• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Am I the only one who, after the ending and credits,
just watched Max sit there at his little table by the beach bar, at the menu screen? I loved watching him drink his soda, while contemplating about everything that had happened and about what lies ahead.
I thought that was a great final touch.

If I finish most of the game on Medium and then go back by chapter select on Hard mode will it actually save everything I do on Hard so I can get the achievement? Or do I have to start a new game?

There doesn't seem to be any kind of progress indicator to tell you what difficulty you've completed chapters on.

Anybody?

Am I just missing the progress indicator or did they seriously give you no heads up as to what difficulty you've beaten each chapter on?

Fjordson

Am I the only one who, after the ending and credits,
just watched Max sit there at his little table by the beach bar, at the menu screen? I loved watching him drink his soda, while contemplating about everything that had happened and about what lies ahead.
I thought that was a great final touch.
I definitely did. As I've said before, I loved the ending scene. Simple, but effective.

Montresor

Anybody?

Am I just missing the progress indicator or did they seriously give you no heads up as to what difficulty you've beaten each chapter on?

I've read that this doesn't work. You've gotta start a new game on hard and do it from start to finish! I wouldn't risk chapter select!

This isn't definitive proof, but here you go: http://www.trueachievements.com/viewcomment.aspx?commentid=461507#vch. In the link the guy talks about trying to unlock the achievement for beating the game on hardcore using chapter select.

Hi guys!

Just finished this in chapter select on Hardcore and no Achievement! So just a warning, complete this under the new game option.

I've read that this doesn't work. You've gotta start a new game on hard and do it from start to finish! I wouldn't risk chapter select!

This isn't definitive proof, but here you go: http://www.trueachievements.com/viewcomment.aspx?commentid=461507#vch. In the link the guy talks about trying to unlock the achievement for beating the game on hardcore using chapter select.

Thanks broseph. I'll just start a new game. I was only half way through chapter 2 anyway.

Marleyman

Banned
Agreed 100%, but I'm coming more from a fundamental mechanics/controls point of view. Even in SP, the controls never completely clicked with me and they're not really AAA in my books, so to have a lot of the sparkle taken away in MP, I'm left with zero motivation to invest time in it, especially with Ghost Recon a day away.

That is all you had to say, man. You were cheering for Recon during the beta while doubting this game before it came out.

Sidzed2

Agreed 100%, but I'm coming more from a fundamental mechanics/controls point of view. Even in SP, the controls never completely clicked with me and they're not really AAA in my books, so to have a lot of the sparkle taken away in MP, I'm left with zero motivation to invest time in it, especially with Ghost Recon a day away.

You are such a Buzz Killington ;)

Storyline, writing and atmosphere aside (because they're all clearly superior), does anybody else think MP3 could have added a little something by 'borrowing' the table-sliding mechanic from Stranglehold?

soultron

Banned
Man, I just finished Hard and I'm absolutely dreading the final fight on Hardcore and Old School.

The terminal was as awesome as ever. But fuck the last boss fight. That shit is terrible on the harder difficulties.

Any word on if the gaf crew is getting expanded at all? It seems weird that we're locked to 300 but there are a ton out there with far more. Is it because it's a private crew? Because it's both ps3/360. It's just frustrating seeing a lot of people in the crew who haven't touched the multiplayer with a ton of us seemingly looking in from the outside.

Storyline, writing and atmosphere aside (because they're all clearly superior), does anybody else think MP3 could have added a little something by 'borrowing' the table-sliding mechanic from Stranglehold?

Maybe, but it wasn't even that well done in Stranglehold. I remember hardly using it beause it was just awkard.
I think they had a better solution here of just going over it.

Also, I lost my shit again when I landed on a pile of dudes after shoot dodging and the physics reacted accordingly IE: I was propped up on them and when I shifted weight, their bodies would too

soultron

Banned
Any word on if the gaf crew is getting expanded at all? It seems weird that we're locked to 300 but there are a ton out there with far more. Is it because it's a private crew? Because it's both ps3/360. It's just frustrating seeing a lot of people in the crew who haven't touched the multiplayer with a ton of us seemingly looking in from the outside.

Rockstar crews made for other games (like the Red Dead Rustlers or whatever) can have more than 300.

Sethos

Banned
Dude, it's 3 days.

Hoping on MP now if anyone wants to play on 360. GT: soultron

Yeah, because 3 days isn't a fucking eternity. So easy to say that when you're already playing the game and we're still waiting. Our only comfort is this spoilerrific thread.

Isn't bad enough they are already making us wait 2 weeks beyond release, now they are also toying with us.

Rockstar crews made for other games (like the Red Dead Rustlers or whatever) can have more than 300.

