• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering if the DLC mission would have some added dialogue, if I played it after the ending?

On a side note, many of the sidequests seem to repeat the same formula, and it makes completing them all somewhat a chore.

27 hours behind, across four evenings, and I haven't even done Feros & Virmire yet. =)

You can't play after the ending in ME1, so there's no added dialogue.

Micerider

Anyone remember how much the side quest in ME1 carry over into the other games? Do they ever get referenced or is it only the converstations in the major plot points and the talks with crew members that really matter?

A few of them do. There is the one about that Artificial Intelligence incident on the Moon for instance an other about -I don't know which officer anymore- as well. I wouldn't have an exhaustive list but the Moon incident is quite interesting to have in your save I'd say (if only for the understanding it would bring for future events).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I did it really early. I only had Kaiden and Garrus.

Also, please tell me Mass Effect 2 has faster loading? I hate dying or messing up and having to wait 30 seconds or more for the game to load.

I hate to break it to you, but ME2 has the worst loading times of the series. Although i don't know if ME1 PS3 has it worst.

Just put an easier difficulty if you die too much. Will save you a lot of loadings. :p

And yeah, you cannot continue the game(DLC, or just explorations and sidequests) after beating the game.

Patryn

A few of them do. There is the one about that Artificial Intelligence incident on the Moon for instance an other about -I don't know which officer anymore- as well. I wouldn't have an exhaustive list but the Moon incident is quite interesting to have in your save I'd say (if only for the understanding it would bring for future events).

You need to do the moon side quest to unlock your class specialization, which will give you an additional ability. To skip that is kind of stupid.

Melchiah

I played it yesterday, and it was one of the most boring missions so far, so hopefully the repercussions will be worthwhile.

EDIT:
You need to do the moon side quest to unlock your class specialization, which will give you an additional ability. To skip that is kind of stupid.

I thought that was because I maxed out my Spectre specs at the end of the mission.

RPGCrazied

I hate to break it to you, but ME2 has the worst loading times of the series. Although i don't know if ME1 PS3 has it worst.

Just put an easier difficulty if you die too much. Will save you a lot of loadings. :p

And yeah, you cannot continue the game(DLC, or just explorations and sidequests) after beating the game.

Well, its not of dying, its more of dropping onto planets and just entering buildings and other stuff. So its worse in 2? Damn, well, at least it looks better? Or so I heard. Is film grain and motion blur options in 2?

Bisnic

Well, its not of dying, its more of dropping onto planets and just entering buildings and other stuff. So its worse in 2? Damn, well, at least it looks better? Or so I heard. Is film grain and motion blur options in 2?

You only see loadings when starting a new mission, entering a city hub and changing Normandy floors. Apparently, the Normandy loading screens has it worst on consoles, while its super fast on PC, but slow everywhere else.
And yes, ME2 and ME3 looks much better than ME1. Film grain and motion blur are still there, except no film grain in ME3.

Effect

Thanks. Trying to do as much as I can but trying to do it quickly as I've gone through the game before in the pass. So if I can cut something out great. I do remember doing this moon or at moon mission. So shouldn't take long to do it again. Have been remembering things I've done before and that's making completing them go quickly. Also not stopping to admire the game's graphics has helped speed things up considerably. I spent a LOT of time doing that my first play through when the game first came out.

Micerider

Thanks. Trying to do as much as I can but trying to do it quickly (as I've played through ME1 before and want to get to ME3 as soon as possible. That and I want to clear out m list of games and not let them waste as they've done in recent years). So if I can cut something out great. I do remember doing this moon or at moon mission. So shouldn't take long to do it again. Have been remembering things I've done before and that's making completing them go quickly.

From ME1, it's mainly main-quests that have a follow-up in future games. Sidequests are poor unfortunately.

ME2 is a 2-face game, the main quest has it's peak, but is really shabby if you compare it to ME1. The "side-quests" (if they can still be named so) linked to your crew are fantastic for most and have a follow-up on ME3.

Don't rush ME1's ending, the 3 last hours are a delight at all levels (the exact opposite of ME3...) .

