• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am debating going back through on hard, but there were 5 or 6 spots on normal that I had to re-do about 7-8 times and 2 of them which were very frustrating.

Any tips for a hard playthough?

Gustav

Banned
I am debating going back through on hard, but there were 5 or 6 spots on normal that I had to re-do about 7-8 times and 2 of them which were very frustrating.

I just dropped the difficulty to easy on my first playthrough after dying more than 10 times on the same section with the goddamned WORST FUCKING checkpoint in the world. This game is so infuriating.

MMaRsu

Well I died much less so far on my hard playthrough just cause I got so much better and know where the enemies are. Still a few tough spots like the last bit at the favelas so far though.

I just dropped the difficulty to easy on my first playthrough after dying more than 10 times on the same section with the goddamned WORST FUCKING checkpoint in the world. This game is so infuriating.

Nah, the checkpoints never felt infuriating to me. The game really challenges you but come on if you die a few times you'll get more painkillers and bullettime and you'll know where the enemies are coming from.

Nemesis_

Which section, out of interest?

For some reason the worst for me so far has been the part just before taking out the first sniper during the Stadium.

soultron

Banned

Certain spots will still be tough. Spots that force you in cover (because of enemies having elevated positions on you, like spots in the
favela
and
Panama Canal
) will still be really annoying.

I found that staying mobile whenever possible and using shootdodges (because that's a great way to use BT even when your meter is empty) were pretty important. I thought the game was a lot more fun because I knew where the guys were going to be coming from; I focused on making things as stylish as possible. :p

Also, remember that using a PK manually will heal more than the automatic usage resulting from a Last Stand. IIRC, LS also drains your BT meter?

Gustav

Banned
Which section, out of interest?

For some reason the worst for me so far has been the part just before taking out the first sniper during the Stadium.

Mine is much later in the game, so SPOILERS!

After blowing up the building in the favelas. When everything starts shaking and crumbling. Even the goddamned reticle starts shaking.

Ridley327

Mine is much later in the game, so SPOILERS!

After blowing up the building in the favelas. When everything starts shaking and crumbling. Even the goddamned reticle starts shaking.

The trick to that part I've found is to anticipate the moment just before the tremors start up and go into Shoot-Dodge; the enemies will be affected by them, but you won't be. It is possible to screw up the timing and have Shoot-Dodge magically affected by them, so you need to play around with it a bit to find the right timing.

Gustav

Banned
The trick to that part I've found is to anticipate the moment just before the tremors start up and go into Shoot-Dodge; the enemies will be affected by them, but you won't be. It is possible to screw up the timing and have Shoot-Dodge magically affected by them, so you need to play around with it a bit to find the right timing.

I already am past that part, but still.. thanks!
The
minigun
guy at the end was too much for me, though. And every time he killed me, I had to redo the whole fucking thing, with at least 3 seconds of no control, because of Max' animation where he runs into cover.

Sethos

Banned
umm ? Stay in Neogang. Stats of pc users will be added to neogang itself.

Oh if neogang limit is reached then a new group for all platform shud be made

We've reached the 300 cap, people who want in, can't. Might as well just separate the platforms which will also help people get together in games.

I agree with whoever mentioned it a page would, would rather see platform specific crews actually, to increase the social possibility.

I'm starting to get the hang of multiplayer, running with a pistol only class and I was doing pretty well. When this game go well it's a blast but when people start camping in spots thats when its boring.

Bollocks

Man, I'm not even half way through and I already wish it would end soon.
That game is not fun, you pick up 4 weapons only to discover that at the next scene they are gone and replaced with a handgun and uzi and half the bullets.
Also of course lob a grenade to me while I'm staying behind cover the best as I can cause they all flank me. If I'm not in the blast radius because Max is slow as hell I will get shot at needing a painkiller

The story also sucks, I'm at chapter 9 and do I care about it? No.
Payne is unlikeable and everyone is dead except Fabiana's sister, why even continue ._.

The game just drags and drags and drags.

MMaRsu

That game is not fun, you pick up 4 weapons only to discover that at the next scene they are gone and replaced with a handgun and uzi and half the bullets.
Also of course lob a grenade to me while I'm staying behind cover the best as I can cause they all flank me. If I'm not in the blast radius because Max is slow as hell I will get shot at needing a painkiller

Payne is unlikeable and everyone is dead except Fabiana's sister, why even continue ._.

They all flank you cause you stayin in cover too long.
They shouldnt even have the time to lob grenades at you ;)

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think the game drags at all, I am a little concerned about how replayable it is though. It's so story heavy, I think those sequences won't hold up so well when giving it multiple runs.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
We've reached the 300 cap, people who want in, can't. Might as well just separate the platforms which will also help people get together in games.

I agree with whoever mentioned it a page would, would rather see platform specific crews actually, to increase the social possibility.

The problem in its current state is that you can't tell who is inactive and never will be and who put a placeholder for when they get the game, which imo isn't fair for those that are actually active now and would like to crew up with mates on their friends list for Gang Battles.

Since the current crews can carry over to GTAV once that is out then perhaps now is the time to split the screw into 3 platforms, PC, PS3 and 360 because lets face it, there will be a lot of people buying GTAV when that comes out. On the plus side it will be easier to find people in the crew that are on the same platform to add to friends lists.

The amount of people playing softlock multiplayer compared to free aim multiplayer is honestly fucking sad as shit.

