• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

X26

Banned
oh man I suck

beat the game and didn't get any romance optinos at all. I guess I missed a chance to talk with ash/liara. Anyways great game, playing as an asshole infiltrator was a lot of fun (although the sniper became useful fast as the pistol becomes ungodly strong). I let the council die and for the humans to "take over", four ending right?. Gonna go paragon my second time through and see how different it is

yukoner

Kittonwy said:
There's a lot of talking in this game, even for a Bioware game. I've finished KOTOR and KOTOR2 (I know it's made by Obsidian) but damn, I have to track down some dude just to talk to him, and then he'll tell me to talk to some other guy, and then I have to go back to guy #1 to tell him what guy #2 said, and depending on whether I pick "let me try that again" or not, I might have to go BACK to guy #2 to set guy#2 straight, sometimes I wonder if it would be better for them to just settle the problem themselves or just fucking kill each other. What's worse is when the two characters are fucking standing RIGHT BESIDE EACH OTHER.

I'm supposed to be a FUCKING SPECTRE AGENT, MR. FUCKING BADASS, and here I am running like a god damn errand boy. For all the "OMFGZ I CAN'T BELIEVE I R TAWKIN TO TEH COMMANDER SHEPPARD MR. BADASS WHO SAVED EDEN PRIME RAWR", there's an errand boy quest. Let me settle things via either stealth or guns blazing instead of having all this talking ALL THE TIME, I understand Bioware invested alot into this conversation system dial thing but let's not overdo it please.
Indifferent2.gif

LOL. So why the heck didn't you just say "I don't have time for this"?

I love it when people ACCEPT sidequests, and then bitch that they're doing said sidequest. Turn that shit down if you don't want to do it! Simple.

yukoner

X26 said:
oh man I suck

beat the game and didn't get any romance optinos at all. I guess I missed a chance to talk with ash/liara. Anyways great game, playing as an asshole infiltrator was a lot of fun (although the sniper became useful fast as the pistol becomes ungodly strong). I let the council die and for the humans to "take over", four ending right?. Gonna go paragon my second time through and see how different it is

You have to go find them in the ship and speak to them. Ashley is in the mako bay, Liara is somewhere on the 2nd level IIRC.

yukoner

Aurora said:
This has happened to every single probe I've visited. I'm talking 20+ which is really frustrating. What's worse is that I finally started bothering investing in Electronics and my skill still isn't high enough, meaning I need it at Master level. Screw that!

90% of the ones I've found on my playthrough were medium or lower, which only takes about 5 or 6 points for Tali or Garrus.

Zen

Banned
forgeforsaken said:
What difficulty are you on? Playing on normal I've really had no problems with my Infiltrator at all. In fact I've gotten through a bunch of what seem to be the tougher encounters for other people
Benizia
for example with few problems. Party composition mostly consists of Liara and Wrex, though I'll swap out Liara for Tali if it's more tech heavy mission.

Heck I'm an Infiltrator, Novaria was the first planet I went to, and I had Garrous and the girl in the full body enviro suit. Right off the bat they killed me, but up until that point I hadn't had to even use any of my skills or abilities aside from shoot. I ended up beating
Benizia
. It was a close battle, but I wouldn't have remotely called it impossible or too difficult. In fact my main complaint about the game is it feels like it doesn't matter who I have on my team (I never use Wrex or Kaiden), in fact the only difference for me would be that having someone like Liara (Biotics) makes combat even easier.

And I have my Charisma maxed out as well as my Intimidate. The one class that I could see there being problems with would be adept, early on.

Kittonwy

Banned
yukoner said:
LOL. So why the heck didn't you just say "I don't have time for this"?

I love it when people ACCEPT sidequests, and then bitch that they're doing said sidequest. Turn that shit down if you don't want to do it! Simple.

I want to help these people out, on the other hand they're really not making things easy for me to do these sidequests, I need a glass of water from all the talking.
Indifferent2.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Y2Kev said:
Someone needs to make a listing of the locations for the scholar codex achievement.

If you talk to everyone and go through all the options, you should unlock this soon after leaving the Citadel.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Is there a point of no return in this game?

Yes. You'll want to do everything before you start the fourth main story mission.

Big-E

Aurora said:
Well, once you finish your first playthrough you can reuse that character to get the Hardcore achievement. Hardcore must be selected at the start of the new game+ and mustn't be changed ever.

Where is this option. When I started a new game with my created character it never asked me for difficulty. It was on normal when I finally gained control. I am assuming it wont work then.

Phthisis

Just beat it. Amazing ride there at the end. I loved the game a lot, probably the best RPG I've ever played, mostly due to the cinematic execution. I also don't think I've ever beaten a game so fast; I got the game on Wednesday, and beat it today with just under 40 hours clocked. That is insane. Mass Effect has been my entire life recently, which is a testament to the hooks this game has.

