• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

Framerate really took some steep dives on Vimire and Ilos; also, a wall kept disappearing on the elevator to, and while conversing with Vigil.

The final boss also glitched out on me: right before the mid-fight cutscene he fell through the wall sort of, I could still shoot his foot that was sticking out; when the fight resumed, he was nowhere to be found and I had to reload.

Dang, I knew I should've went with something other than Solider. They don't have electronics? so I can't open many of the locked objects. Kaiden is up there and can almost open average ones, but not yet.

How do you make squad members open stuff? I was on a mission with tali and I couldn't figure it out. Also Any sqaud member have hacking?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
How do you make squad members open stuff? I was on a mission with tali and I couldn't figure it out. Also Any sqaud member have hacking?

You have to put points into Electronics or Decryption, only one member of the team needs to have them to unlock stuff, unlocking harder stuff is tied to the powers in each talent. Electronics for instance unlocking Overlord lets you open Easy locks, then Advanced Overlord and Master Overlord lets you do average and then hard locks, same for Decryption.

They don't open stuff either, you do, they just need to be in the party. Garrus, Kaiden and Tali all have both they just need the required points to unlock the talents and then each level of the power.

Dave_6

I think I'm going to pick up the trilogy tomorrow. I've played through ME2 three times and ME3 once (all DLC too, both on the PS3) but never played more than a couple hours of ME1 (on 360 a few years ago). I know the controls are going to be a major adjustment to get used to; what class do you guys recommend me playing as the first time through?

I think I'm going to pick up the trilogy tomorrow. I've played through ME2 three times and ME3 once (all DLC too, both on the PS3) but never played more than a couple hours of ME1 (on 360 a few years ago). I know the controls are going to be a major adjustment to get used to; what class do you guys recommend me playing as the first time through?

The vanguard got me through my insanity play through of 1 pretty well, there's nothing that shotgun cant handle once it's been levelled up a bit.

It's that time of year where I just want to play through 1 and 2 again.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ok, Mass Effect 2 is definitely an upgrade over ME1 from a technical standpoint. No more auto-saves delaying the screen, shorter loading screens(sure seems like it anyways), much better lighting effects, etc.

I was not expecting the gameplay to change this drastically though.. damn. They overhauled the fuck out of this thing. So far so good though.

I don't like:

Not being able to switch my helmet on and off at my leisure. =(
Those stupid floating head icons on the screen. The fuck? That shit is a serious eye-sore. Put that in the corner where it belongs.
My scars are gone... they took away my war-stripes. Lame.
I already don't like Jacobs and Miranda. Jacobs body proportions are freaking weird.. and Miranda is already at Ashley-levels of unpleasantness.
I chose Engineer and am kind of regretting it. Reading the description it sounded like I was going to be using small mechs/droids, so I jumped, but it's just really lame orbs... =/

I do like:

Better shooting mechanics.
Enemies seem to have more weight and shooting them feels much more satisfying.
Game looks freakin' great.
The character transfer (lack of scars notwithstanding) is nice. I've never played a game with this type of feature before. Really cool.
The new suit looks boss. I think I pent 20 minutes customizing it just right.

Yeah i really like what they did with the lightning in ME2 and ME3, looks tons better than ME1. Don't worry, Jacob and Miranda are probably the worst ME2 squadmates, especially Jacob. The others you have yet to see will be more interesting. :)

Sorry for spoiling the
Wrex's brother
thing, thought it was rather minor spoiler, guess i should have thought twice.

At least, it will give you an excuse to replay the trilogy more than once, just to see the differences. Although you will see more differences in ME3 rather than in ME2 about what you decide to do with Wrex in ME1.

Patryn

Couple things to start with: All classes can use all the weapons, but to be able to hit the broadside of a barn with a weapon you need to be trained in its use. Also, the "unique" powers that the classes had in ME2 and ME3 (think Stealth, Charge, Drone, etc.) are not present in ME1.

Soldier is probably easiest as it's the "default" class, but it can be a little vanilla. However, it's trained to use all the weapons (including being the only class that can natively use the Assault Rifle) and the only class to wear heavy armor.

If you like hanging back and sniping things, but also want some powers go Infiltrator.

If you want to be in the thick of things, but also wants some powers go Vanguard.

These two classes are trained to use the pistol and one other weapon (sniper rifle for Infiltrator and Shotgun for Vanguard), and can only wear up to medium armor.

