• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

colt45joe

Banned
took me the whole game to figure out how to play . i died so much on normal difficulty. starting a new game though, i was running around everywhere bullet time getting head shots. game became much more fun.

Up to chapter 5. The graphics and script are top notch but the gameplay is so disappointing. If you don't play it as a cover shooter you die over and over. Even on normal difficulty. And I don't like Max's weightiness. It worked fine in Red Dead because the environments were so open but here I get stuck trying to maneuver through doorways and around tables.

If you make it to the 2nd playthrough, you'd be surprised at how wrong that assumption is.

The first playthrough I played it as a cover shooter, but if you know how to time and position your shoot dodge right, it'll be much more enjoyable and even more efficient. As is though, a healthy amount of bullet time and cover will get the job done especially if you can get quick headshots.

Up to chapter 5. The graphics and script are top notch but the gameplay is so disappointing. If you don't play it as a cover shooter you die over and over. Even on normal difficulty. And I don't like Max's weightiness. It worked fine in Red Dead because the environments were so open but here I get stuck trying to maneuver through doorways and around tables.

Get better at shooting and you won't have to stay in cover all the time.

boulettime2ikd8e.gif

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
finished it a few minutes ago. It had more than outlived its welcome by the end.

Certainly impressive graphics, but far far far too many flaws. I've ranted about the tiresome fucking shock and awe filters on cutscenes drilled into your eyes through the games needlessly lengthy cutscenes in fair length, so I'll tackle gameplay.

Euphoria adds a lot to the dynamism of enemies, but its at this horribly awkward transitional point in games like rag doll physics started out as. It directly interrupts gameplay mechanisms making for more frustrating play such as enemies that look to have been shot and killed getting up again behind you and killing you, Max's 'last chance' shot being effected by his body randomly flopping the wrong side of a wall, and pretty much the entire building collapse segment (awful).

Enemy spawning seemed to be way too much from the old school design of WARPING IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE than anything organic, and guns never really followed a ramping up evolution path that impressed. Worse, the laser sight weapons were actually ironically harder to headshot with. Armoured dudes are game poison.

The last few chapters certainly have plenty of action, but the story just dies after saying those goodbyes. Might have to replay MP2 at some point and see exactly how nostalgia'd up my rose tinted glasses are, but I just feel this game lacked any real impact to its story and just fizzled out, and the gunplay never felt as fun.

Gav47

Is there going to be a boxed copy of the PC version available for purchase? And is it redeemable on Steam? That 35 GB is going to be way too big of a hit on my data cap for the month :(

The physical copy will not be redeemable on Steam.

Glad to hear there will be a preload, I wonder if the Steam version will have achievements and cloud saves like LA Noire.

Zeliard

My only real beef with the game is the incredibly uneven difficult on Hard. At times they make it short of impossible to get through certain sections if you don't have any painkillers on you, or enough ammo, and the checkpoint system means you have to continually restart it from the beginning. After dying a few times, they replenish you and then it becomes more manageable, which leaves one to wonder why they didn't just stick more painkillers/ammo around levels. This will however probably be less of an issue on PC playing with a mouse, at least for me.

And the way the enemies randomly spawn in also leaves something to be desired. Given that you can only take like 2 shots on the harder difficulties before you go down, they should have done something more effective there. Ends up giving the game an unfortunate trial-and-error element.

Beyond that, though, I think it's swell. I'm enjoying the story beats and Max as a character is pretty great, and far more interesting than in the past games where he was typical sardonic noir guy. The gunplay is killer and approaches proper Woo-style action a lot more effectively than the previous games.

Hixx

MP is much more fun 4v4. 29/7, fucking grenade launcher tearing shit up haha.

Gonna go back to my run through on hard + collectible now. I don't think I've ever had a game grow on me so much. Initial impressions of SP - I thought it was incredibly overrated, now I love it. MP looks to be heading the same way.

MP is much more fun 4v4. 29/7, fucking grenade launcher tearing shit up haha.

