• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Eric WK

segarr said:
The no "hoorah" was one of the reasons I thought it worked well. I was expecting some big call to arms, but, he just sort of turns around like "ready when you are". I felt the sacrifice they were about to make was represented well to the gamer, and the little sound clips they played throughout the mission helped it out as well.

Agreed completely.

ElyrionX

Did anybody play through the game maxing out both Charm and Intimidate. I want to do that to open up more dialog options but I'm worried about gimping my character combat-wise.

Also, exactly how many free points do we get in Charm and Intimidate as we progress through the story? I know that when you become a
Spectre
, you'll get one free point in Charm and one free point in Intimidate. Are there any other such instances in the game?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just got the Rich Achievement a few minutes ago, and man, the stats on the Spectre weapons are insane - as if my shotgun wasn't a lethal boomstick before! :D

Got the Specter Assault Rifle and Sniper for Ashley and the Pistol for myself apart from the shotgun too... not to mention we're all decked out in matching Mercenary armor - I just LOVE the armor designs in this game, especially the way everything just coordinates together - you know we're a squad when we're strolling through the city...

Quick and dirty shots of the squad in matching gear (all found in boxes BTW, and hella strong too):

6ofclud.jpg

6sa6nuc.jpg

Damn I love this game...

segarr

beerbelly said:
Are Ashley (soldier) and the Sentinel you team up with at the beginning of the game the only sidekicks?

No, there are 4 more, each of a different species and character class.

Although, it may be possible not to accept these people in your party (I'm not sure though, I was happy to add everyone).

beerbelly

Banned
segarr said:
No, there are 4 more, each of a different species and character class.

Although, it may be possible not to accept these people in your party (I'm not sure though, I was happy to add everyone).

*slaps head* As soon as I saw your avatar I knew I asked a stupid question. I knew Wrex was another partner to pick up. Thanks for the info.

MMaRsu

Oh man I slapped this ammo upgrade on Garrus his sniper that overheats it in 1 hit, but does so much fucking damage.

It's like +500 overheating but also +500 damage or something :lol :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Linkzg said:
how do you get that armor?

Found them all - I hadn't bought anything but grenade and first aid kit supply increases until I got the Rich Achievement and bought the Spectre weapons my best weapon/armor found was always better than the best that the stores sold...

And this armor is pretty strong when compared to my level, mods and where I'm at (level 33 thanks to many sidequests done, and I'm about halfway storywise I think, so fights are no problem for me whatsoever... the name of the armor is Mercenary, and I think it started dropping when I hit level 30...

Woo-Fu

Banned
MMaRsu said:
It's like +500 overheating but also +500 damage or something :lol :lol

Not really, if you look close it is +500% overheat and +500% Weapon Force while only being +28% damage. Basically it is worthless unless you find a bunch of people sitting in each others' laps and want to knock them over. Sledgehammer rounds will do basically the same thing without overheating your gun every shot.

High Explosive Rounds, the level 10 version has a 420cm blast radius.

Best armors I've found:

Predator M X (medium-human)
Predator H X (heavy-human)
Predator L X (light-human)

Predator L X (light-turian)

Predator H X (heavy-krogan)

Collosus X (light-quarian)

I haven't found Predator armor for a Quarian, may not exist. The Collosus stuff is almost as good as the Predator, Collosus has slighty higher damage protection while Predator series has has higher shielding.

The Collosus armor series looks the coolest, imho, black and red patterns.

MMaRsu

Woo-Fu said:
Not really, if you look close it is +500% overheat and +500% Weapon Force while only being +28% damage. Basically it is worthless unless you find a bunch of people sitting in each others' laps and want to knock them over. Sledgehammer rounds will do basically the same thing without overheating your gun every shot.

High Explosive Rounds, the level 10 version has a 420cm blast radius.

But still, always kills normal geth soldiers instantly.

Phthisis

If anyone has the special edition DVD, the developer commentary on the 13th image under the asari concept art gallery is fucking hilarious :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
MMaRsu said:
But still, always kills normal geth soldiers instantly.

