• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Is there a reason why it's been so damned hard to get a gang war going today in free aim on the 360? It took me forever to get one going and then there were only about 6 people in there max. The Rockstar event thing wasn't any different. Had to play in auto-aim or whatever it is. It's too easy and if I keep playing that it's going to make me suck (more than I already do) when and if I'm able to get back into free aim

Yeah there was something wrong with the matchmaking today. Rooms would not fill, and when you managed to find a full room, it wouldn't replace people when they left. It was working fine during the first few Social Club hours, but right around 3:45 EST, it started acting weird.

But multiplayer is really fun, man. There are moments when like 6-8 people meet in bullet time with guys diving, grenades going off, and Euphoria working overtime where it looks unspeakably amazing. Never before have I player a multiplayer game with this much "cinematic flair" to the point that it truly feels like an extension of the single player experience and not at all just tacked on.

Oh and pistols being top of the food chain makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Oh and rolling into a backwards shootdodge to kill someone who thought they had the drop on you is just about the best thing ever.

Oh and shootdodging off a building into a group of 5 enemy players exactly when lighting strikes in the night sky is the second best thing ever.

Yeah there was something wrong with the matchmaking today. Rooms would not fill, and when you managed to find a full room, it wouldn't replace people when they left. It was working fine during the first few Social Club hours, but right around 3:45 EST, it started acting weird.

But multiplayer is really fun, man. There are moments when like 6-8 people meet in bullet time with guys diving, grenades going off, and Euphoria working overtime where it looks unspeakably amazing. Never before have I player a multiplayer game with this much "cinematic flair" to the point that it truly feels like an extension of the single player experience and not at all just tacked on.

Ha, that makes sense, that's about the time I started playing.

Amir0x

Banned
this game has to have the least variety of any shooter I've ever played. Everything is so constantly similar it's starting to become a blur. The mechanics are pretty good, cover needs some work, bullet time kills are always satisfying no matter how many times I do it. But boy this game actually feels like it's overstaying its welcome.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
this game has to have the least variety of any shooter I've ever played. Everything is so constantly similar it's starting to become a blur. The mechanics are pretty good, cover needs some work, bullet time kills are always satisfying no matter how many times I do it. But boy this game actually feels like it's overstaying its welcome.

I think it's just the sheer number of guys they throw at you. And, mechanically, there isn't really any variation in anything you do other than shoot guys. There are no palette cleansers, so to speak.

I feel like this game is way longer than MP2.

Ridley327

I think it's just the sheer number of guys they throw at you. And, mechanically, there isn't really any variation in anything you do other than shoot guys. There are no palette cleansers, so to speak.

I feel like this game is way longer than MP2.

It's a much longer game than MP2, but I think the reviewers who docked it for its length were dead on; with so few detours from cleaning rooms (and a lot of those detours being kinda crap), it starts to drag relatively early on. I'm glad it ended on a high note in the final chapter, but I was kinda glad just to be done with it (and then the credits are like a half hour long).

I got done with Binary Domain a couple of weeks before this came out and I felt it had much, much better scenario design and certainly a hell of a lot more variety.

cacophony

I don't get why people are having such a hard time with this game. I'm on Medium/Free AIm and there hasn't been a part where I've died 5+ times or gotten frustrated and I'm am honestly terrible at (most) video games. Maybe you guys are trying to play too fast? Start using bullet time a lot in short bursts and always go for head shots.

Y2Kev

It's a much longer game than MP2, but I think the reviewers who docked it for its length were dead on; with so few detours from cleaning rooms (and a lot of those detours being kinda crap), it starts to drag relatively early on. I'm glad it ended on a high note in the final chapter, but I was kinda glad just to be done with it (and then the credits are like a half hour long).

I got done with Binary Domain a couple of weeks before this came out and I felt it had much, much better scenario design and certainly a hell of a lot more variety.

Oooh, I forgot about that awesome game.

I remember hearing rumors that this game was basically done in 2009. I wonder how bad it was.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I'm the same way. While Max Payne has a great animation system and fun gameplay, I found the enemies dull and, aside from the
New York
level, I found the environments boring though gorgeously made. One thing I really appreciated about Binary Domain is that I felt like every chapter was way different settings and had a huge sense of scale.

