• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

gregor7777 said:
I'm assuming this is just like a patch? Hopefully there isn't a problem with the Steam version.

I get this error message with the Steam version:

Mass Effect CD Key not found.
You must run the Steam version of Mass Effect at least once to have the CD Key properly installed by Steam. Once this has happened, try running this installer again.

It seems that it supports Steam, but something isn't working because I've played the Steam version plenty. Nothing I've tried has gotten the installer to work.

I would love to get the red and white Ashley armor but I refuse to buy any of the avatar marketplace stuff as it is set up now. I feel as though separating the armors from the helmets like that is really really really nickle and diming people, don't want to derail so I'll leave it at that.

I will definitely get the DLC, I don't give a fuck if it's only 2 hours, the first DLC was short too.

Peff

SlickVic said:
So what I'm gathering there isn't much in terms of a story in this DLC it's mainly combat challenges? If so I'm not sure how eager I am in buying it.

There is pretty much zero story. There is an attempt at giving the whole thing a sidequesty feeling but it's like 40-50 seconds long max. Think of it as an offline online mode with two or three conversations slapped on.

SlickVic

Peff said:
There is pretty much zero story. There is an attempt at giving the whole thing a sidequesty feeling but it's like 40-50 seconds long max. Think of it as an offline online mode with two or three conversations slapped on.

Thanks for clearing it up. Sounds neat but if there's no real story to it I think I'll save the money.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Here is my dude with the armor (I'm a consumer whore), I hate how it clings to the avatar so much. If I make him a little fatter it looks just a tad better.

The DLC sucks. The different missions go from being embarrassingly easy to frustrating (playing on insanity), and actually for one of the missions one map it was incredibly easy and the other map it was frustrating. Not sure if it's worth the $5.

Chinner

Banned
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
The DLC sucks. The different missions go from being embarrassingly easy to frustrating (playing on insanity), and actually for one of the missions one map it was incredibly easy and the other map it was frustrating. Not sure if it's worth the $5.
what kind of character you got? gold standard?

firehawk12 said:
I guess there's no story at all then?

Not really. I can see why they didn't bother to hype it up at all.

Chinner said:
what kind of character you got? gold standard?

Soldier, lvl 59. I pretty much sit in a corner during survival doing nothing and get 1st place. On hunt in the subterranean course I got 126 kills and had racked up about 6:00 minutes, on the Volcanic course I can't get passed 28 kills, it seems like it stops giving me extra time when I kill something. I havn't done the time trials yet.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, a PC patch that doesn't fix what's in its changelog. And DLC that is essentialy a 1-hour long combat run.

Sounds like they've really hit this one out of the ballpark.

Chinner

Banned
If you're expecting story based missions then don't play this. If you just want to play some gameplay scenarios and genuinely enjoy ME gameplay then play this.

Oh and why the fuck does that voice keep saying "Dammit Shepard, that medigel ain't free!" When I'm not even using any medigel and since the whole thing is a simulation wouldn't the medigel be not real and therefore free, or did I miss something.

Peff

firehawk12 said:
I guess there's no story at all then?

This is all the story (not really spoilers but anyway):

Human Incharge: Hello Shepard! You gotta check this awesome simulator out!
(when you are first for the first time)
Turian: YOU CHEATED! You and that other human, nobody could possibly beat me! Beat me seven more times and I will think you're legit and give you a not-so-good weapon.
(You do so)
Turian: Ah, well.
(After you beat the newly unlocked challenges)
Human Incharge: Hey, you youngsters are actually weak. Win this simulation of one of my missions when I was super awesome and I'll give you my apartment.
(You do so)
Human Incharge: Ah, well.
END

EDIT: Who knows, bullets are supposed to be real. Then again
the guy has an unlimited supply of Medigel in his house so he's not one to talk :lol

dankir

New DLC and queued up. XBLA has been on fire lately I fucking love it and more Mass Effect is ALWAYS welcome.

Time to start my 3rd run on insane now.

corpserot

Haven't been this frustrated with a game in a long time, these hunt missions are just ridiculous, on the last one, I get to the last 2-3 kills and they just stop spawning. Worst DLC I have payed for, glad it was only 400.