Most of the rounds do that, though, and they don't overheat your gun. :)

If you're sniping geth you want Tungsten rounds, trust me.

Tali in Collosus Light Armor, posing with a sniper rifle. :)

474b9c04b97e4.jpg

mandiller

I bought the Mass Effect character theme off the marketplace. It's actually pretty good, I recommend it.

....I feel dirty for having bought a theme now though.

segarr

Woo-Fu said:
Most of the rounds do that, though, and they don't overheat your gun. :)

If you're sniping geth you want Tungsten rounds, trust me.

Tali in Collosus Light Armor, posing with a sniper rifle. :)

474b9c04b97e4.jpg

Nice...I really hope we get to see what Quarians look like at some point, same thing with Volus.

segarr said:
Nice...I really hope we get to see what Quarians look like at some point, same thing with Volus.

Yup but the Volus wont survive outside their suits and the Quarians wont do so well either. So hopefully we will be able to visit their home world and the fleet. Also we didn't have a Salarian character with us, so that also sucked. Oh and more alien romance. There is so much that they can add to the next game, i cant wait.

xbhaskarx

How much stuff can I carry?
At this point I have 12 spare human armor suits that I have no need for (and should I sell them or turn them into omni-gel?)...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It depends. If you really suck at that Simon Says mini game that you need to do when you hack things, then you should probably turn some into omni-gel. Also, it seems like every single item, no matter the quality gives you the same 4 omni-gel so you might be better off turning cheaper items into gel and selling the more expensive stuff.

I never had any problems with running out of omni-gel (I had like 200 or so at the end of the game) so I just sold everything until I had too much money to know what to do with.

Edit: oh yeah, the item limit is 150 items. It starts to warn you once you have 130 items or more I think.

MaizeRage25 said:
Man, after browsing this thread I feel like my squad has some really shitty equipment.

I'm SO jealous.

as you play the game the amount of money you get and the quality of items that drop increases and a ridiculous rate.

After beating the game yesterday, I went back to an earlier save and completed every damn mission I could except one where the guy I was supposed to report to was already dead. I ended up with 9,999,999 credits well before the last planet but I topped out at level 49, and despite using the same team for the entire game (except one damn mission) and getting the Completionist achievement, I did not get any of the Ally Completionist achievements.

So tell me, GAF, how the hell do I get to level 50 (or 60 for that matter), and what do I need to do to get the Ally achievements?!?

watership

Skilotonn said:
Just got the Rich Achievement a few minutes ago, and man, the stats on the Spectre weapons are insane - as if my shotgun wasn't a lethal boomstick before! :D

Got the Specter Assault Rifle and Sniper for Ashley and the Pistol for myself apart from the shotgun too... not to mention we're all decked out in matching Mercenary armor - I just LOVE the armor designs in this game, especially the way everything just coordinates together - you know we're a squad when we're strolling through the city...

Quick and dirty shots of the squad in matching gear (all found in boxes BTW, and hella strong too):

6ofclud.jpg

6sa6nuc.jpg

Damn I love this game...

I got some armor for Sheppard just before I finished the game, it was just above Mercenary, and it was totally godly. Red as well. For the life of me, I can't recall what it was called.

dammitmattt said:
After beating the game yesterday, I went back to an earlier save and completed every damn mission I could except one where the guy I was supposed to report to was already dead. I ended up with 9,999,999 credits well before the last planet but I topped out at level 49, and despite using the same team for the entire game (except one damn mission) and getting the Completionist achievement, I did not get any of the Ally Completionist achievements.

So tell me, GAF, how the hell do I get to level 50 (or 60 for that matter), and what do I need to do to get the Ally achievements?!?

Start a new career then pick use existing profile. Also the game is very picky when it comes to the "ally" achievements.

Woo-Fu said:
The Colossus stuff is almost as good as the Predator, Colossus has slighty higher damage protection while Predator series has has higher shielding.

I prefer the Colossus because there are shield mods that can dramatically boost your protection. Though I suppose there are damage protection mods that do the same, I still like the combination with Colossus better. Shields are easier to manage than health.

