• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Nolan.

chespace said:
I'll post more impressions and answer questions later today. Going to play more now. :D

Dude, this game is too much. It just keeps throwing shit at you to do. I'm about 10 hours into the game and I've barely even touched the main quest.

To answer the question about the moon buggy physics... no it definitely isn't a canned go-from-point-A-to-point-B type of affair. Like I said, it's Warthog meets Scorpion tank and you have thrusters so yeah you are doing INSANE stunts the whole time. You can't ever flip over (although you come close and then the computer rights you up again) but you can do some pretty funny stuff.

Vehicular combat is also very satisfying. There's also a "hood view" for the moon buggy if you pull down the left trigger. Makes it REALLY immersive when you're exploring new worlds or an ancient ruin... driving slowly in hood view, right thumb on the right turret stick, looking independently of where you're driving... so awesome.

And yeah, different planets have different climate effects. I went to one planet where it was having a meteor shower or something. Shit was raining down from the sky... of course, it wasn't like you had to dodge the meteors but it looked and sounded cool as hell.

The characters are really good in this game too. I've already become attached to 2 of my characters, and because I'm playing a female character, I've already had one of my male Biotic engineers hit on me during one conversation. It was... uh, awkward. :lol

But it's the NPCs and the plot in this game that really does it for me and propels you forward. I've never really been a fan of Bioware's console RPGs (yeah, gasp, I know) because I felt they were trying to do these emotional, deep, cinematic dialogues, but it would always fall flat on its face because of the game's shitty graphics which couldn't support the kind of drama Bioware was going for. Plus, it didn't help that KOTOR had basically like 10 character models in the whole universe and you kept running into the same black guy or the same alien guy.

Well, that is NOT the case here... every character in the galaxy has been unique so far, and fucking WOW at the graphics/acting/voiceover for the most part. There has been some good writing and very interesting interaction with both my crew and the rest of the NPCs out there. Really awesome informational tangents and personal anecdotes. At first I was playing with subtitles on because I didn't want to miss any details or whatever, but after a couple hours, I turned them off and I swear to god it was like watching a gorgeous CG movie where you can somewhat control the outcome of events.

This is next gen RPG folks. Gonna go play now before the wife wakes up and makes me go to the farmer's market.

Ok I decide i'm playing as female!.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Why are my two most wanted games coming out in the same week? WHY IS GOD SUCH A MISCHEVIOUS DIETY?

Xirj

Damn you che, I was doing fine just watching random videos of this game and waiting patiently. Now I'll be reading this thread constantly for updates, and not looking forward to the mass effect on my finals.

FFChris

Kodiak said:
Why are my two most wanted games coming out in the same week? WHY IS GOD SUCH A MISCHEVIOUS DIETY?

This next few weeks is going to be so painful. I can only afford one game!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am going to have to schedule time to play all these games over thanksgiving break. :lol

Tieno

Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect are like two of my fantasies fully realised :(

and this pic just confirms that again
1852723472_0ade3c7ef0.jpg

This is the one game that makes me almost regret my decision to buy a PS3 over 360. Hopefully I can borrow my brothers
for like a year
to play this. God, it just looks amazing. Have there been any impressions from second playthroughs? When I went through Kotor again I was pretty dismayed by the superficiality of the choices, I'm fully expecting ME to deliver in this regard. Optional quests don't really count either since I plan to do as much as possible first time. However optional quests with a meaningful impact on the whole narrative definitely do count and I remember hearing about stuff like this.

Nolan.

Tieno said:
Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect are like two of my fantasies fully realised :(

and this pic just confirms that again
1852723472_0ade3c7ef0.jpg

Yea I think i'll be occupied the most with those two and for the first time i'm glad Lost odyssey isn't out this year, i'm still amazed at some of the things bioware's doing with this game though.

gray_fox224

AdventureRacing said:
I'm just stunned and what bioware has managed to achieve. I hope this sells well cause they deserve it.

I don't think we have to worry about the future sales. NPD numbers for November/December are going to be crazy!

golem

ghostmind said:
Anyone remember Planet's Edge - the old PC game from New World Computing?

4mk0y6v.png

That game was awesome. This game will be awesome. My GOTY.
actually it sounds alot like Sentinel Worlds to me... awesome
sentinel_worlds_i_-_future_magic_01.gif

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
golem said:
actually it sounds alot like Sentinel Worlds to me... awesome
sentinel_worlds_i_-_future_magic_01.gif

YES! Sentinel Worlds is exactly what this game is like.

