• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MasterChef (US) - Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot, Lex Luthor, and lots of crying.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm going to say

Appetizer-Christine

Main Course-Tie

Desert-Josh

Winner Christine (because come on, like she wasn't going to win from the start)

Gaborn

Christine deserves it. Josh made the single biggest mistake with the lobster. Christine showed better flavors and techniques and made no huge errors.

Heysoos

iloHaySXxfn3s.gif

Yay Christine!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Show is so damn rigged...

That's not fair. Josh got kicked off once, and came back. Christina has made solid food every single week. Yeah her being blind made the marketability contest a no-braininer, but unlike previous seasons, the talent went with the marketability.

purg3

slept with Malkin
That's not fair. Josh got kicked off once, and came back. Christina has made solid food every single week. Yeah her being blind made the marketability contest a no-braininer, but unlike previous seasons, the talent went with the marketability.

she was super consistent throughout the competition, she really does deserve it. Josh definitely has flashes of culinary brilliance, just couldn't match the consistency of Christine. I think she really only had one off dish, where as Josh was on the chopping block a bunch of times.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I actually thought it was refreshing to see a clear frontrunner win. They didn't try to diminish her, or build up others to throw us off. She was just a brilliant mind they had.

Can't believe people are calling rigged on the night.

Josh:

+ more ambition
- entree was too simple
- BIG error on the appetizer
+ some good flavours here and there (sauce in the first dish, ice cream in the last)
+ good techniques

Christine:

+ easily the better flavours of the night
+ good techniques
- too simple overall
+ more cohesive
+ did not make a big fuck up like not cooking lobster

Then you throw in the side points like Josh was already eliminated once, and Christine wasn't, as well as any marketability.

It's not highway robbery like some of you are making it sound. Not even close. Simple as that. She deserved to win.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Frank was better and more consistent than Christine, so Christine wasn't the frontrunner.

Frank was alright but the dude folded under pressure. Same could be said for Becky. She was probably the big front runner for the majority of the season too. But just like Frank she couldn't preform under the pressure.

Frank was alright but the dude folded under pressure. Same could be said for Becky. She was probably the big front runner for the majority of the season too. But just like Frank she couldn't preform under the pressure.

What? Frank barely fucked up, and when he did, he never made a terrible dish. Becky really started fucking the further she went.

Frank got fucked over by Josh and Josh never deserved to be in the top 2.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10

I should have explained myself better.

I wasn't really rooting for either really, thought Becky was the best, but I can't taste the food so who knows. Josh got sent home, and then was brought back under questionable circumstances vs Stacey/Mike. Christine was exposed as a fraud when all season she was touted as having an amazing palette then when they unbiased judges come in they say she can't even make a decent broth.

No, what pisses me off was Christine's simplicity being able to win her the title, while Adrien last year apparently lost because he braised his meat.

IceCold

I should have explained myself better.

I wasn't really rooting for either really, thought Becky was the best, but I can't taste the food so who knows. Josh got sent home, and then was brought back under questionable circumstances vs Stacey/Mike. Christine was exposed as a fraud when all season she was touted as having an amazing palette then when they unbiased judges come in they say she can't even make a decent broth.

No, what pisses me off was Christine's simplicity being able to win her the title, while Adrien last year apparently lost because he braised his meat.

Same thing happened in Season 1. The girl who won made simpler dishes. I think one of her dishes was breaded fried chicken over some kale compared to the guy who made a beef wellington.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Same thing happened in Season 1. The girl who won made simpler dishes. I think one of her dishes was breaded fried chicken over some kale compared to the guy who made a beef wellington.

That was a case of marketability over talent though. Wasn't the girl only 19 years old or something?

IceCold

That was a case of marketability over talent though. Wasn't the girl only 19 years old or something?

Yes. Marketability wins every time. First season you had the young southern bell, second season it was the ex-beauty pageant woman turned home cook, and now the blind cook.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10

Ah that's too bad, I saw a few episodes of S1, but never saw the finale, I could at least see Whitney with her personality winning her points. With Jennifer I couldn't really see anything remarkable about what she did besides being a former beauty queen.