The technical issues didn't bother me too much (the DREs were annoying), but my main gripe was the utterly retarded save system. It seemed like the game just saved whenever it wanted to rather than having any sort of decipherable save system. I had to replay a lot of segments much to my annoyance because the game would autosave five times in three minutes at some unimportant point and then not autosave again for a couple hours; dear BioWare, a competent checkpoint system is required in this day and age.

One thing I thought was lame at the end:
There I am confronting Saren in the Council chamber, and I decided to try to use my Paragon charm on him, and within two lines of dialogue, not only have I convinced him to fight the mental slavery of Sovereign, but I then am able to convince him to kill himself. Um, what? That's all it takes?

Otherwise, I thought the game was amazing, and a lot of elements really helped innovate and move RPGs forward as a genre. Here I am sitting on the title screen and I'm all ready for the sequel.

Zzoram

Does anyone have a complete list of side quests? I've done a ton, and visited every planet I can (other than Virmire). I have no active side quests, but I want to make sure I'm done them all before I go to Virmire.

Y2Kev said:
Someone needs to make a listing of the locations for the scholar codex achievement.

I got this achievement, but have no fucking idea how. I had only done Feros, then had come back to the Citadel to find a bunch of the sidequests (So I could level up). I ended up getting it after talking to one of those blue hologram guides in the Citadel.

Big-E

So because you can't start a new game+ with hardcore selected from the start you can't get the achievement or simply changing the difficulty before Eden Prime is enough?

Big-E said:
So because you can't start a new game+ with hardcore selected from the start you can't get the achievement or simply changing the difficulty before Eden Prime is enough?

Its the difficulty level that you end Eden Prime with, after which you cant change it.

elithrar

jet1911 said:
I'm playing as an Adept and I have maxed out Pistol, Throw and Intimidate. No problems at all during most of the encounters. If you're weak in combat bring Ash or Kaidan with you.

No problems here with my Vanguard/Nemesis, even after investing heavily into Charm early on and maximising Throw & Lift. You really need to be patient with some of the fights - running in shooting stuff up will not work in most cases.

h_a_t said:
Okay, I'll be up and running with the game later today(had issues with RRoD a couple days ago), but for those that have either completed the game or are nearly complete, have you decided to choose the same two teammates all the way through?

I changed team-mates depending on what I expected to fight on a planet - Ashley + Tali when fighting Geth, and Ashley + Garrus for anything else.

Foob

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I just recently started playing the game as a Vanguard, and I'm untrained with the Assault Rifle. How do I go about getting trained in that?

elithrar

Foob said:
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I just recently started playing the game as a Vanguard, and I'm untrained with the Assault Rifle. How do I go about getting trained in that?

Only the Soldier has training in the Assault Rifle by default. The only way to become 'skilled' in the AR with another class is to gain the Assault Rifle Mastery achievement (150 kills with it) and to select it when making a new character.

Honestly though, Shotguns are insanely powerful later on - to the point of one-shotting most enemies at point blank, and either one-shotting them or getting very close to it at medium range.

Foob said:

I'm pretty sure you're limited to pistol and shotgun.

watership

Kittonwy said:
There's a lot of talking in this game, even for a Bioware game. I've finished KOTOR and KOTOR2 (I know it's made by Obsidian) but damn, I have to track down some dude just to talk to him, and then he'll tell me to talk to some other guy, and then I have to go back to guy #1 to tell him what guy #2 said, and depending on whether I pick "let me try that again" or not, I might have to go BACK to guy #2 to set guy#2 straight, sometimes I wonder if it would be better for them to just settle the problem themselves or just fucking kill each other. What's worse is when the two characters are fucking standing RIGHT BESIDE EACH OTHER.

I'm supposed to be a FUCKING SPECTRE AGENT, MR. FUCKING BADASS, and here I am running like a god damn errand boy. For all the "OMFGZ I CAN'T BELIEVE I R TAWKIN TO TEH COMMANDER SHEPPARD MR. BADASS WHO SAVED EDEN PRIME RAWR", there's an errand boy quest. Let me settle things via either stealth or guns blazing instead of having all this talking ALL THE TIME, I understand Bioware invested alot into this conversation system dial thing but let's not overdo it please.
Indifferent2.gif

Have you played a RPG before? You know where you collect sugar for an old lady but just 10 mins before you were calling down SPACE DRAGONS to destroy some mutant bandits?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
The Lamonster said:
what? Does the sex scene really show nippes? I thought it just showed 'uttcrack...

I've seen a blue hand, and some ass. No nips.

