• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

iNvid02

The multiplayer is serioudly fucking broken on ps3 right now. Fuck you rockstar get ur shit together. Fuck so frustrating i cant play one goddamn game without getting disconnected.

i've just stopped going into free aim mode now, every game i get put into takes ages to load and lags like hell, and with it being free aim its just one big clusterfuck, people just dont die.

hop into soft lock and all the connection troubles are gone, something is messed up here, they need to fix this because its actually really fun online

Bollocks

I'm at Chapter 7 and so far I don't like it, something about the way the gunplay works feels off. It's just not fun for me, the only reason I keep playing is because of the level design.

Bullet time seems useless, you kill the guys only to discover that there are more, now you're in the open, slow ass Max needs ages to get up, you get hit, pop a painkiller, screen distorts, you need to readjust yourself.
Also oh, there's a guy behind glass, let's activate bullet time and take him out. Nope, bullet time renders glass all shiny so you can't see shit.
Every shootout feels the same, it's just different environments, wouldn't be a problem if the actual shooting was fun, which it isn't

I'm at Chapter 7 and so far I don't like it, something about the way the gunplay works feels off. It's just not fun for me, the only reason I keep playing is because of the level design.

Bullet time seems useless, you kill the guys only to discover that there are more, now you're in the open, slow ass Max needs ages to get up, you get hit, pop a painkiller, screen distorts, you need to readjust yourself.
Also oh, there's a guy behind glass, let's activate bullet time and take him out. Nope, bullet time renders glass all shiny so you can't see shit.
Every shootout feels the same, it's just different environments, wouldn't be a problem if the actual shooting was fun, which it isn't

Have you tweaked the sensitivities?

Arcteryx

question: when you press triangle/y in mp (non-melee) your player shouts something, my chick avatar usually says something like "your a fucking piece of shit"

can other players/enemies hear this? sometimes i just have a habit of pressing it when im in cover, wanna know if its leading people towards me after hearing it

Yes, you show up on the map when you taunt.

smuf

I think I'm near the end of the game. So far I've loved most of the experience, it's been quite challenging even on normal.

The one thing I don't like is the constant use of cutscenes when most of them could just be done in game, it really breaks the flow.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Voices sound just cut out halfway through another like 10 minute cutscene, I'm done for tonight.

Will have to look back through this thread but the sheer amount of colours being flashed into my eyes, with blurred after images, and recorded camera filter effects is just astounding, like Rockstar thought their audience has so much attention deficit disorder they need to be fucking machine gunned by disco lights just to stay awake.

Checkpoint system is pure ass as well. I did not expect to be hating this after watching the tech videos and loving the look of the action. Theres still a core enjoyable game here but I'm not entirely sure its worth developing epilepsy over.

Blutonium

Start up New York Minute > watch 2 minute cutscene > finish an incredible shootout > watch another 30 second cut scene > die in a shoot out > enjoy a minute long loading screen > restart at the beginning of the level.

I said god DAYUM. I don't think I've hated and loved a game so much at the same time.

Colocho

Banned
Ok, so I've never played a Max Payne game before, so I'm gonna get started on the first one and continue from there. Hopefully this series is as awesome as I hear.

soultron

Banned
I think I'm near the end of the game. So far I've loved most of the experience, it's been quite challenging even on normal.

The one thing I don't like is the constant use of cutscenes when most of them could just be done in game, it really breaks the flow.

I'm agreeing with the overuse of cutscenes, but I wish every ladder climb would be done via cutscene now. Have the character talk while going up. Or better yet, show them getting on the ladder and cut to them getting off.

When Max climbs the ladders in the stadium and its done via cutscene, I was just all like, "Best use of a cutscene in this game."

Montresor

Lima (and other godlike Max Payners):

So what's the verdict between Hardcore and Old School? Which difficulty is the best to tackle first? I'm almost finished mopping up clues and golden guns on easy, then I'm gonna try my best at the other harder difficulties.

Voices sound just cut out halfway through another like 10 minute cutscene, I'm done for tonight.

