• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MasterChef (US) - Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot, Lex Luthor, and lots of crying.

I still can't believe Tanya went home instead of Tali and David. Oh wait, yes I can, the show is at least partly rigged and shouldn't be taken that seriously. "Decisions are made with input from the producers" disclaimer and all that. So it makes you wonder how and when they can give said input if the decisions really are being done on the spot, hmmmm.

Can anybody here confirm whether or not they've ever disliked any of Christine's dishes or gotten tough with her? Because I think I've only missed one episode this year and don't recall them getting tough or mean with her even once.

I still can't believe Tanya went home instead of Tali and David. Oh wait, yes I can, the show is at least partly rigged and shouldn't be taken that seriously. "Decisions are made with input from the producers" disclaimer and all that. So it makes you wonder how and when they can give said input if the decisions really are being done on the spot, hmmmm.

think Ryan would still be around if it was somewhat rigged.

RELAYER

Banned
Can anybody here confirm whether or not they've ever disliked any of Christine's dishes or gotten tough with her? Because I think I've only missed one episode this year and don't recall them getting tough or mean with her even once.

I can't give you specifics but I do remember them getting tough with her once.

benjipwns

Banned
They didn't like when her strawberry shortcake had raspberries and blackberries on top instead of strawberries.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

There was one of the first competition dishes where they called it "mediocre" and "definitely not your best" but it was in a quick 3 second cut with others. At that point I thought, ah, she's going home super quick.

TheYanger

what a crock of shit. Tanya was so fun and cute and awesome, she was obviously inexperienced but you can TELL she cooks better than fucking David and Tali...I mean David's bowl looked like vomit on the table, and got thrown in the god damn trash. Dude serves raw meat constantly and doesn't seem to think that's a big deal. How the fuck?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I cannot believe that Monti named her kid Danger. wtf.

I really hope she's kicked off before that kid shows up on the show. I find her entire schtick extremely annoying. Give your kid a real name, and pick a new one for yourself while you're at it.

wowzors

I don't think I have seen any of Felix's dishes for the past couple of weeks. What is going on? By the way Team Christine and Team Felix!

TheYanger

Why in gods name do you want Monti to still be poisoning our eyes and television sets that long :(

I know they put her in for the 'sympathy' mom type, but I find her the most unlikeable person remaining by FAR. Tali has a less obnoxious attitude than her.

isny

napkin dispenser
I don't think I have seen any of Felix's dishes for the past couple of weeks. What is going on? By the way Team Christine and Team Felix!

She's cruising under the radar. Not doing anything to stand out.

I'm thinking Christine or Becky are going to win it. Tali and David both have no chance and will be gone quick.

Monti will probably have a great career after this as a pin up/suicide girls model though. She has that look going for her and seems to be in good shape for her age.

Chris R

I thought they were going to make Tali the second elimination, but not bring him up. Seriously that is how I thought it was going to go down.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Christine doesn't even need to win to be a success. There's zero doubt that Masterchef will be the last we've seen of her... I'd be shocked if she didn't get her own cookbook regardless of the outcome at this point.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Christine has this in the bag barring something unforeseen. Way too likable, way too good a marketing opportunity, and way too talented.

I really like this show, but this season, the contestants just don't seem as "good" as those from season 2...
That being said, I think frank is seriously underrated, but can't really picture who really has what "it" takes to be a MasterChef in "real life"

Tamanon

Banned
I really like this show, but this season, the contestants just don't seem as "good" as those from season 2...
That being said, I think frank is seriously underrated, but can't really picture who really has what "it" takes to be a MasterChef in "real life"

I'm thinking final four will be Frank, Becky, Christine and either Josh or Felix.

I'm thinking final four will be Frank, Becky, Christine and either Josh or Felix.

This is my thought exactly. I am leaning more toward Felix than Josh though.

It really bugs me that Tali is still in. The dude is just horrible. If him, David, and Monti aren't the next three to be kicked off I will be amazed.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This is my thought exactly. I am leaning more toward Felix than Josh though.

It really bugs me that Tali is still in. The dude is just horrible. If him, David, and Monti aren't the next three to be kicked off I will be amazed.
I understand the hate for Monti's character but I don't see why she's mentioned as being down there with Tali and David. She's never been bottom 3, was exempted from one pressure test for being a standout, had the best tasting dish in another pressure test and just won the pizza stone elimination.

Felix, meanwhile, won the first mystery box and hasn't stood out since. I think she's closer to elimination than you guys seem to think.

