• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't believe all of the people that have been saying this game has bullet sponge enemies. All of the enemies have the same amount of health, (which is significantly lower than pretty much any other shooter) you just have to aim for unarmored areas. There are only 2 enemies in the entire game that take more than a single shot to remove their helmets.

Angry Fork

Should I wait for a steam price drop or get it at 60 for single player only? I don't care about multiplayer and will not touch it once. Is the SP worth the price? Can you replay specific chapters once you've beaten the game?

Ridley327

Should I wait for a steam price drop or get it at 60 for single player only? I don't care about multiplayer and will not touch it once. Is the SP worth the price? Can you replay specific chapters once you've beaten the game?

Not only can you replay the chapters, but you can choose your checkpoint to start from as well.

Az987

all good things
I'm so bad at the multiplayer.

I've never been this bad at any shooting games multiplayer.

WHY AM I SO BAD!?

This game, imo, is hard as shit on hard. Really hard. Like, normal was a cake walk compared to this.

Why? Because they are so stingy with bullettime. My entire style of play for the first time through isn't even possible in hard because it was so dependent on BT. Seems like I never start the fight with any... so the first few moments I'm stuck firing in real time against multiple enemies. And they tear you up pretty fast. You can shoot dodge, but that isn't always a good option.

Anyway... been pretty tough so far. I'm getting through it with less deaths than I did in medium, but I'm barely making it through the early sections. Scraping by. Which has me worried about the late game fights when BT was my saving grace.

Shoot dodge will only work if you know exactly how many enemies are left and where they are otherwise it's suicide. BT for me is basically the only way I can spend any extended amount of time aiming out of cover without getting torn up. Otherwise you gotta pop shots off and hope you hit.

Played through it in one sitting yesterday. Everything is so seamless that there really didn't seem like a good place to stop throughout the whole thing.

I'm a big fan or the first 2 games and though that Rockstar did a great job. The shooting feels perfect, enemies die in a few hits (and so do you), the story is well presented and the game looks really stunning in places.

I found myself playing pretty differently to the originals though. In MP 1 and 2 I would use shootdodge constantly and rarely touch the standard bullet time. Complete opposite with this game. Shootdodge felt a lot more circumstantial to me whereas bullet time is essential if you want to survive.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Played through it in one sitting yesterday. Everything is so seamless that there really didn't seem like a good place to stop throughout the whole thing.

I'm a big fan or the first 2 games and though that Rockstar did a great job. The shooting feels perfect, enemies die in a few hits (and so do you), the story is well presented and the game looks really stunning in places.

I found myself playing pretty differently to the originals though. In MP 1 and 2 I would use shootdodge constantly and rarely touch the standard bullet time. Complete opposite with this game. Shootdodge felt a lot more circumstantial to me whereas bullet time is essential if you want to survive.

Because shoot dodge will be disengaged by contacting any object, it can be very punishing to the player if used incorrectly. It's incredibly high risk unless you have a lot of space, whereas using BT has no risk at all.

I want to see McCaffery and North do an action black/buddy comedy where they basically reprise the most famous roles they're known for, but are playing different characters.

Chapter IX is such a joke. The playtime/cutscene ratio is seriously up there with MGS4, but whereas MGS4's scenes are generally entertaining (albeit in completely stupid ways a lot of the time) 90% of MP3's scenes are just Max walking through Favelas and whining about how shit a bodyguard he is for 1,000th time or getting fucking smashed on booze and meds. I've never been that compelled to skip cinematics before.

Let me put it to you this way:
This game gets compared to the UC series a lot. I just played a scene that was virtually a cut-and-paste scenario from UC; the staple 'hoist the woman up to the unreachable ladder' scenario. This is where MP3 just becomes fucking grating. There is NO reason for a 1 minute cutscene here. All it consisted of was Max whining about something he just whined about and the two of them looking around. They traversed a good 15 metres. Nothing happened.

Now compare this to how UC gracefully handles this: vocal cues, splashes of colour to guide your, a simple animation > BANG! Gameplay. No one wants to see a cutscene of ladder climbing, especially when it nearly exceeds the duration of the gameplay portion that preceded it.