Will have to look back through this thread but the sheer amount of colours being flashed into my eyes, with blurred after images, and recorded camera filter effects is just astounding, like Rockstar thought their audience has so much attention deficit disorder they need to be fucking machine gunned by disco lights just to stay awake.

Checkpoint system is pure ass as well. I did not expect to be hating this after watching the tech videos and loving the look of the action. Theres still a core enjoyable game here but I'm not entirely sure its worth developing epilepsy over.

What's wrong with the checkpoint system? You die, you restart from the beginning of the shootout for the most part, and it's only a brief pause.

Lima

Lima (and other godlike Max Payners):

So what's the verdict between Hardcore and Old School? Which difficulty is the best to tackle first? I'm almost finished mopping up clues and golden guns on easy, then I'm gonna try my best at the other harder difficulties.

Just finished my hardcore run. There are some spots where things get rough but it was much easier than I thought. It is definitely the last thing you want to do in the single player.

Having all that knowledge from your previous playthroughs makes it really easy at times.

I would go for old school first. Old school is pretty easy except if you learned to rely on last stand (which you shouldn't, it is that terrible) you might have some trouble watching your health and popping painkillers when needed. I took one whenever my damage was above 50%.

soultron

Banned
What's wrong with the checkpoint system? You die, you restart from the beginning of the shootout for the most part, and it's only a brief pause.

Some of the gunfights go on for a long time without many checkpoints in between. Chapter 12 comes to mind. A lot of games have conditioned people to expect a checkpoint for every 2-3 guys they kill.

Montresor

I would go for old school first. Old school is pretty easy except if you learned to rely on last stand (which you shouldn't, it is that terrible) you might have some trouble watching your health and popping painkillers when needed. I took one whenever my damage was above 50%.

Much appreciated man!

So it looks like I'll be doing Old School, then New York Minute, and then probably just playing a shitload of multiplayer, working towards level 50. I'm honestly scared of both NYM Hardcore and regular Hardcore, hahah.

soultron

Banned
Pretty much. I'm glad that health regen bs isn't present in the single player.

There's a little bit when your health reaches <10%. If you wait, you'll see that the meter will sink back down to Max's shoulders in the little graphic. But it's such a small amount that will only allow you to take maybe 2 more shots before dying. (And this depends on the difficulty level, obviously.)

Lima

There's a little bit when your health reaches <10%. If you wait, you'll see that the meter will sink back down to Max's shoulders in the little graphic. But it's such a small amount that will only allow you to take maybe 2 more shots before dying. (And this depends on the difficulty level, obviously.)

Yeah on hardcore you die in one shot if your health is anywhere in the last 25%.

theJwac

I'll have to disagree with you on this one.

I find Max Payne 3's contemporary noir presentation to be pretty slick, myself. I'm a big fan of Michael Mann films, which this heavily borrows from, and the game oozes inspiration from his work as well as Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive. I like the updates and find it to be a little less hammy then the older games, and the transitions from cutscenes into gameplay are so seemless that I frankly wouldn't want it any other way.

If the game felt exactly like Max Payne's 1 and 2 then I'd actually have more of an issue with the games being too similar, but I'll admit that I felt the most at home during the flashback scenes. The diversity is much appreciated though and I applaud them for doing something so different and so well.
I wholeheartedly agree. This game has managed to fuse the noir presentation with slightly disorienting, yet awesome effects that give the game its own voice. I am consistently impressed by it. I've recommended the game to 2 friends and the one that has bought it thanked me for the recommendation. I hope more people get a chance to try it out and see for themselves.

I beat mp2 or the first time this past weekend. I truly think some of you have hard time taking off the nostalgia lenses. Max payne was never about presentation at its core. It was about fun gameplay and a thriller story. MP3 has all that and more in spades. If anything, i enjoy the character more now than i ever have.

Its not about nostalgia, its about staying true to what it is. Changing something like that is like not seeing that yellow text scroll up before a star wars movie or changing the music altogether. Sure they can do it, but it gives off a completely different vibe that isn't what you come to expect from the franchise unless you come right out and call it a reboot.

