• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

MMaRsu

I've seen my fair share of noir, this didn't do it well imo. I don't feel any need to play the previous games before forming my opinion.

I love official topics. They are reliably filled with people just spoiling for a chance to justify their purchase.

Should I spend more of my time doing something I don't enjoy (I've got plenty of games I'd rather play) just so people like you will take my comments more seriously? I'm not a game journalist reviewing the game.

Didn't know that. Wouldn't have changed my mind anyway. I put the difficulty down and still had to watch cutscenes over and over trying to get past certain points. If I enjoyed the game more I would have put in an effort to try different tactics and get better. Nothing really hooked me enough to make the effort though.

If youve played previous mp games you know what to expect.

cackhyena

I've seen my fair share of noir, this didn't do it well imo. I don't feel any need to play the previous games before forming my opinion.

You get to make a solid enough judgement on game play with an hour under your belt. If it's not for you, it's not for you and within an hour you've done most of what the game will offer. You don't get to say the game doesn't do noir well with so little time under your belt, guy.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I am currently at chapter V on this game and going through first time on hard. Even if the checkpoints are unforgiving, I am loving how fresh each battle is. The extra mechanics make this game an evolution for me and I find this game more harder than the previous two titles. Also the music is phenomenal, I've just left the game on the menu screen so I can hear the different variations of Max's theme alone. The game play in this game is just so good, I've not had much fun like this in a third person shooter for a while. It's good to see Max is back <3

Lol 1 hour. Can you skip cut scenes in this game btw? Cannot wait to pick this up for PC!!

Skipping cutscenes on the console versions is almost impossible because the loading is done within them. I am pretty sure it is possible on the PC version with the amount of RAM some people have.

Lol 1 hour. Can you skip cut scenes in this game btw? Cannot wait to pick this up for PC!!

Sometimes. The game loads the next area while the cutscene is being played. But it takes a long ass time to load anything. So you're really only going to be able to skip the really long cutscenes and then only about halfway through. Maybe PC will be faster.

mujun

You played for a fuckin hour dude. You dont know what the hell you are talking about. And what cutscenes did you HAVE to sit through over and over again an hour into it?

So, just to make sure that I understand exactly what you are saying. You have to play a certain amount of a game before you are allowed to comment on it at all?

It's pretty obvious (read, I'm not trying to hide the fact that I only put an hour into the game) where I am coming from. Things might have been different had I put more time in but that's beside the point. I didn't enjoy the hour so I stopped. That's my prerogative and I don't see how that excludes me from having an opinion.

Nemesis_

So, just to make sure that I understand exactly what you are saying. You have to play a certain amount of a game before you are allowed to comment on it at all?

It's pretty obvious (read, I'm not trying to hide the fact that I only put an hour into the game) where I am coming from. Things might have been different had I put more time in but that's beside the point. I didn't enjoy the hour so I stopped. That's my prerogative and I don't see how that excludes me from having an opinion.

I don't think it's fair to talk about the game after playing the opening hour and then CEASING all playing COMPLETELY. It just seems like you haven't played enough to form a proper, well-educated opjnion.

I'm only up to Chapter II for what it's worth. Not a HUGE FAN of the game trying to defend it or anything, just making a generalised statement.

Riggs

Banned

I didn't enjoy the first hour of top gun for nes. But you know what? I kept playing. And still never landed that fucking plane on the carrier. Not sure what my point was sorry.

That is like eating a hamburger and saying it tastes like 'shit' when you only took a bite from the bread and never even got to the juicy part.

I want this to be my favorite max payne game so bad but the clunky cover system makes me want to punch someone. I just finished the cubicle section of chapter 6 I think. I almost tossed my controller and said fuck it. I feel like I'm using bullet time to compensate for Max's clunky movement. Right now I'd have to put this game behind the second one as my favorite Max game

Finally scored "You Play You Pay You Bastard". Some of these trophs are damn picky. My melee grind was up to around 120 before the trophy popped. What you need are 100 actual cinematic melee kills. It wont count if you simply run up to a dude and finish him off by kicking him on the ground or whatnot. You need to see that finisher cutscene.

Also finally got "Through The Window". Those auto BT segments arent bad at all if you set the game to Easy. My settings are 777.

