny.

Top Bottom