• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Piscatella reply to Tom Warren: Just stick to hyping AI crap no one wants instead of opining on perceived “Bad PS5 Pro early sales”

//DEVIL//

well I mean. Tom is not wrong.

for a Playstation console not to be sold out within minutes ( a high-end console too ) doesn't sound really good. and the price is a big factor to this. not to mention there is no killer app too. Half of the games they showed with a little upgrade are friggin PS4 games.

Matt is acting like a bitter idiot at this point.

Hell even the stupid portal sold out within minutes ( now 90% of them are in Facebook marketplace begged to be sold but still, it was sold out within minutes ).

this I can still preorder one at any store I want in Canada.

Sony doesn't seem to understand what is a home console is at this point. they are 200$ cheaper from a PC with 4070 and want people to pay for it. clearly they want to make a profit from each unit they are selling and not absorb the cost of the box by Plus and games sales.

This Pro is going to fail so bad. most of the devs will just do a lazy-ass job as a Pro upgrade just to get their game on the store as its a requirement to have a pro version released. as if we need more lazy devs.

XXL

Chappelles Show GIF

RPCGamer

This Pro is going to fail so bad. most of the devs will just do a lazy-ass job as a Pro upgrade just to get their game on the store as its a requirement to have a pro version released. as if we need more lazy devs.

I want it too. The direction consoles are going in with the high price point, development costs and time are making them a really hard sell in my opinion.

Last edited:
development costs and time are making them a really hard sell in my opinion.
My suggestion is just don't buy them anymore. You seem to be under the impression that people are buying consoles because it's a good deal. That is true for some but I guarantee you the bulk of the console audience is people who just want something that is plug and play and that's it. The PS market has already been shown to be mostly famalies who make $100k+. This community could easily by a gaming PC they simply don't want it. Hell I spent a majority of my team building and playing on PCs I no longer want to do that anymore.

Astray

And ran away.

Don't worry, though. He will appear in another thread soon, trying to take a subtle dump on PlayStation or a PlayStation Studios game. Right now, he is busy shitting in the Astrobot thread.

Then he will preach how everyone is a warrior here and should be banned, but not him. :messenger_heart:
He has 20 PS5s that he plays Astro Bot on simulateneously he can't be anti-Sony.

//DEVIL//

Whoever expected the Pro to sell out in the US at least wasn't talking to the right people
I am sorry but that is not true ( the tweet not you, what you said is correct, its not going to sell out at all. but for the wrong reasons.)

the PS4 was sold out for months. Just because Sony allocated some units for in-store availability on day 1 doesn't mean they were available on day one to everyone to walk in and just buy one. Ahmad is just a shitty chill and smoking crack.

and premium products don't mean high prices always. you can have a premium product with a decent price. this console is just way overpriced. We want it. most of us going to buy it. but we are a minority.

4090 was sold out within minutes for months. and that is 1600+ minimum if you are lucky for FE.

PS5 Pro is just an overpriced console that should have been 600$ max. with no killer game to support it. and most of the upgrades are barely decent.

Last edited:

RPCGamer

My suggestion is just don't buy them anymore. You seem to be under the impression that people are buying consoles because it's a good deal. That is true for some but I guarantee you the bulk of the console audience is people who just want something that is plug and play and that's it. The PS market has already been shown to be mostly famalies who make $100k+. This community could easily by a gaming PC they simply don't want it. Hell I spent a majority of my team building and playing on PCs I no longer want to do that anymore.
It's not so much the consoles I have an issue with. I like them, but it's more the direction the top end of the industry is heading in. Digital Foundry went into that with the whole "PS2 Flavour" topic. As a result of chasing the big graphical open world 100+ hour titles, we've lost a lot of titles of medium size (once were considering big) that interested me. As a result, I'm on a mid PC playing indie mostly. Thankfully, indie is doing an amazing job.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I am sorry but that is not true ( the tweet not you, what you said is correct, its not going to sell out at all. but for the wrong reasons.)

the PS4 was sold out for months. Just because Sony allocated some units for in-store availability on day 1 doesn't mean they were available on day one to everyone to walk in and just buy one. Ahmad is just a shitty chill and smoking crack.

and premium products don't mean high prices always. you can have a premium product with a decent price. this console is just way overpriced. We want it. most of us going to buy it. but we are a minority.

4090 was sold out within minutes for months. and that is 1600+ minimum if you are lucky for FE.

PS5 Pro is just an overpriced console that should have been 600$ max. with no killer game to support it. and most of the upgrades are barely decent.
I disagree with literally everything you said when comparing the 4090 vs the pro but its cool, we are allowed to have different views :)

twilo99

Gold Member
I've been really impressed with Geoff Keighley's work as well... he kinda makes this Tom Warren character look like an amateur

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony will make enough to meet their estimated demand. The PS Portal sold out because Sony underestimated demand (smartly so).

Whether the Pro sells well or not is anyone's guess, but it's not out of the question to assume the price point will have an impact on how well it does. Especially in this economy.

Of course the price point will have an impact. That's obvious. But will it have an impact to the point where it just doesn't sell at all is the question. And that's what Tom is leading people to believe.

mckmas8808

Anyone wanna take bets that the PS5 Pro will outsell one of the Xbox Series consoles in November?

Weird that people seem to think this is such a horrible bet idea to be honest.

