• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Does the Asian version have the individual cases as well?

No idea, but going by the pics on playasia it seems to share the same depth of the US version so it's probably the foldout.

mkK4u.jpg
9wCfQ.jpg

EU for comparison:
jbewcpm14mJyJa.png

RPGCrazied

Played through Eden Prime. Technically it runs better than the 360 version. No tearing, and the texture loading seem faster, except when changing armor. Though a whole scene with Saron wasn't voiced, and I don't have subtitles on. I hate that type of glitch. Anyone else get that? I hope that isn't all through the game. Doesn't look like it uses any type of AA, but with your sharpness down and sit not so close its not really an issue. The textures do look better, or maybe thats just me.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Played through Eden Prime. Technically it runs better than the 360 version. No tearing, and the texture loading seem faster, except when changing armor. Though a whole scene with Saron wasn't voiced, and I don't have subtitles on. I hate that type of glitch. Anyone else get that? I hope that isn't all through the game. Doesn't look like it uses any type of AA, but with your sharpness down and sit not so close its not really an issue. The textures do look better, or maybe thats just me.

Mass Effect games and their voices, on the 360 version it seemed at random that they would cut out suddenly or models would jump around, I've had it happen on the PS3 version but less often.
I remember that bit in ME2 with Samara and Morinth, the voices would cut out at that part almost every time without fail.

But yea, ME1 on PS3 is 720p with no AA, also got the armour slow loading issue on 360 a lot but the general texture loading does seemed to be improved, but still happens with quick scene changes occasionally.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I never saw voices being mute in any PC versions of any Mass Effect games.

Man, the more i hear from you guys, the more buggy and unpolished the console versions sounds like. And the PC versions already got their share of bugs.

RPGCrazied

Mass Effect games and their voices, on the 360 version it seemed at random that they would cut out suddenly or models would jump around, I've had it happen on the PS3 version but less often.
I remember that bit in ME2 with Samara and Morinth, the voices would cut out at that part almost every time without fail.

But yea, ME1 on PS3 is 720p with no AA, also got the armour slow loading issue on 360 a lot but the general texture loading does seemed to be improved, but still happens with quick scene changes occasionally.

I guess its safe to say I should turn on subtitles? I really like them off, with them on it breaks the immersion for me. Oh well.

Also, if I went all renegade does your appearance change? Like darkening of the skin or something?

Got very far ahead in noveria only to be one shot killed and lose about an hour and half of progress... FU lack of autosave.

But Now I learned to save if my signal is jammed, because you can't save during battle. I chose an engineer Shepard, Will he be able to carry heavy armor at a higher level? Cause right now he's weak as hell.

How long is this game? I very much love the story and the music. Look forward to more.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Also, if I went all renegade does your appearance change? Like darkening of the skin or something?

Not 100%, but I believe morality doesn't alter your character visually in ME. ME2 is the one that introduced the dumb face scars if you went evil.

Patryn

Got very far ahead in noveria only to be one shot killed and lose about an hour and half of progress... FU lack of autosave.

But Now I learned to save if my signal is jammed, because you can't save during battle. I chose an engineer Shepard, Will he be able to carry heavy armor at a higher level? Cause right now he's weak as hell.

How long is this game? I very much love the story and the music. Look forward to more.

Engineers can only wear light armor. But Electronics will add quite a bit to your base shields, so I'd suggest investing in that. You should also keep an eye out for laser sights, because that indicates a sniper, who can generally one- to two-shot you.

Your signal only gets jammed in the presence of more difficult enemies. You can avoid the jamming by equipping Combat Scanner mods on your guns, though.

Game is anywhere between 20-50 hours, depending on what you do, how much you explore, how much you read, etc, etc.

JerkShep

Is Insanity much more difficult than Hardcore? Hardcore is not that hard, I had some problems in the beginning but now with my level 30 Adept I'm a biotic powers spamming monster.

Kyoufu

Is Insanity much more difficult than Hardcore? Hardcore is not that hard, I had some problems in the beginning but now with my level 30 Adept I'm a biotic powers spamming monster.

Insanity just increases their shields and stuff. It's really not that much harder. Adept will eat everything.

Donos

Insanity in ME1 and ME2 is not really hard for the highest difficult the games have. There are 2-3 spots in both games which get hairy but everything else is rather a "medium". Played only Soldier and Infiltrator. With Infiltrator both games are pretty easy.

ME1 insanity is tedium, ME2/3 insanity is hard but not a super-big step up from Hardcore.