Top 4 right now have to be Christine, Becky, Frank and Stacey.

I understand the hate for Monti's character but I don't see why she's mentioned as being down there with Tali and David. She's never been bottom 3, was exempted from one pressure test for being a standout, had the best tasting dish in another pressure test and just won the pizza stone elimination.

Felix, meanwhile, won the first mystery box and hasn't stood out since. I think she's closer to elimination than you guys seem to think.

Top 4 right now have to be Christine, Becky, Frank and Stacey.

I don't think Monti is horrible. I just don't think she is on the same level as the rest of the group, I still think she is leagues above David and Tali though. I don't see her making it to the top 5, so seeing her go in the next three really isn't that hard to see.

Zoe

It's possible she might choke due to being a lead on the next challenge, but I don't see her going before Felix. Felix has just fallen apart as of late.

It's possible she might choke due to being a lead on the next challenge, but I don't see her going before Felix. Felix has just fallen apart as of late.

I think they do another mystery box challenge next episode. With two going home it made the numbers uneven.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
David should be next to go just based on how nonchalant he is about serving raw meat. Pretty crazy he's still there given the way Gordon flips out about that.

I don't think Monti is horrible. I just don't think she is on the same level as the rest of the group, I still think she is leagues above David and Tali though. I don't see her making it to the top 5, so seeing her go in the next three really isn't that hard to see.

I think you could argue Monti is above Joshua for the 5 spot. Performance wise, they're dead even.

TheYanger

David should be next to go just based on how nonchalant he is about serving raw meat. Pretty crazy he's still there given the way Gordon flips out about that.

I think you could argue Monti is above Joshua for the 5 spot. Performance wise, they're dead even.

Which is why I'd almost expect her to stay on. Josh is super cool seeming but he's barely been in the show until recently. I'm fairly certain the producers had a hard on for Monti when editing this show and thought she'd be super loved due to her sob story. For all I know, only Gaf hates the bitch, idk. In my eyes the likability of her was vastly overestimated by them, she's just too obviously fake and obnoxious. Regardless...I think they'll keep her on longer BECAUSE they expected her to be liked.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I don't know what happened to Felix lately. I was pulling for her, and judging by the editing, so were the producers. Christine hasn't gotten too much camera time in the last couple of episodes as well. I think they're preparing the viewers for their departure.

If both fail to make it to the final indeed, then I'll be pulling for Frank and the skinny Becky rival who came out of nowhere... She's a badass, methinks.

SuperPac

I think the producers are keeping Tali around because he's one of the only contestants that will shit-talk everyone else. Almost every other scene is Tali going off on how someone else is totally the worst and how he doesn't understand why they're still there. And then his food comes up and it's barely edible and using raw flour.

The most laughable thing is that I'm sure they film the confessionals after the actual competition and yet he still just spews disdain for everyone else. It's humorous but they've also gotta be setting him up for a huge fall, right?

Zoe

The most laughable thing is that I'm sure they film the confessionals after the actual competition and yet he still just spews disdain for everyone else. It's humorous but they've also gotta be setting him up for a huge fall, right?

I don't think that's really the case. You can tell when someone's recorded their confessional after crying. I think in most cases they were recorded the following day judging by their clothes.

UberTag

Christine, Becky and Frank all appear to be locks for Top 3 at this point.

Rest of the Top 5 should be a crapshoot that ultimately doesn't matter much. I'd be shocked if either Tali or David manage to get that far.

Here are my tiers:

Christine-Becky-Frank
Monti-Joshua-Felix-Stacey
Tali-David

Cousteau

Yeah, it's pretty nuts. Actually searching for it says it was 3 years ago.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=375521

gordon-ramsey-claymation.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwxzczGzG0&feature=related

going straight to pole position on my phone.

pigeon

Banned

Monti's in my final four. She's the one who has great talent and no technique, so always has to make simple dishes; cooking shows love people like her. Her attitude is right in the wheelhouse of the target audience for this show. And she's trending upwards. Probably not top two. Then again I said the same thing about Christine when I saw her, and now I think she might be in the top two after all.

Frank could make it, but I dunno. They keep mentioning that Frank can only really cook Italian food, and that's a dangerous specialty on MasterChef in any case. He's very inconsistent. I think he's more likely to blow up near the end.

I think my final four is Monti, Christine, Becky, and somebody else -- could be Josh, we aren't seeing much of him. Or just possibly Frank holds on til the final four and goes out then. On the other hand, I get the feeling they'd prefer a male-female top two.

