• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MasterChef (US) - Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot, Lex Luthor, and lots of crying.

Zyzyxxz

LM4sure said:
Why the heck is that black guy still on the show then? I don't think he has said a word all season but I catch glimpses of him once in a while. Who the fuck is this guy? Max was hilarious. He shall be missed.

well they are still in the early stages so alot of people with potential may get axed early but eventually it will come down the the last 5 or 6 and it should be pretty close but by then they will have groomed their winner.

Zalasta

That sausage challenge was pretty poorly conducted. No cooking shows I've seen have ever allowed real-time feedback on contestant's food once the judging has begun. Coaching during the prep is fine, but giving specific critique as to why they (blue team) were losing votes completely affected the outcome. Terrible.

Pkaz01

Zalasta said:
That sausage challenge was pretty poorly conducted. No cooking shows I've seen have ever allowed real-time feedback on contestant's food once the judging has begun. Coaching during the prep is fine, but giving specific critique as to why they (blue team) were losing votes completely affected the outcome. Terrible.
Well he did tell them before the testers came that it was too sweet, Ramsay did the same for the red when told them their sausages were not going to cut it and they should put them without the casing.

isny

napkin dispenser
The fact the team leader got off scott free from that challenge was nuts. Hopefully it bites her in the ass.

Zalasta

Pkaz01 said:
Well he did tell them before the testers came that it was too sweet, Ramsay did the same for the red when told them their sausages were not going to cut it and they should put them without the casing.

No, that was the coaching during the prep. They were told again during the judging that the reason they were being out voted 2:1 was because the first wave of tasters said their food was too sweet. Then they decided to change it up. Which turned around the result. Not the same at all.

Zoe

isny said:
The fact the team leader got off scott free from that challenge was nuts. Hopefully it bites her in the ass.

I don't remember them ever punishing a leader in this show though. The tasks cut down the number of people they have to judge.

LM4sure

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
He's the guy that made an Italian dish in the French challenge. He dodged the bullet because Angel didn't even cook her dish and Mark put raw flour in his.
Ha, I remember that! What an idiot! He'll be gone shortly.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I normally don't watch TV or any reality shows but I'm addicted to this one for some reason. Always watch it at dinnertime, since it neatly coincides with that... can't stand the single mom and really wish her (and the Asian girl) got the boot. Rooting for Derrick (the dude with the snakebites), gotta support a fellow islander...

Zoe

WTF at Esther hating on southern food????

Edit: the Italian can pronounce "panko" correctly but the Asian can not :lol

LM4sure

Banned
God, I hate all the gimmicks of reality tv. But this show is entertaining. I really dislike that Indian chick. Super annoying and full of herself.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Zoe said:
Ramsey doesn't seem as nice this season. They must have told him to step it up.

He's intense, but, Lex Luthors the mean one on this one. Ramsay will be honest, but he doesn't seem mean about it.

S1lent

Halvie said:
Wish someone would spit in this guy's face. Who got eliminated tonight?

jennie.JPG

Not a big loss.

Zoe

Halvie said:
Anyone unsure as to why Max got cut last week? His steaks, especially the well done, looked better than the girl's.

She hit the temps closer on the first two and only messed up the last one. His were so-so for all three.

VPhys

Didn't quite get today how a guy made it to the top 3 in the vegetarian mystery box challenge when he cooked a fried egg as part of his dish.

benjipwns

Banned
Eggs (and other animal products like dairy/honey/etc.) are one of the things that are sometimes allowed in certain vegetarian diets.

xbhaskarx

Is the black guy actually on the show?? Have they showed us his food in any of the last four or so episodes? This time I'm pretty sure they did every contestant BUT him.
Meanwhile every recent episode has had a contestant who finished in the top three in at least one competition get sent home. Either he's the most average person in the history of cooking shows or they're keeping him around for ratings purposes...

Also the preview showed the blonde single mother cursing up a storm again, so it looks like she will be a part of the next pressure test or elimination challenge or whatever they call it. If she doesn't get sent home next time I may have to re-evaluate whether this show is worth watching.

Ashhong

Pkaz01 said:

I just watched it, and thats bull. Ramsay did not tell them, one of the chefs asked him what he thought of the idea. It basically won blue team the game when Joe went and told them EXACTLY what they needed to change to win. Ramsay or someone should have suggested something to the red team.

benjipwns

Banned
You guys are ignoring that there must always be a tie that is broken at the last second, or a dramatic comeback. (Which can succeed or fail.) The producers have no interest in one team vaporizing the other off the face of the earth and ending the challenge the instant it gets started.

Ashhong

No of course we get that. I believe the bikers were told to bring it closer in the end when it was like 45-30 or something. Blue was smoking red after fixing their stuff. Wouldn't it have been even closer if Red were given a hint as to what was wrong with theirs too?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The little asian chick that looks like she smells crap all the time really needs to get ejected out of a helicopter

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
this season is really bad. the editing seems to have taken over. we get a new villian every week. it's like they're trying to make it like hell's kitchen where Gordon screams at everyone. Doesn't work here because most of the chefs look like nice people.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Max is a ridiculous character and how anyone could like him is beyond me good riddance, also Joe trys way too hard to be the badass judge, and his silent treatment / arms crossed bullshit should be retired asap

benjipwns

Banned
Disagree, it's so over the top it has to stay. I want him to take it further. You know he was trying to be serious in contrast to Graham's LOVE ALMOST ALL OF IT and Gordon's controlled encouragement and the producers said MORE MORE but he still has so much further it can go.