Gonna go back to my run through on hard + collectible now. I don't think I've ever had a game grow on me so much. Initial impressions of SP - I thought it was incredibly overrated, now I love it. MP looks to be heading the same way.

The multiplayer is growing on me a little more as well. Started using the mini .30. That fucking gun is so cheap. But I ended up using it just so I could compete.

mudkyp

Started playing this again after my Diablo 3 binge. I really like Max Payne 3. I agree that it's not very Max Payne, but I don't really mind. The music is incredible, the story so far is really engaging, and the combat is top notch. The big revelation to me is that bullet time while using just one pistol for headshots is incredibly effective. Really made me tighten up the way I play. I die far less now.

I really like the moment when Max shaves his head. Found it really moving.

Score Attack is so much fun. I love being able to choose what clothes for Max to wear. Running through the last level as
Suit and Tie Max
is fucking awesome just cause he looks so badass. Played through as New York Max, I have Classic Max and Old School Max and all the variations in between, it's wicked.

Linch

Neo Member
Finished this the other day on 360 against my wishes of PC like the previous games, but I couldn't wait as I was so excited for it up to release and I was so pleased it delivered. I found it to be incredibly dark and twisted, so much more than the other Max Payne games (even though they had their moments!). Probably appropriate with how Max has changed etc, the story certainly represents that.

The game is just filled with incredible moments that had me smiling all the way through. I played on Medium with Free Aim and it was a great experience, just a nice difficulty. I imagine the cutscenes being mostly unable to be skipped due to loading etc on further playthroughs a bit annoying, but I really enjoyed the editing and cinematic techniques they did to keep you in the game at all times.

I've played a few multiplayer matches, and joined the NeoGANG crew. It's certainly a fun and different type of multiplayer, I enjoyed what I played. My favourite would be standard deathmatch of what I've played, I've not played a deathmatch this fun since Quake or Half-Life.

Graphics, sound, overall presentation and most acting and story were all top notch.

Well done Rockstar!

soultron

Banned
Get better at shooting and you won't have to stay in cover all the time.

boulettime2ikd8e.gif

You know you're good at the game when you're lining up headshots by aligning the cursor properly so that people's heads simply intersect with the downward trajectory of said cursor.

I fucking love this game sometimes.

Score Attack is so much fun. I love being able to choose what clothes for Max to wear. Running through the last level as
Suit and Tie Max
is fucking awesome just cause he looks so badass. Played through as New York Max, I have Classic Max and Old School Max and all the variations in between, it's wicked.

I like
jumping out the window and hanging from the helicopter in chapter 2 as "laundry day Max"
Fucking hilarious.

pakkit

Banned
The multiplayer is growing on me a little more as well. Started using the mini .30. That fucking gun is so cheap. But I ended up using it just so I could compete.

Yup, wasn't digging the multiplayer so much...Switched to the Mini 30 and now it's pretty great. Went +13 in my last match.

I also like the melee because it allows for hilarity, as does the Euphoria-enabled Bullet Dodges in multiplayer where if you get hit you start twisting in the air making it harder to aim.

:lol @ people thinking this has more cutscenes than MGS4 a few pages back. That game was a solid 25 hours on 1st playthrough, c'mon son. Even if Max Payne 3 was ALL cutscenes, it almost still wouldn't be true.

Chapter 7 is taking the cake in unskippable cutscenes so far.

3rd playthrough right now...gameplay is so fun but I no longer have an interest in the cutscenes at this time

soultron

Banned
:lol @ people thinking this has more cutscenes than MGS4 a few pages back. That game was a solid 25 hours on 1st playthrough, c'mon son. Even if Max Payne 3 was ALL cutscenes, it almost still wouldn't be true.

It's similarly indulgent with its cutscenes, sure, but nowhere near as bad as MGS4. With MGS4, there were numerous occasions where I put down the controller, grabbed my drink, and just kind of sat there sipping for minutes at a time.

