• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

I started playing ME just recently (just now leaving the Citadel to hunt Saren), and I'm reading the novels at the same time. I was halfway through Revelation before I realized the main character is the initial Captain of the Normandy at the beginning of the game. :lol

Interesting to see his past with Saren on the one hand and then see later ramifications of it on the other.

Does anyone know if the Ascension book is set after ME or before/concurrent?

Okay, I've got a little problem I don't know if anyone has experienced it as well or what.

I'm way past this part, but when I was on Novaria, you know how there are two ways to do the thing you need to do? Well, I did one, but the other one is open (quest wise). Specifically, I didn't help the guy at the hotel, the turian. However, the quest never closed despite me finding another way, so I'm trying to finish it, since I'm attempting the ally acheivement (and I'm missing a story quest for it, so here I sit).

Problem is, whenever I would try to talk to him, he would say "have a drink, what can I do for you?" and my character automatically says "I should let you go" and that's it. I've destroyed the SI security machine upstairs, but the elevator is still locked and he simply won't proceed with dialogue. So therefore I left the planet and on to other stuff. Here I am about to go to the final area, and need o finish that quest, but it's giving me the same problems I had when trying to finish it while I was there for the first time.

Has anyone run in to this problem or know what I should do? I've tried talking to all seemingly relevant characters in the area but none seem to advance this. The quest itself simply instructs me to "talk to Lorik" in the hotel. But like I said, the convo auto-quits..

EDIT : I'm pretty sure somehow I just missed a dialogue option and the quest is just stuck forever. He even shows up as an exclaimation point and all. Sigh

stupei

Blast Processing said:
Does anyone know if the Ascension book is set after ME or before/concurrent?

After. You should probably hold off on reading that one before you read the game, it opens with a bit of a spoiler.

Chris R

Just started playing today. About 3 hours in, on the snow planet enjoying the game even with the horrible FPS and long ass loads/elevators, and then I get into the Mako. WTF is up with the shitty controls? :lol Died because the stupid cannon with rockets was hitting me non-stop and I couldn't steer away. Any tips for the Mako? Wasn't interested at all in ME2 but now after playing for a bit, I can see myself actually buying one 360 game this fall/winter.

rhfb said:
Just started playing today. About 3 hours in, on the snow planet enjoying the game even with the horrible FPS and long ass loads/elevators, and then I get into the Mako. WTF is up with the shitty controls? :lol Died because the stupid cannon with rockets was hitting me non-stop and I couldn't steer away. Any tips for the Mako? Wasn't interested at all in ME2 but now after playing for a bit, I can see myself actually buying one 360 game this fall/winter.

Yeah, the tip for the Mako is stay in it as little as possible. Such a piece of crap. I mean, it's useful and effective, but I really don't like roaming around on the same area over and over again so I limit my time as best I can. Plus, you get more XP for killing things on foot rather than in the vehicle. Though sometimes it is almost essential.

So, having just beat the game a second time, I can say without a doubt I enjoyed it a whole lot more. The first time through I felt like I was stumbling blindly through a bunch of different things - too much stuff really to absorb, especially stuff you don't need on the normal difficulty (like wep/armor mods, completely irrelevant to curve of difficulty). My first playthrough was 15 hours - I did some sidequests and whatnot, but felt like I was so jumbled.

The second time through it took me 30 hours and I did almost everything, including the DLC. I really, really enjoyed it on the harder difficulty (hardcore), it's almost like a completely different game.

In short, I think this game is really great, amazing graphics, engaging combat, and useful/attention keeping level system (as to say where I put points) when on a more difficult setting.

That said, I can't wait to play on Insane, though I have yet to decide what character class I want to use - I did my first time through as a Vanguard and the second time as a Sentinel, so still thinking it over.

Chris R

Ok thanks for that tip :|

And is there any way to zoom out with the sniper rifles or are they all one zoom only? I'm using a pistol right now, but would like to use a sniper rifle but they just zoom in way too much.

Yeah, guess it was kind of a shitty tip. Sorry.

EDIT: I find the Mako after a short while to be pretty easy to control. Mainly, stay focused on a particular target with teh right stick, if trying to wither it down with the cannon and rapid fire, and slightly move to the left or right with the right stick. You really don't need to move at all, I mean .. (this places your vehicle "sideways" as compared to the object you are facing, therefore the cannon is looking to the right or left, not forward or back) Generally big turrets are comprised of rockets, therefore when the rocket is fired, a slight shimmy to the left will suffice while you continue to wither down the enemy.

If that's not what you meant about controls, I'm not sure what you mean.

BlueWord

I'm on my first playthrough of this now, just finished up
Feros
. Reminds me a lot of KoToR, but better. The plot is pretty interesting, but I'd say it's the world that really pulls you in. BioWare has done a great job of creating a believable, interesting world, much better than they did in Jade Empire.

Quick question; what is the best order to do the planets? So far, I've done
Prothean Ruins (Where you get Liara, forgot the name), Noveria, and Feros. I'm headed to Vercire, next.
Going forward, is there a "best way" to tackle this stuff? It seems like I missed out on a potential quest with
Admiral Kohoku
because of the order I went in.