Basileus777 said:

You must run the Steam version of Mass Effect at least once to have the CD Key properly installed by Steam. Once this has happened, try running this installer again.

It seems that it supports Steam, but something isn't working because I've played the Steam version plenty. Nothing I've tried has gotten the installer to work.

Well, they need to get that shit sorted.

It was pretty meh overall. I'm in the
new apartment and boy he was right, the locale is really barren, must suck having a nice pad
OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF FUCKING NOWHERE

Basileus777 said:

Not sure if this will help, but just a week ago I got BDtS for the Steam version of the game. You have to go to Bioware's site and register to get a Bioware ID, from there you have to go and register your ME cd key. This will generate a BDtS (or, presumably, one for the new DLC) "cd key" that you then have to use when you download the DLC and install it. From there, just play the game as normal from your Steam list.

It was a huge pain in the ass and required some googling to find cached pages due to broken links on the Bioware site, but in the end I got BDtS, and I'm guessing this will be the way to get the new shit, too.

edit: just ignore that, I just realized the DLC is coming from the EA Store, not the Bioware site

firehawk12 said:
Seriously. I know they're amping up for ME2 but this is pretty disappointing.

This.

I actually put some hours into Mass Effect recently, just to get up to speed with the combat again and refresh my memory of the story but...man...this is underwhelming at best.

Blast Processing said:
Not sure if this will help, but just a week ago I got BDtS for the Steam version of the game. You have to go to Bioware's site and register to get a Bioware ID, from there you have to go and register your ME cd key. This will generate a BDtS (or, presumably, one for the new DLC) "cd key" that you then have to use when you download the DLC and install it. From there, just play the game as normal from your Steam list.

It was a huge pain in the ass and required some googling to find cached pages due to broken links on the Bioware site, but in the end I got BDtS, and I'm guessing this will be the way to get the new shit, too.

Yeah, I had to do that to install BDtS. But it seems like this installer is intended to work with Steam, it just isn't doing it correctly. It doesn't even ask for me to manually enter my cd Key, it searches for it automatically and can't find it. There are some other people having this problem on the Bioware forums, so it's not just me.

The 1.02 patch is out on Steam, but the DLC still won't install.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Peff said:
This is all the story (not really spoilers but anyway):

Human Incharge: Hello Shepard! You gotta check this awesome simulator out!
(when you are first for the first time)
Turian: YOU CHEATED! You and that other human, nobody could possibly beat me! Beat me seven more times and I will think you're legit and give you a not-so-good weapon.
(You do so)
Turian: Ah, well.
(After you beat the newly unlocked challenges)
Human Incharge: Hey, you youngsters are actually weak. Win this simulation of one of my missions when I was super awesome and I'll give you my apartment.
(You do so)
Human Incharge: Ah, well.
END

EDIT: Who knows, bullets are supposed to be real. Then again
the guy has an unlimited supply of Medigel in his house so he's not one to talk :lol

Christ. Well, at least no one has a right to complain about BDtS now.
I assume they voiced Shepard... but are your party members just silent robots that follow you around during the cutscenes like they were in BDtS?

firehawk12 said:
Christ. Well, at least no one has a right to complain about BDtS now.
I assume they voiced Shepard... but are your party members just silent robots that follow you around during the cutscenes like they were in BDtS?

You only have your party members with you're in the simulation. They don't even walk around the station with you.

Time trial really brings out the flaws in Mass Effect's fighting system.

Beowulf28

SlickVic said:
Looks like the DLC is up for PC here.

Unlike BtDS, looks like PC gamers will have to pay for this one ($5 which is equivalent to what it costs on 360).
Fuck that. $5 isn't worth an hour of a lame survival mode.

I fucking swear hunt on volcanic is broken. On the other map you got seconds or so per kill, on this map I get that til about the 20th kill and then it gives 1 second per kill, and then it spreads the geth all over the map so you have to run to them and there's not enough time... blah, blah, blah.

Mindlog

brandonh83 said:
It was pretty meh overall. I'm in the
new apartment and boy he was right, the locale is really barren, must suck having a nice pad
OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF FUCKING NOWHERE
Check the PC.

