• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Phthisis said:
There's some very fascinating stuff on the bonus DVD that came with the LE. For example, the noise at the title screen (which is in fact the signal noise from Sovereign) was recorded inside a bear-proof trash can in a national park in Alberta.

There's also some good interviews with various members of the dev team and what they think about working on more powerful hardware, something I'm sure GAF would love to talk argue about.

As I sit here with the soundtrack selections from that very DVD playing, I think I've got to say that this game is up there as one of my all-time favorites. Despite its flaws, it delivers one hell of a unique and powerful experience.

Yup. I was just chatting with Ryan O'Donnell today and we both agreed that I would love to play a 5 or 6 hour game that was nothing but an interactive "movie" with choose-your-own-adventure dialogue bits and critical decision bits that was meant to be played through in one sitting for a totally insane, awesome, over-the-top cinematic experience. A true in-game engine movie with no-holds-barred effects because they could optimize the shit out of it in terms of performance.

I could totally picture a Mass Effect side story adventure like this, or even something using the Uncharted engine.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
wtf @
luna mission

what kind of maniac thought throwing in 10 missile drones would be funnnn?! I sure as hell don't think it is :<

on that note i think this is the first time in the game i should use my powers! wheeee

Phthisis

chespace said:
Yup. I was just chatting with Ryan O'Donnell today and we both agreed that I would love to play a 5 or 6 hour game that was nothing but an interactive "movie" with choose-your-own-adventure dialogue bits and critical decision bits that was meant to be played through in one sitting for a totally insane, awesome, over-the-top cinematic experience. A true in-game engine movie with no-holds-barred effects because they could optimize the shit out of it in terms of performance.

I could totally picture a Mass Effect side story adventure like this, or even something using the Uncharted engine.

That would certainly be awesome, and perhaps an opportunity for a new genre of game.

Related to that, as I played through ME, I was impressed as hell at the amount of work that went into creating the dialogue system. For the first time in a game it felt like I was actually interlocuting with the NPCs rather than just having them talk at me.

There's a scene on the bonus DVD where the lead writer on ME (Drew Karpyshyn) opens up his file of the ME script and shows how exponentially massive the game's lines were by opening each branching dialogue file based on Shepard's response to Ashley in one scene of the game.

The amount of detailed work that went into creating ME is staggering to me.

segarr

chespace said:

If I was a game designer, I would steal your idea.

Good stuff, I would love to see something like this, the graphics they used in the "Many decisions" commercial would be more then efficient.

Nutter

Soo... 860 F'n K EXP for lvl 60.. WTF!

I still need another 150k :( (and i am running out my desire to keep playing)(3rd run already)

I just finished it tonight with around 37 hours on the clock. I thought it was a great game. I agree with a lot of people's complaints though, especially about the side quests. Those planets look like (and most likely are) randomly generated terrains and they are very very lame. I think they should have taken the Valve approach and just axed all that crap. The side quests would have worked better if the all took place in the main planets like the ones in Feros.

What I really liked about was building up my characters and the combat. I thought the biotics would have been a lot more fun if they didn't have such long cooldowns though. I didn't even use them on most fights. I mostly just used lift or throw when an enemy rushed me. I played as a Vanguard though. I guess they're probably better with an Adept.

I also absolutely love the story, characters, and the whole universe Bioware has made for this game. I thought it would be more Star Wars but, it really has more of a Star Trek kind of feel. I kept thinking of science books from school while playing the game really.

Anyway, I can't wait for the sequel. I just hope they can get all the issues worked out and it doesn't take them 2 or 3 years to make it. The whole trilogy is supposed to come out on 360, right?

xbhaskarx

Question about Attican Beta Cluster / Hercules System / Eletania:

I'm on Eletania doing some side mission involving a downed Alliance recon probe, and on the right side of the big flat area there are these spider monkey-looking alien things walking around between some rocks that look like plant bulbs. I got out of the Mako and there's nothing I can interact with.

What do I do? Has it been discussed elsewhere in this thread?