So does this mean that all hope is lost for getting into the gaf crew for this? Last I had heard there were others with more members (somethingawful specifically comes to mind) that didn't seem specifically for other rockstar games

soultron

Banned
So does this mean that all hope is lost for getting into the gaf crew for this? Last I had heard there were others with more members (somethingawful specifically comes to mind) that didn't seem specifically for other rockstar games

Someone should make a GAF2 crew.

I think a new crew would be a good idea. Pre-release lists are a good idea, but so many people are like "Day 1 OMFG" but they never get the game.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Yeah, because 3 days isn't a fucking eternity. So easy to say that when you're already playing the game and we're still waiting. Our only comfort is this spoilerrific thread.

Isn't bad enough they are already making us wait 2 weeks beyond release, now they are also toying with us.
It's only 8 more days.

Btw, hows the wait for Red Dead going? ;)

Max Payne 3 Sells 3 Million Copies

Well deserved i guess? from what i've read in this thread most GAFfers like it a lot, so i can't wait to get my hands on the PC version.

tumblr_m2mtrnkLWF1rnp65a.gif

Untracked

A friend of mine struggled to Chapter 13 on Medium without knowing you can click RS for Bullet-Time. He was Shoot-dodging everywhere and went from screaming about the game being "too hard" with "too many fucking enemies!" to "WOW!" "OMG!" "This is amazing!".

I've put around 10 hours into Multiplayer, which is mostly great fun. I'm starting to wish it had a few more maps. Deathmatch has been a major clusterfuck of bad spawns for me but I'm really loving Gang Wars.
Paranoia and Sneaky are the most rage-inducing shit I've seen in a game for a long time, but overall it's been fun so I'm gonna stick with it for now.

soultron

Banned
Had 2 hardlocks tonight. One in SP (Chapter XIV) and one in MP (TDM).

This shit is kind of getting on my nerves. I'm not going to put money down on the Rockstar Pass unless this stuff gets addressed in the next patch.

I'm scared to play NYMHC because of this too.

That is all you had to say, man. You were cheering for Recon during the beta while doubting this game before it came out.

BUSTED! GR:FS had a good beta and Rockstar have a pretty average record when it comes to games that "feel" good, so you can't really have a go at me for being a bit apprehensive regarding their first foray into a genre that demands stellar control and tight mechanics. The reactions are completely unrelated, though; it's not like my hype for the beta was a pesky parasite sitting in Max's intestine.

You are such a Buzz Killington ;)

Ha. Hey, I do this once or twice a year. Leave me alone. Funnily enough, LA Noire was my last victim. I was all over that fucker like an ex-cop in a pharmacy.

Sethos

Banned
So mickcenary, why are you still here? You obviously seem to dislike the game somewhat and you're now harping on about a completely different game.

So mickcenary, why are you still here? You obviously seem to dislike the game somewhat and you're now harping on about a completely different game.

For one, I haven't "harped on". I mentioned one other game, one time, that also has a heavy emphasis on multiplayer, just like MP3. Fair enough, methinks.

Secondly, I appreciate you saying "somewhat dislike", 'cause I sure as hell don't hate it; quite the opposite.

And THIRDLY, I enjoy observing the opinions of my peers who have invested the time and effort into a product that I also have, whatever it may be.

I'll tone down the whining, though; just for you, Sethos. Coo de la?

Do not play the game on Hard for your first time through. The game will kick your ass, you'll complain it's cheap and bullshit, and we'll all laugh at you.

There's no shame in playing it on Easy your first time around. I started on Medium and I thought it was plenty challenging.

Yeah, I'm playing the game on Hard for my first playthrough (up to chapter 11) and I can think of 2 or 3 spots where I died a lot, but the feeling I get after pulling through it is great. Still, some people could definitely find it frustrating, so overall I can agree with this statement.

Sethos

Banned
For one, I haven't "harped on". I mentioned one other game, one time, that also has a heavy emphasis on multiplayer, just like MP3. Fair enough, methinks.

Secondly, I appreciate you saying "somewhat", 'cause I sure as hell don't hate it.

And THIRDLY, I enjoy observing the opinions of my peers that have invested the time and effort into a venture that I have, whatever it may be.

I'll tone down the whining, though; just for you, Sethos. Coo de la?

No, you seem to enjoy getting a bit of attention by constantly trying to put down the game in some way, you've already stated you have zero interest in investing any more time in the game and now mentioned you intend to play a different game. That's like going to a restaurant to enjoy a meal, you don't like the food. Yet you stay to complain about the food and you even come back the following days just to sit down and complain - Then you also start telling everyone how much you enjoy the restaurant across the street all whilst everyone around you is enjoying the food and are getting a bit annoyed. Just leave the damn restaurant and don't return instead.