Lostconfused said:
Start a new career then pick use existing profile. Also the game is very picky when it comes to the "ally" achievements.

If I do this, am I locked into my class? Also, can I play on Hardcore or Insane with this character. The new game + doesn't seem to be well thought out and is definitely not explained worth a damn within the game.

dammitmattt said:
If I do this, am I locked into my class? Also, can I play on Hardcore or Insane with this character. The new game + doesn't seem to be well thought out and is definitely not explained worth a damn within the game.

You cannot change any parameters. You are essentially replaying your character.

The only way to modify your class is the Luna side-mission IIRC.

PG2G

Man, evidently I missed a bunch of stuff in my 14 hour play through :p I didn't get to do any love plots, missed a bunch of armors and weapons... damn. I guess I'll wait for a faq and then replay it on insane.

PG2G said:
Man, evidently I missed a bunch of stuff in my 14 hour play through :p I didn't get to do any love plots, missed a bunch of armors and weapons... damn. I guess I'll wait for a faq and then replay it on insane.

You don't need a FAQ. Just talk to everyone and explore planets.

DrBo42 said:
Explain please.

You add one new attribute which basically acts as a modifier for your existing skills. I didn't see a way to really change anything when I had the choice.

The mission is on the moon :)

DrBo42

dammitmattt said:
You add one new attribute which basically acts as a modifier for your existing skills. I didn't see a way to really change anything when I had the choice.

The mission is on the moon :)

As in our moon? I completely missed that one, damnit.

DrBo42 said:
As in our moon? I completely missed that one, damnit.

Yes. I should say that you can change the difficultly with game+, you aren't locked into that.

Also if you get particular achievements (like the get 150 kills with assault rifle) you unlock that skill for NEWLY created characters to use, think Adept + assault rifle.

Mindlog

Holy poop on a stick. This game is great.

I had no idea.

They should have sent a poet and whatnot.

I haven't left the Citadel, but I want to go find Terminus and talk to the mayor.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Subarushian said:
I prefer the Colossus because there are shield mods that can dramatically boost your protection. Though I suppose there are damage protection mods that do the same, I still like the combination with Colossus better. Shields are easier to manage than health.

150+ is max shield mod, seems like. Instead of maxing shield with mods, I max shield regen rate and health regen rate. If somebody's shields are going down they're going to die anyways if I don't pull them back.

Problem with the mods that max shields is that that is all they do. I go with Kinetic Exo and Health Exo on most of them, swap out Health Exo for Combat Exo on the Krogan since he has built-in regen.

Playing on insanity the problem isn't defense anyways, it is offense. Anything that is a base class of soldier or krogan is a royal pain to kill. Everybody has immunity, everybody has full heal, everybody has shield boost, it is like you have to kill them 4 times over before they start to die. The Krogan Battlemasters are the worst, not only are they very hard to kill they also like to charge everybody and kill people in 2 melee attacks.

segarr said:
The no "hoorah" was one of the reasons I thought it worked well. I was expecting some big call to arms, but, he just sort of turns around like "ready when you are". I felt the sacrifice they were about to make was represented well to the gamer, and the little sound clips they played throughout the mission helped it out as well.
I guess that's reasonable. After all, the Salarians are no Elites*. :p

* Halo reference

GilloD

Banned
Just started playing. Got a disc read error and quit, which has me a little spooked. Any advice? Skills to avoid, perhaps? Garrus seems like a wuss, he keeps getting dropped. Wrex and I, though. Hard core dudes.

Phthisis

There's some very fascinating stuff on the bonus DVD that came with the LE. For example, the noise at the title screen (which is in fact the signal noise from Sovereign) was recorded inside a bear-proof trash can in a national park in Alberta.

There's also some good interviews with various members of the dev team and what they think about working on more powerful hardware, something I'm sure GAF would love to talk argue about.

As I sit here with the soundtrack selections from that very DVD playing, I think I've got to say that this game is up there as one of my all-time favorites. Despite its flaws, it delivers one hell of a unique and powerful experience.

Top Bottom