• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Piscatella reply to Tom Warren: Just stick to hyping AI crap no one wants instead of opining on perceived “Bad PS5 Pro early sales”

Loope

Burn GIF by MOODMAN

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Have we decided the post is meant to be negative just because Tom posted it? If Matt had posted what Tom did, using the exact same words it would be taken as a positive.

I don’t understand how Tom’s post has an interpretation other than, this is great you won’t struggle to find a PS5 Pro this holiday, scalpers didn’t manage to get them all.
Because we know how Tom is and how he operates. His post history tells us all about how this post was to be interpreted.

JaksGhost

Looks like the $700 price point will mean this console will be readily available this holiday
I know people aren’t acting dense when this was very much a dig and insinuating poor preorders since it’s not sold out. All he had to say was that the PS5 Pro is still available for preorders, but no let me add on one more thing to fuel the fire again. He thinks we’re back in 2020 when consoles were supply constrained.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

You're going to get shit for this comment but you're right. It would be scalped for this amount anyway. Just like the PS5 launch was. In this world, reseller prices are a better indicator of value than people complaining on the internet
If you ensure you have zero supply constraints, then scalpers are fucked anyway. Price doesn't have to be the factor, just supply.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Don't expect them to cut the price at all. 2 TB vs 1 TB is a separate decision and I think if they went with 1 they would have cut the price.

Blame MS for doing a 2 TB model.
1TB for a Pro model is not really "Pro." It would fit everything else about this console, though.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
God these new media people get triggered so easily. While I am not a big fan of Tom, he only stated facts in his tweet.

Tom has a track record and the implications in his tweet are clear and if it turns out that the PS5 Pro hasn't sold out because Sony simply has ample supply chain for it and it sells 4 million units this fiscal year, you're not going to see Tom Warren bring up its sales after the fact.

He likes to take pot shots at Sony. Simple as that.

Tom has a track record and the implications in his tweet are clear and if it turns out that the PS5 Pro hasn't sold out because Sony simply has ample supply chain for it and it sells 4 million units this fiscal year, you're not going to see Tom Warren bring up its sales after the fact.

He likes to take pot shots at Sony. Simple as that.

He also takes shots at other sports teams, players, and products on Twitter, so what? People take things too seriously.

FrankWza

If you ensure you have zero supply constraints, then scalpers are fucked anyway. Price doesn't have to be the factor, just supply.
Yes, but demand would be far greater at a lower price. If this console was $600 -$650 and had a disc drive it wouldn't be easy to get through the holidays. You also can't make too many consoles. There is value in demand exceeding supply. People want what they can't have or what is difficult to get. I guarantee if it sells out preorders once retailers begin there will be a rush of people who are on the fence start to try and secure one.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
He also takes shots at other sports teams, players, and products on Twitter, so what? People take things too seriously.

Or or or... we can stop promoting people who push a negative agenda just to generate views and clicks... and try to restore some positivity to gaming.

Everyone thinks that what's wrong in the industry is the lack of e3, the amount of hate campaigns we get across gaming for systems and games is a big reason why people aren't enjoying things anymore. They're conditioning themselves to be skeptical and cynical.

There are legitimate problems in gaming, that could potentially be tackled if we didn't have a parasitic gaming journalism that has largely shifted to influencers aka shills.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Because we know how Tom is and how he operates. His post history tells us all about how this post was to be interpreted.
It is a dig but I take it more as a dig at the price because he isn't wrong and maybe if it was priced at $500 or possibly $600 it does sell out

I really don't take his tweet as a shot as the pro isn't a success because no one wants it, I way more take it as its overpriced at $700

King Dazzar

Yes, but demand would be far greater at a lower price. If this console was $600 -$650 and had a disc drive it wouldn't be easy to get through the holidays. You also can't make too many consoles. There is value in demand exceeding supply. People want what they can't have or what is difficult to get. I guarantee if it sells out preorders once retailers begin there will be a rush of people who are on the fence start to try and secure one.
True, but as I say if supply isnt an issue... There might be some sales tactic going on with wanting to have stock shortages. But unusual for me and I think an unlikely plan. Of all the numerous NPI/new product introduction projects I've worked on, across multiple sectors - I've never tried to purposely be out of stock. Infact its always the opposite. Sales teams usually over state the expected demand figures, so that supply chain is over filled. As they want to ensure all of their region targets are met and never limited by supply chain. I could believe them using the limited edition to create excitement/interest though.