PowderedToast

Oh, I'm intrigued.

eh, it's ok. nowhere near obsidian levels or anything.

this is the first time playing these games that i've noticed how absolutely pointless the neutral option is, the majority of the time it gives the same response as the paragon option anyway. removing it in 3 was simply a removal of the illusion.

the moments where you're given an option on the left and right also have you say the same thing very frequently.

paragon/renegade was also really badly handled. disregarding the fact it's binary, the skill-based nature of it means you're only ever rewarded for consistency. this means that you never respond independently to each situation, because doing that means you'll never have access to the high-level diplomatic speech options. you have to choose one side and stick with it all the way.

the only real chances you get to role play your character is romances (which are not moral affiliated), combat class and a handful of key story decisions - which even then are largely still crippled by the moral system. yuck

PowderedToast

I love Obsidian, but I found the choice towards the end of BDtS a much more difficult choice than anything Obsidian's presented. Occasionally Bioware does do some good stuff.

maybe i am misremembering

are you referring to
letting the batarian get away and saving the hostages, or chasing the batarian and the letting the hostages die?

RPGCrazied

I just hit a nasty bug. I forget the exact name of the planet, its like Nephmos, after I exited a mine the framerate seemed like it was under 10. I sure hope when I load up its fixed. I'm nearing the end I think with 30 hours.

Melchiah

I just hit a nasty bug. I forget the exact name of the planet, its like Nephmos, after I exited a mine the framerate seemed like it was under 10. I sure hope when I load up its fixed. I'm nearing the end I think with 30 hours.

I've got 28-29 hours behind, and I've only completed Noveria of the main missions. So, you might have quite a lot ahead like I do.

Finished my first playthrough, looked at the trophies.. holy shit am I suppose to play through this 50 times?!? Game is fantastic I had no flaws with the ps3 version, no game breaking glitches and game ran smoothly throughout.

I really liked the story of the game, I'll be buying mass effect 2 asap, but it might show up on playstation plus if i'm patient.

So I played engineer, next I guess i'll try going soldier, or adept. And i'll do all the side missions and what not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need advice, mass effect GAF. I have mass effect 1&2 on PC. I have mass effect 2&3 on 360. I've not played any mass effect.

Should I play 1&2 on PC and 3 on 360, just play 2&3 on 360 and ignore 1, or look for a cheap copy of mass effect 1 on 360 so I can coninue through with my character?

Patryn

I need advice, mass effect GAF. I have mass effect 1&2 on PC. I have mass effect 2&3 on 360. I've not played any mass effect.

Should I play 1&2 on PC and 3 on 360, just play 2&3 on 360 and ignore 1, or look for a cheap copy of mass effect 1 on 360 so I can coninue through with my character?

My advice:

1.) Find cheap copy of Mass Effect on the 360. The game is designed as a trilogy, and for you to take your character throughout the entire thing.

2.)Play 1 on PC, then play 2&3 on the 360. If you look around, you may find some way to convert PC saves to 360 saves.

Bisnic

Since ME1 runs like shit on 360, i'd suggest buying ME3 on PC. Unless you're one of those who can't stand playing with a keyboard & mouse.

Or use that save trick Patryn posted.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

PC because you'll want to look at those ME sky boxes in 1080p (or higher).

I'd suggest playing the whole series on the PC. If you don't have KB+M gaming experience, ME is a good game to start learning.

PowderedToast

i hadn't played ME1 in 4/5 years, and now that i'm nearing the end i can completely understand those who complain about ME2's plot. this really could've been a two game series with how the story unfolds in the original.

RPGCrazied

Just beat ME 1 with 30 hours. It didn't ask me to save after the credits? How will I be able to import into 2? Also, who sings the credits song?

Patryn

Just beat ME 1 with 30 hours. It didn't ask me to save after the credits? How will I be able to import into 2? Also, who sings the credits song?

It makes a system save in the background after you beat Saren (but before
you pick between Anderson and Udina... yeah, that choice is actually NOT tracked
). You can only import those saves, unlike in ME2 where you can import any save after beating the game.

eot

Banned

I think it autosaves in the background after the last decision and then imports that.
edit: strike that, I guess I'm wrong :D

As for the song, it's performed by Faunts.

Bisnic

It makes a system save in the background after you beat Saren (but before
you pick between Anderson and Udina... yeah, that choice is actually NOT tracked
). You can only import those saves, unlike in ME2 where you can import any save after beating the game.

Which makes it even funnier when you decide to
pick Anderson, then tell Jacob/Miranda in ME2 that you picked Udina
and they're all "Yeah that's right, you chose him!". :p

RPGCrazied

I feel the 2nd game's loading is faster. But I just barely got to freedoms landing. I also like how when you save you can still play the game as it saves, don't have to wait for it to save before you can do anything like the first ME.