And yeah, Ch7 is the worst for it, MrPink.

JohngPR

Just changed my pre-order from retail disc via Amazon to Steam version.

Free copy of LA Noire is nice and preloading and Steam achievements put me over the edge.

Montresor

I like
jumping out the window and hanging from the helicopter in chapter 2 as "laundry day Max"
Fucking hilarious.

Suit and Tie Max

Can you do this in New York Minute as well?

I'm up to chapter 12 now on my Old School run. I fucking love this game. This is basically my fourth playthrough and I'm still having no problems going through the story mode. I can't wait to try NYM after this run.

EYEL1NER

Rented Disc One from Redbox using one of my free game rentals and am digging the game. Just got back to Brazil in the dock area and am really not looking forward to the disc ending it.
Can't afford to buy I yet, so I might rent it from Blockbuster.
My only real complaints are the atrocious cover system and the movement/controls. I played MP1 and 2 way back and it feels like max controls the same. All it does is make me think it could be the sequel to Wet but without Eliza Dushku's ass.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I was fine with it in MP3. The story in this game is much more about character than plot.

End game spoilers:

I dunno. I think the game really does cheapen out, so to speak.
The whole game Max does nothing but talk about this inescapable downward spiral he's caught in, how he's on a suicide mission, how he can't win...and then, in the end, he does. My favorite moment in the game is when Police Dude and Evil Brazilian escape in Chapter 13 and we just see pure frustration from Max. It fits his character. It makes sense. Then it is kinda all undone in the next chapter.

It's a video game, so I get it. But Rockstar just refuses to give us the
bittersweet
ending we deserve. After all,
who gives a shit that some rich fucks got killed? Did you care about Fabiana? I didn't. I cared about Max and he, I think, didn't get what he wanted-- to die.

Zeliard

Caveat: I'm in Chapter 12 I think, haven't quite finished it yet. :p

Does it shit the bed at the end? Cause up till now it's been solid, especially Max's characterization.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Caveat: I'm in Chapter 12 I think, haven't quite finished it yet. :p

Does it shit the bed at the end? Cause up till now it's been solid, especially Max's characterization.

Oh, um. Keep going. I don't think it shits the bed. It's not like aliens come from Jupiter to abduct max. that would be awesome tho omg

MattDoza

You gave in? Nooooo!

I love my light, dual wielding load out. Moving fast and shoot dodging in bullet time is where I have the most fun.

Rented Disc One from Redbox using one of my free game rentals and am digging the game. Just got back to Brazil in the dock area and am really not looking forward to the disc ending it.
Can't afford to buy I yet, so I might rent it from Blockbuster.
My only real complaints are the atrocious cover system and the movement/controls. I played MP1 and 2 way back and it feels like max controls the same. All it does is make me think it could be the sequel to Wet but without Eliza Dushku's ass.

If you haven't already, you should tweak the sensitivity for the aiming. The defaults are sluggish and not fun, but jacking up the sensitivity makes a world of difference.

Rockstar stories in a nutshell. This gen for sure.

I was fine with it in MP3. The story in this game is much more about character than plot.

I agree. I actually really like the story and how it deals with Max as a character.

The whole game Max does nothing but talk about this inescapable downward spiral he's caught in, how he's on a suicide mission, how he can't win...and then, in the end, he does. My favorite moment in the game is when Police Dude and Evil Brazilian escape in Chapter 13 and we just see pure frustration from Max. It fits his character. It makes sense. Then it is kinda all undone in the next chapter.

bittersweet
who gives a shit that some rich fucks got killed? Did you care about Fabiana? I didn't. I cared about Max and he, I think, didn't get what he wanted-- to die.

Ending spoilers:
But does he really? He does the same thing in Max Payne 2, that he wants to be punished that he wants to do, but if he honestly wanted to die, why not just put a bullet in his own head? Why keep stubbornly holding onto life constantly? I was honestly happy with the ending. He finally gets a real 'win' and some peace... even if it's only temporary. Besides, I was growing somewhat weary of all the really downbeat endings that R* has been providing us this generation. I liked this one.