We dont know the figures, but Sony may well simply be very well stocked and its only that reason why pre orders haven't seen stock outs. Interesting one to see once figures come in...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It is a dig but I take it more as a dig at the price because he isn't wrong and maybe if it was priced at $500 or possibly $600 it does sell out

I really don't take his tweet as a shot as the pro isn't a success because no one wants it, I way more take it as its overpriced at $700

600 with a disk drive and stand = im rushing to preorder - 700 with disk drive and stand and Im day one but a little apprehensive. £830 with disk drive and stand and they can suck my cock! lol

FrankWza

True, but as I say if supply isnt an issue... There might be some sales tactic going on with wanting to have stock shortages. But unusual for me and I think an unlikely plan. Of all the numerous NPI/new product introduction projects I've worked on, across multiple sectors - I've never tried to purposely be out of stock. Infact its always the opposite. Sales teams usually over state the expected demand figures, so that supply chain is over filled. As they want to ensure all of their region targets are met and never limited by supply chain. I could believe them using the limited edition to create excitement/interest though.

We dont know the figures, but Sony may well simply be very well stocked and its only that reason why pre orders haven't seen stock outs. Interesting one to see once figures come in...
I don't think they are purposefully shorting but they are ordering in line with what the expected demand will be after ps4 pro and the higher price of the PS5 pro. But any shot of that crazy demand went out the door when they priced it where they did. I think they are happier to take the higher margin and have a few on the shelves vs slimmer margins and have scalpers make the profit on a higher price. If they somehow manage to have this item sell out at this price they really hit a on every angle. But I want mine, like yesterday

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I see it slightly differently.

Now that more analysis and videos have come out, it has become clear that Pro is indeed a very powerful console, equivalent to 4070 (which itself costs $550), with additional RT tech that's not even available in the PC market yet.

In absolute numbers, Pro is freakin' expensive. But if we look at the power it is offering, it is not expensive. It is just a powerful piece of HW. With that in mind, I don't think a journalist like Tom, who can see this nuance, should be taking digs at Pro's price either.

Last edited:

XXL

600 with a disk drive and stand = im rushing to preorder - 700 with disk drive and stand and Im day one but a little apprehensive. £830 with disk drive and stand and they can suck my cock! lol

You're hilarious.

Give me locked games at 60 fps and minimum 1440p with the bells and whistles and I'm happy. Something I thought ps5 would offer but I'm in acceptance now.

Plus who doesn't like buying new hardware. Like I keep reiterating, make it 799 and a banger.
Michael Jordan Lol GIF

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I dunno that tweet by Tom Warren seems pretty neutral/stating an observation.

My personal take is that PS5 Pro will sell less than PS4 Pro. Probably under 10M units total.

The only exception to this is if they have some sort of significant discounts on it. But even then I feel by the time that seriously happens PS6 could be around the corner and people will hold off.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I see it slightly differently.

Now that more analysis and videos have come out, it has become clear that Pro is indeed a very powerful console, equivalent to 4070 (which itself costs $550), with additional RT tech that's not even available in the PC market yet.