Finally scored "You Play You Pay You Bastard". Some of these trophs are damn picky. My melee grind was up to around 120 before the trophy popped. What you need are 100 actual cinematic melee kills. It wont count if you simply run up to a dude and finish him off by kicking him on the ground or whatnot. You need to see that finisher cutscene.

Also finally got "Through The Window". Those auto BT segments arent bad at all if you set the game to Easy. My settings are 777.

I managed to get this one through multi. Running around dual wielding revolvers with high movement speed allows me to just punch people in the head constantly.

edgefusion

Max sometimes comments about needing to hurry up, does this actually affect gameplay? I'd really like to stop and explore some of the environments and watch the animations loop but I don't want to end up failing a mission or getting a bad ending or something.

MercuryLS

Banned
Max sometimes comments about needing to hurry up, does this actually affect gameplay? I'd really like to stop and explore some of the environments and watch the animations loop but I don't want to end up failing a mission or getting a bad ending or something.

In a few missions if you run around too much you will fail the mission. I remember it happening 2 times. Basically if you're chasing someone you shouldn't look around too much.

Quikies83

Finished the game in 08:19:19

I definitely need to play through again and try and limit my time in cover...

medium difficulty:

Deaths: 53
Headshots: 438
Bullets Fired: 13265
Kills in Bullet Time: 452
Kills While Blind Firing: 2
Kills While Shoot Dodging: 126
Kills While Crouching: 2
Kills While On Back: 10
Dual Wield: 269
Distance Traveled: 27,824 M.
Last Stands Survived: 54
Time Spent in Cover: 02:14:13.827
Time Spent Prone: 04:47.926
Times Died While in Prone: 0

Montresor

I just beat the game on medium. Awesome, satisfying, and difficult even for medium mode. What an amazing ride.

Now for a hard run! Please don't kick my ass Max Payne 3.

edit:

Where do you guys get those stats? I'm guessing it has to be from the social club web site because I don't see any stats page in any of the menus. If it is the social club, how long do I need to wait for stats to update? I literally just beat the game and I'm watching credits as we speak.

If you can finish the game with less than 30 minutes spent in cover, then I consider that a success. If not, shows the game really was designed around cover rather than serving as a mere respite.

Didn't Vanquish reward you for not using cover?

mujun

played enough to form a proper, well-educated opjnion.

Where did I claim to have the above though. If people jumped down my throat under the assumption I was claiming to have an opinion based on seeing most of what the game has to offer they need to get their reading comp skills up.

They've obviously played more than me and are in turn far better informed about this game than myself. That isn't a prerequisite for posting in this thread though and neither should it make them think it's okay to throw civility out the window.

Derrick01

Banned
Finished the game in 08:19:19

I definitely need to play through again and try and limit my time in cover...

medium difficulty:

Deaths: 53
Headshots: 438
Bullets Fired: 13265
Kills in Bullet Time: 452
Kills While Blind Firing: 2
Kills While Shoot Dodging: 126
Kills While Crouching: 2
Kills While On Back: 10
Dual Wield: 269
Distance Traveled: 27,824 M.
Last Stands Survived: 54
Time Spent in Cover: 02:14:13.827
Time Spent Prone: 04:47.926
Times Died While in Prone: 0

Damn you finished in 8 hours even with all of that time in cover? That's disappointing to see it's so short. Now I regret preordering it on PC.

MMaRsu

If you can finish the game with less than 30 minutes spent in cover, then I consider that a success. If not, shows the game really was designed around cover rather than serving as a mere respite.

Old school mode takes out cover !

Also i finished in 12 hours and explored quite a bit only spent 1 hr in cover.

Play on the Old School difficulty. Cover AND Last Man Standing are disabled.

Montresor

Damn you finished in 8 hours even with all of that time in cover? That's disappointing to see it's so short. Now I regret preordering it on PC.

It looks like it's meant to be re-played over and over. And I'm gladly gonna do that. I just beat the game on medium. I also have to beat the game on hard, hardcore, old school, new york minute, and new york minute hardcore!

jet1911

I finished the game in 8h too and I only was in cover for one hour. The length of the game is perfect. Just long enough before it start getting redundant. It's not like the first two games were longuer than that anyway.

