• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Jarmel

Banned
wow...are you fucking kidding me? This game has some awful checkpoints, holy shit.
hotel roof, no painkillers, hardly any ammo, fucking roof is bucking all over, get to the top...dude with mg insta kills me....instead of having the checkpoint up there...it's back at the start.
Yea pretty much done for the night with this.

edit: lol and now I just fell through the map....fml

How do you not have any painkillers? I had like seven or eight at that point. They dump a shit-ton on you near the end.

Alright so I am a good 6 hours in on the xbox version, and all I have to say is that it lives up yo the hype and more.Multiplayer is interesting I need to give it more time, very hard when u start off you die constantly.

Was gonna hold back on double dipping on the PC version to crank it up, but now its a day 1 purchase.Its got one or two little problems but when you crank the volume and open a few beers its just freaking epic.A 9 out of 10 from me, and better than max payne two.

O and P.S I thought Disc swoping wouldn't be that bad but its balls.PS3 version might of been better.

Ridesh

Banned
Has there been any complaints about getting motion sickness while playing this? I've been playing games my whole life and have never experienced motion sickness until today playing it. I think the random "glitches" in the cutscenes is what did it for me.. also the flashing lights of the club and helicopter movement in the beginning. But man I feel so nauseous

I'm getting motion sickness right now, but I can't stop playing, game's too good :lol:

i swear, i just have 3 issues with this game.

1.) my level keeps restarting.
2.) i can never load the crews tab (to see the members)
3.) there is always one guy in MP, that lags so bad. he/she just runs around. doesnt shoot, doesnt do anything... just... runs.

UGHHH. my level still keeps restarting! I stopped at level 10. iksurxsoro. rage.

am i really the only one going through this?!

Max = Ben Affleck + George Clooney
George-Clooney--Ben-Affleck.jpeg

Wow, the 2nd playthrough is a considerable amount of fun because you've gotten so much better from playing the game the first time

I'm just shoot-dodging all over the place because it's fun as hell at this point. No fucks are given.

"There he goes pulling his notebook out again. If I pulled out my problem solvers half as much as he does, there'd be a drunk ex-cop, and a helluva lot more bodies to be mummified."

65447443.gif

That is awesome!

Opinions on ending since Im more clearheaded:
I loved how Max stayed sober throughout Chapter 7 onward. I thought that what he was drinking at the end was a beer, but in fact it was one of those burst drinks. Really curious to see where he goes now and how sobriety will affect bullet time and his persona in general. Also, I couldn't help but think that what if in Max Payne 4 (assuming it happens) that Giovanna and Passos' child die (akin to Max losing his wife and child) and you end up playing as Passos and Payne off and on and co op in order to solve the murder? You can help Passos cope with his loss until about halfway through and then Raul dies leaving you, as Max alone again. But everything leading up to that point switches between characters

Honestly... I'm okay with how this ended.
I like that he remained sober as well. Also, let Max have the win for once, actually save someone. And leave that co-op out of Max Payne, no way jose. I actually like that Max actually was able to save someone and earn some peace for himself after so long.

I'm getting motion sickness right now, but I can't stop playing, game's too good :lol:

Also never had a problem with games before but this game just makes me feel awful. How did they not run into this problem during testing? I'm pretty insensitive to this and it's effecting me so I'm sure it happened to someone else.

I can't stop listening to the OST. It's making me want to replay the game right NOW, and I just finished it a few hours ago. It's the kind of music you'd want playing over your real life because it would make everything so much more amazing.

Finally finished the single player. Really enjoyed it. I'm definitely in for Max Payne 4.

Haven't played too much multiplayer. Probably get into it more this weekend.

geebee

Banned
So for multiplayer, the best way to play when drunk is with Soft Lock.. when sober, it's all about Free Aim.

Right now it's Soft Lock.

