• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Woo-Fu

Banned
Dina said:
Infiltrator picks up after lvl 24-26. If there is no hazard on a planet, I prefer sniping outside turrets to risking the heavy armor but weak hitting Mako.

Sounds like you may not be aware that the Mako has two fire modes, one machinegun, one heavy cannon. The cannon is anything but weak.

I made the same mistake and only used the machinegun for awhile not realizing I had the cannon. Killing the worms with just the machinegun is a real pain in the ass, lol. :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
djtortilla said:
anyone care to quickly summarize why they think this game is M-rated?
female nipples on display

shooting unarmed people in the head

lesbians

somewhat detailed zombies of various persuasions

Woo-Fu

Banned
djtortilla said:
anyone care to quickly summarize why they think this game is M-rated?

Two reasons:

1. Love interest and the ending scene(s) for it.
2. Playing as a renegade your character will brutally execute people now and then.

h_a_t

Okay, I'll be up and running with the game later today(had issues with RRoD a couple days ago), but for those that have either completed the game or are nearly complete, have you decided to choose the same two teammates all the way through?

Banned
Hunter D said:
I played a soldier with charm maxed and my weapon skills barely over half full and had no problems. How you set up your team determines what you can do. You won't be sniping if you don't have a teammate that is good with the ar for example.
Right, but soldiers have skills that give them health boosts and really high health regen. At this point in the game, I've only been able to afford an upgrade that gives me +2 health/sec, but a soldier can have +3.5 health/sec with a 6% health bonus right from the start of the game without taking up an armour slot.

I have no problem killing enemies - my sniper rifle takes out almost anything I've come across so far in a single shot, but there aren't many opportunities to snipe in the game as enemies magically see you from miles away as soon as you get out of the Mako, and it's mostly just been close-quarters combat so far with enemies just rushing you. (making them impossible to snipe) My pistol has 5/6 points put into it and is nearly useless though - I need 8-10 shots to kill a weaker target, by which point my shields are down and I'm really low on health.

Woo-Fu said:
Wasn't my experience at all. If you're playing on normal you can always go do some exploration and gain a few levels so you're that much stronger in the story missions.
I've only done one story mission so far though, everything else has just been exploring planets / doing side-quests to level up because I was getting my ass kicked. It's only been the last level or two, and since being able to afford some better armour that I'm actually surviving a single hit from more powerful enemies. (and even so, some still kill me in one hit)

I think I'll be starting over and trying another class / skipping on the charm points. It just feels like I've wasted 8/9 points there are you rarely get to use them.

Woo-Fu

Banned
h_a_t said:
Okay, I'll be up and running with the game later today(had issues with RRoD a couple days ago), but for those that have either completed the game or are nearly complete, have you decided to choose the same two teammates all the way through?

The only reason to do so is to get an ally achievement if you plan on doing most of the sidequests and exploration and not just the main story.

Even then you might still get an ally achievement for the person who spent the most time in your team.

I tend to think Kaidan and Wrex are the best squadmates, but that might have something to do with me playing as an infiltrator. After that Liara, Tali, and Williams are pretty good.

I'm playing as a Vanguard and Pistols and Intimidate were the first things I maxed. I still die occassionally, but the only combat I found difficult was the assault and rocket droids in the base where you earn your specialization. That was tricky, but I as long as I kept my patience and lured them one by one into the hallway where Tali and Wrex were waiting with shotguns, I was able to clear out the base quite handily. It was frustrating, but it was also the most satisfying combat experience in the game. I'm definitely considering replaying at a higher difficulty, as the tactical aspects really stand out during challenging encounters.

I honestly can't believe people are having so many problems with the Mako. I don't understand, what is hard or frustrating about the Mako sections? I died once when I piloted it for the first time, but once I got used to the control I haven't had any issues. I don't think I've even taken damage in any of the fights using the Mako. It's so easy to hang back and zoom in and spam rockets are your targets, its kind of a joke.

I'm getting a little burned out from all the side quests. I might just blow through the rest of the plot because that's what I'm really interested in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't understand, what is hard or frustrating about the Mako sections? I died once when I piloted it for the first time
I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't had any trouble with Mako sections (despite the ultra low framerate on some planets). In fact, I'd say all of them have been extremely easy. I actually enjoy using the Mako, to be honest.

