• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Gattsu25

Banned
Sol.. said:
Robot Jesus approves of this post.

Well this part, not the part about the Mass Effect soundtrack being good. The music is so cheap, I shouted "thank ya jesus" everytime the game glitched out and cut the music off.

The ending credits song was cool tho. I kinda wanna buy it.
You can mute the music

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

I was just joking. I just think it's criminal that the Council doesn't just throw the best shit in your locker from Jump Street.

Eh its not like they ever tried to help you. The whole time they are doubtful of your actions, always question what you do. It is criminal and i think them making you a specter was just throwing a bone to humanity.

Also, am i the only one that thinks the human Ambassador is somewhat insane?

Woo-Fu

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
It's shameful that the Council thinks so little of a human that he or she has to go through such back alley shenanigans to get the best equipment. Annoying Human Diplomat was right.

Eh, if you want the best weapons in the game the only thing you have to do is amass 1,000,000 credits. As far as the best armor goes you're more likely to get it as a drop than you are to luck out and find it in a shop.

MMaRsu

Mass Effect & Oblivion OST are both great. And I barely ever like game music.

Some people are just weird I guess ;)

Tieno said:
Can anyone direct me to a detailed plot summary of the Mass Effect Revelation book?

You are not missing out on much, Anderson tells you the outcome in the game anyways.

And any background details are covered in the codex.

Woo-Fu

Banned
andrewfee said:
I'm used to loot progressing in RPGs, but not seeing significant changes like that. If that's how it is every time, I guess the game sees you continuously going from underpowered to overpowered every 5-10 levels? It feels like I've somehow missed a step or two in the items I should have been finding.

It doesn't work like that. You don't start finding the better brands just because you went up in level. As far as I can tell it is random, other than the level of the items themselves going up as you go up in level.

The license system is kind of pointless, as are most of the different versions of the weapons. The licenses don't work because he never has a significant amount of stock. The different versions don't work because there aren't enough weapon attributes to make the decision any harder than picking whatever does max DPS over whatever period of time you care to pick.

...and one bit of advice about buying and selling upgrades: some upgrades get higher level versions later on, some upgrades DO NOT. For instance, there are no level 9 or level 10 shredder or tungsten ammunition upgrades. Do not sell your lvl7/8 versions of these items.

Odrion

Banned
Linkzg said:
plus being bad in this type of game never really makes you feel bad, it just makes you seem like a prick.
Yeah. I wish that it was more along the lines of just being a badass or a hardass. But usually you just turn into a little pricky dicky bitch, which isn't that much fun either. Just make me Kratos and give me a permanent "I WILL DESTROY YOU!" choice in every given scenario.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Odrion said:
Yeah. I wish that it was more along the lines of just being a badass or a hardass. But usually you just turn into a little pricky dicky bitch, which isn't that much fun either. Just make me Kratos and give me a permanent "I WILL DESTROY YOU!" choice in every given scenario.

They do that in this game. Quite often you're given the choice of just blowing somebody away execution style with a pistol round to the head. If you go renegade you are pretty much a psychopath with a mission.

Woo-Fu said:
They do that in this game. Quite often you're given the choice of just blowing somebody away execution style with a pistol round to the head. If you go renegade you are pretty much a psychopath with a mission.

A lot more stable then anyone going dark side in KOTOR.

Odrion said:

yeah, the game was missing the option to say "I normally don't do interviews with women unless I fornicate with them", that is a must for ME2.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Yeah there's a few "wow that's really fucking evil" moments, but theres a hell of a lot of "just being a dick" moments too like
the guy who asks for a stimulant and you give him a depressant

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Woo-Fu said:
It doesn't work like that. You don't start finding the better brands just because you went up in level. As far as I can tell it is random, other than the level of the items themselves going up as you go up in level.

The license system is kind of pointless, as are most of the different versions of the weapons. The licenses don't work because he never has a significant amount of stock. The different versions don't work because there aren't enough weapon attributes to make the decision any harder than picking whatever does max DPS over whatever period of time you care to pick.

...and one bit of advice about buying and selling upgrades: some upgrades get higher level versions later on, some upgrades DO NOT. For instance, there are no level 9 or level 10 shredder or tungsten ammunition upgrades. Do not sell your lvl7/8 versions of these items.

Well I think you will be able to buy them back anyway, as every shop has a buy-back option for every item you sell.