In absolute numbers, Pro is freakin' expensive. But if we look at the power it is offering, it is not expensive. It is just a powerful piece of HW. With that in mind, I don't think a journalist like Tom, who can see this nuance, should be taking digs at Pro's price either.
Oh without a doubt I personally think its a great machine for the price and I have been on the 4070 real world performance for a very long time though its not fair its what I was directly told a year ago so not really any foreshadowing on my part

And Tom knew 100% what he was doing and these guys then like to throw up their hands and act all innocent and call others console warriors

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Ps4pro was often hard to find. Not sure if it was a supply problem or demand. But it wasn’t “easily” found throughout its life cycle.
It was available everywhere at launch. Hell I even managed to get a 500M limited edition when it came out without an issue, and they only ever made 50k of those.
Scarcity happened during Covid proper - but that wasn't just PS4Pro.

Ozriel

M$FT
Tom knows what he's up to with the insinuation, which is why Matt responded the way he did. Just my 2 cents.

It’s not an ‘insinuation’ if he’s outright saying he thinks it hasn’t sold out because of the price.

We’re in partially uncharted waters here, and it might not be fully accurate to use the Pro as an analogue since the Pro launched at $399.

I suspect we’ll know much more after this holiday.

Making $200?

They break even on their base PS5s.

$450 + $100 for an extra TB is $550

Now add more expensive GPU, higher cost power supply, cooling, and WiFi…Even assuming all that is only $50 (it’s probably closer to $100), that’s only $100 margin on a $700 product, or 14%. Not exactly highway robbery and pretty competitive when stacked against other consumer electronics margins

The $599 Series X is much more of a “shafting”

So $100 for an extra 1TB is fine in one case, but ‘shafting’ when it’s the product you don’t like?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Same CPU as a PS5 is not what I consider a banger. You can try your Gotchas. but when I said make next gen a banger at 799 I mean it. 3D cache CPU etc.

You guys are too funny man. looool
No, you literally said "60 FPS at 1440p". And Pro has already proven it's doing more than that - while costing $100 less than what you were willing to pay.

This is pure hypocrisy, no matter how you try to cover it now.

Rockman33

When the marching orders are out to the shills, the herd of sheeps blindly follows. The ps4 pro was not hard to find, stop making shit up.
It’s hard to argue with an arrogant god. But as I said before. They were not always readily available on shelves. Not sure what the pre orders were like because I didn’t participate.

It seems to have sold out initially and then restocked. Perhaps Sony is adjusting its manufacturing capacity in real-time based on demand? It recently took great efforts to ramp up PS5 production and can apparently produce a whole console in 30 seconds.

I'd bet they're just adjusting how many they're making rather trying to goad the market with false scarcity.
That sounds about right. It might be selling at just about what they expected at a $700 price. I still think the availability shows the demand isn't strong, though.

Last edited:

XXL

Same CPU as a PS5 is not what I consider a banger. You can try your Gotchas. but when I said make next gen a banger at 799 I mean it. 3D cache CPU etc.

You guys are too funny man. looool
Morning Way GIF

Give me locked games at 60 fps and minimum 1440p with the bells and whistles and I'm happy. Something I thought ps5 would offer but I'm in acceptance now.

Plus who doesn't like buying new hardware. Like I keep reiterating, make it 799 and a banger.

What you wanted
- 1440p 60fps with bells and whistles for 799.

What we got - 4K 60fps with RT for 699.

Now its the CPU....
why you always lying noragami aragoto GIF

onQ123

I bet quite a few warriors are sad that it hasn't sold out though. I am certain that the expectation from many fans was that it was going to sell out. That's presumably why Tom Warren isn't allowed to comment on it, because the truth is upsetting to a small but intense group of people.

Strange that Piscatella is weighing in though.

The best thing is that Piscatella criticises Warren's hyping of "AI crap" when the PS5 pro makes image enhancements... ...Through AI.

Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

If PS5 Pro would have sold out before pre-orders went live at retail that would have been a big problem, The console release in November & pre-orders go live for retailers October 10th in what world was it supposed to be sold out by now?

Topher

Gold Member

That's why I think Mat overreacted in his response. Doesn't take some expert analysis from Circana to conclude that the Pro will be widely available going forward. Isn't the first time I've seen Mat react this way to others. To be blunt, Mat Piscatella can be a dick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom