• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

dejan

Thanks for the update Che! What character class are you playing btw?

<edit>Missed page 4 of this thread. So a female soldier it is.</edit>

chespace said:
oh my dear god, this game is amazing so far....wow.

I haven't really followed Mass Effect through the stages, except the occasional screenshot, but jesus christ the graphics in this game are ridiculously good... and WTF, Bioware basically created a 3rd person shooter a la GRAW, complete with cover system.

then underneath that is a deep RPG with an intriguing story and really good voice acting.

only a few hours in so far so take these impressions with a grain of salt. but whoooa, 30+ hours of this sort of bliss? who knows, maybe it'll suck in the 20th hour.

I can see myself leaving COD4 in its wrapper until I'm done with Mass Effect.

I'll post more detailed impressions once I get further into the game.

Wow...keep us updated. Hype...rising.

PnCIa

chespace said:
1852723472_0ade3c7ef0.jpg
That pic sold the game for me. That´s like i imagine huge alien planets, are there also weather effects like dust storms?

JayDubya

Banned
Chespace, as a man after my own heart, playing a Soldier right off, care to talk about the soldier skills like Assault Training and what they do? And what more ranks in Combat Armor does? And hell, more detail on gun skills too, maybe?

Also - can you talk about the characteristics and skills of Ashley, Kaiden, Garrus, etc?

xbhaskarx

Francias Castiglione said:
Christ on a moon buggy! This game is immense.

Che: How are the physics on the buggy? Will we be seeing YouTube videos of crazy stunts or is it simply A-to-B transport (with boosters)?

In other words, does this game have Car Vault? If not, no GoTY from me.

Iama

godhandiscen said:
Not trolling here, but I hope this is good from a shooter's point of view. I know this is an RPG, and asking for it to be a good shooter is sorta stupid, but besides Halo 3, I haven't experienced a great sci-fi shooter this year. COD4 is not sci-fi, and the Orange Box is lacking when it comes to being a shooter so this is my last hope for this year.

I don't think that you'll be pleased if u look with shooter's eyes. I mean, there is a fighter carachter that use guns very often but, beside of that, is still an rpg.
If you don't act as an rpg wants i think that u don't go too far away.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
antiloop said:
Sounds ace.

Would have prefered to play this on PC though. damn.

Why? 3rd person action combat would suck*, driving would suck*, even the conversation trees powered by pie menus would be less intuative. It's already awesome graphically so no need for a powerful rig, and you're going to be playing it for hours on end so it makes sense to do that in the most comfortable gaming position (ie couch)...yep, this game = better on console.

*suck = be worse than playing with a controller

Scribble

How are the characters? Are they as interesting as KOTOR/KOTOR 2's party members? Do they feel bland? And most importantly, have any made you laugh?

EDIT: Oh, and are there many scenes where the party members interact with each other (not including you).

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
xbhaskarx said:
WTF. How come no one has mentioned this until now?

SERIOUSLY. This totally changes the game for me. I was under the impression that each planet basically had one spot (city/outpost/ruins/etc.) that you could visit. I had no idea it was so open!

Is there a demo planned for Mass Effect? I remember an interview where one of the BioWare guys hinted that a demo could make its way to Xbox Live, but I've heard nothing since.

Oh, nice impressions CheSpace, UE3 looks like it is finally delivering on its potential. So much for "all UE3 games look the same" I guess.

Draft

I'm actually starting to believe the hype. I hated Jade Empire SO MUCH that it was easy to ignore all the praise being heaped on Mass Effect, but I'm starting to believe.

antiloop

Ghost said:
Why? 3rd person action combat would suck*, driving would suck*, even the conversation trees powered by pie menus would be less intuative. It's already awesome graphically so no need for a powerful rig, and you're going to be playing it for hours on end so it makes sense to do that in the most comfortable gaming position (ie couch)...yep, this game = better on console.

*suck = be worse than playing with a controller

A KOTOR thing. I played those on PC. :)

szaromir

Banned
Draft said:
I'm actually starting to believe the hype. I hated Jade Empire SO MUCH that it was easy to ignore all the praise being heaped on Mass Effect, but I'm starting to believe.
While the combat stuff sucked grom the very beginning, in terms of role-playing the first 3 chapters in Jade Empire were probably the best RPG stuff I have played (Fallout was as good when I think about it). The latter chapters however were totally without substance, possibly because the game was rushed. I am full of hope for Mass Effect.

ghostmind

Anyone remember Planet's Edge - the old PC game from New World Computing?

4mk0y6v.png

That game was awesome. This game will be awesome. My GOTY.

I only wish that I could purchase the CE retail herein the states. I'm too impatient to wait for this game and couldn't stand not to play it on day one. I hope I'll be able to get my hands on the extras from Bioware somehow (i.e. .pdf downloads, or extras only package purchase). I would've paid whatever retail price they wanted but I just can't take a chance of waiting on Mass Effect to be delivered. Oh well.......

voltron

I dont know whether to play as a girl first up or not. That potential lesbian encounter(s?) is super distracting.

voltron

Midas said:
Are games from Microsoft usually region free or not?

Some are. I just bought PGR4 region free. Forza 2 was supposed to be but didnt end up for some reason and the one and only Halo 3 WAS region free.

watership

chespace said:
Wow, and just to make sure I wasn't talking out my ass, I just drove to those mountains in the background and actually found some more minerals. Sweet. :D

This game is like a modern day Starflight. Except infinitely better.

Landing on planets, hunting for minerals. Star Control II feeling is coming back too.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I'll post more impressions and answer questions later today. Going to play more now. :D

Dude, this game is too much. It just keeps throwing shit at you to do. I'm about 10 hours into the game and I've barely even touched the main quest.

