• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MasterChef (US) - Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot, Lex Luthor, and lots of crying.

Zyzyxxz

Bit-Bit said:
I just marathon the show yesterday on Hulu. Such a great show. I was rooting for Whitney the whole time and when it came down to the final four, shit got so intense. I'm glad she won. Southern food kicks ass. Also, I was so happy when Joe threw Slim's dish in the trash and she was eliminated. It seem like she kept talking trash about Whitney even though Whitney wasn't doing anything to her.

Now I just need that cookbook to make that seven minute chicken.

um you do realize the show's drama was mostly staged/edited to make things seem more intense.

In fact the whole show seemed to steer the viewers to want Whitney to win and it really seems predetermined given the judges reactions.

mj1108

Through the wonders of the online world where videos can be found, I've been following a Masterchef series in Australia called Junior Masterchef. They have kids who are 8-12 years old who are making some really advanced stuff. I wouldn't want to compete against one of those kids. They'd cook me under the table. :lol

An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDrfnQrkwFA

Youtube seems to have a bunch of the episodes so far.

Zyzyxxz

mj1108 said:
Through the wonders of the online world where videos can be found, I've been following a Masterchef series in Australia called Junior Masterchef. They have kids who are 8-12 years old who are making some really advanced stuff. I wouldn't want to compete against one of those kids. They'd cook me under the table. :lol

An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDrfnQrkwFA

Youtube seems to have a bunch of the episodes so far.

thats surprisingly pretty good for 8-12 year olds.

Fatalah

benjipwns said:
Just a heads up before the OT is locked for E3.

MasterChef has two night season premiere Monday and Tuesday at 8PM EST.

http://www.fox.com/masterchef/

Thanks for the heads up! Has Whitney's cookbook come out yet?

Update: Amazon has it slated for July 5th.
51HcuTSWbJL._SS500_.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
If you aren't watching the Sony conference, the premiere starts in a couple minutes. (Or even if you are since they'll have a handy recap of what happened after each commercial break!)

Fatalah

Man, this has got to be Ramsay's best show. It's gotta be the judges -- I love all three. They each have the skillset and clout to host their own reality shows.

Great premiere tonight.

benjipwns

Banned
Well, things haven't gone well and FOX is already changing the schedule (plus some Hell's Kitchen news):
Fox's reality series MasterChef is getting a reprieve. Originally, Fox had planned to air the cooking show Mondays and Tuesdays at 8 PM, an hour earlier than last summer. But after MasterChef plummeted 33% year-to-year in its season premiere on Monday and only went up a tenth from that in its Tuesday premiere last night, the network is shifting the series to 9 PM where it aired last year behind Hell's Kitchen. The move on Monday will be made right away, with a MasterChef rerun airing at 8 PM, leading into a new MasterChef starting next week. Hell's Kitchen, which was originally slated to premiere on July 19 and air Tuesdays at 9 PM, following MasterChef, will now air on Mondays and Tuesdays at 8 PM, kicking off its new season with a two-night premiere on July 18 and July 19 when MasterChef will move to the Tuesday 9 PM slot. Starting the week of July 18, Fox will air identical Hell's Kitchen/MasterChef lineups on both Monday and Tuesday.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/fox...ce-a-week-buried-treasure-gets-premiere-date/

Ugh, hate Joe. A lot of times he sounds so uninformed. It's telling that on almost all of the split decisions him and Gordon have opposite opinions.

With that said. Go Scottish lady!

benjipwns

Banned
That one girl in the front row looked absolutely terrified when the chicken came out of the truck and while Gordon was holding it. Her face was a combination of horror and outright disgust at its mere presence.

Dynedom

I remember watching the old Australian version of this show and liking it so much more. It was just so much more positive, without the drama and genuinely about the food. I actually enjoyed watching the series.

I tried giving Masterchef USA a chance but the "faux-drama" and "hardass" attitude of Joe Bastianich is a complete turnoff for me.

Edit: I'm not particularly a Ramsay hater or anything. I love Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and the F Word. It seems like anything he does on North American TV is absolute dogshit though.

Dynedom said:
I remember watching the old Australian version of this show and liking it so much more. It was just so much more positive, without the drama and genuinely about the food. I actually enjoyed watching the series.

I tried giving Masterchef USA a chance but the "faux-drama" and "hardass" attitude of Joe Bastianich is a complete turnoff for me.

