• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Dont dive into an open spot.. take out a few guys or at least harm them so they wont shoot at you, and activate bullettime when you hit the ground so you can stand up in bullettime but still get a few shots off.

People also seem to be underestimating just shooting enemies in the legs to ground them quickly, or shooting the hand they are holding the gun in. It's euphoria baby, USE IT!

holy shit this game is not fun --> second playthrough. can't skip 5 min cutscenes and the END of the chapter. can't skip 5 min cutscenes at the beginning of the chapter.

I wanted to collect all guns but no, I won't. this is everything but fun.

You have got to be one of the most inconsistent posters on this thread. One minute you hate the game and bash it incessantly due to your own inpatience or lack of skill, the next minute you are praising it. Coop would hate the fact you're using him as your avatar.

jtrov

Finished this over the weekend and "wow", what an amazing and incredible ride it was. I honestly can't remember the last time a game made made me yell, "holy shit" as much as I did. Really enjoyed the story and the shocking moments throughout, which in my opinion, made the end chapter and ending so rewarding. The campaign as a whole was so damn satisfying and I can't wait to replay some of those moments in New York Minute. Played through it on Hard for my first playthrough and it really kicked my ass through out. However, it was awesome seeing how much increasingly better I got over time. It was to the point where it honestly felt like I was playing the game "right", by understanding the layout of an area, the enemy position, and then using that to know where to shoot dodge and bullet time to take out the masses without getting lit up.

Since beating it I've been playing a ton of the multiplayer and so far I'm really enjoying. My only real problem is the spawns can be terrible at times. Playing Gang Wars and often after death I'll find myself in a string of spawns right where the enemy is, giving me no time to get my bearings straight and shot at right from the jump. Other than that though, I'm really enjoying the hell out of the MP especially Payne Killers and Gang Wars. Definitely see myself logging a ton of hours into the MP over the summer.

Also tried New York Minute for the first time last night and playing it made me realize even more of just how awesome the Chapters are in this game. Played up until Chapter 3 where I died towards to end and decided that was a good point to call it quits for the night. But I can't wait to dive back and and try to speed through these Chapters with style.

Amazing game overall.

Just realized, do enemies not limp around when shot in the legs? I remember in Red Dead, shooting someone in the leg would make them move much more slowly, while getting both legs would make them kneel and try to take you out from there. But I do like how much impact the shotguns have in this game. They have a decent range, and enemy reactions to them are awesome.

Lingxor

I don't really get the complaints of shoot-dodging being useless...

I know that it's what Max Payne is known for, but you can't expect it to work all the time. It's not outrageous to assume that Max would get fucking killed when laying prone out in the open... It's still really handy for getting safely to cover or getting more bullet-time than you would with just a standard activation. It doesn't seem all that different from the original games.

You are invincible during Shootdodge. I think shooting from cover is actually more dangerous than Shootdodging (on Hard atleast)

Yes, it is. There are plenty of situations in the game playing on Hard where if you stay put trying to kill everyone like in Uncharted you'll be dead real soon, but if you're constantly Shootdodging and rolling you'll survive. Cover should only be used to charge Bullet-time, catch your breath and launch yourself into Shootdodge.

jtrov

What happens if you die during New York Minute? Is the time limit affected at all? Also, what is the difficulty level?

If you die, you start from the beginning of the Chapter. I think the default New York Minute is on Normal, because enemies aim was no where near on point as it was after playing the campaign on Hard.

-Amon-

Remedy always wanted cutscenes for the original but it was just way too expensive. But come on honestly for a franchise to bring back, Max deserved comic book story IMO. Fuck this half assed nonsense they came up with, and all the effects are just dumb it doesnt make any sense.

The comic book story solution could not work with those asslong loading times. They should put down the equivalent of all Vagabond Manga to cover the loading times of this game with comics.

AEREC

holy shit this game is not fun --> second playthrough. can't skip 5 min cutscenes and the END of the chapter. can't skip 5 min cutscenes at the beginning of the chapter.

I wanted to collect all guns but no, I won't. this is everything but fun.

Would you rather stare at loading screens?

Lima

Would you rather stare at loading screens?

The game is not loading for 5 minutes. That is just bullshit unless the dudes at Rockstar Vancouver have no idea what they are doing.

You just can't skip some of them because they WANT you to see them.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
i don't really understand the complaints with the checkpoint system, either. you might have to redo a section, but you aren't getting completely fucked over by it.
I agree. Plus, with each subsequent try, you're more familiar with where the enemies are, and you're probably getting more painkillers. It's almost always fair; none of my deaths ever feel cheap. I'm concerned about how many game reviewers these days just want there to be a WIN BUTTON or something.

