• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Illuminati said:
How does heal even work, it always seems like I am healing myself.

When the "a" to talk indicator appears for your party member - then press "y". That works for me.

PS: This game is just sex on toast. Forget the beans.

Played it today. Seems to be a great game, great character design and the amount of detail on them is just insane! But the framerate is REALLY annoying.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Insane Metal said:
Played it today. Seems to be a great game, great character design and the amount of detail on them is just insane! But the framerate is REALLY annoying.

Just wondering if you have cleared your cache? I had some major slowdown, then cleaned out my cache and its only occasional now.

Ryudo said:
Just wondering if you have cleared your cache? I had some major slowdown, then cleaned out my cache and its only occasional now.
Hmm. I didn´t know about that. The 360 I played was not mine :D

But there was slowndown EVERYWHERE, really. It happened in PGR4 too, and I never heard about slows in PGR4... maybe the cache is really the problem?

jet1911

Insane Metal said:
Hmm. I didn´t know about that. The 360 I played was not mine :D

But there was slowndown EVERYWHERE, really. It happened in PGR4 too, and I never heard about slows in PGR4... maybe the cache is really the problem?

Probably because there's no slowdown in PGR4. That or you friend's 360 is dying.

hafdogg

This game is amazing. I can not believe what Bioware accomplished. I always thought they were biting off more than they could chew, but damn. Also, love the soundtrack :D

jet1911 said:
Probably because there's no slowdown in PGR4. That or you friend's 360 is dying.
Hmmm. I doubt it´s dying. He made some mods on it and it runs cold as ice :D

Well, not THAT cold, but you got the idea :lol

So it could really be the cache thing...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Insane Metal said:
Hmmm. I doubt it´s dying. He made some mods on it and it runs cold as ice :D

Well, not THAT cold, but you got the idea :lol

So it could really be the cache thing...

GTFO, there's no slowdown in PGR4.

Post pics of your friend's Xbox 360 mods.

chespace said:
GTFO, there's no slowdown in PGR4.

Post pics of your friend's Xbox 360 mods.
Calm down dude, I´m saying that the slows in PGR4 are cache´s fault :lol

I´m gonna ask him the pics. I recall he said he put a cooler exactly upon the GPU.

chespace

Insane Metal said:
Calm down dude, I´m saying that the slows in PGR4 are cache´s fault :lol

I´m gonna ask him the pics. I recall he said he put a cooler exactly upon the GPU.

What's your friend's gamertag? PM it to me. I want to see how far he's gotten in Mass Effect. :lol

Also, post pics of the huge refrigerator on the GPU.

knitoe

Love this game. The atmosphere is amazing. It almost feels like a real universe. Got AC and Uncharted on the same day, but haven't even unwrapped them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Pressing Y heals the whole team.

But I don't understand the shield system. How do you get more shields? Leveling or equipment? And do they come back on their own?

chespace said:
What's your friend's gamertag? PM it to me. I want to see how far he's gotten in Mass Effect. :lol

Also, post pics of the huge refrigerator on the GPU.

He doesn´t play online, he doesn´t have a gamertag. Yeah, he doesn´t have broadband.

But I´ll get the pics tomorrow (I´m at work now :lol )

Dalauz

Y2Kev said:

But I don't understand the shield system. How do you get more shields? Leveling or equipment? And do they come back on their own?
You have armor mods that add shield % and other that add shield regeneration rate. Then some skills that modify all that.

the lack of modified stats display was my big problem with the interface btw. Its become a bit harder with 2 slots armors and 3 slots guns

ACE

Y2Kev said:

In general it's equipment that increases your shields but the barrier ability also reduces the amount of damage to your shields when you are hit.

Fina1e

...wow wtf

How the hell am I suppose to beat
Benezia the first time on Noveria

My party is around 15 and I'm getting destroyed.

Sectus

Burger said:
The occasional frame rate stutter is annoying, but far from a game breaker.

If this was a proper FPS, then yes. We have a problem. But it's a RPG, and it's fantastic.
But the combat plays exactly like an FPS.

I agree it doesn't break the game, but it's very annoying. And there's been too many firefights where the framerate has become so bad I've become unable to aim at all.

Fina1e said:
...wow wtf

I struggled a lot with that fight as well. Had to retry it something like 15 times before I actually completed it.
I found that moving to the right and staying in that corner of the room helped a lot. Don't worry about the Geth snipers who spawns there, you should kill them just about instantly as they spawn. And when you get to the part of the battle where you fight the boss herself, just hit her with everything you've got to make sure she dies right away, then run to a corner to rest for a few seconds.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I cleared the cache before I started playing, and after an hour or so (
Completed Eden Prime
, I've noticed no screen tearing and VERY minimal slowdown. I'm loving it so far, that grainy film effect looks cool as balls.

Sherveen

I think all the "wow"s in this thread aptly describe my initial two-hour introduction reaction to Mass Effect. I have been waiting for this game ever since KOTOR 2. I've not even explored a fourth of the Citadel yet and have just had my first meeting with the council, and still, I am in love with this game.

The graphics are amazing. My jaw has been dropped from start to finish. Note: I play with the filter off, because wow does it look so much more amazing when everything is clean. The dialogue and characters I've encountered thus far have all grabbed my interest. The combat is solid, though I haven't experienced enough of it to determine or truly judge it yet. The character and level development looks simple yet effective, though again, can't judge it yet. The storyline is already intriguing, no doubt.

