• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

PowderedToast

the end of this game has such a forward momentum, it's really awesome. much better than in 2, which i always thought felt somewhat contrived
(probably because the plot has fuck all to do with anything)

masterkajo

the end of this game has such a forward momentum, it's really awesome. much better than in 2, which i always thought felt somewhat contrived
(probably because the plot has fuck all to do with anything)

That is true. The ending of Mass Effect is really really well done. Though I have to admit for me it was also partly because I knew this was just the beginning and there were 2 more games to come where all my decisions I just made will matter...

Mako combat is simply fucking infuriating. Can anyone give me tips on this? Every enemy encounter takes me like 30 mins because I have to shoot, back away to let the Mako regen health, rinse, repeat.

Who thought this garbage was a good idea?

The Mako's cannon is pretty damn lethal. It clears out huge areas of smaller enemies in a single shot and kills large enemies in just a few shots except thresher maws, who take a beating and can kill you quickly. To fight them just never stop moving and fire whenever they are above ground. Use your jump thrusters to hop over slow moving projectiles.

masterkajo

Mako combat is simply fucking infuriating. Can anyone give me tips on this? Every enemy encounter takes me like 30 mins because I have to shoot, back away to let the Mako regen health, rinse, repeat.

Who thought this garbage was a good idea?

Mako combat was a bit boring, true. But once you figure out to stay far away and kill the targets while using the jump thrusters to jump over rockets you are fine. Against Thresher Maws I suggest finding that sweet spot where he doesn't burrow anymore but only shoots his projectile at you which you can easily dodge by jumping over it. Otherwise the fights can take quite some time and can insta kill you when he spawns directly underneath you.

Z3M0G

How did they handle your save from this one being carried over into ME2? Did ME2 get a recent patch to add the support? Does it automatically skip the comic book if you do?

You don't need to buy the trilogy version for ME2 to take your ME1 save, do you? What if you already own ME2 and ME3 on PS3?

Mako combat was a bit boring, true. But once you figure out to stay far away and kill the targets while using the jump thrusters to jump over rockets you are fine. Against Thresher Maws I suggest finding that sweet spot where he doesn't burrow anymore but only shoots his projectile at you which you can easily dodge by jumping over it. Otherwise the fights can take quite some time and can insta kill you when he spawns directly underneath you.

There are certain spots where maws can't come up from burrowing and kill you, regardless of whether they burrow back down. Also, hot tip for the ocd like me. You get more xp for killing enemies on foot than in the mako; knock those maws and colossi down to a sliver of health, then jump out and take that finishing shot on foot!

PowderedToast

How did they handle your save from this one being carried over into ME2? Did ME2 get a recent patch to add the support? Does it automatically skip the comic book if you do?

You don't need to buy the trilogy version for ME2 to take your ME1 save, do you? What if you already own ME2 and ME3 on PS3?

ME2 has a patch :)

Been busy the last few days so I have only been able to jump in and out for a few minutes at a time so I have been doing side stuff.

Like I said before I really like the controls on console over PC but I would just like to add to that, that the Mako still sucks on whatever platform your playing on.

I guess on PC you can play the sucky controlling suckness at 10,000p and at 500 FPS but I dont think that would fix it.

RPGCrazied

I like the mako idea, but its just doesn't handle right. Its way to sensitive, you move the wrong way and your mako goes all over the place. Doesn't help matters when most planets are rocky as fuck.

Melchiah

I like the mako idea, but its just doesn't handle right. Its way to sensitive, you move the wrong way and your mako goes all over the place. Doesn't help matters when most planets are rocky as fuck.

And going reverse while turning is absolutely hopeless.

Patryn

I stopped killing things in the Mako after my second playthrough. I prefer getting 100 percent of the EXP as opposed to (I believe) 33 percent. I'd simply soften up tougher targets then hop out and kill things on foot.

I actually enjoy the main Mako missions. The terrain of the uncharted planets is what I always had a problem with. Keep the terrain flat and the encounters in a path and it plays fine. I used to get out to maximize Xp gain but that makes for an awkward gameplay disconnect from what a reasonable person would do.

YagizY

The problem I have is that when I step out of the Mako I end up getting one shot killed by a rocket. I seriously wonder who thought the Mako combat bits would be "fun." The exploration parts on the Mako are awesome but the problem that happens is that as soon as you encounter an enemy that exploration part goes to shit. I know I'm just complaining about something that everyone knew in 2007 but jeez.

