• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

But if this said restaurant ... Okay I'll stop. I'm probably being extremely sensitive with all the waiting, the PC delay and recently being released from the hospital. Now I just have a lot of pent up nerdy frustration. But I do know where you come from, had my fair share of games where I just needed to get something off my chest and perhaps see someone else actually share my opinions but they were far and few in between. So i apologize for being a bit combative.

Ha. No apologies necessary. *Shoot-dodge brofist* And I did not know you were a PC gamer. Commiserations. Delays for things that you're mega-hyped for are always painful, regardless of their length.

People - maybe even Max - could learn from us/this.

Ill just leave this here. Someone needs to get the ball rolling on it.

42F130E7-4379-452E-A99B-B5777DCBDFCF.jpg

Reprising a role similar to Max

+

Nolan-North-007.jpg

Reprising a role similar to Drake

=

What should basically be a combination of:
lethal-weapon.jpg

+

MPW-37805

Montresor

What's the name of the song that has a really deep stringed instrument playing? Like a cello or a bass playing a badass note. I need a youtube fix of this while I shave.

edit: Nevermind, found it - silly me, it's the main theme. I love when this song plays after
in Max's apartment after Rodrigo bites him, and Max shaves his head

ZeroRay

Ill just leave this here. Someone needs to get the ball rolling on it.

http://content3.catalog.photos.msn.com/ds/pic-en-us/picenus_msnentertainment/WireImage.com/42F130E7-4379-452E-A99B-B5777DCBDFCF.jpg[IMG]
Reprising a role similar to Max

[B]+[/B]

[IMG]http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/1104527/Nolan-North-007.jpg[IMG]
Reprising a role similar to Drake

[B]=[/B]

What should basically be a combination of:
[IMG]http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/56/5687/9IKUG00Z/posters/lethal-weapon.jpg[IMG]

[B]+[/B]

[IMG]http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/75/MPW-37805[IMG][/QUOTE]

*Drake does something crazy. Reacts like he usually does.*

"Look at him, all smug and carefree. An impossible life threatening situation shrugged away with him simply acting like he just caught the train before it left. This fool has a bodycount as big as mine. I'm beginning to realize his act is just a way for him to cope with his life, like booze and pills are mine."

"Look at him, all smug and carefree. An impossible life threatening situation shrugged away with him simply acting like he just caught the train before it left. This fool has a bodycount as big as mine. I'm beginning to realize his act is just a way for him to cope with his life, like booze and pills are mine."

That's great. I could literally hear him say something along those lines. Well done. :)

Ridley327

I don't know if anyone noticed this yet, but the iTunes version of the soundtrack has two extra tracks that weren't in the SE version, and one of them happens to be the track that plays when you're
chasing down Victor's plane.

It's weird that it isn't a complete soundtrack of all the stuff HEALTH did, though; it's still missing the song that plays in the first part of chapter 2, for example.

EDIT: Nevermind on my example, as that's the other track they added.

"As he searches for treasure hidden in the past, I began to wonder what I was doing along for the ride when all I wanted to do was escape mine...the past that is. He climbed and jumped as the body count of our "competitors" did the same and I'm starting to believe we're both just junkies living in delusion, adrenaline and actual, respectively. The only pot of gold at the end of this "rainbow" is another rainbow to another pot of gold. Funny though, all of our rainbows seemed to be stained red."

Barryman

I have to say I'm really disappointed in this game.

I'm not too far so I don't want to draw conclusions yet, but so far, the story is way more pedestrian and boring than I would expect, both as a fan of Max Payne games and as a fan of Rockstar games.

I don't think the cover mechanic is integrated very well into the combat systems. The game just encourages you to hide in cover and not run/dive/gun, which sort of kills the Max Payne vibe for me. And the game doesn't really succeed as a cover-based shooter for me, since it is just too far behind the super-refined mechanics of the Gears series. It would have been much more exciting to have had the ability to dive between cover, or have a bullet time multiplier that resets once you go into cover, or something else to more tightly weave the cover system into the classic Max Payne mechanics.

And another small complaint I have that is driving me CRAZY are the awful sniper controls. It's bad enough that aim suddenly switches to the left stick, but it's even worse due to the fact that I invert my right stick's Y axis, but have never played a single game where I've needed to invert my left stick's Y axis, which it just assumes I want to do since I have my look set to inverted. Aiming a sniper rifle in this game was the first time where I've felt like I had no idea how to play a console FPS. Please GAF, tell me there's a way to change the sniping controls!