Edit: I'm not particularly a Ramsay hater or anything. I love Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and the F Word. It seems like anything he does on North American TV is absolute dogshit though.

The only Fox-Ramsay show where drama is good for me is Hell's Kitchen. But because that is more entertaining for all the meltdowns.

Fox completely ruined Kitchen Nightmares US, its about Ramsay being Dr. Phil and bringing families together instead of the restaurant and it's food. While Kitchen Nightamres UK is awesome.

I haven't watched Masterchef Australia, might give it a try.

MooMoo

Watching the new season, is anyone else getting some season 1 vibes, persona-wise? Suzy reminds me of Sheetal, Ben (? the guy who forgot his pumpkin signature ingredient in the audition episode) reminds me of Dave in the way he expresses himself, Max (? rich guy) sort of reminds me of Sharone, etc. etc.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
cartoon_soldier said:
The only Fox-Ramsay show where drama is good for me is Hell's Kitchen. But because that is more entertaining for all the meltdowns.

Fox completely ruined Kitchen Nightmares US, its about Ramsay being Dr. Phil and bringing families together instead of the restaurant and it's food. While Kitchen Nightamres UK is awesome.

I think season 2 had some improvement, but yeah, it's a long way from the UK version.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
cartoon_soldier said:
I like how people cheer when Apples are thrown from the truck

Said the exact same thing last night. It was like a bunch of kindergartners.

xbhaskarx

My favorite part of the show is the "suspense" when they are doing eliminations.

I'm interested to see how complicated the double negatives will get: "Don't not refuse to un-rejoin your fellow contestants!"

Quixzlizx

xbhaskarx said:
My favorite part of the show is the "suspense" when they are doing eliminations.

I'm interested to see how complicated the double negatives will get: "Don't not refuse to un-rejoin your fellow contestants!"

I like to try and see how many seconds beforehand I can pinpoint when they'll cut to commercial.

Tron 2.0

xbhaskarx said:

"I'm sorry, you need to pack your bags...

...your bags full of HOPES AND DREAMS BECAUSE YOU'RE MOVING ON TO THE NEXT ROUND!"

Gaborn said:
He's clearly the villain of the season.
Will his hubris eventually lead to his downfall?

Yes.

benjipwns

Banned
My favorite is still from the first season, "untie your apron..."

[Guy does and walks forward, Ramsay waits until he gets all the way there]

"AND TIE IT TIGHTER! YOU'RE IN"

mj1108

cartoon_soldier said:

Masterchef Australia is really, really great. They're in the middle of the 3rd season right now. It airs 6 days a week. The feeling between it and the US version is like night and day. Wish the US version was like it but I know no network would give a series that much airtime unless it was getting 10 million viewers a day.....plus us here in the US don't have that kind of attention span. Masterchef Australia >>>>> Masterchef US

They also had a Junior Masterchef Australia last year (they have a 2nd season starting later this year). Those damn kids could cook me (and probably 90% of GAF) under a bus. :\

Dynedom said:

Bingo.

benjipwns

Banned
It's a useless anecdote but I know a few Aussies and they all seem to hate their MasterChef thinking it's boring and annoying. They love all the Ramsay U.S. material though. And hate the blatantly superior U.K. Kitchen Nightmares.

Nothing compares to Big Brother apparently however.

I think they just like being contradictory. Just look at what they did with the seasons!

Zyzyxxz

mj1108 said:
They also had a Junior Masterchef Australia last year (they have a 2nd season starting later this year). Those damn kids could cook me (and probably 90% of GAF) under a bus. :\

I better count myself in the 10% as my pride as a cook would be on the line.

Zoe

And did I miss some interaction between him and Suzy that started his whole vendetta against her?

Tron 2.0

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I actually like Max.
You just think he's cute.

Zoe said:
And did I miss some interaction between him and Suzy that started his whole vendetta against her?
I felt like I missed something as well. Didn't see their audition episode so maybe it was explained there?

She's clearly a bitch, though.

Pkaz01

Tron 2.0 said:
You just think he's cute.

I felt like I missed something as well. Didn't see their audition episode so maybe it was explained there?

She's clearly a bitch, though.
I think she was just talking out loud and saying shit like oh wow this tastes so good and im really good and shit. So he pretty much took that as bitchyness and started talking shit even though he does the same damn thing. I don't like either of them at this point.

Top Bottom