• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Moze

Banned
maybe its because i haven't played GTA 4 in a long time but i found max payne 3 to be exactly the same as GTA 4 just with added bullet time

also whats with rockstar and their small aiming dots/rectile or whatever its called

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
maybe its because i haven't played GTA 4 in a long time but i found max payne 3 to be exactly the same as GTA 4 just with added bullet time

also whats with rockstar and their small aiming dots/rectile or whatever its called

You can change the reticle to weapon specific, although I like the dot.

Moze

Banned
so you guys dont see any problems with this game at all?

you like not having grenades?

do you like turning around a corner with full health, getting shot 3 times without warning and getting sent back 10 mins because of the shitty checkpoint system?

do you like when the person who deals you the death blow decides to go in cover so you cant win the last stand?

do you like your character to run so damn slow?

Loudninja

do you like turning around a corner with full health, getting shot 3 times without warning and getting sent back 10 mins because of the shitty checkpoint system?

do you like when the person who deals you the death blow decides to go in cover so you cant win the last stand?

Dont care about grenades so thats not a problem.

The checkpoint system is terrible.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Do you always run around a blind corner in shooting games expecting enemies to wait until you're ready to shoot?

I'll admit there were a couple of places I wasn't happy about the checkpoint system but from memory I don't think I ever died from blindly running into a new area.

Personally, I think his running speed suits his age/persona portrayed in the game. He's an older man now who has spent the last 10 years sitting in bars drinking, smoking and on painkillers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

No one in here is saying that the game doesn't have problems, just not the ones you seem to have.

No grenades is kind of strange but not an issue for me.

Checkpoints aren't too bad for me in regards to frequency, several of them just drop you into combat so fast you can't avoid damage.

Last Stand can be annoying a good deal of the time.

The normal movement speed is fine so I never use the sprint. I don't even know why it's in there since it's useless.

A few issues but they're all easily overlooked because of the quality of the rest of the game.

Fjordson

Well, you're moving the goal posts a bit now. We were talking about controls and how tthey felt. You said anyone who thought they felt good was "insane". I was responding to that and only that.

If you now want to talk about issues with the game as a whole, then we'll move to that. Sure.

Some of the checkpoints are fucking atrocious. Without a doubt. No grenades is a weird choice. The last stand mechanic is definitely not perfect. I almost thought it was unnecessary in general. I had a few nitpicks with the character development of some of the villains in the game, all of the cutscenes/loading really hurts the flow on subsequent playthroughs of the single-player, and I dislike R* splitting the online community between the two different aiming playlists.

Game ain't perfect. Never said it was.

Moze

Banned
Do you always run around a blind corner in shooting games expecting enemies to wait until you're ready to shoot?

I'll admit there were a couple of places I wasn't happy about the checkpoint system but from memory I don't think I ever died from blindly running into a new area.

Personally, I think his running speed suits his age/persona portrayed in the game. He's an older man now who has spent the last 10 years sitting in bars drinking, smoking and on painkillers.

no i expect to get shot if i turn around a corner and there is an enemy there what i DONT expect though is to die after getting shot 3 times

for a dude that can heal gun wounds with painkillers and fly through the air in slow motion he moves far too slow imo

Jarmel

Banned

Yea there are problems with the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
no i expect to get shot if i turn around a corner and there is an enemy there what i DONT expect though is to die after getting shot 3 times

for a dude that can heal gun wounds with painkillers and fly through the air in slow motion he moves far too slow imo
Max's health is low precisely because of the bullet time and pain killer mechanics. It's always been that way. You need to utilize them properly.

Jarmel

Banned
Max's health is low precisely because of the bullet time and pain killer mechanics. It's always been that way. You need to utilize them properly.

It really limits what you can do on the higher difficulties atleast because you get torn apart moving around.

Moze

Banned
im starting to look like a troll now ill just leave the thread, i think i have said enough times that i dislike the game. i never plan on playing it again ill leave it at that

lol why am i gonna lie about it?

the game can be extremely cheap at times...infact its unreal how cheap it can at times

I never for once felt the game was cheap. If I died it was because I did something foolish or forgot to pop a painkiller. Never had a problem with enemies not dying from multiple head shots, cept for the enemies wearing helmets like was stated above. Sorry to say it man, but seems like you just have to get a little better with your aiming.

you really think the mechanics of max payne 3 were better than uncharted 3? well damn. im not saying uncharted is exactly the best TPS of all time but to call it worse than max payne 3 kind of offends me

i dont think we were playing the same game? max payne 3 is pretty much a copy and paste of GTA 4s shooting mechanics with bullet time tacked on. i can deal with GTA having 'meh' shooting mechanics but a dedicated TPS with 'meh' shooting mechanics is a bad game to me.

they should have got the mafia devs to help work on the shooting and cover mechanics because them guys know how to make great TPS games

Max Payne 3 is far above Uncharted 3 in shooting mechanics. I actually LIKE shooting guys in this game. I don't groan every time a shootout starts. That's an automatic plus for this.

