• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
So far I am nearing the end of Chapter X I think, possibly XI (
Fighting my way out of the launch in the Panama canal
) and I've been loving every moment of the game. Not one cut scene have I seen that I was like 'Come on, lets get into more action'. Just really been enjoying the pacing of the game, the environments, voice acting, the story (what there is). I can understand why people hate not being able to skip the cut scenes in a second playthrough but I can understand why they've done it like they did. It could've been a lot worse, R* might've been able to do something different but I think what they've done works well.

Perhaps if the people who had avoided all footage before release and aren't overly happy with the gameplay were told it is essentially a Gears of War style cover shooter set in modern times then there would be a few less disappointed people. I know I would've like a little more substance to the gameplay but when the original game was based on just shooting and bullet time, well, you can't change the core gameplay too much or it wouldn't be Max Payne.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm sure the story and action will ramp up but SIMULATED DRUNK SCREEN EFFECTS and HIGHLIGHT TEXT during slow moving 10 minute cutscenes is about as far away from what I was looking for in this as possible. I'm not far in at all, but I miss everything about the old Max Payne. The brevity, the comic cutscenes, the humour.

You're not new, you should have known by now that you gotta wait at least 1 month for the usual GAF raving on AAA game #354 to settle and have honest impressions start surfacing, especially if you're like me and don't follow every bit of media that gets out pre-release.

See: GTA IV, Uncharted 3, Killzone 2/3, Skyrim, MGS4, LA Noire, RE:5... etc.

That being said, I'm sure I'll like the game being someone who isn't attached at all to the IP/previous games and also going by the opinion of gaffers whom I respect.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm sure the story and action will ramp up but SIMULATED DRUNK SCREEN EFFECTS and HIGHLIGHT TEXT during slow moving 10 minute cutscenes is about as far away from what I was looking for in this as possible. I'm not far in at all, but I miss everything about the old Max Payne. The brevity, the comic cutscenes, the humour.
Max Payne somehow toed the line between self-serious and parody, but I don't know if R* has the subtlety to make that work. GTA has always come off as really cartoony to me.

Pet peeve: Auto-crawling to your feet after a shootdodge. Why doesn't the game give you the option to shoot from your back like you do during a last stand? Makes shootdodging pointless, particularly in multiplayer.

Pet peeve 2: The omni-directional homing melee attack in multiplayer.

Pet peeve 3: Sniper rifles are in this game for god knows what reason.

It's completely irritating that the most efficient way to play multiplayer is also the most anti-fun and basically the antithesis of Max Payne.

Pet peeve: Auto-crawling to your feet after a shootdodge. Why doesn't the game give you the option to shoot from your back like you do during a last stand? Makes shootdodging pointless, particularly in multiplayer.

Pet peeve 2: The omni-directional homing melee attack in multiplayer.

Pet peeve 3: Sniper rifles are in this game for god knows what reason.

It's completely irritating that the most efficient way to play multiplayer is also the most anti-fun and basically the antithesis of Max Payne.

What do you mean? After shoot dodges, I lie prone all the time. I have a tendency to blast the enemy's legs out from that position.

MMaRsu

Dont move the left analog after a shootdodge to stay on the floor and be able to shoot...

You didnt figure this out for yourself bro?

:)

And the sniper rifle section is like taking out 4 baddies, easiest shit ever..

Dont move the left analog after a shootdodge to stay on the floor and be able to shoot...

You didnt figure this out for yourself bro?

:)

And the sniper rifle section is like taking out 4 baddies, easiest shit ever..

No, I did not, and I don't think there's anywhere that explains that. Beyond that, shootdodging has a ton of other problems like the constantly threat of grazing some geometry and having your bullet-time interrupted, sending your body sprawling to the ground.

As for Sniper rifles I was referring to their presence in multiplayer.

pakkit

Banned
No, I did not, and I don't think there's anywhere that explains that. Beyond that, shootdodging has a ton of other problems like the constantly threat of grazing some geometry and having your bullet-time interrupted, sending your body sprawling to the ground.

I don't see that as a problem. It means you can't constantly spam shootdodge, and you've got to be aware of your surroundings before plunging headfirst into the unknown.

I did have to change my usage of shootdodge for this game, but all 3 MPs have had difference uses of similar mechanics.