BlueWord said:
I'm on my first playthrough of this now, just finished up
Feros
. Reminds me a lot of KoToR, but better. The plot is pretty interesting, but I'd say it's the world that really pulls you in. BioWare has done a great job of creating a believable, interesting world, much better than they did in Jade Empire.

Quick question; what is the best order to do the planets? So far, I've done
Prothean Ruins (Where you get Liara, forgot the name), Noveria, and Feros. I'm headed to Vercire, next.
Going forward, is there a "best way" to tackle this stuff? It seems like I missed out on a potential quest with
Admiral Kohoku
because of the order I went in.

I don't think you miss out on any quests in particular due to doing anything in a certain order, at least that has been my experience.

However, I think the best way to do it would be to first get Liara then go to Novaria. The only reason I suggest that is that I think Novaria is the best story planet in the game. I just like the atmosphere, the area, and the line of quests available. Feros really turns me off with the "ruined skyway" sort of thing and the end bit. Just wasn't that big a fan - so I like to play Novaria early when I'm lower level and it's more of a challenge and enjoyable to me.

But to answer your basic question, I'm pretty sure there is no
"best way" to deal with that, unless you're going for something specific (Asari Ally Achievement or whathaveyou).

EDIT: I love your avatar/name.

Eagle 209

Banned
So, I'm curious, what was the favorite ending for those of you out there. I personally like being a nice guy in these sort of games, so I liked the good guy, the council and anderson.

What do you think?

Eagle 209 said:
So, I'm curious, what was the favorite ending for those of you out there.

What do you think?

I find all of the endings to be about the same as far as impact on me. After the scene of
Shepard walking from the rubble and the sun/brightness glinting behind her/him as she/he walks toward the comrades
, I consider the story done. That's the peak for me.

sethcheek

NarcissisticJay said:
Hmm , if all my plays are with the same character.. the last one will count?

I made some decisons in my 3rd that I want to change, so Ill be doing a fourth.

Only my final decisions will count?

Any word on this? Is it worth playing through a final time to correct any decisions I didn't like on previous playthroughs?

DuckRacer

So I decided I wanted to do a third playthrough with my main Shepard character (to reach level 60, among other things). I load the save, go through the motions, and about 10 minutes later I turn off my 360 (without saving) because I had to go somewhere.

I come back tonight, I try to do the New Game+ ordeal with my main Shepard... and there's no option to load a previous playthough. I can only create a new character.

WTF is going on? How do I fix this?

edit: I completed the end of an autosave I had, and the option reappeared. Thing is, only the save I just finished appeared. I still have an endgame autosave for my FemShepard playthrough, but my first, original playthrough is seemingly gone forever. Pure bullshit.

big_z

im at the part where i get to choose who dies. not sure who should explode.... kaiden dies in seconds every fight, although he has nice abilities where as ashley fights well but is a total bitch.

does ashleys personality change at all later in the game? does kaiden have anything of interest to say later on?

DieH@rd

Banned
Ive started my first playtrough of Mass Effect [on Glorius PC Master Race rig]. So far I have
rescued Liara [she and my char are pretty close, i expect some sexy action with them soon :D], saved Feros from that plant thingy, and im currently on the Earth's moon, killin' that AI.

big_z said:
im at the part where i get to choose who dies. not sure who should explode.... kaiden dies in seconds every fight, although he has nice abilities where as ashley fights well but is a total bitch.

does ashleys personality change at all later in the game? does kaiden have anything of interest to say later on?

Nah, she stays pro-human neo hitler bitch the whole way through. But she is kind of good looking, Kaiden I don't really think so.

Parham

Banned
I finished the game last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I ran into some technical glitches along the way, but I quick saved enough in the game that it was a non-issue. One minor quibble I have is the way the conversations transitioned. Sometimes the faces would jump in the middle of a conversation to adjust to the next scene very jarringly. Other than that, my only real complaint is
the Bioshock-esque ending with Saren. After building up such a grand climax, the game ultimately ends with me fighting a mutated version of Saren.

Mindlog

Kureishima said:
Nah, she stays pro-human neo hitler bitch the whole way through. But she is kind of good looking, Kaiden I don't really think so.

She has some 'redeeming' dialogue in the Terra Firma Party sequence.

I control the Mako better than I do a Halo warthog. frickin weird

oh yeah

GO GO GO

Funny that I see this thread bumped because I just started a new Mass Effect game today. Picking up with my Level 56 character to try to finish him off at the max level to ready for Mass Effect 2. Aside from a few flaws like the auto-saves being too far apart from one another, and the dialogue options not always being clear enough, I'm loving it as much as I did when it first came out. Looking forward to Mass Effect 2.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
ToyMachine228 said:
Picking up with my Level 56 character to try to finish him off at the max level to ready for Mass Effect 2.

That's not really necessary since the stats of your character won't carry over to the next game. You'll start at lvl 1. The ME1/2 connection is all about the story choices you made

I thought Ashley was really fucking ugly. I make sure she dies all the time.

Wrex and that Krogan dude all the way!

Edit-Yes Wrex and Garrus.

I thought Ashley was sexy, fuck Kaiden.

