• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Piscatella reply to Tom Warren: Just stick to hyping AI crap no one wants instead of opining on perceived “Bad PS5 Pro early sales”

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF
Sad Will Ferrell GIF by First We Feast

Astray

Why would anyone expect a mid-gen refresh that costs $700 to be sold out when it's mainly only available online right now AND we have no idea how many they've made? There are no shortages going on right now that would impact production.
The Xbox (and weirdly enough, PC fans) mantra:

The PS5 Pro doesn't exist.
And even If it exists, it won't be good.
And even if it's good, it definitely won't sell.
And even if it sells..

They're still working on it just give them time.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Why would they want to be sold out over a month before release when it's not available for pre-order at retailers yet?
Because they don't have an infinite number of consoles and won't just keep selling through their website and then tell retailers to suck it if they sell their entire supply. Ergo, they have not sold out the number that they have decided to sell direct.

So, it's not sold out. To some degree, you could say that some people would rather buy from Amazon or wherever for various reasons. But, given that Sony are the only people selling, that is of some significance that they haven't sold out.

jm89

So Sony made this console to not sell well? To me it looks like he is moving the goalpost, I bet Sony expects first batch to sell out.
Uhm what goalpost is he moving?

Considering the price, the state of the economy and ps4 pro performance i highly doubt they thought it would sell out.

In Australia at least, I think sales are going to be really low.

Massive cost of living crisis and an upgraded version for $1,200+ will be a tough sell.

I’ll check again today but on the weekend was still available from all retailers. They’re even selling it at Target which surprised me as Target basically don’t sell games / consoles here anymore. I’d be surprised if Target moved over 10 pros Australia wide since launch.

demigod

It was sold out at launch.

Cheers. Back in 2013. I went along with my mate to our local electronics retailer for him to pick up his pre-order PS4. When we got there. There was a whole stack of PS4's and I asked if I could buy one too. Easy as! I certainly do not remember people trying to hunt them down or wait days/months for them.
No it wasn’t sold out at launch. I had a preorder at Best Buy, walked into Gamestop and bought 2 more ON LAUNCH DAY, my nephew also bought 1 so thats 3 non preorders.

Last edited:

demigod

It’s hard to argue with an arrogant god. But as I said before. They were not always readily available on shelves. Not sure what the pre orders were like because I didn’t participate.
So it went from "hard to find" to now being "not always readily available on shelves", hilarious. Keep spinning cupcake, your master has taught you well.

The whole discussion is absolutely pointless.

Normal pre-orders are not even open until October 10,

I'm buying mine from GameStop to trade in my current PS5

A lot of people don't even know what Playstation Direct is...

And even if they do, they probably won't buy the console from that site for $700/€800 cash....

Last edited:

Rockman33

So it went from "hard to find" to now being "not always readily available on shelves", hilarious. Keep spinning cupcake, your master has taught you well.
Please explain to me the difference between those statements. Would love to hear the way you spin it.

It's not so much the consoles I have an issue with. I like them, but it's more the direction the top end of the industry is heading in. Digital Foundry went into that with the whole "PS2 Flavour" topic. As a result of chasing the big graphical open world 100+ hour titles, we've lost a lot of titles of medium size (once were considering big) that interested me. As a result, I'm on a mid PC playing indie mostly. Thankfully, indie is doing an amazing job.
I can understand that I would like games to be smaller as well. Hell just spent 108 hours beating Trails through Daybreak and I still need to go back through it for the plat. This isn't an issue with consoles though there are plenty of indies on consoles. Sony in fact has been releasing smaller games lately with Miles Morales and Astrobot. I think Vemon will be something similar.

Three

I dunno that tweet by Tom Warren seems pretty neutral/stating an observation.
I think Tom hasn't been that bad lately. he might possibly have been neutral on that post but I think this is a case of his reputation not doing him any favours. He wasn't making a big deal of PS5s selling out or Series S failing to sell out to jump to conclusions on power and consumer needs. He was even claiming Series S will perform better than a PS5. It's his reputation letting him down.

Top Bottom