Well unless you make them into gel, hehe

Ghost said:
Yeah there's a few "wow that's really fucking evil" moments, but theres a hell of a lot of "just being a dick" moments too like
the guy who asks for a stimulant and you give him a depressant

The line after that makes it all worth while.

The alliance doesn't need junkies and drug addicts representing it. Go get cleaned up.

edit: You see instead of being a goody goody and showing him the error of his ways, you make him do what you want, you dont give him a chance to screw things up. The outcome is exactly the one a specter should have achieved its just that you went about it differently.

MMaRsu said:
Didn't see it when I checked earlier. I had to get it through different channels right now. But I want to buy it when I can find it :). It's really really awesome !!
Yeah, i actually like it too. Has a boards-of-canada-ish quality to it.

Quick question/comment/observation on the buy-back option in shops. I'm on a second playthrough. I started replaying with my recycled infiltrator, then dumped his ass for a steamy, brand new renegade lesbian (funny how it seems a popular option round here).
Recycled infiltrator had access to whatever i had sold in my first playthrough in the buy-back screen. But so does steamy hot lesbian.
Made sense for recycled dude, as he's all high level and shit, but hot lesbian somehow gets access to near-end-game level equipment right off the bat. It is kinda pricey for her, but still.
1) bug or feature?
2) anyone else run into this, or did my saves get fudged up some way or other?

Fistwell said:
Yeah, i actually like it too. Has a boards-of-canada-ish quality to it.

Quick question/comment/observation on the buy-back option in shops. I'm on a second playthrough. I started replaying with my recycled infiltrator, then dumped his ass for a steamy, brand new renegade lesbian (funny how it seems a popular option round here).
Recycled infiltrator had access to whatever i had sold in my first playthrough in the buy-back screen. But so does steamy hot lesbian.
Made sense for recycled dude, as he's all high level and shit, but hot lesbian somehow gets access to near-end-game level equipment right off the bat. It is kinda pricey for her, but still.
1) bug or feature?
2) anyone else run into this, or did my saves get fudged up some way or other?

Sounds like a bug, but a useful one since you buyback at the lower value which you sold it as.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I'm officially giving up on ME. I wasn't enjoying the game much prior to the first ride in the Meko on Feros, and that was the last straw. Aside from the plot and soundtrack, everything feels unfinished to me. I'd love to see what they could do with another year to optimize it from a technical standpoint, implement the promised combat system, flesh out the locations and sidequests, and do something interesting with the dialog. It doesn't seem like they've made substantive progress with paragon/renegade light/dark idea since KOTOR, either. Maybe that changes later, but I doubt it.

Oh, well.

LukeSmith

Someone help me understand the unlock system as it pertains to creating a new character.
I understand that I've unlocked Singularity achievement, how does this play into my experience if my next character is a soldier?

dark10x said:
I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't had any trouble with Mako sections (despite the ultra low framerate on some planets). In fact, I'd say all of them have been extremely easy. I actually enjoy using the Mako, to be honest.
Yeah, haven't had much difficulty getting thru the mako sections either, but it's been rather unenjoyable.

Twitchy direction, steering aligned with the turret rather than the vehicle, general bounciness and floatiness gave me headaches. Having to climb a rocky hillside to go catch some deposit usually makes me puke in my mouth a little bit. The fighting is pretty bland... either driving around something in circles and shooting rockets, or sitting tight and jumping over incoming shots (some of those guys have the slowest rockets... marvel how they can stay in flight at such low speed). I really wish they'd have approached the exploration differently.

LukeSmith said:
Someone help me understand the unlock system as it pertains to creating a new character.
I understand that I've unlocked Singularity achievement, how does this play into my experience if my next character is a soldier?
From what i gather, the next character u create will have access to the singularity skill, even if his/her class usually does not provide it.
I can't really tell firsthand, my new character is a soldier, doesnt make any difference that my infiltrator had whored pistol and sniper rifle.

Aurora

Rorschach said:
I agree with all of this except I don't think the combat is that great... I wish they'd let you map 2 more talents since there are 2 unused buttons during combat, anyway. It could be my fault because of the class I chose (infiltrator). Yet, I still do every stupid copy/paste quest. :\
I think it is largely due to your class. As a soldier myself I haven't even mapped a single skill to RB. I rarely access the ability wheel and when I do it's usually to order my allies to do something rather than myself.

