• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Sidzed2

I just got this game today and i dunno if its cause my expectations were a bit high for it, but im really not impressed.

So far i find the game very dark and i mean lighting wise, and that "artsy" flicker in the cut-scenes is already driving me bananas. I absolutely hate it and wish i could turn it off.

Gun play is nice but the levels so far are so restrictive that it gets old real fast. And no more comic book presentation?? What the hell is that?!?

Please tell me it gets better.

Um it's the best pure TPS I've ever played, so yeah I think it gets better :)

soultron

Banned
I just got this game today and i dunno if its cause my expectations were a bit high for it, but im really not impressed.

So far i find the game very dark and i mean lighting wise, and that "artsy" flicker in the cut-scenes is already driving me bananas. I absolutely hate it and wish i could turn it off.

Gun play is nice but the levels so far are so restrictive that it gets old real fast. And no more comic book presentation?? What the hell is that?!?

Please tell me it gets better.

What chapter are you on? And please, by God, tell me that you're playing with the aiming speeds cranked and on Free Aim.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wait, what?

I'm this close to picking up the soundtrack. There's some incredible music in this game.

http://support.rockstargames.com/en...xp-and-money-values-in-max-payne-3-muliplayer

New XP values:

Kill: 50 XP
L2 Burst: 25 XP
L3 Burst: 50 XP
Territory First In: 25 XP
Delivery/Grab Pickup: 25 XP
Delivery/Grab Drop-Off: 50 XP
New cash values:

x3 Killstreak: $50
x5 Killstreak: $75
Delivery Pickup: $25
Delivery Drop-Off: $25
Delivery Intercept: $10
Grab Pickup: $50
Grab Drop-Off: $50
Bomb Defused/Planted: $125
Warfare Winning Team: $100
PK Loot Special Corpse: $100 (reduction from $250)
A couple things got boosted but more were lowered and lowered by a larger amounts than the others were raised by. I'm sure the kill point reduction is to keep people from farming kills in the objective rounds in Gang Wars but they applied it globally, not just for objective modes.

soultron

Banned
I just started a few hours ago and im off the chopper in the club. I think i picked the middle one for aim.

You've been playing for a few hours and you're only on Chapter II? You're not even at the good parts yet. Chapter IV is worth sticking it out for if you're not having any fun yet, in my opinion.

Soft Lock is probably the aiming option you're using. The game is basically playing itself for you when you use any aim assists. Switch to Free Aim if you find the enemies take too many rounds to put down; Soft Lock tends to target the centre mass, IIRC, and when the enemies start wearing body armour it'll make downing guys much more difficult if you can't aim for the head/arms/legs manually. (I have my aim settings at 7/7/7 right now and that feels right. The stock aiming speeds on Free Aim were too slow, IMO.)

If you don't like it by the time you hit Chapter V, it might just not be for you, unfortunately.

You've been playing for a few hours and you're only on Chapter II? You're not even at the good parts yet. Chapter IV is worth sticking it out for if you're not having any fun yet, in my opinion.

Soft Lock is probably the aiming option you're using. The game is basically playing itself for you when you use any aim assists. Switch to Free Aim if you find the enemies take too many rounds to put down; Soft Lock tends to target the centre mass, IIRC, and when the enemies start wearing body armour it'll make downing guys much more difficult if you can't aim for the head/arms/legs manually. (I have my aim settings at 7/7/7 right now and that feels right. The stock aiming speeds on Free Aim were too slow, IMO.)

If you don't like it by the time you hit Chapter V, it might just not be for you, unfortunately.

Ya so ill start over like that then. Is Hard challenging or cheap? I have it on medium now.

soultron

Banned
Ya so ill start over like that then. Is Hard challenging or cheap? I have it on medium now.

Do not play the game on Hard for your first time through. The game will kick your ass, you'll complain it's cheap and bullshit, and we'll all laugh at you.

There's no shame in playing it on Easy your first time around. I started on Medium and I thought it was plenty challenging.

You don't have to start the game over to change your aim settings. Just go into the menu and change the settings. Play around with the aiming speeds and acceleration until you find what feels good for you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I'm playing on Hard right now and it's not too bad difficulty wise but I find it less fun than medium since you get so much less adrenaline. You have to play like a cover shooter too much. Medium also gets fairly tough itself later on.

Raptomex

Do not play the game on Hard for your first time through. The game will kick your ass, you'll complain it's cheap and bullshit, and we'll all laugh at you.

There's no shame in playing it on Easy your first time around. I started on Medium and I thought it was plenty challenging.
This. I'll be doing my second playthrough on a harder difficulty through the story mode some time this week.

Well cheap to me is Call of Duty games when you have 6 teammates beside you and yet the AI enemies are all head-shotting you and throwing grenades 200 yards right at your feet.

I just started a few hours ago and im off the chopper in the club. I think i picked the middle one for aim.