To answer the question about the moon buggy physics... no it definitely isn't a canned go-from-point-A-to-point-B type of affair. Like I said, it's Warthog meets Scorpion tank and you have thrusters so yeah you are doing INSANE stunts the whole time. You can't ever flip over (although you come close and then the computer rights you up again) but you can do some pretty funny stuff.

Vehicular combat is also very satisfying. There's also a "hood view" for the moon buggy if you pull down the left trigger. Makes it REALLY immersive when you're exploring new worlds or an ancient ruin... driving slowly in hood view, right thumb on the right turret stick, looking independently of where you're driving... so awesome.

And yeah, different planets have different climate effects. I went to one planet where it was having a meteor shower or something. Shit was raining down from the sky... of course, it wasn't like you had to dodge the meteors but it looked and sounded cool as hell.

The characters are really good in this game too. I've already become attached to 2 of my characters, and because I'm playing a female character, I've already had one of my male Biotic engineers hit on me during one conversation. It was... uh, awkward. :lol

But it's the NPCs and the plot in this game that really does it for me and propels you forward. I've never really been a fan of Bioware's console RPGs (yeah, gasp, I know) because I felt they were trying to do these emotional, deep, cinematic dialogues, but it would always fall flat on its face because of the game's shitty graphics which couldn't support the kind of drama Bioware was going for. Plus, it didn't help that KOTOR had basically like 10 character models in the whole universe and you kept running into the same black guy or the same alien guy.

Well, that is NOT the case here... every character in the galaxy has been unique so far, and fucking WOW at the graphics/acting/voiceover for the most part. There has been some good writing and very interesting interaction with both my crew and the rest of the NPCs out there. Really awesome informational tangents and personal anecdotes. At first I was playing with subtitles on because I didn't want to miss any details or whatever, but after a couple hours, I turned them off and I swear to god it was like watching a gorgeous CG movie where you can somewhat control the outcome of events.

This is next gen RPG folks. Gonna go play now before the wife wakes up and makes me go to the farmer's market.

Wow, I hope Seth Green's character does not have too many lines because his voice does not match the character at all. He also can't act without a physical scene and props to carry him.

I'm sure 90% of the actors will be good but that Seth Green video is laughable.

chespace said:
And yeah, different planets have different climate effects. I went to one planet where it was having a meteor shower or something. Shit was raining down from the sky... of course, it wasn't like you had to dodge the meteors but it looked and sounded cool as hell.
DAMN to the damn this game sounds fantastic : D

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
UnholySpectacle said:
Wow, I hope Seth Green's character does not have too many lines because his voice does not match the character at all. He also can't act without a physical scene and props to carry him.

I'm sure 90% of the actors will be good but that Seth Green video is laughable.

Seth Green guy isn't too bad, but you also don't talk to him much either. He plays "Joker", who is your hotshot pilot of your ship/corvette. He actually has an interesting back story which I won't spoil.

Just another note. The music is fantastic. Total ambient '80s synth a la Vangelis, Cabaret Voltaire and early Front 242 (think Geography LP era). I need this soundtrack!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is my most anticipated game this year. I'm going to skip class for like a week.

gray_fox224

chespace said:
I'll post more impressions and answer questions later today. Going to play more now. :D

Dude, this game is too much. It just keeps throwing shit at you to do. I'm about 10 hours into the game and I've barely even touched the main quest.

To answer the question about the moon buggy physics... no it definitely isn't a canned go-from-point-A-to-point-B type of affair. Like I said, it's Warthog meets Scorpion tank and you have thrusters so yeah you are doing INSANE stunts the whole time. You can't ever flip over (although you come close and then the computer rights you up again) but you can do some pretty funny stuff.

Vehicular combat is also very satisfying. There's also a "hood view" for the moon buggy if you pull down the left trigger. Makes it REALLY immersive when you're exploring new worlds or an ancient ruin... driving slowly in hood view, right thumb on the right turret stick, looking independently of where you're driving... so awesome.

The characters are really good in this game too. I've already become attached to 2 of my characters, and because I'm playing a female character, I've already had one of my male Biotic engineers hit on me during one conversation. It was... uh, awkward. :lol

But it's the NPCs and the plot in this game that really does it for me and propels you forward. I've never really been a fan of Bioware's console RPGs (yeah, gasp, I know) because I felt they were trying to do these emotional, deep, cinematic dialogues, but it would always fall flat on its face because of the game's shitty graphics which couldn't support the kind of drama Bioware was going for. Plus, it didn't help that KOTOR had basically like 10 character models in the whole universe and you kept running into the same black guy or the same alien guy.

Well, that is NOT the case here... every character in the galaxy has been unique so far, and fucking WOW at the graphics/acting/voiceover for the most part. There has been some good writing and very interesting interaction with both my crew and the rest of the NPCs out there. Really awesome informational tangents and personal anecdotes. At first I was playing with subtitles on because I didn't want to miss any details or whatever, but after a couple hours, I turned them off and I swear to god it was like watching a gorgeous CG movie where you can somewhat control the outcome of events.

This is next gen RPG folks. Gonna go play now before the wife wakes up and makes me go to the farmer's market.

Ahh, Mr. Chou

You are making the wait for the 20th really hard =(

Thanks for the impressions!

chespace said:
Just another note. The music is fantastic. Total ambient '80s synth a la Vangelis, Cabaret Voltaire and early Front 242 (think Geography LP era). I need this soundtrack!
Me too, now.

Thanks for your contribution to the thread, btw. You're out own Deep Throat, giving clues to everyone to show them the way over the falls into the glorious land of November 20th.

Top Bottom