Personally, i loved that comic book presentation. They did it before Sin City and everyone else. Its so different than whats being done now in games that it would have still "stood out" today, for the right reasons. Now it stands out to me only because of how annoying it is and whats sad is that part of what made the first Max Payne games original and what it is, is completely gone.

Grisby

People keep mentioning Micheal Mann and while I can see it in some places MP3 screams a more "Man on Fire" to me, right down to the single highlighted words and crazy ass Tony Scott post effects.

Annnnnnd I had my first multiplayer freeze. Shit.

Ridley327

People keep mentioning Micheal Mann and while I can see it in some places MP3 screams a more "Man on Fire" to me, right down to the single highlighted words and crazy ass Tony Scott post effects.

Annnnnnd I had my first multiplayer freeze. Shit.

The ad screams Mann, but the game really is Tony Scott more than anything else.

You clear a room, there should be a checkpoint.

You watch a cutscene, there should be a check point.

I re-cleared many rooms and re-watched many cutscenes. Unacceptable.

rvy

Banned
Question to Porteguese speakers: do any of the exchanges reveal any information about whats actually going on before we english speakers get wind of the twists and turns later?

Nope. They're mainly cursing at Max or asking him what the fuck he's doing there. All the major stuff is in English with bits of Portuguese at the end or beginning.
It's pretty good cursing though.

Such an awesome game... I'm at
the boat scene
now and i think the game is a blast. Even the part everybody hates..

Insane amount of detail.

pakkit

Banned
I was actually get to a black loading screen yesterday while playing Max Payne 3. It was refreshing, hopefully Rockstar can patch in a cut scene skip so that we can enjoy deep, dark silence between gameplay.

Marleyman

Banned
BUSTED! GR:FS had a good beta and Rockstar have a pretty average record when it comes to games that "feel" good, so you can't really have a go at me for being a bit apprehensive regarding their first foray into a genre that demands stellar control and tight mechanics. The reactions are completely unrelated, though; it's not like my hype for the beta was a pesky parasite sitting in Max's intestine.

I didn't think the beta was that good, but that is neither here nor there. I also disagree with Rockstar having an average record with games that "feel good." Your hype for Recon in general while downplaying Max Payne before it came out is fishy to me; always will be.

I'm finding the controls and difficulty in this game extremely frustrating.

Here's a list of complaints I need to get off my chest - some subjective (of course).

1.) RUNNN! FASTER!!!
2.) Jesus christ why did you get out of cover?!?
3.) GET INTO COVER!
4.) I HAVE TO START ALL THE WAY BACK THERE?!?
5.) How many shots does it take to kill a guy in a wife beater?
6.) Which bloody way am I supposed to go?
7.) Playing this checkpoint .. again.. the tenth time.
8.) Sniper rifle zoom in using a different analog stick for aiming? WHYYYY
9.) Why'd you change my gun for the next checkp--DEAD
10.) Wait, which gun am I trying to pick up?
11.) I can't pick up ammo for a gun that isn't equipped in hand?
12.) So many guys and there doesn't appear to any cover. Oh there's a spo--DEAD
13.) Re-spawn.. RUNNNN!!!

I'm seriously considering just playing this on easy, lol

CTE

You clear a room, there should be a checkpoint.

You watch a cutscene, there should be a check point.

I re-cleared many rooms and re-watched many cutscenes. Unacceptable.

I agree with the cutscene checkpoints. I really don't agree on the clear the room checkpoints.

Jtrizzy

I don't get the "still loading" joke. Isn't it kind of odd to push the release date back by just 3 days? Also if the dl is so huge, why no info on a preload?

jet1911

Go in the options and turn off the "bullet time effect".

Gaogaogao

I don't get the "still loading" joke. Isn't it kind of odd to push the release date back by just 3 days? Also if the dl is so huge, why no info on a preload?

cut scenes hide load times, when you try to skip it says still loading.

good thing I have an ssd.

Top Bottom