• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Ridley327

The one with the infamous "Bang, bang, bang!" shouting and Ocelot dance. It was the only one that was pre-rendered aswell due to how long it was.

Or maybe it was classed as 90 minutes since it was a new cutscene directly afterwards, and just that one itself was 45... I COULD be wrong.

There's actually two cutscenes that are pre-rendered in MGS4; that one and the one that plays immediately after the microwave sequence. It has nothing to do with how long they were and everything to do with the fact that they were handling large numbers of character models.

Where they skippable ? I'm replaying the single player of Max Payne 3 and it's frankly becoming umbearable.

The difference in quality between the beatiful gameplay and the cutscenes is striking.

With the exception of the small bit that occurs just before the proper credits, every cutscene is skippable.

Seems pretty hard to get trophies/achievements in this game, they are very specific which is a good thing.

I still think I need to improve how I'm playing and start thinking a little differently about how I approach a given scenario. I am dying a lot, even on medium. The game does give you more painkillers when you restart though which is a godsend. How often do you guys use bullet dodge? How often do you not use bullet time at all? And do you use bullet time sometimes just to better line up shots ala RDR?

In a room full of enemies I typically grab cover and use bullet time to pick off a few heads. Then I'll roll out of cover and shootdodge towards another piece of cover while picking off more heads. I like using the roll out of cover because it helps you avoid fire while getting you out in the open enough so that when you go into the shootdodge you have a wider view of the enemies instead of half your screen being blocked by the cover you're diving away from. Plus it gets you closer to where you want to go.

scitek

Awesome news, let's hope it runs well on a mid-range rig like mine.

They posted more specs.

To give you another example, here is a more comprehensive breakdown of our recommendation on PC specs:

LOWEST TESTED SPECS

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ or AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ, or better
2GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce 8600 GT 512MB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 3400 512MB RAM

Low Recommended Specs

Intel Dual Core 3GHz or AMD equivalent
3GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce 450 512MB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 4870 512MB RAM

At this level, you will be able to comfortably run the game at 30 frames per second with a 1920 by 1080 screen resolution.

High Recommended Specs

Windows 7/Vista (32 or 64 bit)
Intel i7 Quad Core 2.8Ghz or AMD equivalent
3GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce 480 1GB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 5870 1GB RAM

At this level, you will be able to comfortably run the game at 60 fps at 1920 by 1080.

Highest Tested Specs

Windows 7/Vista (64 bit)
Intel i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ
or AMD FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ
16GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 3GB RAM

My rig is probably just a smidge below the "high recommended specs", so I'm pretty happy with that. I'm not planning on turning on the DX11 features, they usually kill performance with my card. Provided these specs are true, obviously.

cackhyena

"Low Recommended Specs

3GB System RAM
AMD Radeon™ HD 4870 512MB RAM
"

Hmmm, besides mine being a 2.4 instead of 3GHz, that's all me. Wonder how it will run.

scitek

"Low Recommended Specs

3GB System RAM
AMD Radeon™ HD 4870 512MB RAM
"

Hmmm, besides mine being a 2.4 instead of 3GHz, that's all me. Wonder how it will run.

Do you play games at 1920x1080?

Gav47

A good portion of the extra space requirements on PC can be attributed to the increased size of the textures, which are four times the size of those on consoles. In addition, the audio quality is significantly higher than the consoles due to lower compression rates, which improves audio fidelity
Goddamn.

I like it when studios tell you what their minimum and recommended specs actually mean in terms of performance.

KAOz

Short bus special
There isn't a ninety minute cutscene. From the last moment of interactivity, to the very end of the credits is ninety minutes.

There's actually two cutscenes that are pre-rendered in MGS4; that one and the one that plays immediately after the microwave sequence. It has nothing to do with how long they were and everything to do with the fact that they were handling large numbers of character models.

I stand corrected. Thanks guys.

solarus

They posted more specs.

I'm not too sure where I fall within that could someone tell me? I have a q6600 quad core 2.4ghz, a gtx 260 and 4gb of ram. I don't see how there is any excuse for this not to run at least as good as the 360 version at my native monitor resolution, my PC has been able to play all console games at high this gen and I'm not upgrading until the next gen of consoles and games.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
They posted more specs.

To give you another example, here is a more comprehensive breakdown of our recommendation on PC specs:

LOWEST TESTED SPECS

Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ or AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ, or better
2GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce 8600 GT 512MB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 3400 512MB RAM

Low Recommended Specs

3GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce 450 512MB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 4870 512MB RAM

At this level, you will be able to comfortably run the game at 30 frames per second with a 1920 by 1080 screen resolution.

High Recommended Specs

Windows 7/Vista (32 or 64 bit)
Intel i7 Quad Core 2.8Ghz or AMD equivalent
3GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce 480 1GB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 5870 1GB RAM

At this level, you will be able to comfortably run the game at 60 fps at 1920 by 1080.