The main reason I like the combat system is because of how easy and quick it is to switch between weapons for any given situation. Never in an RPG have I been able to switch from ranged to close-quarter weapons in a few buttons. I'm used to the typical roles like "you're a fighter so you stay close, while that archer hangs back" but with ME I'm an omnipotent killing machine adapting to whatever the game throws at me. I'll take cover, activate Assassination, peek over and snipe out an enemy. The surrounding enemies realise there's an intruder and all come rushing towards me. My allies will Push them against a wall while I switch over to my Shotgun and blast them into oblivion all in a matter of seconds. Very satisfying.

DjangoReinhardt said:
I'm officially giving up on ME. I wasn't enjoying the game much prior to the first ride in the Meko on Feros, and that was the last straw. Aside from the plot and soundtrack, everything feels unfinished to me. I'd love to see what they could do with another year to optimize it from a technical standpoint, implement the promised combat system, flesh out the locations and sidequests, and do something interesting with the dialog. It doesn't seem like they've made substantive progress with paragon/renegade light/dark idea since KOTOR, either. Maybe that changes later, but I doubt it.

Oh, well.
Funny thing is -- I felt that many portions of the game were left unfinished, too. That didn't stop it from being a decent game, though.

watership

DjangoReinhardt said:

Oh, well.

Playing the game I can understand why some people wouldn't like it. When there were frame hiccups, a list of friends popped up in my mind and I thought. "They wouldn't be able to get past this." The game has technical issues galore, and if thats a deal breaker for anyone.. it's going to mare their experience.

For me, this is my game of the year.

yukoner said:
They are generally fairly good at casting it on themselves if you have skills set to "Defence Only"

I saw this option during the beginning and set my guys to the default setting. Is there a way to switch it later in the game? I want to switch it to defense as well.

yukoner

Masta_Killah said:
I saw this option during the beginning and set my guys to the default setting. Is there a way to switch it later in the game? I want to switch it to defense as well.

Yup, just go into options > gameplay

It's the only way to play IMO, otherwise it's not really possible to setup the devestating combo's. When you're controlling every member, you can all attack simultaneously and really whip some ass, like: Lift + Carnage + OVerload all the same time on the same enemies.

mik

mik is unbeatable
No complaints with the combat here. That's one aspect where they really advanced the formula from KotOR.

The technical issues bothered me, to be sure, but I was more disturbed by some of the creative issues and decisions with the game.

I really liked the story, but I thought the characters were rather flat (other than perhaps Shepard)--particularly in comparison to KotOR. They're decent, but there isn't one that approaches the level of Bastila or HK-47 to me.

And speaking of HK-47, I thought Mass Effect could have really benefited from a dose of humor. I felt like the game took itself way too seriously and it kind of sucked some of the joy out of it for me.

I loved the last hour of the game--it was full of great moments. But that final battle was a bit of a disappointing video game cliché.

It's a good game and, if nothing else, it establishes a nice foundation for the sequels. I hope they don't take forever to get here like the first game did.

besada

Banned
Am I the only one who's grown to love driving the Mako? Once you realize it has considerably less mass than it should, it's easy to drive. I read someone say that it felt like it weighed two pounds, which is about right. The mention that the Mako has it's own Mass Effect field and the mechanics support that. Let's you do neat things like shoot off the top of the mountain and glide to the ground with occasional jet bursts.

I landed in the middle of a pack of Geth the other day, which was a big surprise to us both.

hey, just picked up this game and it's awesome. So I'm on the planet Metgos and there was the distress call from the medical team. this is also where you find a Thorium mineral deposit and a Turian emblem. Also on the planet is this wreckage bit, and when I try to "A" it, it says my Electronics skill is too low. I had my two party members that were part or full Engineer, and I had spent several points in Electronics. When I try to do something that requires Electronics, does my main character need to have it? If not, how do I go about doing this. Thanks a lot

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No, only one of the characters with you needs to have the required Electronics skill.
Other skills are stackable though, like First Aid.

GalaxyBird said:
hey, just picked up this game and it's awesome. So I'm on the planet Metgos and there was the distress call from the medical team. this is also where you find a Thorium mineral deposit and a Turian emblem. Also on the planet is this wreckage bit, and when I try to "A" it, it says my Electronics skill is too low. I had my two party members that were part or full Engineer, and I had spent several points in Electronics. When I try to do something that requires Electronics, does my main character need to have it? If not, how do I go about doing this. Thanks a lot

As long as someone on the team has a high enough skill it sort of transfers to your character when you go to open something.