Can someone fill us in on this? Where be the nips?

jet1911

The ending is fuck awesomely fantastic. Wow. :O

I decided to let the Concil die in it's ship, if I decided to send the reinforcement to save them would they be alive? The repercussion for Mass Effect 2 are huuuuuuuuuge. Also I liked how the ships got destroyed in the cutscenes.

The credit song is awesome too. Like really.

U K Narayan said:
Anyone find it pretty weird that you never personally meet Admiral Hackett?

I reckon we'll meet him in the next games. Lance Henriksen voiced him.

Yeah its absolutely bizarre. I wasn't sure if you never meet him or I just hadn't run into him. But I guess you never do.

Weird that they would hire an actor of such skill just to play a disembodied voice.

Phthisis

Subarushian said:
Weird that they would hire an actor of such skill just to play a disembodied voice.

That's one of the things that's so outstanding about this game to me: every character big or small had a fantastic voice actor. There's an NPC in the consort's place on the Citadel who you can't even have a conversation with (but can talk to) who is a pretty famous actress who's been in tons of stuff (though I can't remember her name; she's done voice work for cartoons and stuff, too) that has like 2 lines.

EDIT- I thought I heard Cam Clarke in the game somewhere too, but according to IMDB he didn't work on Mass Effect.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
jet1911 said:
The ending is fuck awesomely fantastic. Wow. :O

I decided to let the Concil die in it's ship, if I decided to send the reinforcement to save them would they be alive? The repercussion for Mass Effect 2 are huuuuuuuuuge. Also I liked how the ships got destroyed in the cutscenes.

The credit song is awesome too. Like really.

http://www.myspace.com/faunts

So yeah I beat the game on Hardcore.

Insanity is pretty crazy(lolz!) so far. It's not much harder I guess but enemies are more likely to use immunity(which is damn annoying). I don't really have any use for the crap in boxes as I have pretty much all of the best stuff in the game. So this time I'm going Ashley & Wrex.

Wrex is fucking awesome btw. I probably screwed this quote up but here goes:

"How is a woman with clothes on more attractive than a naked one?"

He says this when you ask that one Surian(in Noveria, the same guy you can do the infinite paragon/renegade points glitch on). Ask him about the Matriarch with Wrex in your party and he'll mention something about the outfit she's wearing.

Wrex is definitely the most unique character in the game in terms of his dialog. Everything he says is just so... krogan. :D

Everyone else treats you like the ranking military officer (as they should damnit!) but Wrex doesn't give a fuck.

Phthisis

His gun is loud. When he
gets angry on Virmire and starts shooting the rocks
I swear I thought the camp was being hit with mortar fire or something. I could not figure out what the hell it was until I approached him.

segarr

Phthisis said:
His gun is loud. When he
gets angry on Virmire and starts shooting the rocks
I swear I thought the camp was being hit with mortar fire or something. I could not figure out what the hell it was until I approached him.

This level was damn amazing.....
even that speech by the Salarian general turned out well. And I remember everyone *****ing about it being corny from the few clips. But the whole thing worked

EvaPlusMinus said:
Faunts is awesome, let me tell you. I just ordered their album High Expectations Low Results.

The song they used in Mass Effect's credits is called "M4 Part II". I love it. It totally reminds me of the vocal credit songs of those old sci-fi movies and such.

I hope they perform similar work for the future games.

Lostconfused said:
But it is corny.
I thought it was corny, too. Mostly because there was no crowd payoff for it. Plus, the music was really loud in that scene.

IJoel

I completed the storyline for this game last night, and have to say that it became one of my favorite games. Ever. There's been a lot of nitpicking going on about this game, and the only thing I can say about that is that I wish the majority games without those issues came close to this one when it comes to what matters, and that is the overall experience. I found it to be simply outstanding, and very enthralling. BioWare has managed to create a very remarkable universe and I can only hope they're already working on a sequel.

Stats:
Class: Vanguard
Level: 50
Leanings: Paragon

Some pics:
shepard_shotgun.jpg

shepard_pistol.jpg

shepard_biotics.jpg

shepard_armor.jpg

assault_rifle.jpg

Phthisis

jet1911 said:
The art direction of this game is so good. Everything is coherent, there's nothing that look out of place.

I'll tell you what looks out of place: the pink armor Ashley wears on Kaidan Alenko. I was embarrassed to leave the Normandy with him looking like that.

DrBo42

I love all the Mass Effect comments on that Faunts page. To think a videogame could get a band recognition is pretty crazy. I pretty much love the song.

segarr

U K Narayan said:
I thought it was corny, too. Mostly because there was no crowd payoff for it. Plus, the music was really loud in that scene.

The no "hoorah" was one of the reasons I thought it worked well. I was expecting some big call to arms, but, he just sort of turns around like "ready when you are". I felt the sacrifice they were about to make was represented well to the gamer, and the little sound clips they played throughout the mission helped it out as well.

Top Bottom