• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

MattDoza

We're featured on the community stats page.

MS3Ux.jpg

Now let us expand, Rockstar! That MP3 crew is 28k strong.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ha, I love when my last kill in an area is from a random explosion. Happened twice to me on Chapter 10.

JB1981

If the playlist count on Ps3 is accurate there isn't even like 1k people playing this game online .....

Also the Favela in SP is unbelievable in its attention to detail ! Feels like a real place. Those kids playing soccer looked real!

Biggest disappointment so far is the gun sounds. I was hoping the sound would be higher quality.

soultron

Banned
If the playlist count on Ps3 is accurate there isn't even like 1k people playing this game online .....

Also the Favela in SP is unbelievable in its attention to detail ! Feels like a real place. Those kids playing soccer looked real!

Biggest disappointment so far is the gun sounds. I was hoping the sound would be higher quality.

I think a lot of people are still working through the SP. Some people will never touch the MP either.

So I've got a question that I've been wanting to ask for a while: does anybody have any idea who Max is talking to during the opening of the game? You know, talking about how he likes the appartment, wants to move on with his life blabla while not meaning a single word of it?

Fry

So many damn good one liners in this game. Max is an amazing character.

Just put in Disc 2. How many chapters does it have, and how many of them happen in Brazil?
Max
looks more stylish with hair, but now he looks like Walter White, fuck yeah!

Fjordson

So many damn good one liners in this game. Max is an amazing character.

Just put in Disc 2. How many chapters does it have, and how many of them happen in Brazil?
14 chapters total. Can't really remember the exact number in Brazil. Most certainly the majority, though.

So I've got a question that I've been wanting to ask for a while: does anybody have any idea who Max is talking to during the opening of the game? You know, talking about how he likes the appartment, wants to move on with his life blabla while not meaning a single word of it?
I was wondering that at first, but I think he's just sort of babbling to himself. I loved that bit "Yes...absolutely!" so sarcastic :lol

Fry

14 chapters total. Can't really remember the exact number in Brazil. Most certainly the majority, though.

14 chapters, 11 of which are in Brazil.

Thanks guys, I hear the second disc is better than the first one, which I thought it was awesome, so I'm definitely excited.

I think disc 1 had only one chapter outside of Brazil. I'm curious to see the others chapters and where they happen.

Fjordson

Thanks guys, I hear the second disc is better than the first one, which I thought it was awesome, so I'm definitely excited.

I think disc 1 had only one chapter outside of Brazil. I'm curious to see the others chapters and where they happen.
I thought the second disc was absolutely better than the first. Game really has a fantastic second half.

pixelpushr

Neo Member
I don't play a ton of multiplayer games but I really like what I've played of MP3 multiplayer. I plan to keep going back for more even though I'm horrible at it. Even thinking about buying the season pass. Can't wait to see what they come up with for GTA V. Hopefully there will be something similar to Gang Wars.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, the final chapter is just amazing. The use of music during that scene is goose-bump inducing. Just amazing stuff. That is how you do a final chapter.

Gravijah

Wow, the final chapter is just amazing. The use of music during that scene is goose-bump inducing. Just amazing stuff. That is how you do a final chapter.

i was quite excited to finally hear
the song used in the commercial. really got me pumped up.

test_account

XP-39C²
Are there any words on fixing the grinding bug? Last night i was missing 25 kills to get 1000 kill in total. Now i've played two rounds, checked the grinding again, and now i'm missing 35 kills lol.

JB1981

Seems pretty hard to get trophies/achievements in this game, they are very specific which is a good thing.

I still think I need to improve how I'm playing and start thinking a little differently about how I approach a given scenario. I am dying a lot, even on medium. The game does give you more painkillers when you restart though which is a godsend. How often do you guys use bullet dodge? How often do you not use bullet time at all? And do you use bullet time sometimes just to better line up shots ala RDR?

Sidzed2

Seems pretty hard to get trophies/achievements in this game, they are very specific which is a good thing.

I still think I need to improve how I'm playing and start thinking a little differently about how I approach a given scenario. I am dying a lot, even on medium. The game does give you more painkillers when you restart though which is a godsend. How often do you guys use bullet dodge? How often do you not use bullet time at all? And do you use bullet time sometimes just to better line up shots ala RDR?

If more than 2-3 enemies, picking off enemies from cover (using bullet time to line up headshots) is the conservative, if unadventurous, path to success. Shootdodging is super important because you can use it even without bullet time stored up, but you need to know where you are landing and how many enemies are left, because any more than 3 enemies will be hard to take out in one leap. Also I like to leap backwards, rather than into the fray, more often. Also, remember to manually use PKs when your health is slightly more than halfway depleted, because they are much more effective than when used during the risky last man standing sequence.