Also, is it true that the game scales to your level? Meaning their is no real advantage gained in grinding either than gaining new abilities.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I never saw a problem with Mako combat... just shoot stuff with your machine gun or canon, while strafing to avoid rockets, and when the stronger enemies(turrets, Geth Colossus) only have 5% health left, finish them off on foot for a lot more XP.

But then again, i don't play ME1 with the highest difficulty, so maybe that's why it's not frustrating.

RPGCrazied

Anyone having audio issues in the 2nd game? Mostly during cinematics. Looks like a syncing issue. Like someone will fire a gun, but won't hear the sound for it until later. Looks odd.

peull

I played 2 & 3 before. I just started mass 1 and damn not sure i can play the way i played the other two.

I was an infiltrator sniping everything, slowing down time when aiming... So far i can't see a way to do that in 1, looking at the skill 'trees'...

Am i right in that i cant play like this in the first game?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I played 2 & 3 before. I just started mass 1 and damn not sure i can play the way i played the other two.

I was an infiltrator sniping everything, slowing down time when aiming... So far i can't see a way to do that in 1, looking at the skill 'trees'...

Am i right in that i cant play like this in the first game?
Correct. IIRC, a few classes (I wanna say Infiltrators and Engineers) got buffed in ME2 cause they sucked so much in ME.

Melchiah

40 hours behind. Just did Feros, which I had before done on 360, and it's so far my favorite mission. Now I can finally get to the parts I haven't played before. I also got the Rich and Warp & Lift Mastery trophies already, eventhough someone here said the latter might not be possible to get on one playthrough. Next week Bring Down the Sky & Virmire. =)

There's an annoying bug, and I'm curious whether anyone else with the digital version has witnessed it. Three times after major missions, when I go back to Normandy, the game starts to stutter and eventually locks down during loading, when I move inside the ship. Every time I've had to boot up the system.
I also witnessed another bug yesterday during the Feros mission. Just after I descended to the lower lewels at the
ExoGeni headquarters
, the short cutscene was all blank, but the audio still played, and the options in the following conversation were invisible. Had to boot up the game. WTF Bioware?

RPGCrazied

Sheesh. Mass Effect 3 has over $35 in DLC. I want from ashes, but I heard that should've been free cause it was already on the disc somewhat. Don't know if I want to pay $10 for it.

Alex

Thinkin' about buying this trilogy on PS3, since Bioware can't be assed to patch controller support into the PC game. A quick question, does ME2 have that intro comic still where you can pick the choices from ME1?

Bittercup

Sheesh. Mass Effect 3 has over $35 in DLC. I want from ashes, but I heard that should've been free cause it was already on the disc somewhat. Don't know if I want to pay $10 for it.
The from ashes-DLC is only partially on the disc. The DLC is a story mission and the new team mate and only the files from the team mate (I think model, audio etc but not the mission itself) is on the disc.
I agree, that the DLC should be free. Not necessarily because some files are on the disc, but because the team mate is a big deal.

Thinkin' about buying this trilogy on PS3, since Bioware can't be assed to patch controller support into the PC game. A quick question, does ME2 have that intro comic still where you can pick the choices from ME1?
Yes, the comic is still there but only if you decide to play ME2 without importing a save from ME1. With save import it skips the comic.

Donos

I never saw a problem with Mako combat... just shoot stuff with your machine gun or canon, while strafing to avoid rockets, and when the stronger enemies(turrets, Geth Colossus) only have 5% health left, finish them off on foot for a lot more XP.

But then again, i don't play ME1 with the highest difficulty, so maybe that's why it's not frustrating.
Strange, same for me. Mako was boring after a while but never really hard. Shoot every thingJwith canon from far away. Jumping over rocks was the best part. Played on hardest difficult on PC (insanity).

Patryn

I hear the character is more important in 3's overall story, not like zheed was in ME 2.

Not getting From Ashes is insane. He's probably the most important squadmate in the game, honestly.

It really was terrible that Bioware made him be Collector's Edition DLC.

RPGCrazied

Not getting From Ashes is insane. He's probably the most important squadmate in the game, honestly.

It really was terrible that Bioware made him be Collector's Edition DLC.

I probably will. I don't want to start 3 now without it. Finding out
its a Prothean
makes it kinda mandatory? Considering they are teased in 2 games, don't know if you see them in game in 3, I'll laugh if you don't in 3 and that squad mate is it. Let me guess, he fleshs out the lore for that?