Everything is moving along fantastically right now. Looking forward to getting in a good 6+ hour session in tomorrow...

Fina1e said:
...wow wtf

That fight is literally a cake walk if you've been collecting 'physic stabilizers'. Throw two in your armor, and any extra's in your crew's armor, and hopefully you have decent biotic/tech defence on the armor to begin with.

Sean

Banned
Played for about an hour and a half so far. Going to take my time and go through things slowly. One of the first things I did was turn off the grain filter and motion blur, also switched the color setting to the third (last) option. Looks much better than the defaults IMO.

I'm not an RPG player so it's a little bit overwhelming at first with all the menus and options and stuff.

The dialog system is great. So far I am being a complete dick to everyone but Ashley.

Dalauz

Fina1e said:
...wow wtf

Keep moving around and use the explosives barrels (or whatever they are called) to kill the Asari commands (there is some trick shot right in the very beginning of the encounter -- right behind benezia)

ckohler

Just played for about five hours. I'm taking my time and exploring all of the available dialog. I chose an Adept and I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. My powers don't seem to do all that much damage and I die easily. I hope I get stronger.

jet1911

ckohler said:
Just played for about five hours. I'm taking my time and exploring all of the available dialog. I chose an Adept and I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. My powers don't seem to do all that much damage and I die easily. I hope I get stronger.

You will. I had a hard time early on but now that I upgraded my pistol and that I have more powers (throw+lift = awesome) it's easier. Just be sure to bring at least a character good in combat as one of your teammate.

Spire said:
Does Infiltrator get better? I die like it was going out of style.

Played through as infiltrator. Keep mastering your armor and pistol skills and you will literally be unstoppable by the end. Marksmanship = best skill ever.

JayDubya

Banned
It seems that if you're a Soldier you can probably get by for a while without investing heavily in armor (as you've already got access to better armor than half the other classes can ever get and equivalent to the other 2 with no additional investment, but you should invest in at least one weapon right off. Meanwhile, if you're NOT a Soldier, you should invest in Pistol and Armor pronto, for the sake of the early game.

Nutter

Need some help with a puzzle guys.

on the snow planet about to fight benezia what ever her name is, need to restore memory core. help please.

N/M that was easy.:lol

Nutter said:
Need some help with a puzzle guys.

on the snow planet about to fight benezia what ever her name is, need to restore memory core. help please.

Its a puzzle where you move the pieces, you can stack the smaller pieces on the bigger pieces but not the other way around, you are free to move the pieces between the three stacks. It works exactly like that its just that the controls are weird, you just have to move the whole stack to either "memory core" stack 2 or 3.

JayDubya said:
It seems that if you're a Soldier you can probably get by for a while without investing heavily in armor (as you've already got access to better armor than half the other classes can ever get and equivalent to the other 2 with no additional investment, but you should invest in at least one weapon right off. Meanwhile, if you're NOT a Soldier, you should invest in Pistol and Armor pronto, for the sake of the early game.

Even as a soldier i was having a hard time in the beginning. But as the game goes on you definitely get much better in a fight, i think i managed to get through
Benezia
with using only one med-gel, but then again the armor regen ability is really nice, and unity, and adrenaline rush.

bendak

I'm 11 hours in and loving the hell of it. I find it funny that people have supposedly beaten the game in 11 hours since I STILL haven't visited the first set of plot planets (
Noveria and Feros
) though I did
rescue Liara
and visit some other unchartered worlds.

Mass Effect owns me. And I think I got a cat fight brewing between Liara and Ashley over me. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just played about two hours and all I can say is "wow!"
I just completed the first mission and I am really impressed. Luckily I haven't been experiencing any of the technical problems some people seem to be having (horrible frame stutters and slow-loading textures). The framerate seems to be running between 20-30fps and I haven't noticed any choppiness yet. The infamous UE3 texture popping doesn't seem any worse than Gears either.

The music and atmosphere in this game is amazing. I hadn't really read much on the game before buying it today, but I find the story really intriguing. The Codex that fills you in on all of the lore (in full voice to boot!) is a nice touch as well. I am playing a Vanguard and it seems like a really cool class (shotguns and magic!). I also keep the grainy filter thing off. The game looks a lot nicer without it in my opinion.

So far I am having a blast and I just expect it to keep getting better and better.

chespace

Insane Metal said:
He doesn´t play online, he doesn´t have a gamertag. Yeah, he doesn´t have broadband.

Oh, right. He doesn't have broadband. Okay then. :lol

bendak

chespace said:
Oh, right. He doesn't have broadband. Okay then. :lol

modem-500.jpg

quaere

I went straight from the Citadel to get Liara and my entire party is dying within seconds of starting the fight shown in the one trailer. I'm level 10. Too low level? (if so which planet am I supposed to do first?) Do I not know how to play this game?

Sooo remember when I said that I just couldn't get the right Jack Shepard together? Well, look who I ended up finding instead...

LockeEffectII.jpg

It adds a nice spritual bent to the proceedings. And when Ashley's all "Yo, help me out and shoot this dude," John is all "IT'S NEVER BEEN EASY!"

:D

Top Bottom