I loooved that game.

Also, I am learning to love the boomstick in Mass Effect.

dejay

Banned
chespace said:
The music is fantastic. Total ambient '80s synth a la Vangelis, Cabaret Voltaire and early Front 242 (think Geography LP era). I need this soundtrack!

You had me at hello...but that sounds awesome. I've been limiting my exposure to videos to not spoil anything so I haven't heard much music at all.

segarr

Scribble said:
How are the characters? Are they as interesting as KOTOR/KOTOR 2's party members? Do they feel bland? And most importantly, have any made you laugh?

EDIT: Oh, and are there many scenes where the party members interact with each other (not including you).

Need to know...

I remember in Kotor 1, one of the most memorable moments for me was when Bastilla stopped and talked to Mission out of nowhere...it stopped gameplay and everything, but it just made me feel like "Wow...the characters don't all completely revolve around me, they actually know each other too"...

chespace said:
Dude, this game is too much. It just keeps throwing shit at you to do. I'm about 10 hours into the game and I've barely even touched the main quest.
That's what I wanted to hear. I love getting lost in immersive worlds. I'm glad I got SMG 2 weeks before so I can focus on this fucker on the 20th. Good looking out on the impressions!

segarr

chespace said:
YES! Sentinel Worlds is exactly what this game is like.

I loooved that game.

Also, I am learning to love the boomstick in Mass Effect.

Just wondering, is there any melee weapons in the game?

...aside from Shephard gun butting the shit out of that crazy guy?

Nab

I think everyone wants you to go back to Meteor shower world and take some more pictures. ;)

Also, the questions about the characters that others have said. Pleeeease answer them.

chespace said:
I'll post more impressions and answer questions later today. Going to play more now. :D

To answer the question about the moon buggy physics... no it definitely isn't a canned go-from-point-A-to-point-B type of affair. Like I said, it's Warthog meets Scorpion tank and you have thrusters so yeah you are doing INSANE stunts the whole time. You can't ever flip over (although you come close and then the computer rights you up again) but you can do some pretty funny stuff.

Vehicular combat is also very satisfying. There's also a "hood view" for the moon buggy if you pull down the left trigger. Makes it REALLY immersive when you're exploring new worlds or an ancient ruin... driving slowly in hood view, right thumb on the right turret stick, looking independently of where you're driving... so awesome.

And yeah, different planets have different climate effects. I went to one planet where it was having a meteor shower or something. Shit was raining down from the sky... of course, it wasn't like you had to dodge the meteors but it looked and sounded cool as hell.

The characters are really good in this game too. I've already become attached to 2 of my characters, and because I'm playing a female character, I've already had one of my male Biotic engineers hit on me during one conversation. It was... uh, awkward. :lol

But it's the NPCs and the plot in this game that really does it for me and propels you forward. I've never really been a fan of Bioware's console RPGs (yeah, gasp, I know) because I felt they were trying to do these emotional, deep, cinematic dialogues, but it would always fall flat on its face because of the game's shitty graphics which couldn't support the kind of drama Bioware was going for. Plus, it didn't help that KOTOR had basically like 10 character models in the whole universe and you kept running into the same black guy or the same alien guy.

Well, that is NOT the case here... every character in the galaxy has been unique so far, and fucking WOW at the graphics/acting/voiceover for the most part. There has been some good writing and very interesting interaction with both my crew and the rest of the NPCs out there. Really awesome informational tangents and personal anecdotes. At first I was playing with subtitles on because I didn't want to miss any details or whatever, but after a couple hours, I turned them off and I swear to god it was like watching a gorgeous CG movie where you can somewhat control the outcome of events.

This is next gen RPG folks. Gonna go play now before the wife wakes up and makes me go to the farmer's market.
Anyone want to buy me a 360?

Anyone? I'll even take someones ringed 360 (if they got a spare sitting around) and pay out the wazoo to get it fixed...

Sexual favors are optional...

Zzoram

Thunder Monkey said:
Anyone want to buy me a 360?

Anyone? I'll even take someones ringed 360 (if they got a spare sitting around) and pay out the wazoo to get it fixed...

Sexual favors are optional...

I'm sure there will be some good retailer freebies with the 360 Arcade this holiday. Harddrives only matter if you plan on getting DLC/going online.