Constructive feedback is great, negative opinions are fine but sounding like a broken record for days is just annoying.

Gustav

Banned
No, you seem to enjoy getting a bit of attention by constantly trying to put down the game in some way, you've already stated you have zero interest in investing any more time in the game and now mentioned you intend to play a different game. That's like going to a restaurant to enjoy a meal, you don't like the food. Yet you stay to complain about the food and you even come back the following days just to sit down and complain - Then you also start telling everyone how much you enjoy the restaurant across the street all whilst everyone around you is enjoying the food and are getting a bit annoyed. Just leave the damn restaurant and don't return instead.

If you're really keen on analogies, it's more like going to a restaurant, not enjoying the food, then going on an internet forum and telling people that the food is not good for this and this reason.

Sethos

Banned
If you're really that annoying by what mickcenary is saying, there's always the ignore list feature.

True.

Let's just all be as annoying as possible, instead of acting a bit more civilized and then put each other on ignore. I have nothing against the guy and he makes some otherwise good posts but I just had to get that off my chest - No reason to ignore him right off the bat.

holy shit this game is not fun --> second playthrough. can't skip 5 min cutscenes and the END of the chapter. can't skip 5 min cutscenes at the beginning of the chapter.

I wanted to collect all guns but no, I won't. this is everything but fun.

Lima

Man, I just finished Hard and I'm absolutely dreading the final fight on Hardcore and Old School.
But fuck the last boss fight. That shit is terrible on the harder difficulties.

Nah. It is really easy once you know how.

Last bossfight spoiler

First you need to make sure that you get all of the 6 painkillers during the train section. First 3 are in the first train and 3 in the second one.

Now shoot the grenade and go into bullet time and take out the three guys to the right with headshots including the one in the airplane.

Now after that it is all just RB RB RB RB left and right. NEVER just stay in cover because he will fire a grenade at you and sometimes you die because of that bullshit even if you are in cover. If you are using shootdoge all the time he will never fire a grenade at you at all.

anddo0

THIS GAME! If a game can get me to play MP after the opening weekend you know it's the real deal. I haven't had this much fun with MP in years.

Constructive feedback is great, negative opinions are fine but sounding like a broken record for days is just annoying.

HEY.

Point taken.

Though, I can't really agree with the, 'better restaurant across the street' / 'Mickcenary is a troll' allegation. If anything, all I've done in that regard is mention - in passing - that I don't eat out much due to time constraints, but when I do, I already have a place lined up; no comparative knocking of Max's restaurant. Were pretty good at analogies, you and I.

I guess maybe I was a bit taken aback having come into the thread and not seeing many, if any posters complaining about the things that I would deem very worthy of complaint. Rockstar and skepticism go hand-in-hand with me. Everyone enjoys seeing others align with their own opinions, but I understand if I've come off a bit heavy-handed here.

Apologies for derailing.

For the record, I just want make sure that everyone knows that I hate this game and its apologists with the strength of a thousand painkillers.
Obviously a joke.

just finished the game and ill be damned if that was not one of the best games i have played in a long while

Its a shame that max payne movie was turned into a marky mark and lots of cgi
as if the movie played out like this game it well could of been the next die hard

Looking foward to the DLC

Sethos

Banned
HEY.

Point taken.

Though, I can't really agree with the, 'better restaurant across the street' / 'Mickcenary is a troll' allegation. If anything, all I've done in that regard is mention - in passing - that I don't eat out much due to time constraints, but when I do, I already have a place lined up; no comparative knocking of Max's restaurant. Were pretty good at analogies, you and I.

I guess maybe I was a bit taken aback having come into the thread and not seeing many, if any posters complaining about the things that I would deem very worthy of complaint. Rockstar and skepticism go hand-in-hand with me. Everyone enjoys seeing others align with their own opinions, but I understand if I've come off a bit heavy-handed here.

Apologies for derailing.

For the record, I just want make sure that everyone knows that I hate this game and its apologists with the strength of a thousand painkillers.
Obviously a joke.

But if this said restaurant ... Okay I'll stop. I'm probably being extremely sensitive with all the waiting, the PC delay and recently being released from the hospital. Now I just have a lot of pent up nerdy frustration. But I do know where you come from, had my fair share of games where I just needed to get something off my chest and perhaps see someone else actually share my opinions but they were far and few in between. So i apologize for being a bit combative.

Just booted up steam and saw Max Payne 3 June 1st. What......the.....fuck. FUCK YOU Europe!! Hahaha, just kidding. I hope we will get a preload though.

Top Bottom