PowderedToast

i know kaiden gets bagged on for being beige but i really like him

aughug i know i will inevitably end up going through me2 again for the umpteenth time just so i can carry my femshep through to me3

i hope the romance resolution is worth it!!

Tagg9

i know kaiden gets bagged on for being beige but i really like him

aughug i know i will inevitably end up going through me2 again for the umpteenth time just so i can carry my femshep through to me3

i hope the romance resolution is worth it!!

Kaiden is a total schmuck. But at the same time he's less annoying than Ashley.

RPGCrazied

Whoa, even the cidatel runs better than 360 version. It can get choppy sometimes, but not as much, and still loving the vsync. :) And seriously most of the textures do look better. Though garrus's face is still bad as I remember. But ugh at the saving and loading. That is slower.

fernoca

Finally picked my copy. (Love the packaging! <3!)
Tried to recreate my ME3 character, didn't liked how he looked; so went bak to the default Shepard.

Started the first game, and it definetely runs better than (what I remenber of) the original/360 version. No "textures loading" stuff, looks clean and more stable.

Esura

Banned
Wow, my ME1 male Shepard sucks. Looks like Montel Williams. :( Guess I gotta do a FemShep.

Playing this game making me appreciate ME2 all the more.

Bittercup

I guess its safe to say I should turn on subtitles? I really like them off, with them on it breaks the immersion for me. Oh well.
I missed only one dialogue at the beginning from one of the scientists in the building. Never had audio-problems since in ~20h play time so far.
But audio problems are very inconsistent. Some have it, others don't. At least that was the case with ME2 and 3.
If you have the impression there are more for you better play with subtitles. If it's just a few It shouldn't be necessary.

How's the snow planet framerate?
Pretty good. No noticeable difference to other areas.

JerkShep

Insanity in ME1 and ME2 is not really hard for the highest difficult the games have. There are 2-3 spots in both games which get hairy but everything else is rather a "medium". Played only Soldier and Infiltrator. With Infiltrator both games are pretty easy.

Ok good, I've already finished ME2 and 3 at Insanity, I know what you're saying. I'm probably going to try an Insanity run with ME1 as well, to unlock some of the last achievements I'm missing at least.

Adept is really fun once you unlock the specialization (Bastion here) and all the main powers (Singularity is glorious). I think this is the only game in the series where crowd control is actually important

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Just finished the game. Really, really enjoyed it. Very compelling story telling, beautiful art direction, I was engaged from start to finish. Can't wait to pop in ME2 (which I will be doing after I eat).

I do have gripes though...90% of the most frustrating being technical issues. The slow down and framerate drops are ridiculous at times. Utterly ridiculous. They need to patch that shit up with the quickness. I also encountered moments when characters would disappear from the screen while you were talking. The VA and music would also pop in and out at times. Really annoying stuff.

Other gripes:

Loading times are fucking brutal.
Purchasing equipment is pretty much useless (You can't buy anything worth a fuck at the beginning, and by the end you don't even need the overpriced shit you were once salivating over...)
I hate John Shepherds VA. He sounds like an automated computer (are we sure he isn't a Reaper sleeper agent? Well I'm not taking that risk). The female VA was noticeably better, and I went with her for that very reason. I regret nothing.
I didn't want to kill
Wreks
but they made me. I was really pissed about that because It totally came out of left field. I liked the dude and he was my most reliable character at the time. I can't fucking stand Ashley by the way.. ugh.
The Mako was a bitch to control.
The gameplay was pretty standard stuff. Not really a bad thing, it was competent enough, but it wasn't anything to write home about. I couldn't put this game down because of the compelling story and the beautiful worlds Bioware created. Not so much for the gameplay. Which, again, wasn't bad.

None of this stuff broke the game for me by the way. I really did enjoy my self. I couldn't put this shit down for a week!

I have become really attached to my Fem-Shep too. She's a motherfuckin' boss. We're all about that renegade life when we need to be. Sometimes people need their shit slapped.

Foxix Von

Just finished the game. Really, really enjoyed it. Very compelling story telling, beautiful art direction, I was engaged from start to finish. Can't wait to pop in ME2 (which I will be doing after I eat).

I do have gripes though...90% of the most frustrating being technical issues. The slow down and framerate drops are ridiculous at times. Utterly ridiculous. They need to patch that shit up with the quickness. I also encountered moments when characters would disappear from the screen while you were talking. The VA and music would also pop in and out at times. Really annoying stuff.