Zzoram

Scarecrow said:
I'm just hoping that most planets aren't "wide open desert with one good item to find" affairs.

They won't be. KOTOR had a planet like that, but it was the only one like that. There will probably be a jungle world, a water world, some urban metropolis, ancient ruins, and space stations.

This game sounds absolutely incredible. I feel like it should be getting more hype. Maybe its a sleeper, and it will come out of nowhere and sell like hot cakes.

But the stuff that Bioware is doing with this game is insane. Does anyone happen to know how long this game has been in development for?

Thyrus

Any words on possible minigames in Mass Effect? I'd love to use the normandy (that's the ships name ain't it?) in some nice ship to ship action.

Damnit, i've got less than 3 weeks now to think about what kind of character i want to play during my first playthrough. Good, bad or maybe a nice polarity disorder hehe.

R&R

Damn, the game sounds totally amazing! And to think of, at some point I was pretty negative towards the game (I blame BIOSHOCK...and Wii Fit). Makes me look like an idiot now...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
R&R said:
Damn, the game sounds totally amazing! And to think of, at some point I was pretty negative towards the game (I blame BIOSHOCK...and Wii Fit). Makes me look like an idiot now...

wk1unl.gif

segarr said:
Just wondering, is there any melee weapons in the game?

...aside from Shephard gun butting the shit out of that crazy guy?

God i wish i could play this game right now, but according to devs the answer is no melee weapons.

Zzoram

Thyrus said:
Any words on possible minigames in Mass Effect? I'd love to use the normandy (that's the ships name ain't it?) in some nice ship to ship action.

Damnit, i've got less than 3 weeks now to think about what kind of character i want to play during my first playthrough. Good, bad or maybe a nice polarity disorder hehe.

KOTOR had the gambling card game mini-game. I wouldn't be surprised if Mass Effect had a similar mini-game thing going on with it's own quest line.

MCermak

Yeah, my hype for this one has always been high but I think Che just sent the collective hype reactor into critical. I'm blown away by the scale of the planets. I assumed they would be small since they haven't really talked about that much. Anyone else want to go into a coma until the 20th?

How is the difficulty? I loved KOTOR more than just about anything on xbox, but I was disappointed in the lack of difficulty, (maybe I'm just a really good Jedi?) especially so towards the end. I know you're not near the end of the game yet, but so far do you have any impressions on the difficulty?

Also, Che and anyone else who has played the game; how well does the conversation wheel work? A few people brought up the point that the short phrases/words could distort what you actually wanted to say.

Scribble

segarr said:
Need to know...

I remember in Kotor 1, one of the most memorable moments for me was when Bastilla stopped and talked to Mission out of nowhere...it stopped gameplay and everything, but it just made me feel like "Wow...the characters don't all completely revolve around me, they actually know each other too"...

Agreed.
There weren't NEARLY as many of those scenes as there should have been.

Zzoram said:
KOTOR had the gambling card game mini-game. I wouldn't be surprised if Mass Effect had a similar mini-game thing going on with it's own quest line.

Pazaak was awesome, tbqh. It was a little minigame that you could ignore, but it rounded off the world and made it feel more complete.

Uncle

segarr said:
Need to know...

That was one the best things in the BG series as well. I can't remember if it was in Jade Empire though.

segarr

Scribble said:
Agreed.
There weren't NEARLY as many of those scenes as there should have been.

Yup.

Another thing I really hated was how everyone just stays in their one little cubicle on thew ship...they do this in both games. I just hope they do SOMETHING on the ship this time around. The T3 droid moved around a bit in Kotor 2, just that little thing made it seem so much more believable. I'd like for there to be something like...maybe you go to talk to Ashley, but she's eating, or she's changing, or she's talking to someone else, or whatever....

FFChris

segarr said:
Yup.

Another thing I really hated was how everyone just stays in their one little cubicle on thew ship...they do this in both games. I just hope they do SOMETHING on the ship this time around. The T3 droid moved around a bit in Kotor 2, just that little thing made it seem so much more believable. I'd like for there to be something like...maybe you go to talk to Ashley, but she's eating, or she's changing, or she's talking to someone else, or whatever....

That's where I began to understand your point. :D

Uncle said:
That was one the best things in the BG series as well. I can't remember if it was in Jade Empire though.