Maybe create two groups instead. Softlock and Free Aim? That'll sort out the men from the boys. =D

soultron

Banned

Why play the game if you don't like it? If you don't like it at this point, you probably won't like the rest of it either, to be honest.

Sethos

Banned
The problem in its current state is that you can't tell who is inactive and never will be and who put a placeholder for when they get the game, which imo isn't fair for those that are actually active now and would like to crew up with mates on their friends list for Gang Battles.

Since the current crews can carry over to GTAV once that is out then perhaps now is the time to split the screw into 3 platforms, PC, PS3 and 360 because lets face it, there will be a lot of people buying GTAV when that comes out. On the plus side it will be easier to find people in the crew that are on the same platform to add to friends lists.

Your saying what I just said a page back and your argument doesn't make sense in this case, what isn't fair? There's no kicking or name dropping, this is about creating new Gaf groups for the people interested in joining platform specific groups - Nothing else.

Payne unlikeable? Really? Huh...interesting. I am in love with his character.

iNvid02

we already have 2 crews, neogang and neopayne, use them as the ps3 and 360 crews
create a new crew for pc

keep em official and we're all set until gta v too

We could all try contacting Rockstar and see if they would put Gaf in the same crew categories as IGN and Gamestop and shit. They have thousands of members.

edit:I sent out an email to rockstar.

Gen X

I don't think it'd ever happen. IGN and Gamestop most likely got those spots as part of the game's marketing.

Or in return for some favorable review scores. ;)

Your saying what I just said a page back and your argument doesn't make sense in this case, what isn't fair?

Your original idea on the previous page was to create a second group, but if the groups were separated into platforms instead it then it would be easier to add people from the said list your your friends list as well as organise games. I can't view the current members so I can't see the ratio people on various platforms.

And as for 'What isn't fair?', well since you asked, we don't know which of those 'placeholders' will actually buy the game within the launch window. Like I said, there are active players now, here in this thread wanting in on the group. There have been quite a few numerous requests dating back a week ago, but instead you got people who are reserving spots for themselves two weeks in advance. What's to stop someone jumping in now and saying 'Well I plan on buying GTAV?'. This group should follow the same rules as the Trials Evolution group. People who aren't active get dropped in favour for those that want in. If those players aren't active a week later from being added, they in turn get dropped. Keeps the community alive.

This ain't a dig post, just an opinion. =)

Posted a few times now, I can create and supervise it, accept all the invite requests etc. just wanted to settle on a name / motto, something that sounds good.

"McGAFery's Gang"
james_mccaffrey.jpg

Bollocks

They all flank you cause you stayin in cover too long.
They shouldnt even have the time to lob grenades at you ;)
I'm not even in cover for 3 sec, it's right after a cutscene, they show up in front, right and rooftop it's ridiculous for medium difficulty.

Why play the game if you don't like it? If you don't like it at this point, you probably won't like the rest of it either, to be honest.
Because it's Rockstar and I like the set pieces

iNvid02

ok I raised a ticket with rockstar support asking if there is a chance we could increase our member limit

it's a longshot but they usually reply pretty quickly, let's see what the support people are made of

Hixx

Disagree. I wasn't really enjoying it until just a bit into disc 2. Now it's fucking great and I don't want it to end :(

soultron

Banned
Disagree. I wasn't really enjoying it until just a bit into disc 2. Now it's fucking great and I don't want it to end :(

He's 2/3s the way through the game. If I'm not enjoying a game by that time, I usually just quit. There are too many games and not enough hours in a day to play something you don't enjoy, in my opinion. Set pieces or not.

Gen X

Out of interest, where does disc one end/disc two start? (Spoiler tag it please for people not at the end of the disc :) )

devo1989

Anyone able to list the arcade mode character selection for me? Waiting for the pc version and couldn't find anything on the net without digging into spoilers.

JB1981

Just picked this up on PS3. Intrigued so far but not enthralled with it like I was with RDR. Still trying to figure out the best way to play, mix up shooting with bullet-time.

The first few chapters are tutorial-esque so I'm sure it gets better. Can you melee, if so how? And how the hell do you crouch? The controls menu says to use X and I do but it seems to only work when I press X and up on left stick together? Seems very inconsistent. Starting to bother me.

iNvid02

support said he'd forward it up to the team in charge of the social club

but I had to give him a little push, he first said all crews are limited to 300 members

who knows, neogang could have a higher member limit but I wouldn't get yo ur hopes up

they replied pretty fast though, steam customer support needs to pay attention to rockstar

Posted a few times now, I can create and supervise it, accept all the invite requests etc. just wanted to settle on a name / motto, something that sounds good.

I'd recommend duplicating the existing gang motto and logos and such, but include PC in the title. That way its not too different and just indicates the platform

Gen X

Just picked this up on PS3. Intrigued so far but not enthralled with it like I was with RDR. Still trying to figure out the best way to play, mix up shooting with bullet-time.

The first few chapters are tutorial-esque so I'm sure it gets better. Can you melee, if so how? And how the hell do you crouch?

Melee = It's automaticly done when in range pressing which ever you have the shoot assigned to.

Crouch = Click left thumbstick by default.

MMaRsu

Jb check out all the control options for sure. I had to mess with it a bunch to get it to what i feel is good.

Btw lets wait a bit before creating a new crew.

Top Bottom