Highest Tested Specs

Windows 7/Vista (64 bit)
Intel i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ
or AMD FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ
16GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 3GB RAM

Wish they posted these a few weeks ago, or when they first revealed the specs. I easily fit the High Recommended specs, something that I was originally concerned about. I honestly thought my rig would've been under the mid range and would struggle running it at a decent resolution.

Oh well, enjoying the PS3 version.

Vire

Just beat New York Minute mode. Holy fuck that was hard.

Not dying on Chapter 13 and 14 was a bitch...

Proud of this one. :D

14CLiGJhbC9NFQUbXVdRFzZCL2FjaC8wLzkAAAAA5+fn+HjoPg==.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
Great so I should consider myself "lucky" if I can get it running at 30fps on 1920x1080 (which I run everything in). I only have a 470, one slight notch below the recommended. Also I wish they would define "comfortably". Just freakin tell me how many settings I'll have to turn off or to medium.

edit: Oh thank god for a preload. I didn't want to basically wait another day to play it because it'll take something like 9-11 hours to download 35gb on my connection.

Great so I should consider myself "lucky" if I can get it running at 30fps on 1920x1080 (which I run everything in). I only have a 470, one slight notch below the recommended. Also I wish they would define "comfortably". Just freakin tell me how many settings I'll have to turn off or to medium.

edit: Oh thank god for a preload. I didn't want to basically wait another day to play it because it'll take something like 9-11 hours to download 35gb on my connection.

I think you've misread those specs. You should be able to pull off around 60FPS with your rig (provided your CPU is also a decent quad-core).

ImLibo

Just finished the singleplayer,enjoyed it all the way through,more games should do seemless cutscene to gameplay transitions.

scitek

No, the "you will be able to run at 30fps" stuff is written after the specs it's referring to, not before.

Hixx

Only played on 2 MP maps but they were both WAY too small for 16 players. Spawn, take 2 steps and someones shooting you from behind.

Teknoman

Yeah I wish they would have gone in depth on what settings = comfortable. Either way, i'm at/over high recommended specs, aside from wanting to play at 1440x900 and my card being a 4870 2GB.

Thought they only made the 4870 in 1GB or 2GB variations...had no idea there was a 512. Would that much extra VRAM make a difference in this case?

EDIT: maybe this will end up with options to only mess with AA and res...

Massa

You referring to Passos? Or others?

Most of the Brazilian Portuguese voice acting is really bad. It all sounds completely fake.

Passos is indeed involved in one of the worst examples I've seen so far
interrogation in the stadium
, but it's not just him by a long shot.

Is there going to be a boxed copy of the PC version available for purchase? And is it redeemable on Steam? That 35 GB is going to be way too big of a hit on my data cap for the month :(

Most of the Brazilian Portuguese voice acting is really bad. It all sounds completely fake.

Passos is wasn't born in Brazil. He is Colombian.
He is actually poked fun at by other Brazilian characters in the game for his strange accent.

theJwac

What the fuck.

I'm at the part where
you have to escape the building you just C4'd and it just randomly collapses every fucking time.
Is this a secretly timed mission? This shit is infuriating.
I think so. I found that part frustrating as well and found the associated achievement appropriately named.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finished it, solid game.
Will pop it in a few more times to get some trophies
Wait, didn't you post several times about how you weren't feeling it? It seems like almost everyone who's felt that way has had their opinion change in the last few chapters.

solarus

I'm not too sure where I fall within that could someone tell me? I have a q6600 quad core 2.4ghz, a gtx 260 and 4gb of ram. I don't see how there is any excuse for this not to run at least as good as the 360 version at my native monitor resolution, my PC has been able to play all console games at high this gen and I'm not upgrading until the next gen of consoles and games.

Anyone? Sorry but I don't have much of a clue when it comes to this.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Are there any plans for single player content dlc?

Pretty much my overall feel of the game once complete was that it was a huge action movie, I want to blow up and shoot more things and people...now. haha

Malo

Banned
I just unlocked the scope attachment to the mini 30 and it's insane. I'm doing so much better in multiplayer now, I just finished going 42 and 17 in my last match.

Bollocks

Wait, didn't you post several times about how you weren't feeling it? It seems like almost everyone who's felt that way has had their opinion change in the last few chapters.

Indeed, with the last 3 chapters the game redeemed itself they really stepped it up, how can you not like the game after you beat it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, Passos' bad accent
is intentional.

Up to chapter 5. The graphics and script are top notch but the gameplay is so disappointing. If you don't play it as a cover shooter you die over and over. Even on normal difficulty. And I don't like Max's weightiness. It worked fine in Red Dead because the environments were so open but here I get stuck trying to maneuver through doorways and around tables.

Raptomex

Up to chapter 5. The graphics and script are top notch but the gameplay is so disappointing. If you don't play it as a cover shooter you die over and over. Even on normal difficulty. And I don't like Max's weightiness. It worked fine in Red Dead because the environments were so open but here I get stuck trying to maneuver through doorways and around tables.
I beg to differ. I used bullet time an awful lot. I had fun with it. I'm not saying cover is never used but I thought it was a pretty good balance between bullet time, cover, and run and gun.

Top Bottom