How do you connect to the Cerberus network for the dlc? I have it downloaded an installed, but can't tell if its installed.

Patryn

I feel the 2nd game's loading is faster. But I just barely got to freedoms landing. I also like how when you save you can still play the game as it saves, don't have to wait for it to save before you can do anything like the first ME.

How do you connect to the Cerberus network for the dlc? I have it downloaded an installed, but can't tell if its installed.

You should be able to tell right from the menu screen when you first load the game. The laptop on the right should open up. If it doesn't, you're not connected. There should also be a prompt to connect somewhere.

RPGCrazied

You should be able to tell right from the menu screen when you first load the game. The laptop on the right should open up. If it doesn't, you're not connected. There should also be a prompt to connect somewhere.

It just says connected. All I have on the menu is start game and extra's. If I go into the DLC it just opens up the PS store.

Dave_6

For whatever reason, the laptop doesn't open on the PS3 version of ME2. There is just the connect prompt.

Bisnic

Wait, you can't use quick saves in the console versions of ME1? It's exclusive to PC? :lol

YagizY

Mako combat is simply fucking infuriating. Can anyone give me tips on this? Every enemy encounter takes me like 30 mins because I have to shoot, back away to let the Mako regen health, rinse, repeat.

Who thought this garbage was a good idea?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Mako combat is simply fucking infuriating. Can anyone give me tips on this? Every enemy encounter takes me like 30 mins because I have to shoot, back away to let the Mako regen health, rinse, repeat.

Who thought this garbage was a good idea?
Run them over, hop out of the Mako, and then Biotic Lift+Throw your target and then blast them. If there's lots of enemies use Singularity/Stasis/Warp on the ones you're not focusing on & Immunity/Barrier on your group if you have them. If you're getting hit too much you can hop back into the Mako for a quick getaway or you can take cover in nearby hills/trenches.

The only enemies you can't really kill like that are the huge giant worms, but there's only a few of them.

If you insist on doing it the boring way, i.e. the Mako machine guns, just do it from a far enough distance that you can safely hop the rockets aimed at you. Also take a electronics specced party member so they can help with hull damage repair.

Bittercup

Finished my first playthrough, looked at the trophies.. holy shit am I suppose to play through this 50 times?!?
You can get everything in 3 playthroughs. Only important to choose 2 different team mates each time and doing most of the side missions with them to get their trophies and those difficulty-Trophies.

Does the 750 Lifts, Warp etc... trophies stack up or must they be done in one playthrough?
They stack over all playthroughs but are even farmable. Same with the weapon trophies.
for example the Colony of the Dead is a great place with ~10 easy Husks in one place.
Save the game, leave your crew at the entrance kill everyone with the weapon, biotic power, tech skill you want, load the save from before and repeat.

I would try to get better ones on the first playthrough because once you have the trophy you unlock the skill for all new characters.
Like an Adept with the assault rifle skill, Soldier with singularity etc

If you haven't found out: with R2 you can fire the canon. Kills many enemies instantly or at least takes a large chunk of their HP.
I missed this the first time :D
and the projectiles like rockets or those energy balls from the bigger Geth fly relatively slowly. If you stand sidewise to them you can doge them by simply moving a bit back and forth.

Melchiah

35 hours, Noveria, Citadel missions and a plethora of planets behind (goddam, the Mako parts are tiring), finally I can continue the main story. That being said, is there additional Citadel missions later on, and if so, how to get them?

Bisnic

35 hours, Noveria, Citadel missions and a plethora of planets behind (goddam, the Mako parts are tiring), finally I can continue the main story. That being said, is there additional Citadel missions later on, and if so, how to get them?

There's always a few additional Citadel missions that gets added after a main mission. The only thing i can remember is that after Virmire, there is one guy near Flux + one guy near the markets with the big windows overlooking the Citadel. That, and Conrad that has something new to say at least 3 times, as long as you don't tell him to get the fuck away from you. :p

Melchiah

There's always a few addiotional Citadel missions that gets added after a main mission. The only thing i can remember is that after Virmire, there is one guy near Flux + one guy near the markets with the big windows overlooking the Citadel. That, and Conrad that has something new to say at least 3 times, as long as you don't tell him to get the fuck away from you. :p

Ok, I'll check over Citadel before/after Virmire then. Thanks.

Top Bottom