I probably will. I don't want to start 3 now without it. Finding out
its a Prothean
makes it kinda mandatory? Considering they are teased in 2 games, don't know if you see them in game in 3, I'll laugh if you don't in 3 and that squad mate is it. Let me guess, he fleshs out the lore for that?

Absolutely. I spoke to him more than any other crew member during my play through. Not having him in the vanilla game even though he was ready day 1 is shameful. He's on a completely different level than Zaeed or Kasumi.

RPGCrazied

Absolutely. I spoke to him more than any other crew member during my play through. Not having him in the vanilla game even though he was ready day 1 is shameful. He's on a completely different level than Zaeed or Kasumi.

Dang. I'd get it now, but I just spent $60 on the set, and guess I'll just have to wait. I'm guessing it'll never be free? lol

Bisnic

From the Ashes is only free if you buy the Wii U version from what I know.

But yeah, you better get that DLC, he's a very interesting character, and it does sucks that Bioware didn't include him in the original game. =/ If a character had to be DLC, it should have been Vega.

Just ask 10$ for christmas if it piss you off to pay extra money. :p

Dave_6

Well I decided to buy ME1 off the PSN instead of trading in 2 and 3 for the set. Began playing it yesterday and since I only have experience with 2 and 3, I decided to play it on Casual as a soldier. (due to combat, etc being more cumbersome) I spent ~3 hours on the Citadel messing around after finishing Eden Prime and getting Wrex, Garrus, Tali, doing side quests. I decided my first mission would be to go find/rescue Liara and now I know why I never got any farther on the 360 version years ago. Spend all that time on the Mako and finally get to the part where you have to go on foot and up to where the Geth Collosus drops down. My squad won't get behind cover and are dead within a minute, I take out most of the enemies myself and then die after being shot ONCE (again, I'm on playing on Casual) by the Collosus. :/ It then starts me over at the very beginning of the fucking level! WTF.

Should I have done a different mission before this one? I think I'm just going to start over and try another class and to recreate my ME2/3 femshep (didn't know I couldn't input a code in this one). Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh....

Dany

Banned
He is as integrated like any other squadmate in this game but the fact he is a protean means any moment he speaks out is pure gold.

masterkajo

Well I decided to buy ME1 off the PSN instead of trading in 2 and 3 for the set. Began playing it yesterday and since I only have experience with 2 and 3, I decided to play it on Casual as a soldier. (due to combat, etc being more cumbersome) I spent ~3 hours on the Citadel messing around after finishing Eden Prime and getting Wrex, Garrus, Tali, doing side quests. I decided my first mission would be to go find/rescue Liara and now I know why I never got any farther on the 360 version years ago. Spend all that time on the Mako and finally get to the part where you have to go on foot and up to where the Geth Collosus drops down. My squad won't get behind cover and are dead within a minute, I take out most of the enemies myself and then die after being shot ONCE (again, I'm on playing on Casual) by the Collosus. :/ It then starts me over at the very beginning of the fucking level! WTF.

Should I have done a different mission before this one? I think I'm just going to start over and try another class and to recreate my ME2/3 femshep (didn't know I couldn't input a code in this one). Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh....

Yeah ME1 hat very bad auto saves. Save before this section and try to tell your squad to take cover. Remain in cover yourself and try to get all the Geth snipers that hop around. Maybe use a lot of "pauses". After all small enemies are down just focus on the Colossus while staying in cover whenever he shoots.
This part can be a bit though if you go there first but the important part is really to not get hit by the Colossus. Then it shouldn't be too hard.

Dave_6

I'm going to turn it back on in a minute and give it another go before I start over. I think the farthest I ever got on the 360 version was the battle against the Krogan at the end of this level and it wasn't the slightest bit of fun.

Bittercup

No it's ok to do the mission early. ME1 has just some very harsh difficulty spikes and this battle is one of them.
The auto-save system is not very helpful, better save often manually. You can save right before the Collosus-battle.
And putting some points in the Specre-Skills to get Unity to revive your team mates might be good if you haven't already. Plus Crowd control is very powerful in this game (especially Skills like Singularity or Lift)
If you need an converter for your ME2/3 Shepard: http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?show=tutorials&tutorial=me2tome1

I'm going to turn it back on in a minute and give it another go before I start over. I think the farthest I ever got on the 360 version was the battle against the Krogan at the end of this level and it wasn't the slightest bit of fun.

Like a lot of RPGs, you're the most vulnerable in the beginning. As you level up, it'll be easier, I've never played as a soldier because powers are so useful, especially in ME 1 but you can utilize your squad mates powers. Also, you'll have to micromanage your squad members a bit if you don't want them to die immediately. You can order squad members behind cover in the console versions right?