I mean, he hasn't started staring at a contestant for a few minutes then cut to commercial, and we come back and he's still staring for a few more minutes before walking back silently. (Then another commercial, and then we come back to find out who lost.)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
:lol im half expecting him to stare the person down while chewing, stop, spit it out, turn around slowly walk and then throw his hand up in the air, signaling the shark pit below the contestant to open and swallow him.

S1lent

xbhaskarx said:
Is the black guy actually on the show?? Have they showed us his food in any of the last four or so episodes? This time I'm pretty sure they did every contestant BUT him.
Meanwhile every recent episode has had a contestant who finished in the top three in at least one competition get sent home. Either he's the most average person in the history of cooking shows or they're keeping him around for ratings purposes...

Also the preview showed the blonde single mother cursing up a storm again, so it looks like she will be a part of the next pressure test or elimination challenge or whatever they call it. If she doesn't get sent home next time I may have to re-evaluate whether this show is worth watching.

:lol

Yeah, it's really strange. I've seen people get little screen time in reality shows, but never to the extent where you're not even sure if the person is on the show or not. I missed part of the episode last night but don't recall seeing him at all in the parts I watched. Is the dude that boring?

DominoKid

xbhaskarx said:

i was wondering if anyone else picked up on this lol.

Zyzyxxz

S1lent said:
:lol

Yeah, it's really strange. I've seen people get little screen time in reality shows, but never to the extent where you're not even sure if the person is on the show or not. I missed part of the episode last night but don't recall seeing him at all in the parts I watched. Is the dude that boring?

sometimes they do this after filming and editing before airing on TV for the sake of fake drama.

For example he could become spectacular all of a sudden or he may actually be a crazy fool or maybe they want to save him last since the other contestants peak early in terms of "interest" factor. Hard to tell now and its only something we may learn in retrospect once the season is over.

xbhaskarx said:

Naw they didnt show Suzy or that other chick's dish either. It seems like they have enough time to show them all. They must really be average dishes.

I really think Christian got pissed because of the reality show BS. He probably just called them out because he knew they were just trying to push someone else for the "storytelling" of the show.

And why did they have to show Whitney again? Sure she is nice on the eyes but damn there is no way she should have won last season.

There is not really a chick I can root for the rest of the season. So I got to root for Derrick, Christian and that other guy Adrian(I think).

SuperPac

diamondstar said:
And why did they have to show Whitney again? Sure she is nice on the eyes but damn there is no way she should have won last season.

They brought her back because her MasterChef cookbook that was part of the prize last year came out a week ago. It was solely to promote the cookbook. Just like they show beauty shots of the Viking ovens and various other brands - it's product placement.

Grzi

xbhaskarx said:

Well in the first season, you could barely see Lee at the beginning, he didn't start showing up until late in the series and ended up in the top 4.
But I don't recall ever seeing any of his dishes up until episode 8 or 9.

Zoe

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
Hold on. There's a black guy on the show?
I've watched every episode but one and can't even picture him. wtf?

He's the one who thought an Italian dish was French.

Masterchef USA is barely watchable. The Australian version is 1000000x better and I feel privileged to be able to watch it even though I'm an American.

mj1108

undercoverb0ss said:
Masterchef USA is barely watchable. The Australian version is 1000000x better and I feel privileged to be able to watch it even though I'm an American.
THIS. THIS. THIS.

I've been following the Australia version as well and it is like night and day compared to the joke the US version is. I'm in the US as well and wish the US version was more like the Australia version.....but it would never happen since there is a lack of drama and douchebags and they actually focus on cooking.

mj1108 said:
THIS. THIS. THIS.

I've been following the Australia version as well and it is like night and day compared to the joke the US version is. I'm in the US as well and wish the US version was more like the Australia version.....but it would never happen since there is a lack of drama and douchebags and they actually focus on cooking.
No drama? No douchebags? No thanks.

It's amazing how often the show is on!

I don't think we will see Thomas Keller or David Chang coming anywhere near the USA version lol. I'd be suprised if ANY well know chef appears this season.

SickBoy

I'm into the show enough that I'll keep watching, but I probably won't watch any future seasons. I like the judges, but the blatant "this is produced reality TV" vibe really gets me... especially contrasted against Top Chef, which is much more low-key on that front.

Lerozz

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
No drama? No douchebags? No thanks.

The way it is in the US series, it goes towards highest highs of ridiculousness though until you want to throw something at the telly.

Australia, New Zealand and UK (the best) work well without it.

I am still watching the US though. But sometimes it hurts. XD

VPhys

LOL at the comments about the black guy. The dude is totally MIA.

I can see someone coasting along in the competition by always being in the middle, but in the last challenge the judges tasted every ones food BUT his. I've heard of slipping under the radar but this has to unprecedented.

Top Bottom