RS4-

Becky mentioned that no one would want a Monti budget master chef cook book.

Fuck that, plenty of people would. You don't have to break the bank to cook at home.

Korgill

I don't know what happened to Felix lately. I was pulling for her, and judging by the editing, so were the producers. Christine hasn't gotten too much camera time in the last couple of episodes as well. I think they're preparing the viewers for their departure.

If both fail to make it to the final indeed, then I'll be pulling for Frank and the skinny Becky rival who came out of nowhere... She's a badass, methinks.

Based on Hell's Kitchen, they focus on those that are leaving soon. David has gotten a lot of air time so he will be gone next episode. Christine and Felix are definitely top 5. They only have time to focus on the bottom and the top dish for each episode.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Becky mentioned that no one would want a Monti budget master chef cook book.

Fuck that, plenty of people would. You don't have to break the bank to cook at home.

Really off base remark by Becky. Whitney won season 1 by cooking the simple stuff.

Based on Hell's Kitchen, they focus on those that are leaving soon. David has gotten a lot of air time so he will be gone next episode. Christine and Felix are definitely top 5. They only have time to focus on the bottom and the top dish for each episode.
Felix was just nearly kicked off based on her Tiramisu last week. She's only above David and Tali by default at this point.

FGMPR

Banned
You guys are all fucked. Monti is awesome.

Tali is the worst. The guy let himself become the subject/monkey-boy/servant of that other arrogant flog that was thankfully kicked off, and keeps talking himself up as if the three judges don't know shit about food whenever they drop some truth-bombs on his arse. Unreasonable and undeserved self-arrogance is the worst trait in a person, in my opinion and Tali is chock full of it. He is season 3's Christian without the skill to back it up.

I just don't understand how every episode it seems we get someone saying "poor Tali" or "Your dish looks so great". How does this dude seem to have everyone liking him, but on TV he comes across as such a deuche. I know it's mostly editing, but he at least has to say the shit he says for them to edit it together.

I don't know if thats really the case...

Earlier in the season they focused a lot of Christine, even teasing the idea that her meal was so bad that she was brought to tears, or constantly focusing on her cutting her self, or piercing her self with seafood. It always ends up being a sensational dish, and the tears are tears of joy from the hosts telling her to quit doubting her self. The reason we don't see a focus on christine anymore is because she just doesn't make mistakes... I mean, when your biggest blunder is a delicious tasting Strawberry shortcake that wasn't made with strawberries... you are doing something right.

I do however think the next time they focus on christine (which might be next week based on the preview i think), it may actually be something negative because at this point, no one believes she makes anything bad.

IF they followed your theory, Monti would have been gone 3 or 4 episodes ago. THey have focused on her ever since Tali's buttbuddy left. Even before hand, she was a big focus. Becky, Tali and David should be gone by now as well.. (im sure one of them will probably be leaving next week though)

I don't know if thats really the case...

Earlier in the season they focused a lot of Christine, even teasing the idea that her meal was so bad that she was brought to tears, or constantly focusing on her cutting her self, or piercing her self with seafood. It always ends up being a sensational dish, and the tears are tears of joy from the hosts telling her to quit doubting her self. The reason we don't see a focus on christine anymore is because she just doesn't make mistakes... I mean, when your biggest blunder is a delicious tasting Strawberry shortcake that wasn't made with strawberries... you are doing something right.

I do however think the next time they focus on christine, it may actually be something negative because at this point, no one believes she makes anything bad.

IF they followed your theory, Monti would have been gone 3 or 4 episodes ago. THey have focused on her ever since Tali's buttbuddy left.

I agree. The whole (air time=exit) thing only works on people that never get air time. When someone on the show all of a sudden pops up and you feel like you've never seen them before and they suddenly get a lot of air time chances are they are leaving.

pigeon

Banned
Felix was just nearly kicked off based on her Tiramisu last week. She's only above David and Tali by default at this point.

My read of Felix when the show started was that she was the Asian one who would give the show diversity but get sent home in the middle of the season. Like Slim or Mike Chen. Christine kind of screwed that plan up for them, though. I definitely don't see Felix making it all the way. Her trend is too negative and I feel like she has trouble outside her comfort zone. Most of the people on MasterChef are defined by their breadth, because it's so hard as a home chef to know how to cook a variety of foods; one of the reasons Christine does so well is that her thing is New American, which can incorporate a lot of different ingredients as long as it's simple.

Top Bottom