• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

soultron

Banned
When you think about it, it makes sense:
This is the point of his personal rock bottom and it shows in his appearance to nth degree. Its the Rock Bottom chapter, because the sobriety decision and headshaving is what directly follows.

I just think it's a bad hangover. In my opinion, Max's lowest, in all of MP3 (don't read unless you've beaten the game),
was when Fabianna and Marcelo were killed because of him.

Time for a GAF1 and GAF2?

soultron

Banned
Yeah, noticed that too. Love the small details in the game.

One of the craziest small details I noticed was when, early on in the game, Max puts his hand against the window of his hotel room, and then moves away from the window; you hear a small squeak as his hand slides down and away from the window. :O

Such minor details, but I appreciate that kind of stuff.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, last night I was doing pretty well in multiplayer but today I'm probably doing the worst I've ever done in a multiplayer game. I just haven't been able to find a loadout that's totally clicked yet. The weapons I think would work out best for me aren't available until level 20 either and I'm only 6 right now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I guess it wouldn't be a Rockstar game without this weird pandering to douche culture, but I just don't like it so much here. Social commentary that also sells to a certain demo, but the whole Jet Setting-Night Clubbing-Coked out Gta characters....eh, a bit of a jarring fit here to me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I guess it wouldn't be a Rockstar game without this weird pandering to douche culture, but I just don't like it so much here. Social commentary that also sells to a certain demo, but the whole Jet Setting-Night Clubbing-Coked out Gta characters....eh, such a jarring fit here to me.

Max is constantly talking about how awful they are and how much he dislikes that life. It's absolutely not pandering to douche culture.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Max is constantly talking about how awful they are and how much he dislikes that life. It's absolutely not pandering to douche culture.
Exactly, I know it's there so Max can comment on it because he's on 'our' side. I like that bit about it. It just feels so jarringly cliched as a R* thing that it takes me out of it. Oh look, another prolonged shot of rich assholes partying on a yacht. Ha. It just feels like the R* formula is sort of stale in this particular respect.

And I know there's a lot of care put into the divide between rich/poor in the game so there's a place for decadence. I dunno. Just feels sometimes like every R* game is required to have this Scarface vibe to it.

pakkit

Banned
Exactly, I know it's there so Max can comment on it because he's on 'our' side. I like that bit about it. It just feels so jarringly cliched as a R* thing that it takes me out of it. Oh look, another prolonged shot of rich assholes partying on a yacht. Ha.

The beginning was a bit archetypal for R*, but that said, where I stand, about 2/3rds way done with the story, I'm glad that they've made a game that's dark and gruesome enough to match the violence they portray on-screen.

There is a dichotomous element to it all, however, with Max's key elements of BulletTime and Golden Guns clashing with the very realistic portrayal of violence and gore. Still, once you can iron out the cognitive dissonance, it is a hell of a ride.

Off-topic: The OCD in me hates your tag with a fiery passion, mattiewheels. Way to ruin the formatting.

Brewer

Neo Member
One of the craziest small details I noticed was when, early on in the game, Max puts his hand against the window of his hotel room, and then moves away from the window; you hear a small squeak as his hand slides down and away from the window. :O

Such minor details, but I appreciate that kind of stuff.

Hah! Stuff like that really adds to the "replayability".
I also like the fact that Max has a different outfit in every chapter (so far). I really appreciate stuff like that in games; like, for example, Batmans suit getting more messed up in AA (and AC) as you play the game.

soultron

Banned
Hah! Stuff like that really adds to the "replayability".
I also like the fact that Max has a different outfit in every chapter (so far). I really appreciate stuff like that in games; like, for example, Batmans suit getting more messed up in AA (and AC) as you play the game.

Max's wardrobe also gets damaged, dirty, and wet as well. The office complex level is a great example of this; the very same level with the wrinkly suit!

I noticed yesterday, after playing the first favela chapter again, that when Max stands in a knee-deep puddle, his pants get more and more soaked the deeper you go in water.

Con_Smith

Banned
Playing for a few hours and the game is great and exactly what I want when I think of a Max Payne game. But goodamnit the scenes direction it's one of the worst I saw in a long time. What's with those shitty filters and camera? Awful, I wish they just went to the still comic cutscenes.

I was slightly annoyed with the filters and disorienting pulses until I realized a lot of the time they were cued to the background music of a given scene or maxs' mind state at a given situation. Things get crazier the more things heat up and I think rockstar made it that way to cue you when shit gets real or a story beat for a given chapter starts to heat up. As for the camera angles they didn't bother me much.