And people calling this GTA4 with bullet time...Christ. You people need to pop GTA4 in and realize how untrue that is.

jet1911

Max Payne 3 is far above Uncharted 3 in shooting mechanics. I actually LIKE shooting guys in this game. I don't groan every time a shootout starts. That's an automatic plus for this.

And people calling this GTA4 with bullet time...Christ. You people need to pop GTA4 in and realize how untrue that is.

Maybe they played with Hard Lock?

MercuryLS

Banned
As much as I like this game, the aiming still feels wonky. It's either too fast or too slow. What are your settings? Mine are at 7 7 7.

Resilient

Okay, now as #14 on the neogang I am begging peeps to either play multi or drop.off. Too many of us have limited scoring. Stop holding the squad back dudes!

I would love to be a part of the NeoGANG but I just can't get in, I asked for an invite early but forgot to accept it before release and by then it was too late; the gang had capped at 300. So you do have people that are active wanting to join!! If anybody is in and would like to leave, heads up so I can accept DGSimo's invite!

JB1981

Finally beat chapter 12 and it was pretty much pure luck. You are definitely better off bullet dodging and using bullet time rather than hugging cover. However bullet time usually works better AFTER you have died and can form a plan of attack base on memorizing enemy placement and movement. This game has more in common with The Club than it does with other TPS shooters like Gears or UC.

Will finish up chapter 14 tomorrow. I'm playing on medium and I find the game needlessly frustrating. Maybe I just suck but I can't be THAT bad if I have gotten this far.

Spooka

I have died in this game more than any other TPS I've ever played. I appreciate the game but I can't say I'm enjoying it right now. Ive been drunk for two days straight so that might be playing a factor

If you press the right stick the games goes into slow motion. Makes it way easier.

I just reloaded the part you are stuck on. Originally, I beat it on hard in a couple tries and this time I retried it on normal(since that is the way you are playing) and again beat it in two. I don't understand why you are having that much trouble - especially on normal. What weapons are you stuck with? Also, if the heavy weapons guy knocks you into last chance mode, keep pulling the trigger and getting hits on him even after hitting him in the head.

I'd say that MP3 and UC3 are more or less on par in terms of fluidity, control and the having the player character elicit what you intended with your input; and that's purely because Naughty Dog really fucked with the controls in UC3. If we were to compare UC2 and MP3, the former wins on all fronts.

To those saying that MP3 isn't somewhat clunky when compared to the best in the genre, I would have to declare you either delusional or simply not versed enough in MP3's TPS peers.

Don't get me wrong, MP3 controls damn well. It's definitely not "shit", but comparatively, it's not as good. And that comes down to one variable: Rockstar and their grasp of TPS controls. They are getting better, however; and it would be remiss of anyone to neglect the multitude of things that Rockstar does right compared to other developers. Unfortunately for me (and a few others), what they fall short in is what I care about most.

Spooka

Finally beat chapter 12 and it was pretty much pure luck. You are definitely better off bullet dodging and using bullet time rather than hugging cover. However bullet time usually works better AFTER you have died and can form a plan of attack base on memorizing enemy placement and movement. This game has more in common with The Club than it does with other TPS shooters like Gears or UC.

Will finish up chapter 14 tomorrow. I'm playing on medium and I find the game needlessly frustrating. Maybe I just suck but I can't be THAT bad if I have gotten this far.

I'm pretty sure you are that bad. I made it through on hard without too much trouble and I didn't have to memorize anything.

madmackem

I loved how they dont subtitle the portuguese npc chatter, it draws you in more, you feel just like max would like wtf are these guys saying. Many devs wouldve subtitled the shit out of this game which would of spoiled it.

Jarmel

Banned

Definitely agree. Uncharted 3 has way too many bullet sponges and the AI isn't really dynamic for the most part. Also there isn't anything to spice up the shooting like bullet time.

I'd say that MP3 and UC3 are more or less on par in terms of fluidity, control and the having the player character elicit what you intended with your input; and that's purely because Naughty Dog really fucked with the controls in UC3. If we were to compare UC2 and MP3, the former wins on all fronts.

To those saying that MP3 isn't somewhat clunky when compared to the best in the genre, I would have to declare you either delusional or simply not versed enough in MP3's TPS peers.

Don't get me wrong, MP3 controls damn well. It's definitely not "shit", but comparatively, it's not as good. And that comes down to one variable: Rockstar and their grasp of TPS controls. They are getting better, however; and it would be remiss of anyone to neglect the multitude of things that Rockstar does right compared to other developers. Unfortunately for me (and a few others), what they fall short in is what I care about most.

I completely disagree on that. Uncharted 3 still wallops the shit out of this game in regards to motion for the most part(excluding aiming). Drake moves as you want him to move, Max is relatively slow and clumsy in comparison. I haven't played UC3 after the aim patch so I can't say anything about aiming but getting Drake in and out of cover, and his movements in general, is a beautiful thing.

