• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mawaru! Made in Wario Impressions

Fowler

Awesome. Just awesome.

Starts out a bit slow, getting you used to the controls with a couple of characters' worth of games that ONLY use the tilt function (no A button), then a set of games that only use the A button, before giving you the whole thing with both. Lots of wacko and fun games, like ironing a shirt, putting earmuffs on a woman, finding the empty toilet stall for someone who wants to pee REALLY BADLY, etc. Tons of fun, it's great to finally play another Made in Wario where you're thrust into the game and you have NO IDEA what to do (since I memorised the original games at least a year ago :p).

I'm about halfway through and I only have a couple of complaints. Firstly, the character cinematics go on WAY too long. Secondly, it is a bit on the easy side because I've breezed right through it. And thirdly because there seem to be a couple more characters, there seem to be fewer games per character.

Oh, there are also TONS of unlockable extras here, everything from "minigames" (think Paper Plane or Jump Forever from the first one) to... hell, I don't know what to call this: You get a vinyl record and you can play it by twirling your GBA at just the right speed.

One last thing: Remember the nose-picking game? It's back as a boss, and it freaking rules :)

Meier

I NEED THIS GAME. So tempted to import as I have yet to hear confirmation that the GBA sequel is coming out in America (you'd think it would but nothing's ever certain with Nintendo)... the NDS version is on NoA and EB's site though.

Rlan

Any idea on if there are unlockables in the vein of Dr. Wario and Fly Swatter from the original?

Is 8Volt back with classic Nintendo related bits and pieces? What happens in those? Who pops up?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
evilromero said:
Poor Wario Ware. Already showing its age. The series has been whore out like crazy so it's expected.

What?

Yeah, what are 8-volt games this time? I assume he should be back with his theme since I saw some NES games in the commerical. How is the Super Mario Bros. 3 microgame handled?

I wish I had money to burn to import this sucker :(

Fowler

I haven't unlocked 9-Volt (and his counterpart 18-Volt) yet at the halfway stage, so I can't say there. And there are something like 10 slots for unlockable games (like Dr. Wario, Jump Forever etc) and I've only got two so far: A "counting sheep" game and a ski jump.

And yeah, I didn't realise impressions like "Awesome!" actually mean "Tired and showing its age".

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Another question: have you encountered any microgames that require light Japanese reading? Like in the first one, you had to know some simple English to get past that one RPG-ish boss. Anything like that in this one?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It is my understanding that Wario Ware DS will be ready for the Japanese DS launch. And if so, I can't imagine how hard it would be to get it ready in time for a US DS launch only 2 weeks prior. Perhaps the reason Wario Ware DS isn't slated to hit anytime soon here is in anticipation of a Wario Ware 2 GBA release prior?

We can hope. Thanks for the impressions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how about DS? Those cards are surely too small for a tilt sensor.

Wonder if it secretly has one built in?

Kon Tiki

Banned
mrklaw said:
how about DS? Those cards are surely too small for a tilt sensor.

Wonder if it secretly has one built in?

I think Nintendo is trying to keep them seperate.

GBA Wario Ware = Tilt
DS WarioWare = Touch/Voice
GCN Wario Ware = Multiplayer.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Eh, Wario Ware DS and Mawaru Made in Wario are different games. Wario Ware DS has no tilt sensor

cvxfreak

Sawaru!! Made in Wario is the DS one, and focuses on stylus gameplay, so it won't have the tilt sensor. Mawaru!! Made in Wario is the GBA one, with the tilt sensor.

I'm hoping that the two games display some sort of connectivity similar to that of Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Dash and Pokemon Emerald.

Mejilan

WTF is Pokemon Pearl/Dash/Diamond?

Did I miss something during the week I've put myself in a media blackout? (I thought I already caught up on Nintendo's Gamer Summit)

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mejilan said:
WTF is Pokemon Pearl/Dash/Diamond?

Did I miss something during the week I've put myself in a media blackout? (I thought I already caught up on Nintendo's Gamer Summit)
Pokemon Pearl/Diamond NintendooDS RPG
Pokemon Pearl Dash NintendooDS racing game (compatible with GBA Pokemons)

Mejilan

They've already announced 'Pokemon 4'?? I can't believe I missed it. Any details? Any screens?

I think I saw Pokemon Dash (ugly-ish top down view of Pikachu drifting towards the earth on a balloon, then landing and running in some direction?) in a DS demo reel. How, exactly, will it be compatabile with the GBA rpgs?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If you have Pokemon Emerald in the DS at the same time as Pokemon Dash, then a new course is opened up in Dash. Rather basic connectivity.