Go free-aim and jack everything up; I'm talking 10s across the board. And the general trend in here seems to be that if you're not feeling it right off the bat, it probably won't reach the lofty heights that many in here claim that it does. The game gets better and so will you, but it also becomes a bit repetitive/tiresome with the passage of time.

Go free-aim and jack everything up; I'm talking 10s across the board. And the general trend in here seems to be that if you're not feeling it right off the bat, it probably won't reach the lofty heights that many in here claim that it does. The game gets better and so will you, but it also becomes a bit repetitive/tiresome with the passage of time.

Ya thats what im thinking too. Right off the bat, my general feeling is "i should have waited for it to drop in price". But ill keep playing, we`ll see.

soultron

Banned
Well cheap to me is Call of Duty games when you have 6 teammates beside you and yet the AI enemies are all head-shotting you and throwing grenades 200 yards right at your feet.

Don't be ashamed to keep it on Medium. Seriously. This game gets hard and will punish you for fucking up, especially later on when headshots are important (dudes start to wear armour).

The game is appropriately challenging. Enemies rarely use grenades, which is good. There are some cheap moments in there for sure, and the Last Stand mechanic is 75%/25% working/busted, but playing on Hard, when you don't know when and where enemies are going to come from (and how to manage ammo/PKs), you will hate your life.

Enjoy it the first time through and then challenge yourself on a second playthrough, if you get there. Honestly though, if you're not having fun with it yet, why turn up the difficulty when it will most likely result in more frustration? YMMV.

Don't be ashamed to keep it on Medium. Seriously. This game gets hard and will punish you for fucking up, especially later on when headshots are important (dudes start to wear armour).

The game is appropriately challenging. Enemies rarely use grenades, which is good. There are some cheap moments in there for sure, and the Last Stand mechanic is 75%/25% working/busted, but playing on Hard, when you don't know when and where enemies are going to come from (and how to manage ammo/PKs), you will hate your life.

Enjoy it the first time through and then challenge yourself on a second playthrough, if you get there. Honestly though, if you're not having fun with it yet, why turn up the difficulty when it will most likely result in more frustration? YMMV.

ya exactly, ill just turn off aim assist and keep it medium. Thx.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good stuff soultron, I'm starting it tomorrow, so should I play it on Normal with Free Aim? Any more tips?
Normal, free aim, and play with sensitivity/acceleration a bit. Defaults feel weird. I also prefer type 4 controls. Oh, if you're on PS3 make L1/R1 aim and shoot.

Normal, free aim, and play with sensitivity/acceleration a bit. Defaults feel weird. I also prefer type 4 controls. Oh, if you're on PS3 make L1/R1 aim and shoot.
Couldn't play without it. Also played at max aim sliders across the board and free aim of course. I might go back and lower the sliders just a bit - while it was easier to get a quick shot out with aimed weapons, I found my dual wielding to be a little too squirrelly.

Jhoan

Personally, I played through the game on Hard initially (beat it yesterday) and didn't find it to be all that bad. There were a few parts that got me pissed off and died in a lot as result, and moments where I ran out of ammo. But otherwise, it wasn't Dark Souls frustrating hard even though a lot of my deaths in this game were my own fault and not the game's fault. Rapid fire guns were my best friend throughout the run.

Otherwise though it's definitely doable on a first run. I used Bullet Time and cover/blind fire a lot as I've mentioned before while using Shootdodge sparingly. Obviously playing with Free Aim with the sensitivity turned up (to about 8 on everything I found) helps tremendously. Also Last Stand helps, but it's best to use the pain killers manually to conserve adrenaline for Bullet Time. Also sprinting and rolling into cover does wonders as does grabbing a weapon while running (Y on the Xbox/Triangle on the PS3 if I'm right) in the heat of a firefight if ammo runs out.

soultron

Banned
Good stuff soultron, I'm starting it tomorrow, so should I play it on Normal with Free Aim? Any more tips?

Read some of the general tips that NullPointed made a bunch of posts back, what he posted is stuff that's really good to know.

I play with 7/7 x/y sensitivity and 7 acceleration, if you're wondering. It's a nice balance. There's also an additional target tracking assist that needs to be shut off in the options menu too, but I can't remember the exact title. It just makes it so that grouped enemies (or an enemy who runs through your line of sight) won't throw your aim off.

Even though people are saying they did it on Hard, I'd avoid it. Trust me, even as someone who just beat Dark Souls. With the game being polarizing for some (especially since most people are going to be going in with a bias that's set either too low or too high because of what a lot of us, who've played the game, have said.) I'd recommend starting on Medium. Play through on Hard on your second playthrough if you enjoyed the story and the game.

I'm playing on Hard now and am enjoying it because I know where and when enemies are coming from and I know exactly how Max handles. I had to play through on Medium first to "learn" all of this though.

If I could tweak anything about this game (outside of cut-scenes) I'd muss with the AI settings. Two things:

* Make enemies slightly less accurate with their gunfire, and scale their skill depending upon weapon, range and training.
* Make enemies take a period of time to look around before getting a "fix" on your position, especially with off-screen reinforcements who join the fight. I've seen way too many enemies turn around corners or come out of buildings with instantaneous dead-aim sights right on your noggin.