Just finished this and it's definitely one of the best games that i've played this gen. It's also one of the reasons why I just can't take game reviews seriously anymore. Nearly every one of them criticized it for have a cheap checkpointing system, but never once did I feel like that. I was actually worried when I read that because I hate when games have messy checkpoints, but Max felt just right. It almost makes it sound like the reviewers never learned all of the mechanics (blindfire, cover, bullet time, shoot diving etc), since I don't see how you could ever run into a checkpoint problem if you're using those properly.

Anyway, i'd say that this is the new standard as far as TPS combat goes. The combat is just unbelievably fluid.

Gravijah

Just finished this and it's definitely one of the best games that i've played this gen. It's also one of the reasons why I just can't take game reviews seriously anymore. Nearly every one of them criticized it for have a cheap checkpointing system, but never once did I feel like that. I was actually worried when I read that because I hate when games have messy checkpoints, but Max felt just right. It almost makes it sound like the reviewers never learned all of the mechanics (blindfire, cover, bullet time, shoot diving etc), since I don't see how you could ever run into a checkpoint problem if you're using those properly.

i don't really understand the complaints with the checkpoint system, either. you might have to redo a section, but you aren't getting completely fucked over by it.

"As he searches for treasure hidden in the past, I began to wonder what I was doing along for the ride when all I wanted to do was escape mine...the past that is. He climbed and jumped as the body count of our "competitors" did the same and I'm starting to believe we're both just junkies living in delusion, adrenaline and actual, respectively. The only pot of gold at the end of this "rainbow" is another rainbow to another pot of gold. Funny though, all of our rainbows seemed to be stained red."

AWESOME. =D

I don't think the cover mechanic is integrated very well into the combat systems. The game just encourages you to hide in cover and not run/dive/gun, which sort of kills the Max Payne vibe for me. And the game doesn't really succeed as a cover-based shooter for me, since it is just too far behind the super-refined mechanics of the Gears series. It would have been much more exciting to have had the ability to dive between cover, or have a bullet time multiplier that resets once you go into cover, or something else to more tightly weave the cover system into the classic Max Payne mechanics.

What the hell are you talking about? How would you want the game to encourage you to use bullet time and the shoot dodge? How about the fact that you are playing as FUCKING MAX PAYNE! Go and try to pull off some cool shit.

MMaRsu

i don't really understand the complaints with the checkpoint system, either. you might have to redo a section, but you aren't getting completely fucked over by it.

Exactly especially since it gives you painkillers and bullettime if you keep dying.

REVIEWERS ARE NOT TE BE TRUSTED

confirmed once again. Well most of the dumb complaints..a 7.6 gametrailers? REALLY? REALLY?

michael-scott-no.gif

I will agree with keltickennedy here. You are fucking max payne dude. Stop stayin in cover like a Drake.

Barryman

What the hell are you talking about? How would you want the game to encourage you to use bullet time and the shoot dodge? How about the fact that you are playing as FUCKING MAX PAYNE! Go and try to pull off some cool shit.

I'm talking about the fact that you die almost as soon as you get out of cover unless you have pills on you. They're basically forcing you into cover.

It might also have to do with the fact that I'm not playing with any of the lock-on assists and don't like the way the aiming feels. I turned the acceleration all the way down and the sensitivity all the way up and the controls still feel unresponsive to me. Do you recommend using the soft or hard lock?

NIN90

I'm talking about the fact that you die almost as soon as you get out of cover unless you have pills on you. They're basically forcing you into cover.

You are invincible during Shootdodge. I think shooting from cover is actually more dangerous than Shootdodging (on Hard atleast)

MMaRsu

It might also have to do with the fact that I'm not playing with any of the lock-on assists and don't like the way the aiming feels. I turned the acceleration all the way down and the sensitivity all the way up and the controls still feel unresponsive to me. Do you recommend using the soft or hard lock?

WTF?

Put it on 8/8/6 or 7/7/7 like some have said itt. Dont using ANY goddamn lock, play it on free aim. Are you playing on hard? Use more shootdodging, as you can use it even if you dont have any bullettime left.

Honestly I've died so much LESS on hard so far.. ofcourse that's after clearing the game first on medium. Now I'm at the favelas and loving it on hard. A meaty challenge indeed!

I don't think the cover mechanic is integrated very well into the combat systems. The game just encourages you to hide in cover and not run/dive/gun, which sort of kills the Max Payne vibe for me.