Unfortunate outcome. Good for Christine, but I think Josh deserved to win. This entire season has seemed awfully predictable, though. I was hoping for Josh to pull it out, but Christine was definitely more marketable. To those crying foul over Josh coming back... everyone had a shot and it could've been anyone in that position. The fact is that he came back by cooking stuff extremely well and ended up showing that he didn't deserve to go home and deserved his spot in the final. Christine absolutely deserved to be in the final two, but I just think Josh did a better job in the end.

Josh came out with complex, sound dishes that not only apparently tasted good, but looked fucking incredible. All of his dishes looked amazing, but his lamb dish? That looked better than most things I've seen on any MasterChef season or MasterChef: The Professionals.. and those were professional chefs. I appreciate his focus on something different and unique for the finale of a MasterChef competition, not simple and back to basics like the Christine dishes. Christine kept it too simple... shame.

Haint

Show is so damn rigged...

All reality shows decided by "judges" (read executives and producers) are inherently rigged by the public facing nature of the networks/studios/sponsors. Skill, merit, and performance will always take a back seat to political correctness and backlash avoidance. Don't get me wrong, it's a great ideal we should all strive for, but the shows are supposed to be objective measures of ability--not who can cast a disabled gay minority who doesn't suck at whatever the competition's based on. Obviously many of the reverse criticisms are levied against shows decided by a public vote (see American Idol's so coined "white guy with guitar"). I personally think the fairest approach is the Jury of contestants as the shows generally cast from a wide variety of backgrounds, ethnicities, and orientations.

Unfortunate outcome. Good for Christine, but I think Josh deserved to win. This entire season has seemed awfully predictable, though. I was hoping for Josh to pull it out, but Christine was definitely more marketable. To those crying foul over Josh coming back... everyone had a shot and it could've been anyone in that position. The fact is that he came back by cooking stuff extremely well and ended up showing that he didn't deserve to go home and deserved his spot in the final. Christine absolutely deserved to be in the final two, but I just think Josh did a better job in the end.

Josh came out with complex, sound dishes that not only apparently tasted good, but looked fucking incredible. All of his dishes looked amazing, but his lamb dish? That looked better than most things I've seen on any MasterChef season or MasterChef: The Professionals.. and those were professional chefs. I appreciate his focus on something different and unique for the finale of a MasterChef competition, not simple and back to basics like the Christine dishes. Christine kept it too simple... shame.

Not everyone had a shot at coming back, wasn't it only like the last 8? I know the asian boy wasn't included. And I doubt Josh's dish was more complex, it used more expensive ingredients but I bet Christines dishes were more complex to create, it just looked simpler.

Big-E

Awesome that Josh lost. If a guy who got kicked out and then after coming back made a lot of mediocre shit ended up winning I would have been pissed.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Still not sure how anyone thinks Whitney DIDN'T deserve to win Season 1. She had more wins, more top 3 finishes and more pressure test wins than anyone else that season. But she was pretty so OBVIOUSLY that shit was rigged.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wonder if I remembered everything correctly, but did judges criticized Adrian for using pressure cooker at finale?

I'm not sure if I recalled that correctly, because it bothered me when they praised Christine for using Pressure Cooker awhile they were criticizing Adrian for not being technical at finale because he was using pressure cooker.

Shouldn't be no surprise after last season. Christine deserves all the success coming her way but based on those dishes it should've been Josh hands down.

I disagree. While he nailed the entree, he messed up the main component of the app and while his scoop of ice cream may have been good, the judges gave the impression that his pecan pie was average, even saying that the bacon did nothing more than create an oily crust... Say what you will about the simplicity of Christine's dishes, but she didn't fuck up any major components like Josh did with the lobster. The worst thing Christine did was poorly present her entree and make a Coconut Lime sorbet that tasted more like Coconut than lime... I forgot which of the three chefs said it, but I agree that if you are going to take risks, you better be sure you can nail it. All Josh proved was that he tried to impress the chefs by doing something he wasn't confident with. Christine was smart, played to her strengths, and won.

And yes... the producers likely had this final planned from the moment josh had gotten his second chance... I believe hey had less influence in the final choice though.

Top Bottom