Edit: Oh, I guess I was supposed to get there after finding the probe...

cluto

xbhaskarx said:
Question about Attican Beta Cluster / Hercules System / Eletania:

I'm on Eletania doing some side mission involving a downed Alliance recon probe, and on the right side of the big flat area there are these spider monkey-looking alien things walking around between some rocks that look like plant bulbs. I got out of the Mako and there's nothing I can interact with.
Don't forget to go to the bottom left Anomaly on the map to activate an awesome Prothean ruin. Definitely one of the coolest moments I've come across while playing this game.

xbhaskarx

Exarchos said:
Don't forget to go to the bottom left Anomaly on the map to activate an awesome Prothean ruin. Definitely one of the coolest moments I've come across while playing this game.

Yeah that was awesome.

Is there any benefit or penalty for killing the monkeys?

Phthisis

Exarchos said:

Is that the one with the floating mirror orb with a key slot? I never found out what to do with that.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Phthisis said:
Is that the one with the floating mirror orb with a key slot? I never found out what to do with that.

Yeah it is. You get the key from the Asari consort in the Citadel after completing her request (the first sidequest IRC) and when you insert it into the ruin it
activates it and you have a vision (detailed through text, i.e. no cutscene) of the life of an early human (cro-magnon?) and his experience with Protheans studying/monitoring him.

Odrion

Banned
AniHawk said:
Huh. Can't believe I'm a Renegade. Maybe I shouldn't have told that one guy to shut up about his wife's corpse.
God that guy was annoying, there really should of been an option to execute anyone in any sort of dialog choice.

xbhaskarx

Maybe I'm a bit slow, but after leaving Eletania I realized
surely it's not a coincidence that on the same planet you have both the Cro-Magnon - Prothean thing and monkey-like creatures who stumble upon advanced technology they don't understand. Very "2001"...

Phthisis

Killthee said:
Yeah it is. You get the key from the Asari consort in the Citadel after completing her request (the first sidequest IRC) and when you insert it into the ruin it
activates it and you have a vision (detailed through text, i.e. no cutscene) of the life of an early human (cro-magnon?) and his experience with Protheans studying/monitoring him.

Shit I never thought to go back to her place. I didn't read your spoiler text, so hopefully I remember to catch this quest on my second playthrough.

AniHawk

I haven't even left the Citadel and I'm so in love with the music. As the game began, I caught myself bobbing my head to the music. I never do that. The way the game feels like a late 70s/early 80s scifi movie is great. For whatever reason, the music makes me think of Blade Runner (and for the record I don't recall the music in Blade Runner).

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
AniHawk said:
I haven't even left the Citadel and I'm so in love with the music. As the game began, I caught myself bobbing my head to the music. I never do that. The way the game feels like a late 70s/early 80s scifi movie is great. For whatever reason, the music makes me think of Blade Runner (and for the record I don't recall the music in Blade Runner).

Vangelis for life!

Firestarter is on HBO right now and the soundtrack is totally Mass Effect synths.

Also, go out and buy some early Front 242 and Cabaret Voltaire records.

Your fuckin' head will bob. And/or explode.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Borys said:
Stupid question time: why isn't this stickied?

New rule (heard it in the Uncharted thread), 7000+ post required before a thread becomes stickied.

segarr

There is so much to talk about still...this thing is going to be a 1st pager for awhile.

Anyways, I know it's early, but does anyone have any info on sales? Official or observational?

Phthisis

AniHawk said:

Funny that you say all that: on the bonus DVD the devs pretty much said that was the exact feel they were going for, complete with references to Vangelis, Blade Runner, and 70s/80s sci-fi.

Also, I started my renegade file (my so-called lesbian asshole game), and I can already tell it's going to be a load of perverse fun. Not only can you use intimidate to get some bonus gear from both the farmers and spaceport worker on Eden Prime, if you choose the renegade options for the crazy scientist in the shed, Shepard cold-clocks him straight up :lol

Rorschach

AniHawk said:
Huh. Can't believe I'm a Renegade. Maybe I shouldn't have told that one guy to shut up about his wife's corpse.
:lol

Well, I finished the game (as infiltrator) and I gotta say the main quest is incredibly short...