To the dude with the sniper rifle aim issues, it's apparently a glitch if you use inverted controls, and Rockstar is aware of it. It's really annoying.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The game is not loading for 5 minutes. That is just bullshit unless the dudes at Rockstar Vancouver have no idea what they are doing.

You just can't skip some of them because they WANT you to see them.

No, goddammit. The loading loads the scene as well as it progresses. It's great for a first playthrough, tough to swallow on a second. That's all.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Feedback so far, loving the multiplayer, I have noticed that no one really sticks together though. It seems so easy to sneak up behind entire teams.

As far as campaign goes I have barely scratched the service but not impressed yet, waiting for it to get it better.

This fanfiction is absolutely making me cringe. You guys are horrible.

"The envy on his shrived face was dripping from his pores like booze from the shot glass after I drink myself to sleep with a cocktail of whiskey and self-pity. I felt kinda bad for the guy. Imagine sitting at a keyboard masking your jealously with a facade of bravado that would make a pimp double take. He was almost worse than me. Quite an accomplishment."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"The envy on his shrived face was dripping from his pores like booze from the shot glass after I drink myself to sleep with a cocktail of whiskey and self-pity. I felt kinda bad for the guy. Imagine sitting at a keyboard masking your jealously with a facade of bravado that would make a pimp double take. He was almost worse than me. Quite an accomplishment."

I'm gonna shake you like a baby over in Wrassle-GAF! Just you wait!

badyu17

Played MP for a few hours, just as I was finishing game locked-up console while connecting to last game. Other than that multi has potential and I like it for now but I hope for some additional tweaking, spawn locations for example. Btw how do you melee someone in multi?

I'm gonna shake you like a baby over in Wrassle-GAF! Just you wait!

"They yelled threats as hollow as the bullets whizzing past me that I've come to know so well. The only time I feel alive is when I'm on the brink. When I'm one step closer to them. Those threats seemed to be the only conversation I could muster out of people after a drink. Those threats seemed to be last words a lot of them said."

"They yelled threats as hollow as the bullets whizzing past me that I've come to know so well. The only time I feel alive is when I'm on the brink. When I'm one step closer to them. Those threats seemed to be the only conversation I could muster out of people after a drink. Those threats seemed to be last words a lot of them said."

You're on a roll. XD

jtrov

Played MP for a few hours, just as I was finishing game locked-up console while connecting to last game. Other than that multi has potential and I like it for now but I hope for some additional tweaking, spawn locations for example. Btw how do you melee someone in multi?

Yeah the spawn system leaves much to be desired. Really hope they tweak it, because there is nothing more annoying than spawning into shots the second you reappear.

As for the melee, just get close and hit Y for Xbox 360 (or Triangle I suppose if on PS3). Sometimes you'll even see the prompt pop up for a split second.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

You'll never understand, Wrecker! I'm outta here, and taking my love of Max Payne with me! I won't let you sully his name with this poorly written fanfiction!

You'll never understand, Wrecker! I'm outta here, and taking my love of Max Payne with me! I won't let you sully his name with this poorly written fanfiction!

"Tail tucked, he ran and hid from his demons. He was more like me than I thought. An expendable poster on a crusade against himself. I suspect we'll meet again. The world isn't big enough for 2 Max Paynes, and things have a way of....balancing themselves out. Gunpowder usually tipped those scales."

The Fall Of Sunflower

Fabrik

Banned
I was watching some video walkthrough of Max Payne 2 on youtube and it's amazing how smoother it feels. Just compare the time it takes for Max to get back on his legs after a shoot dodge. He jumps back on his two feet. Bam! It's almost instantaneous. And your dodge never stops when you collide with something which makes it a lot more fun to use. I think Rockstar went a little overboard with the realistic animation system to the detriment of pure fun.
Another big problem I didn't mention is that everytime Max open a door in Max Payne 3 there's a small cutscene. There's almost never 5 minutes of gameplay without any interruption. Max Payne 2 > May Payne 3. Clearly.

Sethos

Banned
That strikes me as a bit too hardcore for this, honestly. The 1 life mode in Gang Wars turns into a camp fest almost instantly. MP3 isn't the right game for it IMO.

No game is 'wrong' for that kind of mode. I'd love to see that kind of mode in a bit faster paced TPS, like an action style SOCOM game. Sure, it's definitely not a mode for everyone but no reason not to cater for as many people as possible. Doesn't hurt anyone with an extra entry or two on the playlist. Every game that has no respawns turns into a slower paced tactical game quite automatically, which makes it 100x more enjoyable for me. That's why Team Survival ala R6 Vegas probably isn't a good idea as that was the actual textbook definition of camping but something like a true de_ / S&D mode would require people to move towards objectives or lose.

