• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Fabrik

Banned
This game has a massive plot hole. How is it even possible that Max exists in Chapter 1 if you die in Chapter 4? This should cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe!

i like the amount of xp i've earned on PS3, feels like it took ages to reach level 28 (20hrs played i think)

but i think the pc version will be a huge step up, i might have to ditch psn and play multiplayer over there

http://i.imgur.com/SRim8.png

I would be with you, but I have this fear that you will have to constantly be dealing with assholes using aimbots on the PC. And leaderboards becoming totally jacked up.

Has anyone gotten the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" achievement/trophy, the one where you kill 7 people during the boat segment at the end of Chapter 5? I've tried several times to get it and I've just been unable to because I feel like the window to shoot all of the guys on the boat is just too short. I can kill 5, but then the cutscene starts up...

I don't think my aim is that bad... :(

Ridley327

Has anyone gotten the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" achievement/trophy, the one where you kill 7 people during the boat segment at the end of Chapter 5? I've tried several times to get it and I've just been unable to because I feel like the window to shoot all of the guys on the boat is just too short. I can kill 5, but then the cutscene starts up...

That's probably the toughest one of the bunch just because they move around prior to the boat being shot at. You can force them to shoot at the boat earlier if you try to switch weapons; this is the key to it since they won't move at that point and you can pretty much decide where they'll be.

Second toughest is the one for chapter 7, just because of the two guys up top that are obscured by the railings.

Montresor

I can't confirm, but from what I read here, if you go straight to the rickety boat with chapter select (Chapter 5 Checkpoint 6), you'll start off with a pistol, which won't have enough ammo. So load Chapter 5 Checkpoint 5, and pick up double Uzis to guarantee Max carries an Uzi on the rickety boat.

Anyway, my trick: kill two people before the cutscene begins. Jumping off the boat in slow-mo happens after the cutscene, but those thugs you kill before the cutscene will count towards the achievement. I killed two people, triggered the cutscene, and then only had to kill five people in slow-mo and I still got the achievement.

iNvid02

PS3 owners, I read on eurogamer face off that the FPS dropped to 12FPS during bullet time, this really true?

not during bullet time, but when there is a ton of grenades going off with multiple guys shooting at each other it can get pretty fucked up and fps suffers bad

So, is there a consensus of what adjustments to make to the aiming settings (X and Y speed, aiming acceleration)?

The defaults feel kinda... off.

Also, for single-player, what do people prefer: Hard lock, soft lock, or free-aim?

Fjordson

So, is there a consensus of what adjustments to make to the aiming settings (X and Y speed, aiming acceleration)?

The defaults feel kinda... off.

Also, for single-player, what do people prefer: Hard lock, soft lock, or free-aim?
Free aim without any of the weird assists for single and multiplayer. I turned both sensitivities up to 7 and acceleration up to 8. Feels way better than the default settings.

I'm starting to love multiplayer. Just went on a three game winning streak and unlocked custom load outs.

Montresor

Do I have to rush in the NYM modes? I'm rushing like MAD and I think it's hurting my chances. I don't dare stay in cover for more than half a second because I'm afraid of running out of time, but then I waste all my painkillers flopping around, shoot dodging one way, getting hit while getting up, shoot dodging again and popping a painkiller in mid-air.

I got through the first four sections of the game easily using this method, but I'm getting burned on Chapter IV Part 2.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Had a blast on this today. Moved up 8 levels to Lvl 13 despite a few shitty rounds.

I forgot to look but what level does the Rocket Launcher unlock? I saw a level 5 running around shooting rockets like he had an infinite supply. There was also a guy from Gamespot playing who was level 9 and he was the same. I thought you had to be around lvl 45.

Anyways, from the start to Level 5 my only custom loadout consisted of two handguns, a flack jacket, nades and something else but I tried to keep it all around medium for semi decent stamina and health recovery. Once I got up to about lvl 8 I had a bit of a look at what was available. I created a new loadout with a pistol, AK, nades and this Mask thing for boost. When I enable it I will appear as a friend on the enemies radar (I think the name might be white too). You can imagine the grin I had running into a room with a primed nade, dropped it and rolled away. Triple kill. Mwahahahaa.

Really starting to enjoy this now I've started unlocking some decent stuff.

Fry

God, I'm not that bad on multiplayer (I generally finish at the top 3 of my team), but I've never gotten 1st place, and I also have a 0.34 ratio for matches won / lost. I feel it takes to long for you to get the good equipments.

Ridley327

Had a blast on this today. Moved up 8 levels to Lvl 13 despite a few shitty rounds.

I forgot to look but what level does the Rocket Launcher unlock? I saw a level 5 running around shooting rockets like he had an infinite supply. There was also a guy from Gamespot playing who was level 9 and he was the same. I thought you had to be around lvl 45.