Ridley327

Oooh, I forgot about that awesome game.

I remember hearing rumors that this game was basically done in 2009. I wonder how bad it was.

That would certainly explain the 30-minute credits.

Did you know that they licensed somewhere in the neighborhood of nearly 40 songs just for the radios in the favela levels? I didn't even think there were 4 different songs.

Y2Kev

That would certainly explain the 30-minute credits.

Did you know that they licensed somewhere in the neighborhood of nearly 40 songs just for the radios in the favela levels? I didn't even think there were 4 different songs.

If you go back and look at like the first screenshot threads on GAF, all the levels in the screenshots made it into the game in tact. I bet they had to do major surgery.

Ridley327

If you go back and look at like the first screenshot threads on GAF, all the levels in the screenshots made it into the game in tact. I bet they had to do major surgery.

I always did think it was weird that they put Rockstar Vancouver on the game, since Bully did not give me the impression that they were the best choice to tackle the Max Payne franchise. Sure enough, basically every Rockstar studio had a hand in the development of the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You guys think, after this, we'll see another Rockstar game that isn't open world? I doubt we'll see a Max Payne 3 or Table Tennis. I have no idea if Agent is supposed to be open or not.

PhiLonius

Finally finished the SP portion. Damn, R* does it again. A few problems but still a fun ride. Slow-mo kills never get tiring. Last part gave me some Uncharted 3 cruise-ship-section flashbacks though.

Ridley327

You guys think, after this, we'll see another Rockstar game that isn't open world? I doubt we'll see a Max Payne 3 or Table Tennis. I have no idea if Agent is supposed to be open or not.

I do believe that Agent is supposed to be open world, which I imagine is a big reason why we don't know a lot about it as Rockstar North has seemingly shifted all of their attention to GTA5.

That said, I'd like to see them give another go at a more linear game; outside of the loading issues, RAGE certainly enables for gorgeous games when the scale is more limited.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I do believe that Agent is supposed to be open world, which I imagine is a big reason why we don't know a lot about it as Rockstar North has seemingly shifted all of their attention to GTA5.

That said, I'd like to see them give another go at a more linear game; outside of the loading issues, RAGE certainly enables for gorgeous games when the scale is more limited.

I think it's fine, but I think they have so much animation priority that it doesn't really work in a shooter or a character action game.

deim0s

I'm getting headaches from the RGB flashes. God... So annoying, wished that R* place something in the options to tone it down or make it greyscale. :/ MP is godlike tho.

Fjordson

I think so, one day. Not any time soon, though. MP 3 has gotten good reviews on the whole, but I feel like there is just a bit too much criticism out there against it for Rockstar's tastes. They've just always seemed very conscientious about the critical reception of their games. And I think some more casual fans of GTA and whatnot expect crazy high review scores. This is sort of anecdotal, but I was talking to a friend who was planning on picking this up because he loves GTA/R* and he was surprised at the 88 Metacritic score since it was "pretty low for Rockstar".

I can see them taking a long hard look at this game to parse out what worked and what didn't before they even think about another linear shooter. Agent could be an exception if it's actually far along in development, but I don't think that's a shooter like this.

I would actually love to also see more linear games from Rockstar. Max Payne 3 continues to blow me away. The detail they put into their games is crazy.

rvy

Banned
I know, it's a sadly shallow view on things, but he's one of those famous "Madden/GTA/FPS" people. Three or four games a year at most, so a R* game without a high 90's review average is "disappointing" :lol

Why do these people care about Metacritic? Is that how they decide their purchases? If there was any justice in the world, any football game from EA wouldn't have a higher score than 60%, and I'm being nice here. Metacritic is useless for everyone at this point.

I know, it's a sadly shallow view on things, but he's one of those famous "Madden/GTA/FPS" people. Three or four games a year at most, so a R* game without a high 90's review average is "disappointing" :lol

colinfarrell3p6ca.gif

G_Berry

Banned
Stayed up till 4 am last night. finished the game on hard.

There were some sections that were so fucking hard I was ready to quit.

Will be trading it in for diablo. The only reason I would not play this again is the bloody cutscenes. totally kills the pace of the game.

room full of (bullet sponge) dudes, cutscene, walk a bit, cutscene, room full of dudes, cutscene.