As for Sniper rifles I was referring to their presence in multiplayer.

Not to be difficult, but I actually view this as one of the things I like, possibly a hate/love thing though. I love having to be aware and tactical with its use.

Not to be difficult, but I actually view this as a one of the things I like, possibly a hate/love thing though. I love having to be aware and tactical with its use.

I agree. And people are complaining about getting shot while standing up from shootdodge, but without that risk the move would be gamebreakingly easy. Don't shootdodge if you'll be in a position to get lit up. It's simple.

Fabrik

Banned
It probably wasn't an intentional choice, but in MP3, Max is older and has aged even more rapidly because of his addictions, so it stands to reason that Rockstar would make him slower than in previous games.

This is a poor excuse. It still makes the game less fun/fluid. Rockstar has never been known to make great controllable character anyways. It's still good but Max Payne 2 was way more enjoyable and was as polished as this.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
One thing I really dislike about the last stand mechanic is you can't control the way Max falls out of it. There have been times, especially in the late game chapters, where he could have fallen backwards/to the left to be safe while he stood up, but instead falls to the right and ends up getting shot into another last stand while he gets up. I actually burned through 3 painkillers when this happened against one of those machine gun assholes.

StuBurns

Banned
Played a few hours, I think it's pretty amazing. I'm surprised people were down on the visuals too, I think it's probably the best looking multiplatform game I've played.

Bailey 87

Completed the game, enjoyed it immensely. Replaying it again on hardcore already on chapter 4. It's weird how it feels easier than hard, but it could be because I have improved greatly.

I can understand why people complain about the over use of cut scenes but as a person who loves cut scenes in games I really got immersed in them.

I don't understand why people play this as a cover shooter, the shoot dodge is overpowered in my view (which I love) and I barely used cover at all, as you can see. (11 hours to complete, 43 mins in cover)

MaxPayne.png

I can see myself completing the story mode at least three times and staying with the multi player. I'm actually considering buying the Rockstar pass.

If I was to rate this game I would give it a solid 9.

iNvid02

deathmatch in bronco is so good, the mp is fantastic but the freezing, load times and small number of maps are quite disappointing right now.

if they can get their shit together i might just bite on that pass, it is expensive no question about it, but i found my psn wallet had £29 left in it
which hasn't been used since buying journey

deathmatch in bronco is so good, the mp is fantastic but the freezing, load times and small number of maps are quite disappointing right now.

if they can get their shit together i might just bite on that pass

Pretty much my biggest issue with mutli right now.

The load times are absolutely brutal. I'm so glad that my console is right next to my computer, or I would lose my mind.

Edit:

Also, the lack of balancing.

It still is a very enjoyable experience though.

Montresor

I think I made a mistake. :(

I was trying to go for a Hard playthrough, but I remembered that I started from the beginning in the chapter select. To get the trophy, do you have to start a new game on hard?

Start a new playthrough. It's as close to confirmed as you can get that chapter select doesn't work.

Ridley327

When did this freezing in mp start happening to people? I haven't experienced it yet.

I haven't had any freezing yet, but the patch has found a way to make the matchmaking loading even longer than it was before (and that's no small feat), and I've run into a variety of weird glitches, like being greeted with a half-finished Max drinking out of a shotglass as if I was at the main menu as my loading screen.

StuBurns

Banned
I have a quick question about the campaign.

In the second flashback, there is a bit when you need to get close to a memorial thing with a sniper at the top. I don't understand what I'm meant to do there. First time I just got to the top and the guy kept telling me not to go on the stairs. Second time I tried not to go up the stairs, and tried to see the sniper from the ground and couldn't.

It's actually nice that it confused me, one thing about the game I'm not crazy about is there's basically no natural breaks in the progression, reminds me of Uncharted in that sense. There are chapters, but they don't have any real down time for breaks.

In the second flashback, there is a bit when you need to get close to a memorial thing with a sniper at the top. I don't understand what I'm meant to do there. First time I just got to the top and the guy kept telling me not to go on the stairs. Second time I tried not to go up the stairs, and tried to see the sniper from the ground and couldn't.

It's actually nice that it confused me, one thing about the game I'm not crazy about is there's basically no natural breaks in the progression, reminds me of Uncharted in that sense. There are chapters, but they don't have any real down time for breaks.