Dave_6

No it's ok to do the mission early. ME1 has just some very harsh difficulty spikes and this battle is one of them.
The auto-save system is not very helpful, better save often manually. You can save right before the Collosus-battle.
And putting some points in the Specre-Skills to get Unity to revive your team mates might be good if you haven't already. Plus Crowd control is very powerful in this game (especially Skills like Singularity or Lift)
If you need an converter for your ME2/3 Shepard: http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?show=tutorials&tutorial=me2tome1

I should have picked another class to begin with besides Soldier but I figured it would be the easiest since I'm pretty much an ME1 virgin. I'll be sure to save this time right before that part.

Which class uses Lift? Adept? I may try that on my 2nd playthrough if I ever get there lol. I know I need to learn this game just like I did with ME2 the first couple of times through.

Like a lot of RPGs, you're the most vulnerable in the beginning. As you level up, it'll be easier, I've never played as a soldier because powers are so useful, especially in ME 1 but you can utilize your squad mates powers. Also, you'll have to micromanage your squad members a bit if you don't want them to die immediately. You can order squad members behind cover in the console versions right?

You can order them to go behind cover but they either don't get completely behind it or almost seem to ignore it sometimes.

Bisnic

The only thing you have to be careful with the Colossus is their big blue orbs. Its slow enough that you can see it coming, so just hide behind cover when you see its about to do it.

Bittercup

I should have picked another class to begin with besides Soldier but I figured it would be the easiest since I'm pretty much an ME1 virgin. I'll be sure to save this time right before that part.

Which class uses Lift? Adept? I may try that on my 2nd playthrough if I ever get there lol. I know I need to learn this game just like I did with ME2 the first couple of times through.
Soldier is a fine class as well :)

Adept has Lift and Singularity, Vanguard and Sentinel have Lift.
And from your squad mates, Liara and Kaiden have either or both skills as well, so you don't necessarily need those skills on your Shepard. (not that you need them to beat the game :D they just make it easier)

Dave_6

Ok I've finished that mission; wasn't as bad as I was expecting, probably cause I'm playing on casual. Should I do Feros or Noveria next, or does it really matter which one I do first?

A good thing to remember in ME1 (and 2) is that you can stand right behind a corner with your reticule over a target and still shoot them. So while they're shooting the wall in front of you, you're slowly taking down their life. It's the easiest way to take down the Colossi, cause if you find a decent spot, you can just stand in the one place and continuously shoot them.

I just platinumed the game a few hours ago. Doing almost all the side missions 3 times was pretty brutal.

Dave_6

Noveria is harder than Feros so I'd do it last.

Ok will do.

A good thing to remember in ME1 (and 2) is that you can stand right behind a corner with your reticule over a target and still shoot them. So while they're shooting the wall in front of you, you're slowly taking down their life. It's the easiest way to take down the Colossi, cause if you find a decent spot, you can just stand in the one place and continuously shoot them.

I just platinumed the game a few hours ago. Doing almost all the side missions 3 times was pretty brutal.

I was looking over the trophy list yesterday and if you platinum'd this game, my congrats to you! I've nearly platinum'd both ME2 and 3 but this one looks like it will be a lot of work (more like time) if I want to get it done.

I just hit a nasty bug. I forget the exact name of the planet, its like Nephmos, after I exited a mine the framerate seemed like it was under 10. I sure hope when I load up its fixed. I'm nearing the end I think with 30 hours.
Rachni and Styx Theta right?

This glitch exists on the 360 as well. The chugging makes it difficult to load and save, but when done should clear it right up. I'm still not sure what causes it. Framerate drops into a sustained single digits and continues if you don't reload though.

RPGCrazied

Rachni and Styx Theta right?

This glitch exists on the 360 as well. The chugging makes it difficult to load and save, but when done should clear it right up. I'm still not sure what causes it. Framerate drops into a sustained single digits and continues if you don't reload though.

Yeah. Anyway. I'm halfway through the character sidequests to make them all loyal in ME 2. My eyes are glowing red, I'm guessing cause I'm playing a bad guy. I'm over halfway into renegade. I guess I'm going to get the med bay to get rid of it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I want the trilogy on PS3 so much. I've been trying to wait until after the holidays to get it, but I won't be able to. I almos stopped on the way home tonight to get it. I would have if it weren't raining. I'll probably get it tomorrow and forego sleep for a few days. ME1 is what I really want to play right now.

Top Bottom