Gravijah

Max = Ben Affleck + George Clooney
http://www.morphthing.com/showimage/2/0/0/33808304/George-Clooney--Ben-Affleck.jpeg[IMG][/QUOTE]
dean winters is totally young max

[img]http://i.imgur.com/fAp5f.jpg
I can't stop listening to the OST. It's making me want to replay the game right NOW, and I just finished it a few hours ago. It's the kind of music you'd want playing over your real life because it would make everything so much more amazing.

it's quite refreshing.

Sojgat

There are a lot of things I don't like about this game as I have said before, but I have now completed it 3 times and it's starting to grow on me a little. Once I finally found a setup I liked (free aim, bullet time effects off,etc) and got over the game's Tony Scott style cutscenes I played through on hard and enjoyed it more than my original medium playthrough. Where I have had the most fun is playing the game on easy and shoot dodging all over the place without being killed instantly, the game feels a lot more like the Max Payne game I wanted. Given that Rockstar have made such an effort to make the game accessible to new players (soft lock, hard lock, cover system), why wasn't this the default difficulty setting?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Payne would hate a pussy like drake, anyway fuck soft lock double the amount of players playing that online to free aim arggggggghhhhhh.

You guys need to make up your minds, whether Drake is a pussy or the cold-blooded mass murderer.

I'm pretty sure these things are mutually exclusive.

Vice

chapter XIV final fight(?)
what am I supposed to do to win this fight? At one point Becker fires a grenade at me and no matter what I do it's an instant death. Am I supposed to do something with the plane?

Okay, don't hang me for this, but here's how I feel about the game after playing the first three chapters and some multiplayer rounds [on PS3]:

The good:
• The animations in this game are amazing
• The lightning looks great
• Voice acting and storytelling

The part where you
jump into the chopper and need to protect that girl with a sniper
... holy shit. That looked so good.

The bad:
• As always, in Rockstar games, the controls suck: Again, I'm forced to shoot with R2, the cover system is clunky, the button layout is just bad and the way Max moves is annoying.
• The subtitles are too freaking small
• The overall menu-design (typography) seems to be too small
• It must be because it's sub-HD again or something, but I'm getting a headache playing the game. It just seems there's something wrong with the resolution. Everything is so far away. Enemies are very hard to spot, especially in that night club scene. Or is it just me?

Multiplayer:
• I'll keep it short; I didn't like it at all. It just doesn't feel right.

Overall, I'm glad I didn't buy the game but just borrowed it from a friend. I'll give it another chance when I have time, but mainly because I like the story so far.

Sojgat

chapter XIV final fight(?)
what am I supposed to do to win this fight? At one point Becker fires a grenade at me and no matter what I do it's an instant death. Am I supposed to do something with the plane?

Kill all the cops, then it will go into a cutscene/event where you jump up and shoot Becker, shoot the grenades in slow motion while you are killing the cops,
you just have to keep an eye on them. This annoyed me the first time as well because it wasn't really clear what you are meant to do.

Nemic77

I'm not?

Did I just miss the setting where I can shoot with R1 in the settings menu? :O

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't really check. But either change the overall layout of the controls or check for an additional option in the same menu.

I always use L1/R1 for shooting.

Vice

Kill all the cops, then it will go into a cutscene/event, shoot the grenades in slow motion while you are killing the cops,
you just have to keep an eye on them. This annoyed me the first time as well because it wasn't really clear what you are meant to do.

Thank you.

Edit: Just beat the game. I like the ending.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Okay, don't hang me for this, but here's how I feel about the game after playing the first three chapters and some multiplayer rounds [on PS3]:

The good:
• The animations in this game are amazing
• The lightning looks great
• Voice acting and storytelling

The part where you
jump into the chopper and need to protect that girl with a sniper
... holy shit. That looked so good.

The bad:
• As always, in Rockstar games, the controls suck: Again, I'm forced to shoot with R2, the cover system is clunky, the button layout is just bad and the way Max moves is annoying.
• The subtitles are too freaking small
• The overall menu-design (typography) seems to be too small
• It must be because it's sub-HD again or something, but I'm getting a headache playing the game. It just seems there's something wrong with the resolution. Everything is so far away. Enemies are very hard to spot, especially in that night club scene. Or is it just me?