MP3 makes you feel as if you're traveling without moving. You're ushered to shooting gallery after shooting gallery by unnecessary and BORING cutscenes that, half the time, aren't able to skipped due to loading.

I know all I've been doing is dissing MP3, but it's making it tremendously easy for me to do so the more I play (or watch).

Grisby

Got one or more chapters to go. The
police station
was awesome as was the chapter before it,

Good times and I like the piano gags. The last one got a smile from me.

I want to see McCaffery and North do an action black/buddy comedy where they basically reprise the most famous roles they're known for, but are playing different characters.

Nah, I'd rather just see a Max Payne/Nathan Drake buddy game where they get into gang drama after going treasure hunting. Drake's the wise cracking risk taker, and Max is the "too old for this but still does it" guy. Complete with Max narration that Drake somehow takes part in as well.

I'd buy it.

Nah, I'd rather just see a Max Payne/Nathan Drake buddy game where they get into gang drama after going treasure hunting. Drake's the wise cracking risk taker, and Max is the "too old for this but still does it" guy. Complete with Max narration that Drake somehow takes part in as well.

I'd buy it.

Exactly. Sorry for wording it wrong, but yeah. Thats what I want. Something in the vein of Lethal Weapon but with twice the grit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nathan Drake is a pretty corny character. The only shooter characters that I could see Max Payne fit in with is Kane and Lynch, and I don't think he'd fit well with that even.

The game would break the fourth wall too with Nate's guns not doing anything to the enemies while he constantly has to ask Max why the hell he's diving all over the place to shoot some goons. Dream sequences would also come back just for Angry Fork, but they'd be filled with puzzles that confuse Max forcing Nate to whip out his handy dandy notebook. The game would never explain how Nate got into Max's dreams.

Nathan Drake is a pretty corny character. The only shooter characters that I could see Max Payne fit in with is Kane and Lynch, and I don't think he'd fit well with that even.

You guys are fuckin ridiculous. these guys can play different characters. both actors are talented enough to what, "stretch"? are you serious? North does 95% of game acting today (haha). McCaffery is more of a noob and he fucking NAILED it. Also, people need to stop comparing max payne to kane and lynch. all thats truly similar is the raw scuzzy grit and the fact theyre both TPSes. Thats it. Period.

Has there been any complaints about getting motion sickness while playing this? I've been playing games my whole life and have never experienced motion sickness until today playing it. I think the random "glitches" in the cutscenes is what did it for me.. also the flashing lights of the club and helicopter movement in the beginning. But man I feel so nauseous

The game would break the fourth wall too with Nate's guns not doing anything to the enemies while he constantly has to ask Max why the hell he's diving all over the place to shoot some goons. Dream sequences would also come back just for Angry Fork, but they'd be filled with puzzles that confuse Max forcing Nate to whip out his handy dandy notebook. The game would never explain how Nate got into Max's dreams.

Game of the Generation. Treasures would consist of maps that would lead to golden gun pieces.

Is it just me or is the pacing all over the place in this game? Also, how is a random gold digger chick so motivating? I'm in chapter VII but so far the story here is really hit or miss. :(

I already said I based everything on posts in this thread from people who have played the game so if you're mad take it up with them.

edit - People who don't agree with my posts still admit the game is different than MP1/2 substantially despite sharing the gameplay. All I've said since MP3 was first announced is that I care more about everything else over gameplay. Gameplay is just a side extra to me in Max Payne everything else (story, characters, atmosphere, sound design etc.) matter much more to me. Everyone in this thread has praised the gameplay and set pieces which is exactly what I said I don't really care about so it's not surprising if I don't like the change in direction.

I argue that while the atmosphere isn't Remedy-esque, Rockstar did an amazing job in giving the game its own unique and gritty atmosphere. It gets really moody and atmospheric at times. The story is really good. Max himself is fantastic. No, it doesn't feel like the old games. But it is great in its own right. It's not better... it's just different. For me, that's good.

Fuck man, McCaffrey and North in a buddy action comedy, that'd be fucking the best thing ever. It'd be the Lethal Weapon of video games.

Someone needs to make this. NOW! One's the hotshot new rookie. The other's a grizzled vet that's lived his life on the mean streets. Together, they must take on a deadly threat that is threatening the streets of LA. Watch as they get in hilarious hijinks, high octane chases, and thrilling shootouts in

KILL SHOT.