MMaRsu

Man, last night I was doing pretty well in multiplayer but today I'm probably doing the worst I've ever done in a multiplayer game. I just haven't been able to find a loadout that's totally clicked yet. The weapons I think would work out best for me aren't available until level 20 either and I'm only 6 right now.

I only use pistol and uzi..good stuff. Right now im experienting with double uzis with extended clips and a barrel for accuracy. Good stuff.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I only use pistol and uzi..good stuff. Right now im experienting with double uzis with extended clips and a barrel for accuracy. Good stuff.

I'm using Revolver and M10 now but am experimenting with some of the other one handed guns. Long guns seem kind of worthless right now. Why does it seem like the 1911 and the second one handed SMG are way worse stat wise than the defaults?

MMaRsu

I'm using Revolver and M10 now but am experimenting with some of the other one handed guns. Long guns seem kind of worthless right now. Why does it seem like the 1911 and the second one handed SMG are way worse stat wise than the defaults?

No clue.. im waiting to get dat bull pistol. Honestly i love the deathmatch in this game. I think ill buy the season pass but maybe ill see if the free aim community stays. Im lvl 16 by the way :)

Kolgar

First time in my life I've ever ripped off the shrink-wrap and jumped into a game like this on the multiplayer side of things, and I had a blast!

Rockstar pulls off the gritty urban locals so well, and they're such a good fit for this game. I was reminded a bit of GTA multiplayer, which I also liked but didn't spend nearly enough time with.

Having played both of the earlier Max Paynes back in the day, I am looking forward to digging into the single-player story tonight.

I have a feeling I'm in for a great ride!

Montresor

Which of these modes disables soft lock or hard lock?

Hardcore
Old School
New York Minute
Hardcore New York Minute

I've been playing through medium and hard with just free aim so I don't get totally fucked getting used to soft/hard lock and then out of nowhere being forced to play with free aim on one of the harder difficulties.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No clue.. im waiting to get dat bull pistol. Honestly i love the deathmatch in this game. I think ill buy the season pass but maybe ill see if the free aim community stays.
I really want the bull and the auto 9mm. I have a feeling that combo will wreck.

MMaRsu

I really want the bull and the auto 9mm. I have a feeling that combo will wreck.

Im only 4 lvls away.. so close.
Branco office map is amazing..nothing like activating bullettime..lighting up a few fools then shootdodge around a corner and headshot more dudes..

ow7yW.jpg

How many people are going retail rather than DD, out of curiosity?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Im only 4 lvls away.. so close.
Branco office map is amazing..nothing like activating bullettime..lighting up a few fools then shootdodge around a corner and headshot more dudes..

I really need to unlock bullet time too. Doesn't feel like Max Payne without it.

Grisby

Git bit by the MP bug. Killed two dudes with a shotgun in last stand mode. Awesome.

I also love seeing people shotdodge off of a building. You can almost hear them screaming, "NNNNNOOOO!!!"

Con_Smith

Banned
No clue.. im waiting to get dat bull pistol. Honestly i love the deathmatch in this game. I think ill buy the season pass but maybe ill see if the free aim community stays.

I have been trying the free aim modes but because my tv isn't but 32 inches from where I sit, its hard to tell where my reticule is pointing half the time. Any one have any tips because free aim from the time I spent with it felt more fun fore some reason.

Also that feeling when settling a vendetta against the guy who shot me in the back while bullet dodging out of the way of a grenade seeing huge explosions go off in the background then killing his two buddies soon after earning me 2 people out for my head was fucking amazing. When alls said and done I haven't had this much fun or random exciting shit happen in a multi since gta/rdr. The fact that even in a non open world game rockstar can pull off crazy random multiplayer experiences makes me excited for whatever and whenever gta5 becomes.

RedSwirl

What the fuck am I doing wrong? I'm at Chapter IX and I've probably died more than 500 times by now. Come to think of it I probably died just as often in Max Payne 1. Is it just me or does this game have way too many bullet sponges? Too many times have I been killed by a guy after I put seven bullets in his chest.

ow7yW.jpg

How many people are going retail rather than DD, out of curiosity?

I probably am. I still don't feel good about downloading 35GB, but on the other hand I'm waiting for a Steam deal so...

What the fuck am I doing wrong? I'm at Chapter IX and I've probably died more than 500 times by now. Come to think of it I probably died just as often in Max Payne 1. Is it just me or does this game have way too many bullet sponges? Too many times have I been killed by a guy after I put seven bullets in his chest.

I probably am. I still don't feel good about downloading 35GB, but on the other hand I'm waiting for a Steam deal so...

Stop shooting them in the chest if they're wearing armour. Shoot heads, arms, and legs.