Other gripes:

Purchasing equipment is pretty much useless (You can't buy anything worth a fuck at the beginning, and by the end you don't even need the overpriced shit you were once salivating over...)
I hate John Shepherds VA. He sounds like an automated computer (are we sure he isn't a Reaper sleeper agent? Well I'm not taking that risk). The female VA was noticeably better, and I went with her for that very reason. I regret nothing.
I didn't want to kill
Wreks
but they made me. I was really pissed about that because It totally came out of left field. I liked the dude and he was my most reliable character at the time. I can't fucking stand Ashley by the way.. ugh.
The gameplay was pretty standard stuff. Not really a bad thing, it was competent enough, but it wasn't anything to write home about. I couldn't put this game down because of the compelling story and the beautiful worlds Bioware created. Not so much for the gameplay. Which, again, wasn't bad.

None of this stuff broke the game for me by the way. I really did enjoy my self. I couldn't put this shit down for a week!

I have become really attached to my Fem-Shep too. She's a motherfuckin' boss. We're all about that renegade life when we need to be. Sometimes people need their shit slapped.

Good news! Literally everything you don't like about ME1 is stripped out of ME2. :D

Well except for male shep's voice acting, that still sucks and the loading times are worse in ME2 =/

I think this a one of the rare games that benefits from the SSD drive install on PS3. Playing the PSN version on my SSD has giving me actually some good load times. Elevators scenes also don't bother me. They've been pretty quick outside of the citadel.

I finally beat noveria's(snow level) end boss. I was foolish for a couple attempts at trying to get the mother of laira or whatever before taking out her troops, not realizing after all her troops are down a cut scene and save happens.

Off to pick up my blue girlfriend... Ashleys a real xenophobe, I don't like her. Tali is a pretty cute character, with lots of youth in her voice acting. I like Garrus Vakarian and Wrex as well, I'm still at the very beginning of the game, spent some dough on getting my engineer Shepard some good light armor.

Now I feel more prepped with my Alien Squad. My Sheppard's goal is to hit it will all the aliens. And be as peaceful as possible, representing earth as an open minded helpful race.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Other gripes:

I didn't want to kill
Wreks

You know you're not forced to
kill Wrex
right?

Enjoy meeting
his stupid, bent on revenge, brother in ME2/ME3
since you killed him. :p

Other gripes:

*I didn't want to kill
Wreks

ouch :(

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
You know you're not forced to kill Wrex right?

Enjoy meeting his stupid, bent on revenge, brother in ME2/ME3 since you killed him. :p
Yeah.. thanks for the spoiler....

But anyways, I tried talking him down multiple times. I loaded my save on three separate occasions and chose every reasonable option I could think of.. and to no fucking avail. If there was a way to do it I couldn't figure it out after my third load and I just said fuck it. I seriously felt cheated. =/

PS3 players are new to the game! Please be weary of Spoilers and use spoiler tags on significant details like character death, and events on ME:2-3

But anyways, I tried talking him down multiple times. I loaded my save on three separate occasions and chose every reasonable option I could think of.. and to no fucking avail. If there was a way to do it I couldn't figure it out after my third load and I just said fuck it. I seriously felt cheated. =/

iirc it was something that built up over time so at that point you didn't have enough to change the outcome

Patryn

There are two ways to defuse that situation:

If your charm or intimidate is high enough, you can use that option to talk him down

If you keep talking to Wrex as you do missions, he will eventually tell you about his family's armor. If you complete that quest, he will always stand down regardless of your charm or intimidate score. You can also accidentally complete this quest simply by exploring the Uncharted worlds and stumbling upon the armor and then presenting it to Wrex without him mentioning it beforehand.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
iirc it was something that built up over time so at that point you didn't have enough to change the outcome
Well that's horse-shit. How the hell was I supposed to know I should coddle him before
someone puts a bullet in his back??

It wasn't even like the writing was on the wall or anything either. He seemed like a hard-ass but I never got the sense he would draw his pistol on me if I didn't pat him on the back every five seconds.

Oh well, I've already moved on. Dudes just a memory now. Hopefully I get some better squad mates in ME2. I'm really sick of Ashley's bullshit, but she's a competent warrior so I felt the need to keep her around. *shrug*

There are two ways to defuse that situation:

If your charm or intimidate is high enough, you can use that option to talk him down

If you keep talking to Wrex as you do missions, he will eventually tell you about his family's armor. If you complete that quest, he will always stand down regardless of your charm or intimidate score. You can also accidentally complete this quest simply by exploring the Uncharted worlds and stumbling upon the armor and then presenting it to Wrex without him mentioning it beforehand.
Yeah.. I didn't meet ANY of those requirements. Damn.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Anyone know when I can access all of my DLC for ME2? So far I can only download the Cerberus pack but none of the other DLC that is mentioned in the manual. Does it all come grouped with the Cerberus pack or what?