And yes, you can do of Ashley a better person if you play the good guy, I know I did.

And I didnt know that female Sheppard has the voice of Samus, funny thing is that without knowing I named her like that and choosed the pirates assalted her planet when she was small and killed her family option :lol
Now im playing with her in difficult and she is a bitch. I dont like being so mean in this games, but I want to see the results.

Articate

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
And I didnt know that female Sheppard has the voice of Samus

She's Bastilla in Knights of The Old Republic. She's Samus. She's Naomi in MGS4. She's Emma Emmerich in MGS2. She's... she's been around.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I thought Ashley was sexy, fuck Kaiden.

And yes, you can do of Ashley a better person if you play the good guy, I know I did.

And I didnt know that female Sheppard has the voice of Samus, funny thing is that without knowing I named her like that and choosed the pirates assalted her planet when she was small and killed her family option :lol
Now im playing with her in difficult and she is a bitch. I dont like being so mean in this games, but I want to see the results.

I thought it was cool to play the mean bitch. Mine has some red hair and stuff, looked like she didn't take shit and punched out rambling assistants.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Articate said:
She's Bastilla in Knights of The Old Republic. She's Samus. She's Naomi in MGS4. She's Emma Emmerich in MGS2. She's... she's been around.

:O I didn't know this. Time for yet another playthrough.

Darunia said:
That's not really necessary since the stats of your character won't carry over to the next game. You'll start at lvl 1. The ME1/2 connection is all about the story choices you made
Can your ME1 character change your class? I'm hoping that's a possibility.

Firestorm

Beowulf28 said:
I'm about to start my first playthrough soon and I wanted to know which class is best for a beginner?

I'm gonna play on PC btw
Probably Soldier. Overdrive + Assault Rifles was basically all I needed.

TeardropConnors

Neo Member
Beowulf28 said:
I'm about to start my first playthrough soon and I wanted to know which class is best for a beginner?

I'm gonna play on PC btw

I really enjoyed playing as Vanguard, made me feel very powerful by the end of the game.

Darunia said:

Actually there could be some bonuses that your character receives based on what level you obtained and what stats you had. They've hinted at it on their website at least, but havn't given a real answer.

Flunkie

Banned
Really wish I would have kept my PC save. I deleted it right after I finished the game, not knowing that it would matter. I had all the perfect choices, too.
I kept Ashley and had sex with her, saved Wrex, and said, "Fuck you!" to the Counsil.

I'm now reading Revelation and really want to play ME again. I think I'll do it on 360, cause I'd worse comes to worst, I can just download a PC save with the same decisions, since levels and everything else doesn't matter.

BlueWord

Just beat this yesterday. On the whole, definitely one of my favorite games of this gen... the ending is especially awesome, probably the best and most satisfying ending in a game yet, IMHO.

The glitches got a little annoying, and I suppose the game suffered a little from being the first in a trilogy (it felt like a lot of the "major" decisions I made had little effect on this game, and I expect I'll see more in the sequel).

I can say that that ME2 just shot up on my list. Definitely a day one, for me.

Beowulf28 said:

I'm gonna play on PC btw

Honestly, if you're playing through on the normal difficulty, it doesn't matter what class you pick. The game is a sleepfest on regular... just fyi... Even hardcore is not hard.

But Vanguard is a cool class as it gives you a taste of soldier and mage in one.. but again, I did Vanguard on my first playthrough (on the standard difficulty) and the extreme easiness of the game made me very very bored and disappointed.

Firestorm said:
You reaaalllyyyy don't want to play the 360 version

The PC version runs so nice it kind of shits on the 360 version. But I played the 360 version first, and having not seen the PC version in motion, I thought it looked good/great minus some fairly serious issues.

About to finish another Mass Effect play through. Hadn't played the game in forever until recently. I really love the universe. Even considering picking up one of the Mass Effect books after playing the game again. That said, there's a lot for Bioware to improve upon in ME2 such as the framerate, and how the characters eyes look...And how some of the dialog text options don't really match what Shepeard says or does verbally/physically. Anyway, those minor gripes aside, I'm glad I decided to pick Mass Effect back up this summer.

Has anyone here read the Mass Effect novels or comics? How are they?

Flunkie

Banned
Firestorm said:
You reaaalllyyyy don't want to play the 360 version
I know, but I'm just so tempted to borrow my friend's copy and play it.

I just know that PC guys are gonna get screwed and are gonna have to end up waiting longer, so this sucks.

Parham

Banned
Flunkie said:
I just know that PC guys are gonna get screwed and are gonna have to end up waiting longer, so this sucks.

I believe that Mass Effect 2 will be released on both platforms simultaneously.

Flunkie said:
I know, but I'm just so tempted to borrow my friend's copy and play it.

Every time I've talked to Zeschuk and Muzyka about this, they've said the game is being co-developed internally and it should be simultaneous. Look at Dragon Age, that's also internally co-developed for both systems, and 360 and PC are launching at the same time.

Mrbob

Wait, I just read no NEWGAME+ in Mass Effect 2? Well that blows.

The main reason I replayed Mass Effect were the stat bonuses tied to achievements.

Top Bottom