KalBalboa

Banned
I really, really liked this game.

No piece of work is truly perfect, and I frankly think every "shortcoming" was honestly for the better. The running speed felt appropriate for Max, his animations that transitioned him from laying on the ground or impacting surfaces to a prone position helped me feel his exhaustion, and the lack of grenades never once deterred from my enjoyment of it.

Claiming the game's lack of grenades in single player is a fault would be like saying Inception was a bad film for not including a great rock song or sex scene. The powers that be at Rockstar made decisions and produced a concerted effort that resulted in one of my favorite shooters.

Also, when it comes to comparing the game to Uncharted 3, I again point to direction as the key difference. It's clear that Uncharted's style is different than Max Payne's, and vice versa. Neither is the "right" way of handling third-person action, much how there is no "correct" way to make a racing game (you can like Wipeout, Mario Kart, or Driver just fine despite having completely different takes on the genre). Uncharted is a bit easier to digest for some due to its stickiness & blockbuster feel and Max Payne is a little more geared towards those who have a penchant for grittier crime stories & pure firefights.

This game shows what is wrong with this industry and many gamers.

People apparently don't like to be challenged in games anymore. And that is just sad.
I sadly agree. I have yet to play MP3 as PC isn't released just yet. But I've come to appreciate difficulty in games that harken to the NES era. Imagine Dark Souls with checkpoints every 5 mins. Casual gaming is catching on in a big way, which is fine, but it's not leaving much room for harder games which are artificially inflated to be so i.e. same enemies with more life. Arkham City was much more enjoyable on Hard as there were no icons to tell you when to reverse and I wish I could have chosen that difficulty from the start as opposed to unlocking it. But i'll take what I can get and I can't wait for MP3.

MercuryLS

Banned
I have my settings at 3-3 and 10 for acceleration.

Thanks, that's a lot better than what I had it at.

Also the crying at the difficulty is funny, medium wasn't hard at all...died a few times, but if you play smart and stock up on painkillers you will be fine. They give you a ton of those. On medium you can basically play this like a cover shooter and beat it pretty easily...which isn't so fun. On hard, you really have to mix things up as they don't give you a lot of bullettime. Shootdodge, something a barely used on medium is my best friend on hard because it still works even if you have no bullettime left. As long as you're always aiming for enemies heads and don't do reckless shit like jumping out in the open in the face of 5-6 guys, you'll be fine. Pick off stragglers with headshots in bulettime, and shoot dodge the last 1-2 enemies is a good way to get through the game.

As much as I like this game, the aiming still feels wonky. It's either too fast or too slow. What are your settings? Mine are at 7 7 7.

I think you might be using the LT to aim down the sights too much. I find that doing that can really mess with you when you are looking to line up a shot. You might need to turn off the acceleration on that to get a better feel. Personally, I just use default settings and use the LT very sparingly. Pretty much only when I am in cover to get a couple shots off to build my adrenaline meter.

Keep at it and you will get a feel for the controls more. Always strafe, keeping the reticule around the same height as the enemies head. Do this especially when in bullet time to pull off easy head shots. If you don't have the room to strafe or have to attack an enemy head on, roll (more effective in bullet time) and shoot the enemy in the legs or the hand he is holding his weapon with. This will give you time to rush him and do a melee kill.

Side note. I just recently found out that if you click the crouch button then click it again but hold it down, Max will go prone without having to shootdodge. I feel like a dumbass. Not very useful in single player, but will be in multiplayer.

Resilient

I think you might be using the LT to aim down the sights too much. I find that doing that can really mess with you when you are looking to line up a shot. You might need to turn off the acceleration on that to get a better feel. Personally, I just use default settings and use the LT very sparingly. Pretty much only when I am in cover to get a couple shots off to build my adrenaline meter.

Keep at it and you will get a feel for the controls more. Always strafe, keeping the reticule around the same height as the enemies head. Do this especially when in bullet time to pull off easy head shots. If you don't have the room to strafe or have to attack an enemy head on, roll (more effective in bullet time) and shoot the enemy in the legs or the hand he is holding his weapon with. This will give you time to rush him and do a melee kill.

Side note. I just recently found out that if you click the crouch button then click it again but hold it down, Max will go prone without having to shootdodge. I feel like a dumbass. Not very useful in single player, but will be in multiplayer.

Very useful in score attack if you need a quick 3x multiplier.

If you don't have the room to strafe or have to attack an enemy head on, roll (more effective in bullet time) and shoot the enemy in the legs or the hand he is holding his weapon with. This will give you time to rush him and do a melee kill.

That's a good tactic. I also blindfire one or two rounds from cover when there are two or more enemies. That way usually one guy reacts to it, giving you time to get out of cover and shoot the other guy first and then the second one when he recovers from the blindfire bullets.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ughh

Just went to youtube to watch some of the parts I liked a lot, and almost all of the videos had someone playing it like it was Gears of War. Just sitting behind cover the entire time. Disgusting.

Top Bottom