Then there are Adepts and Engineers, who more rely on powers than guns. Adept is more about dealing damage, while Engineers are more about incapacitating foes and controlling the battlefield. Adepts are better against organic enemies while Engineer is better against synthetics.

Sentinel is a hybrid of the Adept and Engineer, so you get some damage dealing powers and some incapacitation abilities, but lacks access to the top-tier abilities of both classes.

For any of those three classe (Engineer, Adept and Sentinel), expect to spend large amounts of time pausing the game to access the power wheel. They are only trained in the pistol, and can only wear light armor.

In D&D terms, Soldier = Warrior, Adept = Wizard and Engineer = Rogue. Infiltrator is a hybrid of Soldier and Engineer, and Vanguard is a hybrid of Soldier and Adept.

So this is a lot to say that the "easiest" classes to play are probably the Soldier, Vanguard or Infiltrator, as they play the most like a straight shooter.

So I spent awhile trying different classes out, etc.

I finally settled on a femshep Sentinel and am loving it. The only thing I hate is the fact I am restricted to Light Armor only. I think being able to get at least Medium armor would be great. I like my space marines to look a little... armored?

In ME2/3... are there still armor restrictions? Will I never be able to wear armored looking.. armor.. as a Sentinel?

Other than that, I am loving the class.

Bisnic

So I spent awhile trying different classes out, etc.

I finally settled on a femshep Sentinel and am loving it. The only thing I hate is the fact I am restricted to Light Armor only. I think being able to get at least Medium armor would be great. I like my space marines to look a little... armored?

In ME2/3... are there still armor restrictions? Will I never be able to wear armored looking.. armor.. as a Sentinel?

Other than that, I am loving the class.

There is no light/medium/heavy armor in ME2 and ME3. All the armors look like heavy armor. No more stupid sexy Shepard.

Foxix Von

There is no light/medium/heavy armor in ME2 and ME3. All the armors look like heavy armor. No more stupid sexy Shepard.

Well except for all the stupid sexy Shephard moments... And the fact that her and every other female character's bust size gradually increases over the course of the series.

Bisnic

a little bit better but still by no means great.

I thought I heard that the PS3 versions of ME2 and ME3 were the worst?

Foxix said:
Well except for all the stupid sexy Shephard moments... And the fact that her and every female character's bust size gradually increases over the course of the series.

imokwiththis.jpg

I just am not appealed by a rich emphasis on a Star Wars or Mass Effect, or the space/sci-fi setting. Not that it cant appeal to me, I'm just not actively invested in it.

I more than likely can still enjoy it simply by trying it, but I've never gotten the motivation to pick it up. I still have a laundry list of games I'd get to before Mass Effect, but it doesn't help with you guys raving about how it's the best of the generation. :/

Maybe one day

Patryn

I just am not appealed by a rich emphasis on a Star Wars or Mass Effect, or the space/sci-fi setting. Not that it cant appeal to me, I'm just not actively invested in it.

I more than likely can still enjoy it simply by trying it, but I've never gotten the motivation to pick it up. I still have a laundry list of games I'd get to before Mass Effect, but it doesn't help with you guys raving about how it's the best of the generation. :/

Maybe one day

Not every game is for every person. If you aren't interested in a space/sci-fi setting, I can almost guarantee that you will hate Mass Effect 1. It's my favorite game, but even I'd admit that the mechanics are almost all at least somewhat flawed. What makes it a gem is its setting and its characters.

Without that, you simply have a sub-part TPS.

Bisnic

Not every game is for every person. If you aren't interested in a space/sci-fi setting, I can almost guarantee that you will hate Mass Effect 1. It's my favorite game, but even I'd admit that the mechanics are almost all at least somewhat flawed. What makes it a gem is its setting and its characters.

Without that, you simply have a sub-part TPS.

Yeah, the only reason i like ME1 so much is because of the whole space/sci-fi setting, the gameplay itself isn't that great. If it was any other settings, i probably wouldn't replay it that often.

Couple things to start with: All classes can use all the weapons, but to be able to hit the broadside of a barn with a weapon you need to be trained in its use. Also, the "unique" powers that the classes had in ME2 and ME3 (think Stealth, Charge, Drone, etc.) are not present in ME1.