SkylineRKR

ME1 is a good but flawed game. I hate the driving sections and there are quite a lot. The gameplay, helper AI and balance is deffo worse. Sometimes you can't manual save, and the auto save is far and few in between, ie unreliable. Also because I'm afraid of glitches (and I had some). The recycle of certain map layouts is pretty ridiculous, it seems like every compound in the game is the exact same, lol.

Load times, I don't know if they're worse than 2 and 3... I hate the load times in any ME on Ps3. Thing is that in ME1 you need to walk to the normandy to board it, you need to take the lift to get off the Citadel... Its just slower progression in general.

Individual equipment managing is great, but the AI acts like a fucking retard anyway. They are near useless outside of Biotics unless I'm missing something. So ME1 to me is more epic feeling, more sense of freedom, better storyline... but less fun to play.

Anyone know when I can access all of my DLC for ME2? So far I can only download the Cerberus pack but none of the other DLC that is mentioned in the manual. Does it all come grouped with the Cerberus pack or what?

Its integrated. Which also goes for Bring down the Sky on ME1 Ps3.

omonimo

Banned
how is MAss Effect 1. is it running on a new engine? does it run better than the 360 version

No, same engine, probably it run better of 360 from what I heard, but honestly is not that smooth, to the opposite, especially in the Citadel. More annoying is the continue streaming loading, the screen freeze for a 1 second a lot of times & during the battle lag are pretty evident to me. I'm not a great estimator of this porting & on mass effect on ps3 in general.

Massa

Possible series spoiler.

"This place is a little too perfect. Like they're hiding something."

Oh, you've no idea Ashley.

oldmario

For someone thats played all 3 titles on 360 or pc, did they add any different character customisation in 2 and 3? i can't seem to re-create the femshep that i'm using in 3

breakfuss

On my first ruthrough, I went the paragon/"how'd I answer in real life" route. This time, I want to experiment with renegade dialogue. Will this affect loyalty?

No, same engine, probably it run better of 360 from what I heard, but honestly is not that smooth, to the opposite, especially in the Citadel. More annoying is the continue streaming loading, the screen freeze for a 1 second a lot of times & during the battle lag are pretty evident to me. I'm not a great estimator of this porting & on mass effect on ps3 in general.

no freezing except during saving. game runs fantastic, especially considering this was published by microsoft as an exclusive.

RPGCrazied

Dang, I knew I should've went with something other than Solider. They don't have electronics? so I can't open many of the locked objects. Kaiden is up there and can almost open average ones, but not yet.

Patryn

For someone thats played all 3 titles on 360 or pc, did they add any different character customisation in 2 and 3? i can't seem to re-create the femshep that i'm using in 3

No. In fact, they took out customization (the scars).

Dang, I knew I should've went with something other than Solider. They don't have electronics? so I can't open many of the locked objects. Kaiden is up there and can almost open average ones, but not yet.

Garrus and Tali also get electronics.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Ok, Mass Effect 2 is definitely an upgrade over ME1 from a technical standpoint. No more auto-saves delaying the screen, shorter loading screens(sure seems like it anyways), much better lighting effects, etc.

I was not expecting the gameplay to change this drastically though.. damn. They overhauled the fuck out of this thing. So far so good though.

I don't like:

Not being able to switch my helmet on and off at my leisure. =(
Those stupid floating head icons on the screen. The fuck? That shit is a serious eye-sore. Put that in the corner where it belongs.
My scars are gone... they took away my war-stripes. Lame.
I already don't like Jacobs and Miranda. Jacobs body proportions are freaking weird.. and Miranda is already at Ashley-levels of unpleasantness.
I chose Engineer and am kind of regretting it. Reading the description it sounded like I was going to be using small mechs/droids, so I jumped, but it's just really lame orbs... =/

I do like:

Better shooting mechanics.
Enemies seem to have more weight and shooting them feels much more satisfying.
Game looks freakin' great.
The character transfer (lack of scars notwithstanding) is nice. I've never played a game with this type of feature before. Really cool.
The new suit looks boss. I think I pent 20 minutes customizing it just right.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Possible series spoiler.

"This place is a little too perfect. Like they're hiding something."

Oh, you've no idea Ashley.

Lol that's a very good catch.
The Citadel has always had a mysterious way to it, even after it's supposed role is revealed at the end of ME1. Turns out it has more than one capabilities ..

Top Bottom