Their accuracy and lack of lag before firing puts too much emphasis on taking cover.

I see people drop in every once in a while complaining about multiplayer....am I the only one who hasn't really experienced any jank? I mostly play with pistols and SMG's (single and dual wield), I kill people I expect to kill, my deaths are all my fault, melees make sense, no invincible opponents, shootdodging is always perfect, hit detection is usually spot on, cover works when I need it, most 1 v 1 kills take like 4 seconds max and rarely more than 1 magazine, etc. etc. Feels super solid in gameplay IMO.

soultron

Banned
If I could tweak anything about this game (outside of cut-scenes) I'd muss with the AI settings. Two things:

* Make enemies slightly less accurate with their gunfire, and scale their skill depending upon weapon, range and training.
* Make enemies take a period of time to look around before getting a "fix" on your position, especially with off-screen reinforcements who join the fight. I've seen way too many enemies turn around corners or come out of buildings with instantaneous dead-aim sights right on your noggin.

Their accuracy and lack of lag before firing puts too much emphasis on taking cover.

Commando Sombra dudes should've had the worst accuracy, by your logic, yeah.

I agree with all of what you've said, yeah. Enemies seem just a bit too accurate; if you botch something you're left with very little time/chance to correct your mistakes.

soultron

Banned
Whoa, if this is real, there's going to be a CO-OP NYM mode? WHAT.

GTAforums said:
fQj1x.png

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
I'm sorry but multiplayer wasn't need for this game. Everything seems off and unbalanced. From perks (burst), to weapon usage.

I'm sorry but multiplayer wasn't need for this game. Everything seems off and unbalanced. From perks (burst), to weapon usage.

Agreed. I played 1 match and concluded that it just wasn't for me. Balancing issues aside, it seemed to lack the je ne sais quoi of the SP. Guns felt shitty, movement felt even shitter; it just felt like a very mediocre TPS.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really didn't like the MP at first but it's really grown on me. Play in the rookie playlists to get the hang of it and spend a lot of time customizing your loadouts. Even minor changes can make a big difference.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

All comes down to player skill. I'm up to Chapter 9 so far on my first playthrough (am playing on Hard) and I can only think of one checkpoint that made me change my style of play. Rest of the game has been a bit of a breeze so far.

soultron

Banned
All comes down to player skill. I'm up to Chapter 9 so far on my first playthrough (am playing on Hard) and I can only think of one checkpoint that made me change my style of play. Rest of the game has been a bit of a breeze so far.

I think you're the exception rather than the rule. It's certainly beatable on Hard, but if people are already on the fence about the game, I'd advise against starting on Hard because the frustrating points of the game (found on all difficulties) are only going be magnified by the difficulty.

mickcenary said:
Agreed. I played 1 match and concluded that it just wasn't for me. Balancing issues aside, it seemed to lack the je ne sais quoi of the SP. Guns felt shitty, movement felt even shitter; it just felt like a very mediocre TPS.

I don't think that 1 match is really enough to dismiss something that comes with a deep (deeper than COD, and I'm someone who used to love COD) progression system. The game's MP mode is great, in my opinion, because it does some different stuff rather than copying the COD formula note for note.

And if you need to try out modes like Payne Killer and Gang Wars! Those are locked until you get several rounds under your belt.

smh getting wrecked online lately :(

but mostly with deathmatch and team deathmatch, payne killer is up and down, and always fun but in some huge levels its bad.

Pretty sure that Rockstar warned they wouldn't make any serious effort to balance the multiplayer. And if a game provides a cover system and rifles people will use them.

If I finish most of the game on Medium and then go back by chapter select on Hard mode will it actually save everything I do on Hard so I can get the achievement? Or do I have to start a new game?

There doesn't seem to be any kind of progress indicator to tell you what difficulty you've completed chapters on.

I don't think that 1 match is really enough to dismiss something that comes with a deep (deeper than COD, and I'm someone who used to love COD) progression system. The game's MP mode is great, in my opinion, because it does some different stuff rather than copying the COD formula note for note.

And if you need to try out modes like Payne Killer and Gang Wars! Those are locked until you get several rounds under your belt.

Agreed 100%, but I'm coming more from a fundamental mechanics/controls point of view. Even in SP, the controls never completely clicked with me and they're not really AAA in my books, so to have a lot of the sparkle taken away in MP, I'm left with zero motivation to invest time in it, especially with Ghost Recon a day away.

I tried the MP for the first time today. Was only really able to choose Rookie Deathmatch or Deathmatch.

Fuck the Mini-30, seriously. This one guy killed me with it seven times. It was humiliating.

soultron

Banned
Is the press start music sampled from one of the songs on the OST? I always just sit at the screen and listen to it.

Pretty sure it's layered as you get deeper and deeper into the campaign. You'll notice that Max's outfit and location also changes with SP progress. :p

Top Bottom