So, are there only three main story planets? I've completed Feira (sp?) and am jumping around the galaxy doing some sidequests. If those other two planets are the only other plot planets, I'm going to keep leveling up to ensure I can handle them no problem -- I'm currently lvl 22.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Superblatt said:
So, are there only three main story planets? I've completed Feira (sp?) and am jumping around the galaxy doing some sidequests. If those other two planets are the only other plot planets, I'm going to keep leveling up to ensure I can handle them no problem -- I'm currently lvl 22.
Wait wait wait, is that true? There are only three story planets?!?! That's highly disappointing, if true.

ShinAmano said:
Hmmm possibly I am wrong...I went on my own experience...anyone else care to chime in?

There is an "elite" skill you unlock when you do the Luna's side mission(I think). Basically lets you choose to be either a combat heavy character or a tech/bio heavy character. I choose combat and the game became much easier.

dark10x said:
Wait wait wait, is that true? There are only three story planets?!?! That's highly disappointing, if true.

There's more than the 3 story planets. I think there are 5 total, not 100% sure as I'm not done with it yet.

arhra

besada said:
I parked the Mako and did that part with the sniper rifle. There's no "right" way to do it, although if you can't kill things with the Mako you may not know that LT is aiming mode, and clicking the right stick zooms in. And the Mako has a cannon on the RB.
I just figured this out today, nearly 30h in :( (I'm sidequesting like a mofo, i've even done the fucking survey eleventy billion minerals quest... on the upside, i've got more money than god and am kitted out in some insanely pimp shit)

arhra said:
I just figured this out today, nearly 30h in :( (I'm sidequesting like a mofo, i've even done the fucking survey eleventy billion minerals quest... on the upside, i've got more money than god and am kitted out in some insanely pimp shit)

RB on the Mako is damn near invincible. If I'm in the Mako and see enemies, I just aim and pound it until they're gone -- fast, lethal and easy. I didn't even know RB was there until I hit it on accident when I was getting my ass handed to me using the mounted machine gun. Talk about significantly easier.

forgeforsaken said:
There's more than the 3 story planets. I think there are 5 total, not 100% sure as I'm not done with it yet.

this was still pretty disappointing to me to only have three choices, I was expecting 5-7 'branching story path' planets at least with the addition of one or two mandatory planets for the start and endgame

the optional planets are great and they give me a reason to play through it again, though.

overall the game feels too short.

yukoner

andrewfee said:
I've been doing that, and have four shield bars with every character (well, Liara has 5/6, whatever the max is) and I'm still going down to about 1/4 health from a single hit at this stage. Up until recently I'd just die outright from virtually everything.

You don't have barrier skill? It can absorb 400pts of damage from the get go, and over 1000 when levelled up, using barrier on yourself, and your allies is really key to being succesful in this game.

Also, Wrex has the "invicincibility" talent, he can use when his shields are low, and as the name suggests it makes him virtually invincible.

ckohler

yukoner said:
You don't have barrier skill? It can absorb 400pts of damage from the get go, and over 1000 when levelled up, using barrier on yourself, and your allies is really key to being succesful in this game.
How do I use barrier on an ally? It seems I can only cast it on myself.

yukoner

ckohler said:
How do I use barrier on an ally? It seems I can only cast it on myself.

If they have the skill, simply select it from the power wheel.

They are generally fairly good at casting it on themselves if you have skills set to "Defence Only"

Meier

Are there any uncharted planets that are green? I keep hoping I'll land on one that isn't a barren wasteland.. but it always is.

Is it me or is the song in the end credits the best end credits song ever?

Edit: There were two "green" sidequest planets that I came across on my journey, but later on.

SPEA

MisterAnderson said:

Edit: There were two "green" sidequest planets that I came across on my journey, but later on.
Yeah, said the same thing to my girlfriend. Great tune.

MisterAnderson said:

It's close, but after
Portal
I really cannot say it is the best with a clear conscience

Son of Godzilla said:
So what's the final playtime on this look like? I already regret reading the last couple posts on this page, no way I'm looking for it.

I beat the game at level 48 I believe (pissed that I didn't get the level 50 achievement...thinking about reloading my save before I beat the game and leveling up on random planets or something) and it took me about 30 hours. I did every sidequest I ever got (almost finished the fetch quests).