Multiplayer:
• I'll keep it short; I didn't like it at all. It just doesn't feel right.

Overall, I'm glad I didn't buy the game but just borrowed it from a friend. I'll give it another chance when I have time, but mainly because I like the story so far.

It's just you. Nothing wrong with the games resolution, I think someone from B3D mentioned that the PS3 version is native 720p.

And I didn't have any issues with the subtitles, but i did turn it off after the first 2 chapters since i found myself reading instead of watching.

I hate to ask, but you are playing it on an HDtv right? With the right cables?

It's just you. Nothing wrong with the games resolution, I think someone from B3D mentioned that the PS3 version is native 720p.

And I didn't have any issues with the subtitles, but i did turn it off after the first 2 chapters since i found myself reading instead of watching. I hate to ask, but you are playing it on an HDtv right? With the right cables?

Of course I am. 1080P TV, 42" inch.

And I know it's not just me, as I was playing it with a friend and he noticed it too. Something is off about it, but I can't put it in words. I just didn't like it.

But if you're saying that it's native 720p, and are sure that there's nothing wrong, then I'll double-check my settings and cable. However, I don't think that it will help, as we afterwards played multiple games with the same settings and noticed nothing odd about those. :(

Perhaps I just had a bad day. I remember being a bit tired and cranky from work.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

And I know it's not just me, as I was playing it with a friend and he noticed it too. Something is off about it, but I can't put it in words. I just didn't like it.

But if you're saying that it's native 720p, and are sure that there's nothing wrong, then I'll double-check my settings and cable. However, I don't think that it will help, as we afterwards played multiple games with the same settings and noticed nothing odd about those. :(

Yeah, double check if the PS3 is outputting 1080p, and has 720p checked.

Also did you tweak the brightness setting? IIRC I can see the nightclub level being a level where it's hard to spot enemies, but that never crossed my mind. Maybe the brightness is set too low or something. Have you tried messing with those settings?

Hope it gets resolved for you, or If the problem is only for that particular level.

Also did you tweak the brightness setting? IIRC I can see the nightclub level being a level where it's hard to spot enemies, but that never crossed my mind. Maybe the brightness is set too low or something. Have you tried messing with those settings?

I'm 100% sure that it's outputting in 1080p and that 720p is checked... but it could very well be the brightness-setting indeed! Thanks, I'll try and tweak that!

So I just rented this at Redbox, going to pick it up after work probably and put some time into it. I just couldn't wait, and I want to make sure I really love it before spending 60 bucks/35 GB download space on the PC version. I may try the first chapter or two and then stick to Multiplayer with the GAF crew...

Feindflug

And I didn't have any issues with the subtitles, but i did turn it off after the first 2 chapters since i found myself reading instead of watching.

I hate to ask, but you are playing it on an HDtv right? With the right cables?

A framebuffer at 720p doesn't mean necessarily that a game can't be blurry (Portal 2 on 360 with it's horrible IQ comes to mind) so maybe a more aggressive form of FXAA blurs the IQ and compromises texture detail on the PS3 version? that being said the 360 version is quite sharp (also at 720p with FXAA) but I still haven't seen the game on the PS3 personally.

Perhaps I just had a bad day. I remember being a bit tired and cranky from work.

my biggest problem was finding the little white dot reticle... but you can weapon specify that thing in the settings. I can't imagine how things will look on a small screen.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
A framebuffer at 720p doesn't mean necessarily that a game can't be blurry (Portal 2 on 360 with it's horrible IQ comes to mind) so maybe a more aggressive form of FXAA blurs the IQ and compromises texture detail on the PS3 version? that being said the 360 version is quite sharp (also at 720p with FXAA) but I still haven't seen the game on the PS3 personally.

Here is a comparison:

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-max-payne-3-screenshot-comparison/

Looks about identical.