Had my first run-in with the orange abyss.

I dove through a window cappin' dudes like usual and as I was about to hit the ground I just kept falling into orangey nothingness and Max's body started spinning out of control which was pretty hilarious. What wasn't hilarious is that I'm pretty sure I was close to a checkpoint.

MercuryLS

Banned
Stayed up till 4 am last night. finished the game on hard.

There were some sections that were so fucking hard I was ready to quit.

Will be trading it in for diablo. The only reason I would not play this again is the bloody cutscenes. totally kills the pace of the game.

room full of (bullet sponge) dudes, cutscene, walk a bit, cutscene, room full of dudes, cutscene.

It's fine the first time through, but yeah, it will hurt subsequent playthroughs...arcade mode is kinda lame when you have to sit through multiple unskippable cutscenes.

Teknoman

10 or so more days and we'll finally know whether or not Max Payne 3 is good on PC.

And i'll be that much closer to knowing the version i'll be on.

dreamfall

10 or so more days and we'll finally know whether or not Max Payne 3 is good on PC.

And i'll be that much closer to knowing the version i'll be on.

After playing the console version, I'm really excited for the PC version. Controlling Max with the KB+M will probably feel much tighter- and it'll have jaw dropping visuals. The console version truly is amazing also!

Jhoan

I bought the game but won't be playing it until I get home.

A few impressions here are scaring me; no unskippable cutscenes in arcade mode is a bummer; corridor shooting sections is another bummer. I'm going in with low expectations. At least the MP looks and sounds cool so I'm looking forward to NeoGanging up.

Montresor

I asked before but didn't get an answer: Do any of the later difficulties disable soft lock or hard lock?

edit: Oh lol, I just tried to turn soft lock on in Hard mode and it said achievements would be disabled if I tried to do that... Fuck! Oh well I played all of medium with free aim, hopefully that gave me some good training.

Fjordson

Why do these people care about Metacritic? Is that how they decide their purchases? If there was any justice in the world, any football game from EA wouldn't have a higher score than 60%, and I'm being nice here. Metacritic is useless for everyone at this point.
Well, the problem with Madden is that it's literally the only game in town when it comes to pro football games.

But I agree, the system just ain't quite right.

Arcteryx

...and credits(~11 hrs on Hard).

Well that was pretty fun, but MP1/2 are still superior games from a mechanical standpoint in my eyes. Euphoria is awesome and all, but there is the slightest bit of jankiness to it that just throws off the movement enough to bother me. That, plus the layout of the environments with TREMENDOUS amounts of cover...eh, just not my kind of thing. It makes it very hard to dive around without getting interrupted by hitting the edge of a desk and going back into normal speed. I'm considering double-dipping to see how it controls with a m+kb, maybe my downsides will be alleviated there.

The story itself was well done and I enjoyed the cutscenes for the most part(even if they weren't skippable). There's still some of that "cheesey" overdone dialogue, but no where near what was found in MP1/2, which IMO definitely fits the style better here.

As for the length of the game, I definitely agree with some of the comments saying it's a little on the long side. After the billionth time of hearing "and just then, they showed up" you'll probably be sick to death of it. I'd rather have seen more effort put into varied enemy styles, or better designed environments(mechanically, not visually), than the time that was spent just adding more corridor shooting sections(with too much cover).

The music was very well done, with some of the best dynamic score I've heard in a game yet. Graphics I found to be pretty top notch as well, with very few(if any) real slow downs on PS3(aside from some drops during cutscene loading).

For me the MP is well worth the $60. I can definitely see myself playing it for the foreseeable future(assuming free aim players stick around). I just wish it had a replay editor, because you will be creating some absolutely insane looking kills every match.

In the end, I think that MP3 is a better "game" game than it is a Max Payne game. It's one of the better games I've played in recent years, but compared to 1/2...it doesn't quite hold up.

MattDoza

wait, cutscnes aren't skippable? fuck this game.

They're essentially the loading screens. Everyone keeps saying this wrong. They can be skipped, once it has finished loading. If you press A/X to skip it'll tell you it's still loading, once it's finished, you can skip.

Top Bottom