Odrion

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
I mean every scenario.
Linkzg said:
yeah, the game was missing the option to say "I normally don't do interviews with women unless I fornicate with them", that is a must for ME2.
Like right here, they needed the option to shoot the woman in the head execution style.

But seriously, "The alliance doesn't need junkies and drug addicts representing it. Go get cleaned up"?, most of the mean dialog in the game is this prudish crap. All they need is a anytime choice of "shoot someone in the head" and the ability to give the middle finger in any dialog option. I don't need to justify my actions motherfucker. Pow, now you're dead too Mr. Whiny Human Ambassador.

Actually, I thought they were going to have the choice in any dialog to not say anything. I wanted that! I wanted to be a quiet Captain with cold emotions and a dark history. But I guess being Mr. "My whole family and crew were slaughtered but I'm one happy go lucky guy!" with a scarred up face is good enough. :p

firehawk12 said:
No, only one of the characters with you needs to have the required Electronics skill.
Other skills are stackable though, like First Aid.

Confidence Man said:
As long as someone on the team has a high enough skill it sort of transfers to your character when you go to open something.

thanks a lot

Aurora

Big-E said:
Can you get the hardcore playthrough achievement with an already created character?
Well, once you finish your first playthrough you can reuse that character to get the Hardcore achievement. Hardcore must be selected at the start of the new game+ and mustn't be changed ever.

segarr

mik said:
And speaking of HK-47, I thought Mass Effect could have really benefited from a dose of humor. I felt like the game took itself way too seriously and it kind of sucked some of the joy out of it for me.

The "volus" are probably the funniest species they have created yet. Everything about them is humourous!

It's a good game and, if nothing else, it establishes a nice foundation for the sequels.

We'll see what happens....I'm not too confident at this moment.

segarr

Confidence Man said:

Yup...this is why I find Garris and Tali MUST HAVES on the side quest planets most of the time. Nothing worse then finding some "downed probe" only to get the "Electronics skill too low" pop-up.

Eric WK said:
Seriously.

Thinking about it now, though, the future is full of ugly species. I'd bang an Asari and maybe a Quarian depending on what's under their mysterious veils, but there's no way I'm getting down with a Krogan or Turian (or Salarian or Elcor or any other ME race that we know about).
I'd bang ALL the keepers

Then get executed for treason?

Aurora

segarr said:
Yup...this is why I find Garris and Tali MUST HAVES on the side quest planets most of the time. Nothing worse then finding some "downed probe" only to get the "Electronics skill too low" pop-up.
This has happened to every single probe I've visited. I'm talking 20+ which is really frustrating. What's worse is that I finally started bothering investing in Electronics and my skill still isn't high enough, meaning I need it at Master level. Screw that!

Gattsu25 said:
female nipples on display

shooting unarmed people in the head

lesbians

somewhat detailed zombies of various persuasions
what? Does the sex scene really show nippes? I thought it just showed 'uttcrack...

Kittonwy

Banned
There's a lot of talking in this game, even for a Bioware game. I've finished KOTOR and KOTOR2 (I know it's made by Obsidian) but damn, I have to track down some dude just to talk to him, and then he'll tell me to talk to some other guy, and then I have to go back to guy #1 to tell him what guy #2 said, and depending on whether I pick "let me try that again" or not, I might have to go BACK to guy #2 to set guy#2 straight, sometimes I wonder if it would be better for them to just settle the problem themselves or just fucking kill each other. What's worse is when the two characters are fucking standing RIGHT BESIDE EACH OTHER.

I'm supposed to be a FUCKING SPECTRE AGENT, MR. FUCKING BADASS, and here I am running like a god damn errand boy. For all the "OMFGZ I CAN'T BELIEVE I R TAWKIN TO TEH COMMANDER SHEPPARD MR. BADASS WHO SAVED EDEN PRIME RAWR", there's an errand boy quest. Let me settle things via either stealth or guns blazing instead of having all this talking ALL THE TIME, I understand Bioware invested alot into this conversation system dial thing but let's not overdo it please.
Indifferent2.gif

mik

mik is unbeatable
I played as the engineer and never saw the "electronics too low" message. Of course, I could only shoot a fuckin' pistol, so...swings and roundabouts.

Top Bottom