Finished this off last night and I've decided that I'm taking it back to EB tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong...I think it's quite a good/badass game, but a rent is better than buying it for me. The game has quite a few flaws that a lot of people in here seem to be ignoring. Firstly, un-skipable cut-scenes is unforgivable. I simply don't want to replay the game because of this considering how many cut-scenes you have to watch and how some of them go on faaaar too long and honestly, are mostly pretty boring. Secondly, the game is super repetitive, the story takes way to long to start, and once it does it gets confusing with way too many names being dropped that you have to remember. It just never really pulled me in...I didn’t care. And lastly, the cover system is disappointing, but the aiming is the real problem, it’s fairly terrible. Even when tweaking the settings it just does not feel right. Playing in free aim for me just isn't fun at all.

Other than that the game is really solid. I really appreciate the small details! 8/10

asside from a bit of black crushing in the 360 version, they look insanely identical.
Maybe the tiniest bit of sharper on the 360 version with a tiny bit better ligthing on the ps3 version..... anyway.. nothing that will be noticable when playing.

I took a gamble with the ps3 version, but i'm glad i did. especially since it's on one disc.
Mass effect 3 cured of the nostalgic idea of swaping discs :p

madmackem

Hope it gets resolved for you, or If the problem is only for that particular level.

You cant have 1080p on ps3 in max payne forced or otherwise, i have both copies played around 5-6 hours or both split in sp and mp and its pretty much the same game. The only slight difference i noticed is ps3 framerate dips in cutscenes more than 360. I have also found it plays better with the ds3 for some reason the heavyness of max just seems to balance more on the ds3 sticks.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
You cant have 1080p on ps3 in max payne forced or otherwise, i have both copies played around 5-6 hours or both split in sp and mp and its pretty much the same game. The only slight difference i noticed is ps3 framerate dips in cutscenes more than 360. I have also found it plays better with the ds3 for some reason the heavyness of max just seems to balance more on the ds3 sticks.

I know ;) I was just checking to see if he had any of those settings checked on his TV.

On the PS3/360 differences, from the comparison videos i've seen, it seems like you're right on the money about the 360 holding a more solid framerate in the cutscenes, especially at the start of the cutscene. It also looks like the PS3 version is v-synced, while the 360 version has very minor tearing.

Hopefully the DF analysis comes out soon, I would love to read up about this game on a technical level, and hoped they got some of R*'s people to comment on the tech used in the game.

i do wish i could switch shooting and aiming to R1 and L1... But since i have the trigger add ons, i'll be fine i guess.

Blutonium

I caved! I bought this game for the PS3 thursday, and I've just finished it. And it was AWESOME. This is by far the most brutal and spectacular TPS I've played. This literally IS a playable John Woo movie, which might be it's biggest problem too.

I loved the homages to the first two games, the soundtrack, the chaos, the violence and the glorious Euphoria physics. I wasn't too fond of the vehicle sequences and cut scenes every 20 seconds. I also missed Sam Lake's writing a lot, but I guess time moves forward and some things do change.

I can't wait for the PC version to drop to do it all over, I double dipped without any regret. I'll be playing this for years.

anddo0

Multiplayer isn't that bad. Won my first DM 20-4.
I hate the way nades works.. First they don't have them in SP, then they make it cumbersome to throw.

On chapter VI at the moment and really enjoying this game. Not sure if I'm liking it as much as MP2 purely because the dark humour is dialled back a fair bit and dialogue wise things don't sound as sharp. I do think the story is by far the best of the three so far though and they've done a fantastic job of humanising Max - feels like the Kane and Lynch narrative done right. Gunplay and bullet time is fantastic - very satisfying (really hard to master - died alot early on) and the soundtrack and voice acting are both really well done, graphics are decent, nothing overly special but get the job done. Think Remedy would have made a real looker using the Alan Wake engine but Rockstar did a good job with what they had (not a fan of their custom engine).

I don't like the overdone 'Man on Fire' saturation / flashing effect that appears over the majority of the cinematics though, feels like overkill - could have been used sparingly instead and IMO that would have been very effective. Also I think the amount of cutscenes during gameplay could have been cut down - everytime you clear a room there's another cutscene!

Obviously need to finish the game before a final verdict but these are my initial thoughts after the first couple of hours.

Top Bottom