SPEA

Son of Godzilla said:
So what's the final playtime on this look like? I already regret reading the last couple posts on this page, no way I'm looking for it.
I beat it in about 30 hours. I did do a fair amount of sidequests and exploring though.

Keyser Soze said:
It's close, but after
Portal

6p4xyew.gif

Full of win

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
MisterAnderson said:
I beat the game at level 48 I believe (pissed that I didn't get the level 50 achievement...thinking about reloading my save before I beat the game and leveling up on random planets or something) and it took me about 30 hours. I did every sidequest I ever got (almost finished the fetch quests).

Just start a new game and use your old character, you'll start at level 48.

MisterAnderson said:

you can restart the game with your same character

Gattsu25

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
It's close, but after
Portal
I personally hated the
Portal
end credits. I just couldn't resist the urge to mute the volume no matter how clever it was.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I I assume that it's for every character you have and will create from then on even if they don't have them by default, or else some like the Throw and Lift ones wouldn't make sense as you'd already have them on your character to unlock the Achievement...

ElectricBlue187 said:
you can restart the game with your same character

I did not know this...you just start new career and it uses your same old character? Or does it let you pick a new class/change the look of your character and your level will still remain?

Variable

I don't think they really expect you to get that achievement in one play through. Thats why they have achievements for multiple play trough's.

watership

MisterAnderson said:

It's pretty damn good. And again, I lament the lack of access to pay ANY amount of dough to get the Mass Effect soundtrack.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
MisterAnderson said:
I did not know this...you just start new career and it uses your same old character? Or does it let you pick a new class/change the look of your character and your level will still remain?

You can choose "existing career," but can't change the class or look, only the level remains (and some weapons and armor too).

Gattsu25

Banned
Borgnine said:
You can choose "existing career," but can't change the class or look, only the level remains (and some weapons and armor too).
Hopefully, this is a contradiction.

You mean the only thing that remains is the character level (and some equipment) and you can change the class and look?

Or (and most likely what you meant):

Do you mean that it's effectively a New Game+ and that you cannot change class or appearance and that you start the game at the same level as you where when you finished the game (though only some of your equipment is retained from your previous playthrough)?

P.S. I know you meant the second one.

Gattsu25 said:
Hopefully, this is a contradiction.

You mean the only thing that remains is the character level (and some equipment) and you can change the class and look?

Or (and most likely what you meant):

Do you mean that it's effectively a New Game+ and that you cannot change class or appearance and that you start the game at the same level as you where when you finished the game (though only some of your equipment is retained from your previous playthrough)?

P.S. I know you meant the second one.

I hope it's the first one

Aurora

Son of Godzilla said:
I'm just about halfway through the main questline and I've already clocked over 27 hours. At this rate I'm expecting at least 40 hours on the clock by the time I wrap up my first playthrough.

The sidequests are garbage for the most part, but I really enjoy the combat system so I chore through them anyway. It's a shame really, they could have had them be so much more interesting if they'd just made the enemy bases far bigger and more varying in design. So far I've been to about 6 carbon copy bases. Not good.

I'm also really disheartened at the lack of cities to explore. It seems that the Citadel is the only one which is ridiculous for a game supposedly taking place over several galaxies. I'd expect at least one major city in each galaxy but I have yet to even see one other than the Citadel. In RPGs one of my favourite moments is arriving to a new town or city and admiring its architecture, speaking with NPCs to pick up new quests and seeing what kind of equipment is available from the new vendors. Mass Effect is really lacking in this department.

Another thing I find disappointing is the lack of scenery and life in the galaxies. I've done more sidequests than storyline quests and they have all been monotonous recycled crap, whereas the questline environments have been brilliant. It seems that BioWare put all the effort in the questline and then just tacked on a pile of sidequests with the smallest of efforts in an attempt to pad out the game. I want to explore dark caverns, forests, wild fields and other vibrant places - I'm sick of visiting the same old rock-covered planet over and over again with a new lick of paint.

The Mass Effect IP has massive potential for improvement. In ME2 I expect all the technical bugs and practical annoyances (item management and auto-save in particular) to be ironed out. I also expect a lot more effort to be made to the sidequests and really make them an extension of the main quest and not just some forced space fillers. As well as being part of the Alliance I wish to be able to join other guilds and factions a la Oblivion to really give me a purpose of stepping out of the main questline and exploring the universe. If all these things are addressed we are looking at a very strong contender for my game of the century.

Top Bottom