RedSwirl

Stop shooting them in the chest if they're wearing armour. Shoot heads, arms, and legs.

That shit is difficult. I'm playing on normal without aim assist by the way. Very unusual for me since I played the first two games on PC. Maybe that's the problem. I also don't think R* quite has action gunplay down yet. They've been getting better since GTAIV, but they could still be a lot better.

MattDoza

My stats after beating the game on Hard and Old School:

Time Played: 20:30:08
Deaths: 120
Headshots: 1527
Bullets Fired: 34020
Kills in Bullet Time: 1735
Kills While Blind Firing: 68
Kills While Shoot Dodging: 223
Kills While Crouching: 18
Kills While On Back: 9
Dual Wield: 293
Distance Traveled: 75,001 m.
Last Stands Survived: 129
Time Spent In Cover: 04:14:38.850
Time Spent Prone: 08:20.562
Times Died While Prone: 1

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
That shit is difficult. I'm playing on normal without aim assist by the way. Very unusual for me since I played the first two games on PC. Maybe that's the problem. I also don't think R* quite has action gunplay down yet. They've been getting better since GTAIV, but they could still be a lot better.

I thought Red Dead was very good for action gun play but then the mechanics and feel was very tight and made sense. Max Payne 3 does definitely does a good job for better set pieces than I've seen in past Rockstar made games before this generation and I wouldn't be surprised if this game was a whole test ground of technology and mechanics for being implemented into GTA5. New Jersey had some of the most fun scenarios I've had in a third person shooter in a while. Everything from it was tensed and so much fun.

I kinda can't believe the sheer number of people you kill.

Well, that's with tons and tons and tons of restarts, failures, etc. But yeah, Max has always been a bit of a street sweeper. I think that might have been part of the reason they moved the action out of New York - with the more realistic tone, it would have been ludicrous to fight the same amount of goons you did in 1 and 2.
I actually think the New Jersey sections of the game suffer a little bit because of this, since it's like "where the hell are the cops? Why is nobody at all phased by all this shooting?" inb4 "but it's new jersey bro"
. Sticking Max in the middle of a country more notorious for mob gang violence makes it a (slightly) less ridiculous body count.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Regardless of what it means for the story, stuff just gets repetitive after a while. I'm in Chapter 12 I think and I'm starting to get that groany feeling when I enter a new killroom and see 12 guys. Like in chapter 11,
did I really need all those guys lining up on the side of the boat to shoot at me? goddam

Ridley327

Well, that's with tons and tons and tons of restarts, failures, etc. But yeah, Max has always been a bit of a street sweeper. I think that might have been part of the reason they moved the action out of New York - with the more realistic tone, it would have been ludicrous to fight the same amount of goons you did in 1 and 2.
I actually think the New Jersey sections of the game suffer a little bit because of this, since it's like "where the hell are the cops? Why is nobody at all phased by all this shooting?" inb4 "but it's new jersey bro"
. Sticking Max in the middle of a country more notorious for mob gang violence makes it a (slightly) less ridiculous body count.

And even then, you end up killing a whole lot of
members of the De Marco crime family during the Hoboken chapters
than you'd think it possible.

Regardless of what it means for the story, stuff just gets repetitive after a while. I'm in Chapter 12 I think and I'm starting to get that groany feeling when I enter a new killroom and see 12 guys. Like in chapter 11,
did I really need all those guys lining up on the side of the boat to shoot at me? goddam

Chapter 11 is by far my favorite. DAT MUSIC.

Ridley327

I do agree that the tone of the game does make the enemy numbers and their behaviors quite a bit more ridiculous than in previous games. The Uncharted games run into the same problem when you've got an entire army of well-armed pirates/mercenaries/chavs/pirates again gunning for you when it would be more advantageous of them to run away from the collapsing structures themselves. Hence, why the end of chapter 12 in this game just is never going to work for me. I don't care how
profitable organ harvesting poor people is; the building is coming down and you have better things to do than try and kill a fat bald dude with a bad temper.

cacophony

This rooftop part lol..
just spawn me RIGHT in front of a fucking dude with a minigun

also, im using free aim but ive noticed that sometimes when an enemy walks by while im aiming it will drag as if soft lock is on, is this a glitch or something? my controller?

im loving this game though. one of the best this gen for me.

Ridley327

This rooftop part lol..
just spawn me RIGHT in front of a fucking dude with a minigun

also, im using free aim but ive noticed that sometimes when an enemy walks by while im aiming it will drag as if soft lock is on, is this a glitch or something? my controller?

im loving this game though. one of the best this gen for me.

