• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

xbhaskarx

bob_arctor said:
Awesome. I smell "Ruthless" in my very near future. I've already started kinda, walking out of Gamestop with a decidedly un-free Mass Effect strategy guide. Does that gimme Renegade points?? ;-)

+10 idiot points.

DrBo42

You guys won't believe this but some asshole came into the store today and stole a Mass Effect strategy guide right in front of me. I swear if I find this guy I'm tracking down his IP and calling the....wait.... THERE HE IS!

GhaleonEB said:
Be that as it may. I got the game yesterday, but haven't had a chance to play it, but here's my concern: technical defects can have a big impact on everything the game is trying to do. The texture loading was a bit distracting in Gears of War, but not that frequent. It was a problem in Bioshock, because it really ruined the sense of immersion pretty often. That game really depended on its atmosphere for immersion, and nothing ruins the atmosphere like untextured characters. In Halo 2, it nearly ruined the cinematics. All the effort that went into creating a compelling story through music, acting, modeling, directing, lighting - it all fell apart when I'm watching the environment and characters load in layers. It's hard to see past it, at least on the first time through.

Some rough edges are okay, but when it starts to impact the immersion and story telling, there's a problem. I don't know if Mass Effect is that bad, but I am worried from what I've read. I hope to be surprised this week when I dive in.

Could there be some variance from one Xbox to another regarding these texture loading issues?

I scarcely had any issues with it in Bioshock and Gears of War (it happened from time to time, but not nearly enough to detract from the visual splendor of each game) and it never even approached the texture-loading train wreck that was Halo 2.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DrBo42 said:
You guys won't believe this but some asshole came into the store today and stole a Mass Effect strategy guide right in front of me. I swear if I find this guy I'm tracking down his IP and calling the....wait.... THERE HE IS!

:lol Nah, nobody saw me slinking away casually, sorry. But enough about my poor and tasteless decision. More Mass Effect talk please.

watership

Coop said:
I'm 2 hours in and I only have one question. How are some people beating this game in 12 hours? O_O

I'm a little lost about that too. Unless I'm farther along that I realize. Right now,
I just left the Citadel and I'm walking around the Normandy talking to people. I'm about to head to the first planet. How far am I, percentage wise?

Naeblish

DrBo42 said:
I don't know why, but i lol'ed hard :lol .

Dalauz

Jirotrom said:
the Female Shepard's voice is way way better than the male shepard. I'll be sticking with the female now.
Jennifer Hale! (Naomi Hunter/Samus/Emma Emmerich/"Avatar: The Last Airbender" Additional Voices...wait)

DrBo42

bob_arctor said:
:lol Nah, nobody saw me slinking away casually, sorry. But enough about my poor and tasteless decision. More Mass Effect talk please.
What does a security device see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does it see into me, into us? Clearly or darkly? I hope it sees clearly, because I can't any longer see into myself. I see only murk. I hope for everyone's sake the security devices do better. Because if the security device sees only darkly, the way I do, then I'm cursed and cursed again. I'll only wind up dead this way, knowing very little about right from wrong, and getting that little fragment wrong too.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DrBo42 said:
What does a security device see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does it see into me, into us? Clearly or darkly? I hope it sees clearly, because I can't any longer see into myself. I see only murk. I hope for everyone's sake the security devices do better. Because if the security device sees only darkly, the way I do, then I'm cursed and cursed again. I'll only wind up dead this way, knowing very little about right from wrong, and getting that little fragment wrong too.

Respect +100000000000000000. :D

jet1911

I'm trying to take out these crazy biotic cultists and they're kicking my ass. :(

Maybe I should try the "diplomatic" approach.

xbhaskarx

DrBo42 said:

:lol

Fusebox

Banned
I put a stack of points into persuade but I couldn't get the extra conversation options to convince that dude to
testify for the internal affairs chick
. Really wish I could have helped her out.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
chespace said:
Tap the RB button instead of holding it down.

ugh, bioware. I kept hitting X since X is MAP. And it didn't do shit. SILLY BIOWARE UI DESIGNERS.

thanks che.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I just picked it up, but I'm going to wait till tonight to play it. My friend is coming over, we'll take a few bong rips, and enter the world of Mass Effect.

Until then, I'll enjoy at that "new game smell" you get when you open your game case.

:sniff: Ahhh...