You can now gamble for premium gear.

***I will be a little surprised if this doesn't make it into ME2.

xbhaskarx said:
So a $5 mission, a premium theme, two sets of avatar armor, and an avatar helmet? Sweet.

I wonder whose idea the theme and the avatar shit was. If MS asked them to come up with this stuff, they're just making Bioware look bad (not that they don't do that enough on their own).

Mindlog said:
Check the PC.

You can now gamble for premium gear.

yeah, there's no way I'm blowing my money until I get some more details on this... it's like that damn crow in Lost Odyssey all over again :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit. WHY DIDN'T BIOWARE ADVERTISE THIS!?

ARGH! Now I have to get an MS point card for September. DAMN IT.

ezekial45

Banned
Damn, i finished it in little more than an hour. It was pretty fun, but i wished it was longer.
The apartment you get at the end of it is pretty nice though.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I fucking swear hunt on volcanic is broken. On the other map you got seconds or so per kill, on this map I get that til about the 20th kill and then it gives 1 second per kill, and then it spreads the geth all over the map so you have to run to them and there's not enough time... blah, blah, blah.

Same as, I cannot do this level for love nor money

Ponti

The difficulty varies hugely depending on map, I honestly think some of the maps are impossible to do on Insanity (with an Infiltrator at least). Had to turn the difficulty down to actually get somewhere.

"Dammit Shepard that medigel ain't free!" has become the new "ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!". Very annoying.
On the plus side Shepards new apartment is quite nice

I also don't see how this is bridging the story between ME and ME2.

MikeDub said:
Same as, I cannot do this level for love nor money

I've given up for the time being, gotten pretty close though. Pretty much you just have to get lucky with where and if the geth spawn. The closest I got, towards the end there was 1 geth on the map and he was too far away to be worth the time, and more didn't spawn for at least 5 seconds. Killed my chance.

It's just luck.

Finally did it with 48 kills...

Asmodai

Banned
Ponti said:
The difficulty varies hugely depending on map, I honestly think some of the maps are impossible to do on Insanity (with an Infiltrator at least). Had to turn the difficulty down to actually get somewhere.

"Dammit Shepard that medigel ain't free!" has become the new "ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!". Very annoying.
On the plus side Shepards new apartment is quite nice

I also don't see how this is bridging the story between ME and ME2.

My Infiltrator has that ability where "Immunity" recharges faster than he uses it, basically allowing for permanent semi-invincibility even on Insanity difficulty. Just remember to keep engaging it.

Unless your infiltrator is really low level or something, he should have this ability too.

Pity about the patch and DLC. They seemed like a nice excuse to play ME one last time, but the DLC sounds like one of the early and frustrating user-made Spore adventures, and how they could not fix Garrus' face after all this time is beyond me.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Basileus777 said:
The patch is already up on Steam. It auto-patched me earlier today.
Hmm, I just turned my notebook on for the first time in two weeks, and I haven't seen an update yet.

I wish Bioware put the version number on the menu screen. I guess I'll just check if the dynamic shadows look better. I'll have to reverse the ini shadows fix first.

SlickVic said:
Looks like the DLC is up for PC here.

Unlike BtDS, looks like PC gamers will have to pay for this one ($5 which is equivalent to what it costs on 360).
EA store :( .. I hope it gets put up on Steam

I like the new
apartment you get
, I wonder if we will get to use it in ME2

K.Jack said:
Hmm, I just turned my notebook on for the first time in two weeks, and I haven't seen an update yet.

I wish Bioware put the version number on the menu screen. I guess I'll just check if the dynamic shadows look better. I'll have to reverse the ini shadows fix first.
just run MassEffectConfig in \mass effect\Binaries to get version numbers/key's/ect

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
MrTroubleMaker said:
just run MassEffectConfig in \mass effect\Binaries to get version numbers/key's/ect
Thanks for the tip.

The Dynamic Shadows look great now. I'm disappointed about Garrus' face though. He still looks like Mason Verger from the movie Hannibal.

Top Bottom