• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Just beat it.

I enjoyed it a lot.

Things I didn't like:
- Max's drinking had no bearing on the story really. Seemed pointless.
- Favela level didn't do anything for me.
- Fabiana and Marcelo going to the gang. Made no sense.
- Max wearing shorts at the end.

GenericUser

I rented it, played for like 5 or 6 hours. I pretty much stopped at this point and i honestly doubt that I will finish this game before I have to give it back. I liked the first two max payne games a lot, but this game, I don't know. The cuscenes are annoying as they seem to interrupt my gameplay ALL THE TIME. The story is so lame and they talk way to much! Isn't this supposed to be a run and gun game?

And then, max controls super clunky. If I press forward and the game does not want me to run, i have to walk. If someting explodes, i have to walk, If I get shot in the shoulder, I have to walk or crawl along a wall .... I know they do this on purpose, but I hate it. Also, the shootouts (so far) include way too much cover based shooting and not enough crazy bullettime action. It just seems to be so much more effectice just playing it gears of war style then to use the core element, which I believe the bullet time is still supposed to be.

For my taste, they definitly made the game way to "cinematic". Sorry.

MMaRsu

Its not more effective to play this gears style at all. Also in previous mp games there was a lot of talking as well. I LOVE that you can play as max payne from the first game and max from 2. This game man.

Here are my stats after finishing the game last night..

Deaths : 168
Headshots : 1353
Bullets Fired : 28211
Kills in Bullet Time : 1712
Kills While Blind Firing : 21
Kills While Shoot Dodging : 873
Kills While Crouching : 26
Kills While On Back : 22
Dual Wield : 758
Distance Traveled :40,226 m.
Last Stands Survived : 74
Time Spent In Cover : 59:26.293
Time Spent Prone : 18:28.633
Times Died While Prone : 11

I died a lot because I died quite a few times on purpose after a last stand. I played on medium and I finished it in 12 hours :).

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Got it on 360, im about 4 hours into the story, Anyone else finding the aiming really wonky? I cant find a decent setting for it.

Sidzed2

Got it on 360, im about 4 hours into the story, Anyone else finding the aiming really wonky? I cant find a decent setting for it.

Try turning off all assists, setting vertical to 7, horizontal to 7, and acceleration to 6. Your mileage may vary, but this works for me.

Oh, and obviously play with Free Aim.

Looking at the tracklist, MP3_CELLO THEME isn't part of the SE OST?

I hope I'm wrong or else Rockstar f'd up. I know you can download the track in high bitrate from their Soundcloud page, but still...

Emicida's track is pretty boss though.

5amshift

Banned
Just finished my first couple of games in multiplayer and they seem to have gone fine. Definitely went 2:1 in both deathmatch games after finding a good beginner loadout. Re-spawning is crazy fast which is good.

Gyrian

The nods to past Max Payne games kept making me smile.
Hotel Mona TV commercial, with Mona's MP2 voice actress!

The amount of detail and research that's gone into this is seriously impressive.
Lots of small treats for Brazillians. Voice acting is really quite good.
I couldn't believe it when Max was given a Guarana post head shaving, hah.

Random detail I noticed last night while playing Arcade mode:
The cars in the parking garage in Chapter I change color every time the level loads.
Makes me wonder what else is going on under the hood.

jet1911

Finished the game on Medium setting just now.

Deaths 118
Headshots 658
Bullets Fired 17572
Kills in Bullet Time 1242
Kills While Blind Firing 4
Kills While Shoot Dodging 290
Kills While Crouching 9
Kills While On Back 20
Dual Wield 209
Distance Traveled 27,174 m.
Last Stands Survived 69
Time Spent In Cover 01:20:26.431
Time Spent Prone 11:31.611
Times Died While Prone 4

Amazing game, can't wait for the PC version. :D

Okay so, some impressions...

- All of the button layouts are pretty awful. I don't see why the only layout with sprint on the left stick has to separate roll, cover and vault over three buttons.

- Aiming isn't too bad but it certainly takes some getting used to.

- Giving you the opportunity to stay alive when you have no ammo is just dumb. Leaves you standing there waiting to die which is quite tiresome when it does happen.

- Loading times are atrocious.

Okay so, some impressions...

- All of the button layouts are pretty awful. I don't see why the only layout with sprint on the left stick has to separate roll, cover and vault over three buttons.

- Aiming isn't too bad but it certainly takes some getting used to.

- Giving you the opportunity to stay alive when you have no ammo is just dumb. Leaves you standing there waiting to die which is quite tiresome when it does happen.

- Loading times are atrocious.

I refuse to believe that the game won’t let you skip a cut-scene because it loads. I mean at some points it says ‘still loading’ for like 5 minutes! -_-

Ridley327

I refuse to believe that the game won’t let you skip a cut0scene because it loads. I mean at some points it says ‘still loading’ for like 5 minutes! -_-

It takes like 20 seconds to load the main menu when you boot the game.

The main menu.

There are definitely some massive loading problems with the game.

GeoramA

Finally tried multiplayer. It's very well done.

Did rookie team deathmatch first and my team got slaughtered. Then rookie individual deathmatch and won :lol

Now I'm just looking at all the stuff you can unlock. Very impressed.

Also, has anybody else had a problem with achievements? I'm on Chapter IV and I've still on 0 Gamerscore.
I didn't get my first trophy until chapter 5 I think. They're definitely hard to come by in this game.

mujun

Played an hour of it then sold it off.

Not my idea of fun at all.

Wish it had regenerating health or more painkillers. As sponk mentioned the gameplay is far too chopped up with the over abundance of cutscenes. Either takes itself too seriously with its grittiness or its just trying to be too cool for its own good. Too many firefights are set in overly dark areas or with too many lights.