Doodis

I have no idea why they wasted two buttons on "pulling out your weapon" and "putting it away." Seems like they could certainly have taken care of both these actions with one button.

itxaka

Defeatist
watership said:
I'm a little lost about that too. Unless I'm farther along that I realize. Right now,
I just left the Citadel and I'm walking around the Normandy talking to people. I'm about to head to the first planet. How far am I, percentage wise?

how many hours are you in? it´s between 25 and 35 with all the side missions and about 12 and 15 for the main line (or 10 if you skip all the dialogue)

zenbot

Doodis said:
I have no idea why they wasted two buttons on "pulling out your weapon" and "putting it away." Seems like they could certainly have taken care of both these actions with one button.
Seriously, and especially when, if you've got your weapon holstered, pressing just about any of the buttons on the controller will result in Shepherd pulling a weapon out!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
ghostmind said:
Amazon still hasn't shipped my order yet - the bastards...

Same,but it has entered the shipping soon phase for me.

nm- shipped :)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Jealousy is starting to kick in big time now, with two US friends playing the game for the first time today on my friend's list, and now I'm reading your impressions... sigh...

And neojubei is straight-up hilarious... it's like he's trying to bring negativity to kill the hype despite every major reviewer and regular gamer mentioning the minor framerate and texture pop-on problems in every impression... the best part was when he said that he wanted the regular version so that he could cut up the boxart slip and fit it into a PS3 case - WTF? :lol

Anyways, with luck, I should have the LE game and guide tomorrow...

Synless

Skilotonn said:
Jealousy is starting to kick in big time now, with two US friends playing the game for the first time today on my friend's list, and now I'm reading your impressions... sigh...

And neojubei is straight-up hilarious... it's like he's trying to bring negativity to kill the hype despite every major reviewer and regular gamer mentioning the minor framerate and texture pop-on problems in every impression... the best part was when he said that he wanted the regular version so that he could cut up the boxart slip and fit it into a PS3 case - WTF? :lol
It's really not all that minor......I'm not hating it's just the honest to god truth. I don't know about his crazy ps3 case talk but the framerate does dip often and sometimes hard and the texture pop up is hardcore.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Skilotonn said:

Excuse me? I am buying the game. yea i like the PS3 cases better. Your hate isn't going to stop me from buying this game. I think I'll trade in AC for this.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Dalauz said:
thats weird, maybe short on omnigel?

I dunno, I'm at work now and can't check. There was one guy left who I think ran in there (as he seemed to be right beside the door on my radar) but the button on the door turned red and no amount of clicking would open it. I'll just reload it when I get home and hope it works.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Synless said:
Im having trouble deciding whether I like the filter on or off......I'm not sure which I like more.

What filter? God, I wish I just bought the game today, I just didn't feel like going to EB today.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Synless said:
It's really not all that minor......I'm not hating it's just the honest to god truth. I don't know about his crazy ps3 case talk but the framerate does dip often and sometimes hard and the texture pop up is hardcore.

No worries man - I never accused you of hating, and I'm more than glad to hear impressions, both good and bad...

And I guess different people see it as either minor or major - since it has been touched on by everyone who's played without seeing it for myself, I've pretty much prepared myself for it, and have settled on trying to blot it out - the world, art and music is just too incredible to let that put a damper on the experience...

And I glad I knew about the hiccups from so early, so it isn't a huge shock when I finally jump into the game - so please feel free to post more impressions!

ZeroEdge

Burger said:
Played for several hours now.

Good:
+ Graphics are incredible. Seriously, animation is top notch, I got goosebumps during the first big flight sequence (you will know it when you see it)
+ Music is awesome. Che described it as Vangelis like, which is a great description.
+ Dialogue system is amazing. Somehow I immediately know what my response will be and it makes the conversation flow like buttah. You can see the marionette strings behind it occasionally, but it's of no consequence.
+ Game is DEEP. I've played for like 7-8 hours and only done the first planet, which is part of the overall story.
+ Characters are great. I've had a few little winks from Ashley, I've been putting on the charm.
+ Art/Design is way above average. Seriously.

Bad:
- Weapons/Inventory management is almost all text based. Would have been much better if each weapon had a little icon next to it.
- Very minor framerate and texture pop in issues. Still, totally do not care because your forced suspension of disbelief always makes up for it.
- Not enough time in the day to play it.

Thanks Bioware!

Totally agree with you, picked up the game this afternoon and just finally stopped playing now to take a break and get some food...fucking game is amazing.

Top Bottom