Why this doesn't already exist, I do not know.

I argue that while the atmosphere isn't Remedy-esque, Rockstar did an amazing job in giving the game its own unique and gritty atmosphere. It gets really moody and atmospheric at times. The story is really good. Max himself is fantastic. No, it doesn't feel like the old games. But it is great in its own right. It's not better... it's just different. For me, that's good.

Fuck man, McCaffrey and North in a buddy action comedy, that'd be fucking the best thing ever. It'd be the Lethal Weapon of video games.

Someone needs to make this. NOW! One's the hotshot new rookie. The other's a grizzled vet that's lived his life on the mean streets. Together, they must take on a deadly threat that is threatening the streets of LA. Watch as they get in hilarious hijinks, high octane chases, and thrilling shootouts in

KILL SHOT.

Why this doesn't already exist, I do not know.

Just make sure I get partial credit =P. I kept thinking of Drake & Payne and Lethal Weapon steadily about halfway through my first playthrough. It could totally be done.

LOL

Uncharted: Payne's Misfortune

EDIT: Actually, this is pretty genius. MP would benefit from UC silky smooth pacing and cutscenes without dizzying after effects. Both franchises have the best writing in the bizz.

Someone should tweet this idea to Nolan North or Amy Hennig. They could do something about it. The next Naughty Dog franchise could do this and introduce co-op play this way! And tell them to hire McCaffrey for it!

soultron

Banned
:lol at buddy cop game.

I'd rather see more Passos and Payne action. I loved the two of them together.

Chapter X on Hard now. I love that chapter so I'm stopping for now. :p

It'd be cool to see an edgier, more raw Drake role from North, coupled with McCaffrey basically reprising Max but much more mellowed out yet still badass...

The best part of the game would be Max zoning off into his own narration while Nate tries to banter up Elena or Sully.

"I'm standing in a tomb surrounded by scarabs with people who talk more than a priest in a whorehouse. I might put a bullet into my own head before these pirates get a chance to."

It'd be cool to see an edgier, more raw Drake role from North, coupled with McCaffrey basically reprising Max but much more mellowed out yet still badass...

The best part of the game would be Max zoning off into his own narration while Nate tries to banter up Elana or Sully.

"I'm standing in a tomb surrounded by scarabs with people who talk more than a priest in a whorehouse. I might put a bullet into my own head before these pirates get a chance to."

i7mFcgj8v9Www.gif

"There he goes pulling his notebook out again. If I pulled out my problem solvers half as much as he does, there'd be a drunk ex-cop, and a helluva lot more bodies to be mummified."

Fjordson

Fork...I don't know man. I don't see this ending well :lol I don't think you'll like this game.

madmackem

Payne would hate a pussy like drake, anyway fuck soft lock double the amount of players playing that online to free aim arggggggghhhhhh.

Here's what I'm thinking after making it to chapter 7:

As an action game: 9.5
As a Max Payne game: 7.5

Still, if R* is the only one to make Max Payne from now on, it's the best choice outside of Remedy. However, the new game doesn't embody the same tone or atmosphere as the first two.

Just started chapter VI. Whether it plays like the old max paynes or not this is so frikking good!

Off to get ready to go to a friends for some GSL Grand Final action with a bottle of 90$ Jack Daniels(I feel I should be drinking scotch amiright?) then back to join Max and his drinking, whilst drunk myself. CANNOT WAIT

Teknoman

You know what makes this game a much better shooter than most out there? Not just the feedback or dodging, but the fsct that you can actually shoot someone without a shoulder or sight aim. One of the few games that got it right. Shoulder aim for far away, normal crosshair for everything else.