Quite disappointed and peeved at the 3000 yen hit.

Ridley327

Yeah, drives me mad..

Also, has anybody else had a problem with achievements? I'm on Chapter IV and I've still on 0 Gamerscore.

No, the achievements in general are pretty grindy, outside of the ones associated with the setpieces. It's entirely possible that your first achievement won't come until you complete chapter 5 (which ends Act 1).

Yeah, drives me mad..

No issues aside from finding an RPG and how to do 10 BT kills in a row. Your score isnt broken. You just actually have to put some work into getting them. They arent just handed out for bullshit accomplishments.

Fry

Yep, seems like the majority of Gaf didn't like this very much. I'd say 60/40.

Still can't wait to play it.

Wish it had regenerating health or more painkillers. As sponk mentioned the gameplay is far too chopped up with the over abundance of cutscenes. Either takes itself too seriously with its grittiness or its just trying to be too cool for its own good. Too many firefights are set in overly dark areas or with too many lights.

coleman_wtf.gif

colinfarrell3p6ca.gif

Sidzed2

Yep, seems like the majority of Gaf didn't like this very much. I'd say 60/40.

Still can't wait to play it.

Having been reading the thread, I don't think this is quite fair. At least 50/50, and indeed, this is a divisive game. Some amazing highs and some annoying lows. When this game is on, though, it's best in its class.

Sidzed2

^ game certainly doesn't need regenerating health (ugh), but I think Max is a tiny bit fragile. I would have liked him to be a bit more hardy to encourage use of shootdodge and bullet time.

I'd be interested to hear more critical analysis of the MP mechanics from people who play a lot of TPSes. I spent some time watching some different people play it on twitch.tv last night. One common theme I'm seeing is nearly everyone eschews the shotgun in favor of dual pistols or, in a few cases, an SMG or assault rifle. It's not an uncommon thing for people to do in any shooter, but it has me wondering if the shotgun really sucks that much in this game or if hardly anyone knows how to use it.

Other thoughts I remember having: Most of the animations seem very nice. The gunplay seems to be solid, and the sound effects are very authentic and beautiful. I wonder how cheesy the slow-mo mechanic feels. The UI could use some work; I didn't like the appearance of the health bar, wished the radar was a little bigger and not located in the bottom left. Overall, it doesn't feel like the best replacement for my current darlings of TPSing (LPC and LP2), but I'm looking to get MP3 eventually because I think it will be populated for a long time on the PC.

Ridley327

This is pretty common with most games aint it?

No, it's not, as there's an actual loading screen for the menu that occurs after you press start. I have no idea why they didn't think to load it during the legal info bits, since you can't skip those anyway. It's insane.

newsguy

Did any of the people who have problems with the game "trying to be cool" or "having cheesy writing" play the other games? This is part 3 of a series, if you don't know it's legacy, you don't "get it."

MMaRsu

You played..for an hour.. lol

Scuderia

Still, you can definitely tell Sam Lake didn't write on this one. Houser is still good, but no Lake.

Also, i think sometimes Mcaffrey puts too much emotion into the narration, i preffered the more monotone voice work of the first 2 games.

Did any of the people who have problems with the game "trying to be cool" or "having cheesy writing" play the other games? This is part 3 of a series, if you don't know it's legacy, you don't "get it."

The teenagers of this day and age can not comprehend what makes Max Payne 3 a perfect ending for a perfect trilogy. Mind you that I am commenting on the people who want this game to have ''health regeneration'' and feels that this game ''takes itself too serious'' with the story. I suggest people to keep playing Call of Duty if they want to step in without any skills and be blasting faces with relative ease. This game has a learning curve and if you do not have the time nor need to indulge yourself in that please sell the game and stop bitching about it.

Sidzed2

While I generally subscribe to the notion that one shouldn't have to play a game for more than half an hour to be drawn in, in the case of MP3 I don't think I can overstate how it grows on you over time. As you get uses to its mechanics, to the ebb and flow of its gun battles, it becomes more and more addictive.

mujun

I've seen my fair share of noir, this didn't do it well imo. I don't feel any need to play the previous games before forming my opinion.

I love official topics. They are reliably filled with people just spoiling for a chance to justify their purchase.

Should I spend more of my time doing something I don't enjoy (I've got plenty of games I'd rather play) just so people like you will take my comments more seriously? I'm not a game journalist reviewing the game.

If you keep dying, after a few tries the game will give you 1 or 2 more painkillers for you to try and push through.

Didn't know that. Wouldn't have changed my mind anyway. I put the difficulty down and still had to watch cutscenes over and over trying to get past certain points. If I enjoyed the game more I would have put in an effort to try different tactics and get better. Nothing really hooked me enough to make the effort though.

I've seen my fair share of noir, this didn't do it well imo. I don't feel any need to play the previous games before forming my opinion.

I love official topics. They are reliably filled with people just spoiling for a chance to justify their purchase.

Should I spend more of my time doing something I don't enjoy (I've got plenty of games I'd rather play) just so people like you will take my comments more seriously? I'm not a game journalist reviewing the game.

Didn't know that. Wouldn't have changed my mind anyway. I put the difficulty down and still had to watch cutscenes over and over trying to get past certain points. If I enjoyed the game more I would have put in an effort to try different tactics and get better. Nothing really hooked me enough to make the effort though.

You played for a fuckin hour dude. You dont know what the hell you are talking about. And what cutscenes did you HAVE to sit through over and over again an hour into it?

Sidzed2

You played for a fuckin hour dude. You dont know what the hell you are talking about. And what cutscenes did you HAVE to sit through over and over again an hour into it?

I agree, it's one thing to say you played an hour of a game and didn't enjoy it (fair enough), but shy of that you're not really qualified to judge the game's writing as a whole.

Top Bottom