You have to run to the left side of the stairs and you can flank him that way.

rvy

Banned

Flank him on the ground, you need to shoot him fthrough one of the window openings on the side.

Go to the left of the stairs and shoot the sniper from behind the big tombstone things.

Gui_PT

Anyone feel the portuguese isn't quite right?

Feels like they translated the script from english on google translate and made actors read it word by word instead of how people would actually say stuff in portuguese

My copy finally arrived today.

I'm sure theres a Max Payne game in here somewhere that everyones raving about, but the presentation so far makes me want to kill myself. Good lord.

Hey, instead of keeping that amazing and original sin city/comic book presentation, they decided to take a more artsy/annoying direction.

Anyone who thinks this is a good presentation should go back and pop-in MP2. Not only was that presentation more original, but it also WAS Max Payne, or so i thought...

One of the reasons the PC version might be a better purchase now is that someone might mod that presentation style back in somehow. THAT would be awesome. But i have to say, i still cant believe how clueless Rstar are when it comes to Max Payne presentation.

KalBalboa

Banned
Hey, instead of keeping that amazing and original sin city/comic book presentation, they decided to take a more artsy/annoying direction.

Anyone who thinks this is a good presentation should go back and pop-in MP2. Not only was that presentation more original, but it also WAS Max Payne, or so i thought...

One of the reasons the PC version might be a better purchase now is that someone might mod that presentation style back in somehow. THAT would be awesome. But i have to say, i still cant believe how clueless Rstar are when it comes to Max Payne presentation.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one.

I find Max Payne 3's contemporary noir presentation to be pretty slick, myself. I'm a big fan of Michael Mann films, which this heavily borrows from, and the game oozes inspiration from his work as well as Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive. I like the updates and find it to be a little less hammy then the older games, and the transitions from cutscenes into gameplay are so seemless that I frankly wouldn't want it any other way.

If the game felt exactly like Max Payne's 1 and 2 then I'd actually have more of an issue with the games being too similar, but I'll admit that I felt the most at home during the flashback scenes. The diversity is much appreciated though and I applaud them for doing something so different and so well.

Ryan_Gosling_Drive.png

Fry

Anyone feel the portuguese isn't quite right?

Feels like they translated the script from english on google translate and made actors read it word by word instead of how people would actually say stuff in portuguese

The cursing is spot on. But the dialogues feel a little.. robotic sometimes. They all sound the same when screaming, I dunno, it's weird. But the swearing is awesome.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
On Chapter 9 now, loving the hell out of this, really think this might be my favorite Rockstar game of the generation. I live the presentation myself, but can see how others might not.

cackhyena

Yes, they are clueless. They just fumbled around through development and this is the result, I guess. Lol Rockstar get your shit together.

KalBalboa

Banned
I beat mp2 or the first time this past weekend. I truly think some of you have hard time taking off the nostalgia lenses. Max payne was never about presentation at its core. It was about fun gameplay and a thriller story. MP3 has all that and more in spades. If anything, i enjoy the character more now than i ever have.

Me too. I think the game dealt with his alcoholism and fear to confront his own humility in a really interesting way at times. The story sets up
the fact he's being used
and how he's unable to notice it not as a sign of stupidity but as something he's sort of a fraid to confront.

Max hates thinking about himself and every time he does he needs to drink, which is why
him kicking the sauce
is so important when it does happen. That sort of thing made him more interesting, in my book.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For x360 users: is your box art green or white/transparent?

Mine is white, I found it quite cool, and odd.
That is odd. Where'd you buy it?

GeoramA

The sound keeps cutting out constantly now (PS3).

That combined with me being uninterested in the serious story it's trying to tell, I think I'm done with this game.

iNvid02

question: when you press triangle/y in mp (non-melee) your player shouts something, my chick avatar usually says something like "your a fucking piece of shit"

can other players/enemies hear this? sometimes i just have a habit of pressing it when im in cover, wanna know if its leading people towards me after hearing it

MMaRsu

The multiplayer is serioudly fucking broken on ps3 right now. Fuck you rockstar get ur shit together. Fuck so frustrating i cant play one goddamn game without getting disconnected.

SnakeNL

Finally completed the game, absolutely loved it.
It really ramps up the last couple of chapters.

Now i can really dig in to the multiplayer.

Top Bottom