No, that didn't happen in Jade Empire, because there you only 1 follower active. It was one of really nice features of KOTOR that with almost any combination of 2 followers you had with you some interaction between those two could happen.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Did anyone catch that video on kotaku? This one

I love the character customizing and dialogue system but the only thing that is putting me off is the combat. Frankly speaking, this game looks like a shooter disguising as an RPG, or a shooter with RPG elements? Watching the video from kotaku tells me this is an RPG for shooter fans than say RPG fans.

Zzoram

neojubei said:
Did anyone catch that video on kotaku? This one

I love the character customizing and dialogue system but the only thing that is putting me off is the combat. Frankly speaking, this game looks like a shooter disguising as an RPG, or a shooter with RPG elements? Watching the video from kotaku tells me this is an RPG for shooter fans than say RPG fans.

This game is the best combination of shooter and RPG ever created. It looks like the shooter stuff is pretty good, and the RPG stuff is going to be the typically amazing Bioware stuff. When reviews come out, anyone confused about this game should read them (preferably the really long IGN style reviews that talk about everything).

neojubei

Zzoram said:
This game is the best combination of shooter and RPG ever created. It looks like the shooter stuff is pretty good, and the RPG stuff is going to be the typically amazing Bioware stuff. When reviews come out, anyone confused about this game should read them (preferably the really long IGN style reviews that talk about everything).

Ok, because this game is not having any of my money until someone figures what this game wants to be. Hopefully Shane reviews this game, I'd like to see what a true RPG fan say about this game.

beerbelly

Banned
neojubei said:
Ok, because this game is not having any of my money until someone figures what this game wants to be. Hopefully Shane reviews this game, I'd like to see what a true RPG fan say about this game.

:lol Get out already.

Xirj

neojubei said:

Why can't it be an RPG with a good ranged combat system? Just because a game is an RPG doesn't mean it has to be turnbased, DnD d20, or hack'n'slash with ranged spells. I think this game is trying to do something very different and judging by some people first impressions it works pretty well.

Zzoram

neojubei said:

"True RPG"? Do you mean Japanese RPG?

It's got the basic experience, level up, find new weapons/armor/medkit things (improving gun skills reduces gun recoil and crosshair size I believe). It's got an epic main quest line, tons of side quests, and well developed party members with different personalities and background stories. It'll have optional quests that delve deeper into the history of each party member, so you can learn more about their past.

It allows you choice, in that you can complete most quests several different ways depending on what you want to do. You are also able to do a lot of things in the order that you want, but of course some quests can't be accessed until you've completed the story relevant quest that comes before it.

Combat is GRAW style, cover system and 3rd person shooting. You can pause the game however, and tell each party member what weapon/ability you want them to use, and what to target, as well as where to go. If you prefer slower paced fighting, you can pause often to better plan out your strategy and evaluate the situation. By pausing every few seconds, you can in a sense be playing it with almost turn based combat.

neojubei

beerbelly said:
:lol Get out already.

Thanks for being a jerk,

Xirj said:
Why can't it be an RPG with a good ranged combat system? Just because a game is an RPG doesn't mean it has to be turnbased, DnD d20, or hack'n'slash with ranged spells. I think this game is trying to do something very different and judging by some people first impressions it works pretty well.

Well, I will wait for RPG fans get a hold of this game and give impressions of how well it is balanced. I'm still on the fence for this game.

Zzoram said:
"True RPG"? Do you mean Japanese RPG?

It's got the basic experience, level up, find new weapons/armor/medkit things (improving gun skills reduces gun recoil and crosshair size I believe). It's got an epic main quest line, tons of side quests, and well developed party members with different personalities and background stories.

It allows you choice, in that you can complete most quests several different ways depending on what you want to do. You are also able to do a lot of things in the order that you want, but of course some quests can't be accessed until you've completed the story relevant quest that comes before it.

Combat is GRAW style, cover system and 3rd person shooting. You can pause the game however, and tell each party member what weapon/ability you want them to use, and what to target. If you prefer slower paced fighting, you can pause often to better plan out your strategy and evaluate the situation. By pausing every few seconds, you can in a sense be playing it with almost turn based combat.

That just killed it for me. I do not want to babysit my teammates, now I feel bummed out. This game does look and seem epic and something my sci-fi side would want to play, but if this is GRAW/Rainbow vegas stuff, then I have to leave it.

Top Bottom