Anyways, from the start to Level 5 my only custom loadout consisted of two handguns, a flack jacket, nades and something else but I tried to keep it all around medium for semi decent stamina and health recovery. Once I got up to about lvl 8 I had a bit of a look at what was available. I created a new loadout with a pistol, AK, nades and this Mask thing for boost. When I enable it I will appear as a friend on the enemies radar (I think the name might be white too). You can imagine the grin I had running into a room with a primed nade, dropped it and rolled away. Triple kill. Mwahahahaa.

Really starting to enjoy this now I've started unlocking some decent stuff.

The RPG unlocks at level 20; what you probably saw was someone activating the level 3 Trigger Happy, which gives you a grenade launcher with quite a bit of ammo.

jgminto

Does anyone actually enjoy Deathmatch? I like the multiplayer overall, TDM and Gang Wars are great but Deathmatch is just a total piece of shit. Some terrible spawns, frustrating maps, and everyone seems to love Branco HQ for some reason and I can't stand it even outside of DM. I at least got some enjoyment out of DMs in other games like CoD or Halo but this just seems terrible.

Fjordson

Does anyone actually enjoy Deathmatch? I like the multiplayer overall, TDM and Gang Wars are great but Deathmatch is just a total piece of shit. Some terrible spawns, frustrating maps, and everyone seems to love Branco HQ for some reason and I can't stand it even outside of DM. I at least got some enjoyment out of DMs in other games like CoD or Halo but this just seems terrible.
Only played two matches of Deathmatch and didn't like it. A few bad spawns, but also I've just never been a big fan of free-for-all multiplayer. Probably since I'm usually not good enough to get by without any teammates :lol. TDM is a blast, though, and I just unlocked Gang Wars and Payne Killer so I'll be trying those tonight.

I think my favourite map right now is the Hoboken back alleys map. With the rundown buildings facing each other. So fun.

itsovar6gipj.jpg

RIP

5-15-2012 to 5-26-2012

Fjordson

Yikes. Hope those player counts pick up a bit.

I can see why people were annoyed about the inclusion of a soft lock playlist before this came out. Despite being able to only play with people using free aim, the soft lock option needlessly splits the online population. Really, really hope they just go with free aim for GTA V's multiplayer.

Thankfully I haven't had any trouble finding games in TDM. We'll see how it goes with Payne Killer and Gang Wars.

Gen X

The RPG unlocks at level 20; what you probably saw was someone activating the level 3 Trigger Happy, which gives you a grenade launcher with quite a bit of ammo.

Shirley that perk doesn't open till later though, well, the level 3 does it? I know some don't even unlock at all till level 35 and up. Then again, now that I think about it Level 3 Trigger Happy gives everyone the RPG from memory.

And is it just me or is the Dual Wielding incredibly overpowered/accurate? Two Uzis should not be that accurate at mid-long range, they should have crazy recoil.

itsovar6gipj.jpg

RIP

5-15-2012 to 5-26-2012

Each time I've hopped online Payne Killer has the least games going. Although that said, 40 games for Team DM isn't that great either.

I can see why people were annoyed about the inclusion of a soft lock playlist before this came out. Despite being able to only play with people using free aim, the soft lock option needlessly splits the online population. Really, really hope they just go with free aim for GTA V's multiplayer.

This is exactly why I brought it up back then. As if DLC isn't going to split the community enough, this soft-lock/free aim divide has done it since launch. If you give the online community 2 choices of aiming, the majority will always choose the easiest.

Yze

Banned
Put yourself in rockstars shoes though, the community apparently vastly prefers soft lock so the gtaIV multiplayer if it is aim mode exclusive is going to be a soft lock game.

I just realized there's two extra songs in the iTunes release that aren't in the OST that came with the Special Edition, 'Severin' and 'Blasphemy'.

I need to hear these tracks.

Edit: Listening to it on YouTube, and fuck yeah, I remember where 'Severin' is from. Fucking A.
This is the track you play when you're gonna kick some ass and win.

Gen X

Put yourself in rockstars shoes though, the community apparently vastly prefers soft lock so the gtaIV multiplayer if it is aim mode exclusive is going to be a soft lock game.

Maybe a percentage of those playing Soft Lock don't actually enjoy it that much and would prefer Free Aim but choose Soft Lock purely because the servers are more populated. I know I've considered going in there, but then I think, if I die it's not because of the other persons skill. So I don't and I go back to Free Aim.

I just realized there's two extra songs in the iTunes release that aren't in the OST that came with the Special Edition, 'Severin' and 'Blasphemy'.

I need to hear these tracks.

Edit: Listening to it on YouTube, and fuck yeah, I remember where 'Severin' is from. Fucking A.
This is the track you play when you're gonna kick some ass and win.

No need for YT. High-res bitrate versions can be downloaded for free from the Rockstar Soundcloud page. The fact that they didn't even bother to put HEALTH's rendition of the Cello theme on the OST is beyond my understanding.

Nevertheless, Download the rest of the tracks here

MAX: THEME

BLASPHEMY

SEVERIN

Emicida - 9 Círculos REMIX (feat Styles P, Freddie Gibbs)

dreamfall

No need for YT. High-res bitrate versions can be downloaded for free from the Rockstar Soundcloud page. The fact that they didn't even bother to put HEALTH's rendition of the Cello theme on the OST is beyond my understanding.