The Krogan Battlemasters are the worst, not only are they very hard to kill they also like to charge everybody and kill people in 2 melee attacks.
Biotics + soldiers ftw :p

Just use lift, singularity, or throw, then have your soldier shoot the hell out of them with burst and they're dead in no time flat. Master singularity = easy button :\ Your party members can take out entire groups by themselves if you just hit that or lift... And, after you get master skill with pistol (at least with my class), the thing is like a machine gun and it never overheats. :lol

I think I'll give it another go and give a stab at asshole mode.

Ouch. Hitting level 60 is going to take forever. It requires ~862k XP. Again, ouch.

Also, the "use character x for the majority of the game" achievements are lame. You have to do almost every quest in the game to unlock them.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Vyse The Legend said:
Ouch. Hitting level 60 is going to take forever. It requires ~862k XP. Again, ouch.

Also, the "use character x for the majority of the game" achievements are lame. You have to do almost every quest in the game to unlock them.

thats lame

elithrar

Woo-Fu said:
The Krogan Battlemasters are the worst, not only are they very hard to kill they also like to charge everybody and kill people in 2 melee attacks.

I save my Lift, Throw & Adrenaline Rush for the Battlemasters and Geth Juggernauts - when they rush you, target them with Throw or Lift and backpedal before they melee you, then have your squad focus-fire them. Takes a bit of practice but it's very effective.

ShinAmano

Ally Achievements suck...confirmed.

I just ran through hardcore with using only two characters the entire way and no achievements. It is lame that Bioware wants you to play through all the mundane exploration parts to unlock these.

Aurora

ShinAmano said:

I just ran through hardcore with using only two characters the entire way and no achievements. It is lame that Bioware wants you to play through all the mundane exploration parts to unlock these.
Wow that's terrible. :(
Such a shame considering all the other achievements were greatly thought up. Guess I'm not 1000ing Mass Effect.

ShinAmano

Aurora said:
Wow that's terrible. :(
Such a shame considering all the other achievements were greatly thought up. Guess I'm not 1000ing Mass Effect.
The other question I have is this...does using throw/lift/ai hacking ect that the other characters posses count towards the achievements if I select them manually? If not those are others that I can scratch off the list.

Gattsu25

Banned
chespace said:
Vangelis for life!

Firestarter is on HBO right now and the soundtrack is totally Mass Effect synths.

Also, go out and buy some early Front 242 and Cabaret Voltaire records.

Your fuckin' head will bob. And/or explode.
I like this post

p3tran

Banned
ShinAmano said:

I am sure it has been said before, the allied achievements are like the completionist achievement.
so you dont have to play 'all'.

edit: the answer to your next question is no

ShinAmano

p3tran said:
I am sure it has been said before, the allied achievements are like the completionist achievement.
so you dont have to play 'all'.

edit: the answer to your next question is no
Wow so the achievements pretty much suck in this game thanks Bioware!

bendak

I'm pretty sure the completionist achievements are just based on quests completed, not worlds explored. Though going to some unchartered worlds will trigger quests from the alliance.

I got my first completionist achievement well before I did the last 2 plot worlds. If you finish the game and don't get it you are clearly skipping a LOT of content.

Also getting to level 60 doesn't seem to be that bad. I am going on my second playthrough with this character and I am already almost level 54 and I haven't even gone to Noveria or Feros yet... I dinged level 50 before I finished the first playthrough. It's only possible if you do pretty much everything.

TheWolf

Banned
a lot of people have had problems with the ally achievements. i think they're broken too, cause i only got one of them.

i don't give a shit about achievements though.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
AniHawk said:

The music is definitely sci fi 80s sounding but it's not really doing it for me. Maybe it's because I never liked the sound back in the day originally. I prefer a more classical sounding score to my sci fi, more in the John Williams vein.

besada

Banned
Just finished the first time. Clocked in at 34 hours. Everything from the beginning of Virmire on was fucking brilliant.

Do you want to save the council? Muahahahahaha.

So much goodness in a single game. Today when I get home from work I start my evil adept playthrough.

Kabouter

chespace said:

I'd totally play that.

Gattsu25

Banned
TheWolf said:
a lot of people have had problems with the ally achievements. i think they're broken too, cause i only got one of them.

i don't give a shit about achievements though.
they give good bonuses

Top Bottom