Soldier is probably easiest as it's the "default" class, but it can be a little vanilla. However, it's trained to use all the weapons (including being the only class that can natively use the Assault Rifle) and the only class to wear heavy armor.

If you like hanging back and sniping things, but also want some powers go Infiltrator.

If you want to be in the thick of things, but also wants some powers go Vanguard.

These two classes are trained to use the pistol and one other weapon (sniper rifle for Infiltrator and Shotgun for Vanguard), and can only wear up to medium armor.

Then there are Adepts and Engineers, who more rely on powers than guns. Adept is more about dealing damage, while Engineers are more about incapacitating foes and controlling the battlefield. Adepts are better against organic enemies while Engineer is better against synthetics.

Sentinel is a hybrid of the Adept and Engineer, so you get some damage dealing powers and some incapacitation abilities, but lacks access to the top-tier abilities of both classes.

For any of those three classe (Engineer, Adept and Sentinel), expect to spend large amounts of time pausing the game to access the power wheel. They are only trained in the pistol, and can only wear light armor.

In D&D terms, Soldier = Warrior, Adept = Wizard and Engineer = Rogue. Infiltrator is a hybrid of Soldier and Engineer, and Vanguard is a hybrid of Soldier and Adept.

So this is a lot to say that the "easiest" classes to play are probably the Soldier, Vanguard or Infiltrator, as they play the most like a straight shooter.

I could not have said it any better. I really dislike the Sentinel in Mass Effect, but Love it in the sequels.

Cornbread78

OK, really stupid question here....

I tried to D/L ME from PSN this weekend, but when I do a search for Mass Effect, it only brings up ME2 and ME3. Where do I find ME1?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
OK, really stupid question here....

I tried to D/L ME from PSN this weekend, but when I do a search for Mass Effect, it only brings up ME2 and ME3. Where do I find ME1?
North America PSN? It should be listed in search by now, but if you still can't find it go to the store and instead of selecting a tab just scroll right from the Welcome tab. The 2nd page should have a huge Shepard that will take you directly to the game page.

eot

Banned
Did they fix the bug where Liara can't use Overload if you give her Stasis (happens with a few other combinations as well)? Or was that just in the PC version?

Cornbread78

North America PSN? It should be listed in search by now, but if you still can't find it go to the store and instead of selecting a tab just scroll right from the Welcome tab. The 2nd page should have a huge Shepard that will take you directly to the game page.

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow night, when I did that before, it would just bring up the Trilogy page, but woudl not give me an option to select single games from it. Hopefully, it's all updated now.

Patryn

So as I am playing through ME1 (new to the series)...

I can't help but make this comparison.

Specters = Grey Wardens of Dragon Age?

Not really. Grey Wardens exist to combat a single threat, outside the authority of any government. They are supposed to operate as large groups, organized in much the same way as any army.

Spectres are simply special forces crossed with a spy, and ultimately have to answer to the Council. They are tasked with eliminating any threat to the Council's authority. They work alone and generally in the shadows.

So beyond the general "Chosen One" monomyth, there really isn't much similarity.

Not really. Grey Wardens exist to combat a single threat, outside the authority of any government. They are supposed to operate as large groups, organized in much the same way as any army.

Spectres are simply special forces crossed with a spy, and ultimately have to answer to the Council. They are tasked with eliminating any threat to the Council's authority. They work alone and generally in the shadows.

So beyond the general "Chosen One" monomyth, there really isn't much similarity.

Good points. :)

RPGCrazied

Been playing 15 hours, almost level 20 and I have yet to touch the story other than gaining Wrex. I wish the loading was faster, not very planet hopping friendly, lol.

CronoShot

Ugh, the
Benezia
fight is really bad. There's some sort of glitch that makes you shake whenever you move. It's practically impossible to line up a shot. Right now I'm hiding behind a pillar waiting for Unity to recharge because Liara is a dumbass.

Patryn

Ugh, the
Benezia
fight is really bad. There's some sort of glitch that makes you shake whenever you move. It's practically impossible to line up a shot. Right now I'm hiding behind a pillar waiting for Unity to recharge because Liara is a dumbass.

The secret to that fight:
Don't fight her. Seriously, she will kill herself. All you have to do is survive the waves of enemies. Get on the opposite side of her and try to take out her forces, and she'll eventually burn herself out.

Really the only hard part is the initial getting away from her, because I'll often get immediately stunned at the start of the fight. Survive that, then bolt immediately to your right.