It would be one hell of an embarrassment for Sony if it doesn't outsell series consoles in its launch month. That's not a good bet imo

If the PS5 Pro outsells the Xbox Series consoles in America in November that will be a HUUUUUGE problem for Microsoft. Lets cut the crap man. The new Call of Duty comes out one week before the PS5 Pro. And it's "FREE" on GamePass. Again cut the crap.

So does Matt have data to counter Tom's point or is he just getting butt hurt for some strange reason....over a plastic box?

Damn bro, stop being so clearly a console warrior on this topic. You're smarter than this!

mckmas8808

I want it too. The direction consoles are going in with the high price point, development costs and time are making them a really hard sell in my opinion.

ALL electronic device cost are going up. It's not just consoles. How can you people not understand this? Hasn't it been clear the last 3 years?

How is it possible for someone to be so wrong on every sentence they type like this? Do you sir know the supply amount of the PS5 Pro?

I still haven’t seen any takers

You won't because they are scared and know the PS5 Pro has a good choice of outselling the Xbox Series console in the USA in November. And they know what that means if it does.

RPCGamer

ALL electronic device cost are going up. It's not just consoles. How can you people not understand this? Hasn't it been clear the last 3 years?
I do get it. You know what Sony should have done? Fitted that into the equation of unnecessarily bringing a product to the market.

Topher

Gold Member
Whoever expected the Pro to sell out in the US at least wasn't talking to the right people

I really had no clue either way, but I wasn't going to chance it and so I was here like everyone else waiting in a queue trying to get in to buy one. Turned out to be a waste of time. I've actually cancelled my preorder on PS Direct and I'm going to order from Best Buy instead once that goes live so I can take advantage of my cash back rewards.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
If the PS5 Pro outsells the Xbox Series consoles in America in November that will be a HUUUUUGE problem for Microsoft. Lets cut the crap man. The new Call of Duty comes out one week before the PS5 Pro. And it's "FREE" on GamePass. Again cut the crap.
Comparing the launch month sales of a new console to existing consoles is apples to oranges

fallingdove

for a Playstation console not to be sold out within minutes ( a high-end console too ) doesn't sound really good. and the price is a big factor to this. not to mention there is no killer app too. Half of the games they showed with a little upgrade are friggin PS4 games.

Hell even the stupid portal sold out within minutes ( now 90% of them are in Facebook marketplace begged to be sold but still, it was sold out within minutes ).

Sony doesn't seem to understand what is a home console is at this point. they are 200$ cheaper from a PC with 4070 and want people to pay for it. clearly they want to make a profit from each unit they are selling and not absorb the cost of the box by Plus and games sales.

No — Tom is definitely wrong.

This is a mid-gen upgrade with a very specific target audience in the same way a Bravia XR isn’t meant to be their top selling line of TVs. Casual fans of the PlayStation ecosystem will not be purchasing this SKU and to paint the launch as a failure because every unit wasn’t sold makes zero sense, especially when we don’t know the total volume sold or what Sony’s margins were.

In terms of developer support, it’s obvious that Cerny and team designed it to make it as easy for developers to take advantage of its bells and whistles as possible. Who gives a shit if developers aren’t spending an inordinate amount of time optimizing for the pro — Sony will, and their titles are typically the graphical benchmarks on consoles anyway.

I’ll probably pick up the console at some point and as long as I have access to higher fidelity and a more stable frame rate, it will be worth it to me.

//DEVIL//

How is it possible for someone to be so wrong on every sentence they type like this? Do you sir know the supply amount of the PS5 Pro?

You won't because they are scared and know the PS5 Pro has a good choice of outselling the Xbox Series console in the USA in November. And they know what that means if it does.
I do remember the PS4 pro was sold out when it was released. granted not for wrong. but during that holiday ? yeah it was sold out and was hard to find in most of stores. at least the first couple of weeks if i am not mistaken.

The PS5 pro isnt the case ( as of now, it very well be by the time its release ).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

PS4 Pro was $399. Was it sold out in pre-orders? Or was it available walk-in on day one in stores?

There's your answer.

mckmas8808

I do get it. You know what Sony should have done? Fitted that into the equation of unnecessarily bringing a product to the market.

So because the PS5 Pro isn't sold out during the first week of preorders being available, Sony shouldn't have made the PS5 Pro at all?

Comparing the launch month sales of a new console to existing consoles is apples to oranges

- The Xbox Series console will have the new Call of Duty come out one week before the PS5 Pro releases
- The new COD is on Gamepass "For Free". Remember the tag line "Best deal in gaming"?
- November is the beginning of Holiday shopping. Surely you'd expect the Xbox Series consoles to sell more in November than they do in August, right?

Clearly, Sony made this console to make a profit on each unit sold. Ahmad didn't move the goalpost. Sony did.

But the question is......did Sony move the goalpost by making more PS5 Pros available?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If PS5 Pro would have sold out before pre-orders went live at retail that would have been a big problem, The console release in November & pre-orders go live for retailers October 10th in what world was it supposed to be sold out by now?
No idea, but Sony evidently haven't sold out of the number they've decided to sell direct.

So...

This world?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You are the one that drudged it up again in the Astro Bot thread and start crying about it. But once again, you are playing the victim.

I'd missed you quote me so I thought it would be polite to respond once I caught the message.

It's all good, just all of you please leave me alone and I will go play games. Cheers xxxx

Why would anyone expect a mid-gen refresh that costs $700 to be sold out when it's mainly only available online right now AND we have no idea how many they've made? There are no shortages going on right now that would impact production.

Top Bottom