JB1981

Yea using bullet dodge and landing headfirst on a table or something doesn't work out too well. Also crouching is driving me crazy. Is it pressure sensitive or something ? I was experimenting with the controls and it rarely seems to work. Going prone same thing. I finally leaned how to melee and roll though. Melee combined with the final bullet right to someone's temple is brutal !

Dyno

Got into the MP last night as well. I really liked some of the ideas they're putting down. The multi-level boosts are great! You see some really neat and weird effects going on. I'm also in love with the encumbrance system. It makes so much sense and is well implimented. Looting is also great for when you've gone for a bit of a killing spree.

Imma be here for a while I think.

PS3 : Dynovac

MMaRsu

Yea using bullet dodge and landing headfirst on a table or something doesn't work out too well. Also crouching is driving me crazy. Is it pressure sensitive or something ? I was experimenting with the controls and it rarely seems to work. Going prone same thing. I finally leaned how to melee and roll though. Melee combined with the final bullet right to someone's temple is brutal !

Going into crouch when you dont want to is fucking annoying.

Also im playing on hard just cleared the favelas and im using shootdodge a lot.

Massa

Played the first 5 chapters and it's been quite a disappointment so far.

I'll post my thoughts when I have finished the game, but two things that really stand out at the moment:

+ game looks amazing. Best looking game on the PS3 imo.
- Brazilian voice acting is god awful. Atrocious.

KAOz

Short bus special
Its been so long since I played MGS4, which cut scene is that again?

The one with the infamous "Bang, bang, bang!" shouting and Ocelot dance. It was the only one that was pre-rendered aswell due to how long it was.

Or maybe it was classed as 90 minutes since it was a new cutscene directly afterwards, and just that one itself was 45... I COULD be wrong.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Errrrrhm, no.

It's twice the amount of ONE of the cutscenes in MGS4. I'm not kidding. One of them is 90 minutes long. And that's just one of them.
I don't think it was actually a full 90 minutes, but it was still damn long (probably referring to the transition between Chapter 3 and 4). If you combine that cutscene with the briefing and the intro to chapter 4 it may have been 90 minutes.

MGS4 DOES have 9 hours of cutscenes, though.

-Amon-

MGS4 DOES have 9 hours of cutscenes, though.

Where they skippable ? I'm replaying the single player of Max Payne 3 and it's frankly becoming umbearable.

The difference in quality between the beatiful gameplay and the cutscenes is striking.

Drewsky

Where they skippable ? I'm replaying the single player of Max Payne 3 and it's frankly becoming umbearable.

The difference in quality between the beatiful gameplay and the cutscenes is striking.

I don't really have a problem with the way cutscenes look, but it is really annoying to have to watch them every time on replay.

-Amon-

I don't really have a problem with the way cutscenes look, but it is really annoying to have to watch them every time on replay.

They look decent at least, it's the story and the way they decided to show you in the cutscenes that is terrible.

StuBurns

Banned
Its been so long since I played MGS4, which cut scene is that again?
There isn't a ninety minute cutscene. From the last moment of interactivity, to the very end of the credits is ninety minutes.

I just finished MP3, and I think it's pretty amazing. The final chapter was beautiful.

scitek

New info on the PC version:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/256186/max_payne_3_pc_developer_interview.html#tk.hp_new

What are you doing to take advantage of the powerful hardware available in a PC?

As you can see from the specs list above, we’ve worked hard to make sure the game will run smoothly on a wide range of PC builds. But it’s when you get towards the top end of that range that you can really push a game to its limits, and the game will look and run incredibly on the most advanced current machines around at the moment and well into the near future.

You’ll find that screen resolution is scalable, there’s triple and even sextuple monitor support which helps to run higher screen resolutions, there’s various anti-aliasing options, scalable water quality, scalable shadow quality, increased detail for characters and vehicles and a scalable texture filter that further increases visual quality. We’re also supporting DX11 with Max Payne 3, with features including Hull/Tessellation/Domain Shaders (which adds curvature to the character/vehicle models), Gather4 (for optimized shadow sampling / FXAA), Geometry shader / Stream Output and DX11 texture samplers to name a few.

As you can tell, there’s a lot for PC fans with higher-spec hardware to sink their teeth in to.

A good portion of the extra space requirements on PC can be attributed to the increased size of the textures, which are four times the size of those on consoles. In addition, the audio quality is significantly higher than the consoles due to lower compression rates, which improves audio fidelity

Gav47

The one with the infamous "Bang, bang, bang!" shouting and Ocelot dance. It was the only one that was pre-rendered aswell due to how long it was.

Or maybe it was classed as 90 minutes since it was a new cutscene directly afterwards, and just that one itself was 45... I COULD be wrong.

Oh yeah, that one is crazy there's like a two minute sequence were the only thing happening is guys cocking their guns

Top Bottom