Gustav

Banned
I think it's official. I'm over linear shooters. This game bores me too much. I just want to get to the cinematics. The ridiculous checkpoints don't help either.

Derrick01

Banned
I finished the game in 8h too and I only was in cover for one hour. The length of the game is perfect. Just long enough before it start getting redundant. It's not like the first two games were longuer than that anyway.

Some of the people here had me believing it was more in the 12-15 range which I think is better for $60 and what will probably be 1 playthrough due to the linearity of it.

I think it's official. I'm over linear shooters. This game bores me too much. I just want to get to the cinematics. The ridiculous checkpoints don't help either.

This is what I fear every time I play a linear game now. But if it is fun I want it to be longer than 8 hours without artificially extending it by upping the difficulty or something like that.

Simo

Well here are my stats for beating the game on Medium.
TIME PLAYED: 11:10:51
DEATHS: 86
HEADSHOTS: 406
BULLETS FIRED: 21755
KILLS IN BULLET TIME: 1230
KILLS WHILE BLIND FIRING: 9
KILLS WHILE SHOOT DODGING: 263
KILLS WHILE CROUCHING: 8
KILLS WHILE ON BACK: 14
DUAL WIELD: 401
DISTANCE TRAVELED: 38,940 M.
LAST STANDS SURVIVED: 140
TIME SPENT IN COVER: 02:08:05.601
TIME SPENT PRONE: 11:48.228
TIMES DIED WHILE PRONE: 6

Even with over 11 hours in single player I still don't have all of the Golden Gun parts, I missed various clues and there's quite a few grinds I need to complete.

Of course then there's Arcade mode and Multiplayer... -_-

NySpeed

Damn... I'm loving this so far!! Its the story that makes me want to not stop playing. I'm on Chapter 8 now.... is the ending satisfying? I hate when a game has a good story at the beginning and just ends with a flat note (Mass Effect 3, Heavy Rain, Resistance 3 etc..)

Montresor

Story Mode Complete: Medium
Time Played: 10:24:32
Deaths: 95
Headshots: 794
Bullets Fired: 14380
Kills In Bullet Time: 996
Kills While Blind Firing: 0
Kills While Shoot Dodging: 218
Kills While Crouching: 27
Kills While On Back: 18
Dual Wield: 383
Distance Traveled: 30,495 m.
Last Stands Survived: 180
Time Spent In Cover: 01:05:42.392
Time Spent Prone: 13:19.202
Times Died While Prone: 5

Jb

Damn... I'm loving this so far!! Its the story that makes me want to not stop playing. I'm on Chapter 8 now.... is the ending satisfying? I hate when a game has a good story at the beginning and just ends with a flat note (Mass Effect 3, Heavy Rain, Resistance 3 etc..)

I'd say so, yes. It ends on a different note than MP1&2 too, which I liked.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just on Chapter 3 playing on Hard and I'm already raging. How bad is it gonna get in later chapters?

MMaRsu

I'm just on Chapter 3 playing on Hard and I'm already raging. How bad is it gonna get in later chapters?

Just start over on medium and replay it on hard if you are raging already. I just restarted on hard and im at chapter 3 now having only died once in chapter two.

jonno394

These stats on Medium are making me lol at my own playthrough/play style on hard.

I went straight in to Hard mode and I must be awful as I'm on Chapter 8 having played for around 5 hours; i've died 123 times and killed 1100 people so far, with 23 minutes spent in cover and half of my kills being in Bullet time.

The vast majority of the time i'm laughing while diving head first in slow motion into three guys while dual wielding an Uzi and a hand gun

Chapter 9 (I think) spoilers.
Poor Marcello - that was a horrible grisly way for him to go. A lot of characters dropping like flies now.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
you can reduce the difficulty at any time.

I can? Anyway, I got past that part. The game forces you to play smartly. I was thinking to finish it on Hard on my first playthrough and then Hardcore ;)

Tattooth

Fuck! I just had my first freeze playing multiplayer, I am pretty sure I had a 20 kill streak going as well.

EDIT: Anyone want to group up for this Xbox multiplayer event, my gamertag is BadNews Biscuit

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chapters 6-8 are great. I love how Max Payne has always turned these sorta regular environments into these inescapable mazes. It really feels like there is no way out of the most...simple things.

Top Bottom