And Pearl/Diamond were revealed in Nintendo's full game list at their Japanese site, alongside other surprises like Magical Vacation 2.

Mejilan

Interesting, thanks for the heads up! I would have thought (inevitable as it seemed) that a Pokemon RPG announcement for the DS would have created more buzz.

Fowler

Wario64: Spoke too soon, I found a quiz game :p It came in one of Wario's games... it was pretty cool because the whole thing was set against a clock, not individual games. You start out with 20 seconds to beat 15 games, with two (or so) seconds added each time you successfully complete a game. It's actually fairly stressful because you basically HAVE to finish every single game, you can't just fail, wait the 3-4 seconds for the game to end, lose a life and move on -- you can easily waste all 20 seconds while you figure out just what the hell you have to do.

There's no chance that the DS version has a tilt sensor -- the thing is HUGE. The box for Mawaru! is the same width and length of a GBA box but two to three times as thick. The sensor bulges out of the bottom and when you lay it against the GBA SP it's actually thicker than the unit itself (when closed, too).

Also, I forgot to mention that it has a rumble feature built in. It's great because it provides good feedback... for instance, when selecting between two options (EVERYTHING uses the tilt sensor) it rumbles when you're selecting a new option. It's a good indicator that you've tilted it enough to trigger the next option.

The speed that you're tilting it also matters for some games, it's not just about moving it up and down. So for a game where you need to flick an object on a spring so it launches itself you've got to really flick the GBA quickly, whereas with a putting game you need a smooth, steady stroke to lay the ball in. Oh, and for one game, I actually had to turn the GBA SP so far I was holding it upside down.

Oh and um, I figure this is semi-obvious but just to avoid the question later: I haven't tried it in a GBA (not SP) to see whether that's easier/works better etc but there is a brief screen at the beginning that looks an awful lot like a "hold the GBA straight so we can calibrate the tilt" screen, which is probably necessary considering the cart faces down on a GBA SP and up on both a GBA and DS.

And no, I haven't tried playing it in a GB Player, though it does fit all the way in so it IS possible (and naturally it bulges out so damned much your GC will be leaning backwards).

cvxfreak

Pokemon Dash will also draw your Pokemon team in Emerald over to the DS Dash game and you can do... stuff with them.

Mejilan

That's cool. I was wondering how it was going to handle different system orientations.

Dan

Mejilan said:
Interesting, thanks for the heads up! I would have thought (inevitable as it seemed) that a Pokemon RPG announcement for the DS would have created more buzz.
From what I've seen most sites haven't even caught on or if they have the announcement has just been given one line in a larger news story. Here on GAF it's been discussed a bit here and there, but there's not much to say about it, other than speculate about how far away it is and whether it'll connect with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

cvxfreak

I'm personally glad Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green all connect with Pokemon Pearl and Diamond; otherwise there'd be hell breaking lose with the 4 million people who bought FR/LG.

Dan

That's hardly confirmed though, right? I mean, it's pretty damned likely given that Emerald is used with Dash! and the simple fact that you can have a DS and GBA game in at the same, but I don't think it's confirmed.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It really depends if the GBA games have to have hooks built in for DS connecting. If they don't need that, and you just have to build it into the DS games, no problem. But if the GBA game needs to be built for it, some of the older games (Ruby and Sapphire in particular) might be a problem.

Meier

Any chance you can take a picture of the game inside the SP, Fowler? Curious to see exactly how big this thing is.

jarrod

Banned
Fowler said:
There's no chance that the DS version has a tilt sensor -- the thing is HUGE. The box for Mawaru! is the same width and length of a GBA box but two to three times as thick. The sensor bulges out of the bottom and when you lay it against the GBA SP it's actually thicker than the unit itself (when closed, too).

Also, I forgot to mention that it has a rumble feature built in. It's great because it provides good feedback... for instance, when selecting between two options (EVERYTHING uses the tilt sensor) it rumbles when you're selecting a new option. It's a good indicator that you've tilted it enough to trigger the next option.
Hmm, sounds expensive.... I get the feeling NOA's gonna pass on all these tilt sensor games (Wario Ware Twist, Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, etc). :/

Mejilan

They released a couple of rumble GBC games here. And wasn't there a tilt GBC game too?

jarrod

Banned
Wario64 said:
Eh, Wario Ware DS and Mawaru Made in Wario are different games. Wario Ware DS has no tilt sensor
It's also worth noting that they're being done by slightly different teams...

R&D1
-Wario Ware
-Wario Ware Twist

R&D1 & IntSys
-Wario Ware GC
-Wario Ware DS

jarrod

Banned
Mejilan said:
They released a couple of rumble GBC games here. And wasn't there a tilt GBC game too?