I think Max tells himself that he wants to die, that he deserves to die and suffer because of his guilt. But in every desperate situation he finds himself in, he just gets up and keeps going, keeps on surviving. Dying's easy, living for him is a nightmare... but he keeps clinging to life.

End game spoilers:

bittersweet

He does (SPOILERS).

Angry Fork

60$ for single player only - yes or no? I'm an atmosphere junkie I replay games that have the best atmosphere and 'feeling' not gameplay although that's okay too. Don't care about multiplayer.

60$ for single player only - yes or no? I'm an atmosphere junkie I replay games that have the best atmosphere and 'feeling' not gameplay although that's okay too. Don't care about multiplayer.

It was worth it for me. I love the single player, it has a great atmosphere and feels great. Only played a couple rounds of MP, I'm ambivalent on it.

Though for you, I'm not sure if it'd be worth 60 bucks since you weren't really looking forward to it. I think it's worth it.

Angry Fork

How many hours would you say for someone who explores environments and goes through things slowly? (edit - my first time MGS4 playthrough on very easy was 18 hours for example so I milk single player games for all their worth as long as there's some open environments) As for tastes it's tough, I've already explained my hatred of the setting but Max Payne 1/2 are my favorite series and I love them to death so I pretty much have to play this one if only for Max himself as a character.

It's weird though because for Alan Wake for example I would've had no problem paying 60 for it and I loved it but Red Dead Redemption I thought was terrible. I got way more mileage out of Alan Wake than Just Cause 2 just as an example of the priority I put on atmosphere and story over gameplay (even though JC2 is fun).

I just don't want to feel like a wasteful idiot afterward for having faith in Rockstar like I did with RDR. I've heard here a few times that there are parts in the story where you can't explore the environment? And it rushes you along in order to chase someone which I find very annoying. The LA Noire pre order bonus is cool I beat it on PS3 but want to re-play it with higher resolution, but I don't know if that's worth waiting until a steam sale and how long until the sale shows up.

How many hours would you say for someone who explores environments and goes through things slowly? As for tastes it's tough, I've already explained my hatred of the setting but Max Payne 1/2 are my favorite series and I love them to death so I pretty much have to play this one if only for Max himself as a character.

It's weird though because for Alan Wake for example I would've had no problem paying 60 for it and I loved it but Red Dead Redemption I thought was terrible. I got way more mileage out of Alan Wake than Just Cause 2 just as an example of the priority I put on atmosphere and story over gameplay (even though JC2 is fun).

I just don't want to feel like a wasteful idiot afterward for having faith in Rockstar like I did with RDR. I've heard here a few times that there are parts in the story where you can't explore the environment? And it rushes you along in order to chase someone which I find very annoying.

If you're going on Medium, I'd say 9-11 hours on your first run. You'll probably have to go through it two or three times to find all the Golden Gun bits, clues that flesh out the story, and the "tourists" (side characters you can run into as you progress through). I took my time and finished in about ten hours, I had to go through again to find more clues and golden gun parts. Plus there's Grinds to do, sort of single player ridiculous accomplishments.

There are bits where you get rushed through, yeah. But it's only two parts that I recall. I grabbed the collectibles and explored a bit on the second run-through. The vast majority allows you to explore the environments.

Character work with Max is done really well though.

I gotta step out now, if you have more questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Fjordson

Man, Hard difficulty is wooping my ass in certain spots. God damn.

Still pretty fun, though, despite the occasionally terrible checkpoint.

Multiplayer has been really fun so far as well. Need to put more time into it soon.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Can anybody here from the UK gift me Max Payne 3 over Steam please? Looking at prices, it's £ 29.99 there, which is almost half the price of the local AU price. I can pay back the dosh via PayPal or whatever.

Top Bottom