You might have one of the aim assists still turned on; for whatever reason, there's a couple more in the Gameplay menu that aren't mentioned at all in the Controls portion, including an aim assist that occurs when you have an enemy close by.

RedSwirl

Still getting my ass kicked somehow. I have no idea how other people play this game. Chapter XI on normal and I've probably died hundreds of times by now. Maybe I just suck at R* games. Maybe I need to play more of them on PC because I just do not like the way they do controls on consoles.

I thought Red Dead was very good for action gun play but then the mechanics and feel was very tight and made sense. Max Payne 3 does definitely does a good job for better set pieces than I've seen in past Rockstar made games before this generation and I wouldn't be surprised if this game was a whole test ground of technology and mechanics for being implemented into GTA5. New Jersey had some of the most fun scenarios I've had in a third person shooter in a while. Everything from it was tensed and so much fun.

I thought Red Dead was okay in terms of shooting mechanics. GTA4 was just barely playable, and to me all of the earlier GTA games are absolutely unplayable on consoles. To this day Red Dead and Bully are the only R* games I've actually finished. I don't know how people do it.

In my opinion, part of the problem with current gen R* games is the RAGE engine and its attempt at fluid character animation. Too often does it cut down on getting my character to do what I want them to do. In MP3 I've already died many times because I couldn't get Max to turn his gun around when I wanted him to.

I kinda can't believe the sheer number of people you kill.

Same thing for Read Dead, like that one section when you're just entering Mexico. That's one of the weird dichotomies with R* games though - their stories and settings are grounded in reality, but the gameplay is just as unrealistic as any other shooter. That's why I actually find Gears to be the most "believable" shooter franchise right now, and maybe Halo. In Gears you're fighting non-human monsters, and in Halo you are literally a super soldier.

Same thing for Read Dead, like that one section when you're just entering Mexico. That's one of the weird dichotomies with R* games though - their stories and settings are grounded in reality, but the gameplay is just as unrealistic as any other shooter. That's why I actually find Gears to be the most "believable" shooter franchise right now, and maybe Halo. In Gears you're fighting non-human monsters, and in Halo you are literally a super soldier.

To be honest it never really bugs me in any of the Max Payne games, even 3, just because it wouldn't be a heroic bloodshed/hong kong action thing without a crazy bodycount.

MMaRsu

Fucking ridiculous man I keep getting disconnected in the middle of fucking games and shit. Do I lose my xp earned? I mean wtf man this is so goddamn annoying I love the MP but the matchmaking is pure shit.

I love the bodycount by the way :p.

Ridley327

To be honest it never really bugs me in any of the Max Payne games, even 3, just because it wouldn't be a heroic bloodshed/hong kong action thing without a crazy bodycount.

And I think that's why I'm not as down on it being guilty of it just as much as other games, because let's face it: John Woo has murdered the entire population of Hong Kong at least 50 times over by now.

Well, I guess you are/were the cops. :p But it is weird there's really no response from the cops until they're the ones you have to kill.

Enjoyed it. Was a fun campaign but I don't know that I'll be going back to it. Cut right through it faster than most Rockstar games though maybe it's fine to be a well-paced and self-contained experience that way.

RedSwirl

Here's the messed up part: I started Max Payne 3 immediately after beating Demon's Souls, and I think I've already died more times in the former than the latter.

Is there a reason why it's been so damned hard to get a gang war going today in free aim on the 360? It took me forever to get one going and then there were only about 6 people in there max. The Rockstar event thing wasn't any different. Had to play in auto-aim or whatever it is. It's too easy and if I keep playing that it's going to make me suck (more than I already do) when and if I'm able to get back into free aim

soultron

Banned
Here's the messed up part: I started Max Payne 3 immediately after beating Demon's Souls, and I think I've already died more times in the former than the latter.

Dark Souls was what I came off before MP3 and it's definitely one of the harder shooters I've played in a while. I'm quite alright with that though. Once you've adjusted to how Max handles and find aiming settings that feel right, it all kind of clicks.

MattDoza

Is there a reason why it's been so damned hard to get a gang war going today in free aim on the 360? It took me forever to get one going and then there were only about 6 people in there max. The Rockstar event thing wasn't any different. Had to play in auto-aim or whatever it is. It's too easy and if I keep playing that it's going to make me suck (more than I already do) when and if I'm able to get back into free aim

I haven't played yet, today. But I had trouble yesterday. Was in a room with just 4 people, and then just 3, then the entire other team(well, the 1 remaining guy) quit. I also got put into a lobby with just one other guy and we sat waiting for a solid minute before I left and restarted the search.

Top Bottom