I would give me left kidney for that.

Some people also said Call of Duty was the wrong game for HC S&D, the best mode in that game.

No game is 'wrong' for that kind of mode. I'd love to see that kind of mode in a bit faster paced TPS, like an action style SOCOM game. Sure, it's definitely not a mode for everyone but no reason not to cater for as many people as possible. Doesn't hurt anyone with an extra entry or two on the playlist. Every game that has no respawns turns into a slower paced tactical game quite automatically, which makes it 100x more enjoyable for me. That's why Team Survival ala R6 Vegas probably isn't a good idea as that was the actual textbook definition of camping but something like a true de_ / S&D mode would require people to move towards objectives or lose.

I would give me left kidney for that.

Some people also said Call of Duty was the wrong game for HC S&D, the best mode in that game.

MAYBE objective based, but I don't know. I can already hear people raging when their 1 life is wasted because they got caught in bullet time and have to sit out for 10 minutes while people crouch walk all over the map.

How about Rockstar works on getting soft-lock OUT of multiplayer FIRST, then worry about hardcore, 1 life game modes.

Sethos

Banned
MAYBE objective based, but I don't know. I can already hear people raging when their 1 life is wasted because they got caught in bullet time and have to sit out for 10 minutes while people crouch walk all over the map.

Hence why we asked for them to remove bursts and all that, vanilla mode. iAdvantage buttons are the work of Satan and needs to go. And as i said, not everyone is cut out for these modes. Just because a few impatient people don't like waiting, it doesn't mean the rest of us hate it too.

There is nothing more satisfying when each kill truly counts and you know they are out of the round when they die, ultimate multiplayer satisfaction of all time.

I'd love to see these kind of modes and playstyles in an action oriented TPS with proper gunplay.

"Need a hand?"

"No, do you?"

Love how he says it on two separate occasions (Chap 1 & 4). It's like his own personal little witty retort when someone asks him that.

Mr.Green

Waiting for the PC port is getting hard...

Could someone post comparison shots showing how much more awesome the PC version will be to stop me from buying it for the 360 tonight?

tumblr_lsvlymYDAf1qmnd2v.gif

bumclot

I was watching some video walkthrough of Max Payne 2 on youtube and it's amazing how smoother it feels. Just compare the time it takes for Max to get back on his legs after a shoot dodge. He jumps back on his two feet. Bam! It's almost instantaneous. And your dodge never stops when you collide with something which makes it a lot more fun to use. I think Rockstar went a little overboard with the realistic animation system to the detriment of pure fun.
Another big problem I didn't mention is that everytime Max open a door in Max Payne 3 there's a small cutscene. There's almost never 5 minutes of gameplay without any interruption. Max Payne 2 > May Payne 3. Clearly.

It probably wasn't an intentional choice, but in MP3, Max is older and has aged even more rapidly because of his addictions, so it stands to reason that Rockstar would make him slower than in previous games. MP2 definitely was better for running-and-gunning, but MP3 is without a doubt a more polished experience.

Perhaps you should go to an easier difficulty. Shootdodge was almost a no-go in some situations on hard, but on easy I was diving all over the place with zero repercussions.

olore

So is the dodging and bullettime:eing like the difference between MP to MP2? Because I much prefer how 2 handled that gameplay aspect, it`s nigh on perfect

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
My copy finally arrived today.

I'm sure theres a Max Payne game in here somewhere that everyones raving about, but the presentation so far makes me want to kill myself. Good lord.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm sure the story and action will ramp up but SIMULATED DRUNK SCREEN EFFECTS and HIGHLIGHT TEXT during slow moving 10 minute cutscenes is about as far away from what I was looking for in this as possible. I'm not far in at all, but I miss everything about the old Max Payne. The brevity, the comic cutscenes, the humour.

cackhyena

Did you not look at any of the media beforehand? Why people assume it's gonna feel like the same ol Max Payne under a new developer is beyond me.

ezekial45

Banned
I think I made a mistake. :(

I was trying to go for a Hard playthrough, but I remembered that I started from the beginning in the chapter select. To get the trophy, do you have to start a new game on hard?

CTE

I'm sure the story and action will ramp up but SIMULATED DRUNK SCREEN EFFECTS and HIGHLIGHT TEXT during slow moving 10 minute cutscenes is about as far away from what I was looking for in this as possible. I'm not far in at all, but I miss everything about the old Max Payne. The brevity, the comic cutscenes, the humour.

There's plenty of dry humor in the back on forth between characters. Max isn't slapstick.

Top Bottom