BLASPHEMY

SEVERIN

Thank you for posting these! The Soundtrack is so perfect- I love me some Gangsta Gibbs! Was replaying a bit today, and definitely heard "Blasphemy" and wondered where it was on the soundtrack! WE NEED A VINYL!

MMaRsu

It does not matter how people want to play.

I am glad they included options for eveyone.

It doesn't? It does to me because if everybody stops playing free aim there will be nothing in the multiplayer for me anymore, which fucking sucks.

Softlock is for noob clowns who cant aim for shit so they have to resort to a fucking aimbot on consoles.

Gen X

aimbot on consoles.

That's it, in a nut shell. How are people supposed to get good if they use the easy option?

The same people probably play GT5/Forza in 3rd person with auto and all assists on. ;)

*Edit*
Just added up how many people are playing Free Aim across all game types and there are less people playing Free Aim than just Team DM in Soft Aim (Soft Aim TDM had about 400 more people).

Evershade

For those waiting for the PC version. If you pre-purchase on steam you now get a copy of L.A Noire for free instead of Max Payne 1 & 2.

Plus if you already pre-purchased it when Max Payne 1 & 2 were incentives, you should also have a copy of L.A.Noire in your games library/gifts library.

Hopefully pre-loading starts soon.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
to bad i cant gift the la noire i already beat it on the 360 id rather give it to someone whos never played it cause im not going to play it again

Fjordson

BLASPHEMY

SEVERIN

Yeah, the theme needs to be on the soundtrack. In any case, thanks for posting these!

I can't decide what my favourite track is. Shells or Panama.

HEALTH did an incredible job with the the soundtrack; really memorable stuff. I've known about them for a good while but have always written them off, considering I'm generally wary of hipster bands that the likes of Pitchfork cream their skinny jeans over. But after experiencing the Max Payne 3 OST, I really ought to listen to their back catalogue sometime.

Fjordson

HEALTH did an incredible job with the the soundtrack; really memorable stuff. I've known about them for a good while but have always written them off, considering I'm generally wary of hipster bands that the likes of Pitchfork cream their skinny jeans over. But after experiencing the Max Payne 3 OST, I really ought to listen to their back catalogue sometime.
Agreed. I thought it was an odd choice at first, I was expecting a composer like most games, but this worked out brilliantly.

To be honest, I had never even heard of HEALTH until Rockstar announced that they were scoring Max Payne, but now I'm definitely compelled to check out their previous albums.

abracadaver

Isnt LA Noire the shittiest PC port ever ? From what I have heard I wont bother installing it even though I never played it.

And yes, I got max payne 1 and 2 and LA Noire as pre-order bonuses

By joining the rockstar group on steam you get another game for free, midnight club 2 I think

Mik2121

Seeing how this game is not coming to JP soon, I just ordered it, hopefully arrives on Tuesday or so...

Can't wait to play it! Loved Max Payne but never played Max Payne 2... so this is my first bullet time action since then (or wait, the Matrix game had it too right?)

Tokubetsu

Agreed. I thought it was an odd choice at first, I was expecting a composer like most games, but this worked out brilliantly.

To be honest, I had never even heard of HEALTH until Rockstar announced that they were scoring Max Payne, but now I'm definitely compelled to check out their previous albums.

They got some buzz a few years ago for this video:
http://youtu.be/-dJfmsA-Yxk

Kinda NSFW (Violence, not nudity). Their first album and earlier stuff are kind of noisey but they've been bringing it down a bit since.

Vee_One

HEALTH are one of my favorite bands around, quite a distinct sound. Got the pleasure of meeting them after a show last year. Really cool dudes.
Severin is from their last album "Get Color"

In fact, the whole visual style of Max Payne (flashing primary colors etc.) is completely in line with HEALTH's general accompanying art style (album art e.g. Disco 2, T-Shirts etc)

Tokubetsu

HEALTH are one of my favorite bands around, quite a distinct sound. Got the pleasure of meeting them after a show last year. Really cool dudes.
Severin is from their last album "Get Color"

In fact, the whole visual style of Max Payne (flashing primary colors etc.) is completely in line with HEALTH's general accompanying art style (album art e.g. Disco 2, T-Shirts etc)

Definitely. The whole package meshes really well.

My favorite track for the soundtrack is "Torture." Reminds me a lot of the score for Dead Man, by Neil Young. Same kind of atmospheric, moaning electric guitar tunes.

Vee_One

Hipster band with Skinny Jeans?
Me and the GF got to meet the band last year after a show. The show was at a venue mostly known for catering to hipsters etc.

GF asked "How does it feel to play to a bunch of hipsters with beards wearing skinny jeans?"

Lead Singer: "I'm wearing Skinny Jeans..."

Was classic. She was mortified and he thought it was hilarious. I face palmed.

Top Bottom