Opinions on ending since Im more clearheaded:
I loved how Max stayed sober throughout Chapter 7 onward. I thought that what he was drinking at the end was a beer, but in fact it was one of those burst drinks. Really curious to see where he goes now and how sobriety will affect bullet time and his persona in general. Also, I couldn't help but think that what if in Max Payne 4 (assuming it happens) that Giovanna and Passos' child die (akin to Max losing his wife and child) and you end up playing as Passos and Payne off and on and co op in order to solve the murder? You can help Passos cope with his loss until about halfway through and then Raul dies leaving you, as Max alone again. But everything leading up to that point switches between characters

Arcteryx

wow...are you fucking kidding me? This game has some awful checkpoints, holy shit.
hotel roof, no painkillers, hardly any ammo, fucking roof is bucking all over, get to the top...dude with mg insta kills me....instead of having the checkpoint up there...it's back at the start.
Yea pretty much done for the night with this.

edit: lol and now I just fell through the map....fml

soultron

Banned
Opinions on ending since Im more clearheaded:
I loved how Max stayed sober throughout Chapter 7 onward. I thought that what he was drinking at the end was a beer, but in fact it was one of those burst drinks. Really curious to see where he goes now and how sobriety will affect bullet time and his persona in general. Also, I couldn't help but think that what if in Max Payne 4 (assuming it happens) that Giovanna and Passos' child die (akin to Max losing his wife and child) and you end up playing as Passos and Payne off and on and co op in order to solve the murder? You can help Passos cope with his loss until about halfway through and then Raul dies leaving you, as Max alone again. But everything leading up to that point switches between characters

Oh man, oh man, don't even say the C word. That'd be way too awesome.

Jarmel

Banned
Chapter IX is such a joke. The playtime/cutscene ratio is seriously up there with MGS4, but whereas MGS4's scenes are generally entertaining (albeit in completely stupid ways a lot of the time) 90% of MP3's scenes are just Max walking through Favelas and whining about how shit a bodyguard he is for 1,000th time or getting fucking smashed on booze and meds. I've never been that compelled to skip cinematics before.

Let me put it to you this way:
This game gets compared to the UC series a lot. I just played a scene that was virtually a cut-and-paste scenario from UC; the staple 'hoist the woman up to the unreachable ladder' scenario. This is where MP3 just becomes fucking grating. There is NO reason for a 1 minute cutscene here. All it consisted of was Max whining about something he just whined about and the two of them looking around. They traversed a good 15 metres. Nothing happened.

Now compare this to how UC gracefully handles this: vocal cues, splashes of colour to guide your, a simple animation > BANG! Gameplay. No one wants to see a cutscene of ladder climbing, especially when it nearly exceeds the duration of the gameplay portion that preceded it.

MP3 makes you feel as if you're traveling without moving. You're ushered to shooting gallery after shooting gallery by unnecessary and BORING cutscenes that, half the time, aren't able to skipped due to loading.

I know all I've been doing is dissing MP3, but it's making it tremendously easy for me to do so the more I play (or watch).

All of this is part of the reason why I hated the Favela. It showed how slow the base movement speed is and the whole sequence really dragged on.

soultron

Banned
wow...are you fucking kidding me? This game has some awful checkpoints, holy shit.
hotel roof, no painkillers, hardly any ammo, fucking roof is bucking all over, get to the top...dude with mg insta kills me....instead of having the checkpoint up there...it's back at the start.
Yea pretty much done for the night with this.

Are you moving or just staying in one spot? There are a bunch of places to take cover behind in that spot, but the key is lateral (try SDing between cover) movement so you don't get dismantled.

If all else fails, just
wail on the guy's head. That's how I did it. It's just that if you risk exposing yourself, even in BT, his gun can destroy you.

Yeah, I'll agree that the favela is probably the worst part of the game. They're fascinating as environments, but even MW2's Favela levels were terrible. The cramped nature of favelas just don't lend themselves well to shooting games. It seems that the game is at its most indulgent with cinema scenes (as a few people have mentioned) at this point too, which makes it aggravating on a second playthrough because of the game's arbitrary nature of when it allows you to skip cinematics. The pacing is at its slowest there, I agree. I feel it got more interesting in chapter IX, when
the UFE showed up.

There are moments of isolated greatness in the favela, such as (early on)
the strip club/brothel, but these encounters are usually very short-lived.
I don't know if anyone else is thinking this, but I'm guessing that the amazing attention to detail (costuming being unique on every character, the environments, clips and bodies being left everywhere) really stretched the current gen consoles to their limits and that's the chief reason behind all of the unskippable "loading" in the cinematics. Interested to see if this occurs on higher-end machines when the game comes out later this month on PC.

Top Bottom