I don't get this at all. I completed it on Hard and am currently a few chapters into Hardcore. Playing in Free Aim and I only use cover to come up with a strategy. I'm generally diving all over the place. Running and gunning and shoot dodging works extremely well. At least for me.

NIN90

WTF?

Put it on 8/8/6 or 7/7/7 like some have said itt. Dont using ANY goddamn lock, play it on free aim. Are you playing on hard? Use more shootdodging, as you can use it even if you dont have any bullettime left.

Honestly I've died so much LESS on hard so far.. ofcourse that's after clearing the game first on medium. Now I'm at the favelas and loving it on hard. A meaty challenge indeed!

I don't get how you guys can play with such high sensivity lol. I'm on 2/2/2 myself and I'll probably set it lower. Couldn't hit shit with 5/5/5.
Well, I'm a low sens player on PC too so I guess it's to be expected.

Exactly especially since it gives you painkillers and bullettime if you keep dying.

REVIEWERS ARE NOT TE BE TRUSTED

confirmed once again. Well most of the dumb complaints..a 7.6 gametrailers? REALLY? REALLY?

Yes, not to sound like an asshole, but I would actually like to see gameplay videos from these people harping about how the shooting isn't that great and such. Recently over the course of the last couple years, attending gaming conventions and watching live streams of people play games, I have come under the impression that the vast majority of "gamers" actually fucking suck at playing games. Then you hear them complaining how it is "the games fault" and that it is "shitty" or "cheap". They simply aren't taking the time to try and understand certain mechanics. They just wanna know what is the shoot button and where are the enemies.

We live in a sad day post Call of Duty.

I was using soft-lock on medium when I first started playing the game, but then ended up turning it to free-aim when I got to the boat level and found you could spam lock on with the trigger and would kill enemies easily. Also, sometimes you will target an enemy you don't want to with soft-lock. While replaying the game, I personally found a happy medium with soft-lock on sometimes. I will free-aim in straight up gunfights and only use the LT to soft-lock when I shoot dodge off something with some height while surrounded by multiple enemies, to take them out quickly. A good example of this is the stadium level, after you go up the elevator and are at the top of the bleachers with like 6 enemies walking along the bottom. If you shootdodge from the very top you can get some good airtime and take out all the enemies at once. When you land you will slide down the stairs and right behind cover at the very bottom.

Barryman

Ahh OK, I wasn't aware that you were invincible during dives. I probably haven't been diving enough.

I really hated the default controls with a passion, I'll try upping the acceleration to see how it goes. Any suggestions on the sniper aim? It seriously is unplayable.

Sorry to be so negative, I really do want to like this game and feel like I'm missing out since everyone seems to be loving it.

jonno394

Ahh OK, I wasn't aware that you were invincible during dives. I probably haven't been diving enough.[/

I really hated the default controls with a passion, I'll try upping the acceleration to see how it goes. Any suggestions on the sniper aim? It seriously is unplayable.

Sorry to be so negative, I really do want to like this game and feel like I'm missing out since everyone seems to be loving it.

As far as i'm aware, you're not.

MMaRsu

Ahh OK, I wasn't aware that you were invincible during dives. I probably haven't been diving enough.

Im not certain you are invincible during dives but you probably havent been diving and using bullettime enough if you feel this game really encourages using cover. It's there if you want to use it, but if you want to play it like a true max payne game you almost never have to use it. I mostly use it to reload and then pop back out capping fools left and right in slowmo FUCK YEA

*boots up Max Payne3*

Ya so i started over and it ended up being a lot more fun with free aim and the speeds on 7. The cut-scenes are still driving me crazy though. That flicker really REALLY bothers me. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.

Ridley327

Im not certain you are invincible during dives but you probably havent been diving and using bullettime enough if you feel this game really encourages using cover. It's there if you want to use it, but if you want to play it like a true max payne game you almost never have to use it. I mostly use it to reload and then pop back out capping fools left and right in slowmo FUCK YEA

*boots up Max Payne3*

You are definitely not invincible when Shoot-Dodging. It's one of the things that utterly wrecks Last Stand, since you can get tagged and instead of taking the shortest distance to the guy who got you, you end up spinning in the other direction and it takes too long and then you die.

MMaRsu

Ya so i started over and it ended up being a lot more fun with free aim and the speeds on 7. The cut-scenes are still driving me crazy though. That flicker really REALLY bothers me. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.