Patryn

PS3 version does have a retail release but it's only obtainable if you purchase the trilogy, i just traded 2 and 3 in for money towards it

I believe the question was whether there was a retail release of ME1 for the PS3 outside the trilogy, as the poster indicated he didn't want to rebuy 2 and 3.

Ugh, the
Benezia

That fight was seriously buggy on the PC also. Getting ragdolled through the wall and into the void happened pretty damned often.

Gillian Seed said:
I could not have said it any better. I really dislike the Sentinel in Mass Effect, but Love it in the sequels.

Sentinel is so much better in the sequels because it's terrible in the original and Bioware buffed the crap out of it to compensate.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I remember reading that PS3 owners will be unable to import a Mass Effect save into Mass Effect 2 until a patch is released. I'm getting close to finishing ME1 (great game) and want to start up ME2 immediately. Any idea when this patch releases?

Patryn

I remember reading that PS3 owners will be unable to import a Mass Effect save into Mass Effect 2 until a patch is released. I'm getting close to finishing ME1 (great game) and want to start up ME2 immediately. Any idea when this patch releases?

I believe it's already been patched.

RPGCrazied

Does this game skip for anybody else? Not all the time, but sometimes a pause in the audio and the game actually freezes for a split second. No other game does this. Also, when ever I talk to anyone I can see their lips move but I get no words until a few seconds after. Any word on a patch for anything?

Melchiah

I just posted this on the Space: The Final Frontier thread, and I guess they fit here as well, as some of the concepts remind me of Mass Effect's Citadel. I wonder if they were an inspiration to Bioware?

http://settlement.arc.nasa.gov/70sArt/art.html
A couple of space colony summer studies were conducted at NASA Ames in the 1970s. Colonies housing about 10,000 people were designed. A number of artistic renderings of the concepts were made.

yS0eu.jpg

S1JQG.jpg

YJ5Om.jpg

9E0md.jpg
More pics in the link.

Melchiah

I'm doing the sidequests at the moment, and I was wondering whether Bring Down the Sky DLC should be played before or after completing the main story?

Micerider

I'm doing the sidequests at the moment, and I was wondering whether Bring Down the Sky DLC should be played before or after completing the main story?

Hmm, I'd say it's pretty much your choice there, nothing that impacts the main scenario for sure and nothing that brings any added value...it's as stand-alone as it could be without being completely severed from the main thing. Make just sure that you play it on your save that will be used for ME2 and ME3 (nothing big, but just nice little touch).

I'd play it before the end personnaly, for experience (much better than many silly side-missions) and some equipment.

It's a fair DLC, but certainly not as good as Lair of the Shadow Broker.

Effect

Just played that on the 360 version last night. Actually stumbled into it by accident as I forgot I had it downloaded and was just looking around a the other worlds before pushing on with the story. Was a pretty isolated story from what I could tell. I will say this after playing it. I do not like combat in the Mako. This ended up being dropped in ME2 and ME3 right?

I can say even after playing the demo for ME3 combat in ME1 is hard to get used to.Trying to push through it as fast I can though as I just want an import save for ME2. So dropped things down to Casual as I'm more interested in the story anyway. Starting to think I originally did this when I first played as well as I had issue with it then.

RPGCrazied

I did it really early. I only had Kaiden and Garrus.

Also, please tell me Mass Effect 2 has faster loading? I hate dying or messing up and having to wait 30 seconds or more for the game to load.

Melchiah

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering if the DLC mission would have some added dialogue, if I played it after the ending?

On a side note, many of the sidequests seem to repeat the same formula, and it makes completing them all somewhat a chore.

27 hours behind, across four evenings, and I haven't even done Feros & Virmire yet. =)

Patryn

I will love Bring Down the Sky forever if for no other reason than it has arguably one of the top three most difficult moral choices in the entire game.

PowderedToast

I did it really early. I only had Kaiden and Garrus.

Also, please tell me Mass Effect 2 has faster loading? I hate dying or messing up and having to wait 30 seconds or more for the game to load.

nope, it might even be longer in 2. moving around the normandy definitely is. haven't played 3 so don't know about that.

Effect

Anyone remember how much the side quest in ME1 carry over into the other games? Do they ever get referenced or is it only the converstations in the major plot points and the talks with crew members that really matter?

Top Bottom