Wario64 said:
This game better come to the states :|

Yeah, they released Pokemon Pinball & Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble on GBC... but both came before GBA released and neither had GBA sequels already announced. With a DS Wario Ware on the horizon, I see NOA just passing over this relatively expensive experimental release. Same with Yoshi's Universal Gravitation being passed over for Yoshi's Touch & Go.... face it, NOA sucks. You know it's gonna happen. :/

Mama Smurf

I don't think NOA have yet passed up a GBA game because of technology (though I might be wrong), so I wouldn't worry about it. Not for that reason anyway.

jarrod

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
I don't think NOA have yet passed up a GBA game because of technology (though I might be wrong), so I wouldn't worry about it. Not for that reason anyway.
Not just technology but also related DS games being just around the corner. NOA's got plenty of other GBA games to fill in their schedule anyway...

-Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
-Donkey Kong: King of Swing
-Mario Advance Tennis
-Fire Emblem II
-Custom Robo Advance
-F-Zero Climax
-Pokemon Emerald Version
-Classic NES Series 3
-Mother 3

Speaking of NOA suckage, why the fuck hasn't Fire Emblem: Seima no Kouseki have an official announcement/date yet? You fuckers (NOA) better not be forgetting about the series. NO EXCUSES! OVER 300 000 SOLD!

Mejilan

jarrod said:
-Mario Advance Tennis
-Fire Emblem II
-Custom Robo Advance
-F-Zero Climax
-Pokemon Emerald Version
-Classic NES Series 3
-Mother 3

Your list would look so much better with Yoshi Gravitation and Wario Ware 2 there. Yep.

Fuck, I'd say WarioWare and Yoshi'd have a better chance than Mother 3. You know, remember, the series that Miyamoto said would never see western shores again? Course, I'd love to be wrong.

Mejilan

For that matter, didn't Custom Robo for the GBA come out 2 years ago in Japan? They can't only NOW be considering bringing it out here. Especially considering how fucking terrible the GCN game wound up being.

jarrod

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Fuck, I'd say WarioWare and Yoshi'd have a better chance than Mother 3. You know, remember, the series that Miyamoto said would never see western shores again? Course, I'd love to be wrong.
Yeah... I see pretty much everything on my list but Mother 3 showing up here in 2005. Rare will probably have a GBA DKC3 port ready next fall as well... I'm still super doubtfull about any US tilt games though.

Mama Smurf

jarrod said:
Not just technology but also related DS games being just around the corner. NOA's got plenty of other GBA games to fill in their schedule anyway...

-Mario Advance Tennis
-Fire Emblem II
-Custom Robo Advance
-F-Zero Climax
-Pokemon Emerald Version
-Classic NES Series 3
-Mother 3

Well I think it'd be very stupid of them, though it's possible given both factors. Those two games though, I'm almost certain would have a much bigger pull than Custom Robo and F-Zero for starters, possibly others too.

jarrod

Banned
Mejilan said:
For that matter, didn't Custom Robo for the GBA come out 2 years ago in Japan? They can't only NOW be considering bringing it out here. Especially considering how fucking terrible the GCN game wound up being.
That was Custom Robo GX... Custom Robo Advance is different (more mission/adventure/platform focused I believe).

jarrod

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
Well I think it'd be very stupid of them, though it's possible given both factors. Those two games though, I'm almost certain would have a much bigger pull than Custom Robo and F-Zero for starters, possibly others too.
Sure... and Yoshi is probably a guaranteed big seller. F-Zero might have some strong pull with the TV series though (Kirby saw a similar revitalization). Still, expensive custom carts + DS versions puts a big question mark over WarioWare & Yoshi imo.

Dan

Dragona Akehi said:
Speaking of NOA suckage, why the fuck hasn't Fire Emblem: Seima no Kouseki have an official announcement/date yet? You fuckers (NOA) better not be forgetting about the series. NO EXCUSES! OVER 300 000 SOLD!
Umm, NOA pretty much never discusses the next year's release schedule until the Christmas season is done with. Minish Cap is the only GBA game that they've given even a release window for next year. Every single other game is just 2005 or unannounced. It's just how they work.

I wouldn't really worry about Wario Ware 2 or Yoshi's Universal Gravitation coming over. Worst case scenario, they charge a little more like they did with the Pokemon games that came with a wireless cart. A Yoshi game is pretty much a guaranteed seller and the first Wario Ware sold pretty well, although I think that one's a bit more iffy.

Top Bottom