Yeah we all know and I think everyone agrees it's way overused and annoying. It doesnt get on my nerves cause I'm used to it but it's stupid. I wish they would have stuck with comic book cutscenes and then put cutscenes after that to introduce Max to the level, but just small cutscenes like in MP2.

You are definitely not invincible when Shoot-Dodging.

Yeah thought so.

Yeah we all know and I think everyone agrees it's way overused and annoying. It doesnt get on my nerves cause I'm used to it but it's stupid. I wish they would have stuck with comic book cutscenes and then put cutscenes after that to introduce Max to the level, but just small cutscenes like in MP2.

Yeah thought so.

Yes, absolutely. Why would you take out one of the key components that made Max Payne, Max Payne?!?! But i guess thats what you get when you change from Remedy to Rstar.

Sethos

Banned
I have a feeling they'll offer the preload on the 29th now.

And still no reply from R* concerning my game-mode / type question :(

ZeroRay

That's great. I could literally hear him say something along those lines. Well done. :)

Thanks! :)

"Hey Max, I found the map to *some artifact*. It's in the Amazon. Well it was the Amazon, now it's around what we call Sao Paulo."

"Great. Everything I try to forget finds a way to drift back into my life. I wanted to leave that shithole behind, but instead I'm following another shithole back there. Maybe I do this to myself, I don't want to forget my past. I'm addicted to it, like a junkie trying to get his fix. But my fix is just that: Trying to put together the fragments by going back to where I broke it. I think the treasure hunting thing is the same for him, something he desperately wants to do for some non-existent father figure's approval."

Drake and Max mode for PS All Stars!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This fanfiction is absolutely making me cringe. You guys are horrible.

MMaRsu

Yes, absolutely. Why would you take out one of the key components that made Max Payne, Max Payne?!?! But i guess thats what you get when you change from Remedy to Rstar.

Remedy always wanted cutscenes for the original but it was just way too expensive. But come on honestly for a franchise to bring back, Max deserved comic book story IMO. Fuck this half assed nonsense they came up with, and all the effects are just dumb it doesnt make any sense.

Please stop making up a Drake and Max buddymovie, because that would suck, because Drake sucks.

Yeah you aren't invincible, but it does give you an advantage over the enemies targeting you right away.

Remedy always wanted cutscenes for the original but it was just way too expensive. But come on honestly for a franchise to bring back, Max deserved comic book story IMO. Fuck this half assed nonsense they came up with, and all the effects are just dumb it doesnt make any sense.

They put out a new comic if that is what you are looking for. Go read it.

NIN90

You are definitely not invincible when Shoot-Dodging. It's one of the things that utterly wrecks Last Stand, since you can get tagged and instead of taking the shortest distance to the guy who got you, you end up spinning in the other direction and it takes too long and then you die.

I'm very certain that shootdodge makes you invincible. I never died during shootdodge (unlike MP1 and MP2 where it was very common for me :s) only after the bullet time ends when Max is lying on the ground.

You're not invincible during shootdodge, but it makes you a much more difficult target for the enemies to get a bead on. Diving around like a madman for the last few levels saved my ass during my NYM Hardcore playthrough. But yeah, I hate how fucking long it takes for Max to get his fat ass off the ground.

Please stop making up a Drake and Max buddymovie, because that would suck, because Drake sucks.

Im sure they did want cut-scenes, but in the end, the way they made it ended up giving it a different, original vibe because of that. Like the other guy said, you could have had comic book presentation even using the engine, then a cutscene to enter the level. But to not have it at all? Like seriously? Those little things bother me so much you cant even imagine.

Its like when i played Halo2 and so forth, and none of the Elites did that "wort wort wort" sound anymore and suddenly all spoke english. God damnit!

I like the effect. Especially when it helps blend into different scenes. The opening shit with Max taking a drink and the camera pans around his back and it quickly flashes him back into New York with the leather jacket then flashes back. Amazing.

Yeah, also asked for a no-respawn mode ala de_ / search & destroy or a Team Survival mode like R6 Vegas. Couple that with no bursts and I'd be in MP heaven.

There is a mode like that in one of the stages in gang wars. Team Deathmatch everyone has one life no respawns.

MMaRsu

Not for me. After a shoot dodge, Max take so much time to get back on his feet that you get showered to death by bullets.

Dont dive into an open spot.. take out a few guys or at least harm them so they wont shoot at you, and activate bullettime when you hit the ground so you can stand up in bullettime but still get a few shots off.

Top Bottom