• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

MP3 is the only game where it's fun to aim at the legs, and watch euphoria go into action.

Two people running towards me, one behind the other, and I shoot the front guy in the legs. He staggers and falls while the guy behind him trips over him. I cap both in the head as they're getting up.

Okay, now as #14 on the neogang I am begging peeps to either play multi or drop.off. Too many of us have limited scoring. Stop holding the squad back dudes!

Some critic on Metacritic just gave the game 4 out of 10. That just seems absurd to me; no way could someone justify marking it that low down.

jut420

Neo Member
Max Payne 3 |OT| I don't have enough Hookers and Blow to tolerate a shoddy performance.

;)

still haven't finished but I've seen that at least twice be bolded during a cutscene. So far the game is awesome tho, looking forward to finishing up today. Probably my favorite Rockstar game this gen.

ibtVgydwfKnm9G.gif

I almost spilled my coffee all over my home theater.

Damn that is some nice shit you got here son !

Ridley327

The cover system is unquestionably chunky, especially in comparison to the aiming (which this game definitely gets right); it's about as functional as the one in RE5, which is not a target any game should be aiming for.

Blutonium

wait where did i say i was playing on hard?

the game is cheap as hell, enemies can take 15+ shots before going down, max can randomly die at any point from a shot to the head. overall the game is extremely frustrating and not something i enjoyed that much

What. Every headshot in this game is lethal, stop shooting at their body armor. The only exception are the light machine gunners who only appear
about 4
times in the entire game. Are you playing with softlock/hardlock? I've seen videos where it snaps to the chest, makes sense you kill badguys with 15 shots if you keep emptying clips on their bullet proof vests.

Wut? Oh wait you must be talking about enemies that have body armor, you are probably shooting them straight into the chest area. How about trying to hit them where they are not armored like their legs or heads?

The game is not frustrating at all if you know how to play. Dont stay in cover too much, use bullettime a lot and shootdodge a lot. Play it like a boss and you can win like a boss, but play it like a sissy staying in cover you'll probably have a much harder time.

So yeah, pretty much this.

george_us

Max Payne 3 |OT| stop sucking at shooting, n00bs
Pretty much.

The only thing I don't like about this game is that some of the enemy spawn points seem more like "Gotcha!" moments, especially when you're out of bullet time. Other than that though this is probably the best TPS I've ever played.

Any word on when Steam's pre-loading will start yet? Can't wait to play it again, this time in all its DX11 glory (if Rockstar hasn't screwed up this version of the game like their crappy ports of GTA4 and LA Noire).

Moze

Banned
What. Every headshot in this game is lethal, stop shooting at their body armor. The only exception are the light machine gunners who only appear
about 4
times in the entire game. Are you playing with softlock/hardlock? I've seen videos where it snaps to the chest, makes sense you kill badguys with 15 shots if you keep emptying clips on their bullet proof vests.

So yeah, pretty much this.

was using free aim

im sorry but anyone calling this game smooth is insane...it is EXTREMELY clunky when compared to other shooters...lol at not being able to transition between cover

and headshots aren't lethal

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
was using free aim

im sorry but anyone calling this game smooth is insane...it is EXTREMELY clunky when compared to other shooters...lol at not being able to transition between cover

Headshots are 100% lethal and this game flows smoother than most other TPS.

Fjordson

im sorry but anyone calling this game smooth is insane...it is EXTREMELY clunky when compared to other shooters...
Call me crazy, 'cause I disagree. Literally never had a single issue with the controls *shrug*

Last third-person shooter I played before this was Uncharted 3 and I think the combat (including the controls) was way worse there.

Gui_PT

was using free aim

I agree with the bolded part but the rest is just untrue and incorrect. Especially the headshots

MMaRsu

was using free aim

You can still roll or shootdodge from cover to cover..works for me.

Moze

Banned
Call me crazy, 'cause I disagree. Literally never had a single issue with the controls *shrug*

Last third-person shooter I played before this was Uncharted 3 and I think the combat (including the controls) was way worse there.

you really think the mechanics of max payne 3 were better than uncharted 3? well damn. im not saying uncharted is exactly the best TPS of all time but to call it worse than max payne 3 kind of offends me

i dont think we were playing the same game? max payne 3 is pretty much a copy and paste of GTA 4s shooting mechanics with bullet time tacked on. i can deal with GTA having 'meh' shooting mechanics but a dedicated TPS with 'meh' shooting mechanics is a bad game to me.

they should have got the mafia devs to help work on the shooting and cover mechanics because them guys know how to make great TPS games

Gui_PT

you really think the mechanics of max payne 3 were better than uncharted 3? well damn. im not saying uncharted is exactly the best TPS of all time but to call it worse than max payne 3 kind of offends me

i dont think we were playing the same game? max payne 3 is pretty much a copy and paste of GTA 4s shooting mechanics with bullet time tacked on. i can deal with GTA having 'meh' shooting mechanics but a dedicated TPS with 'meh' shooting mechanics is a bad game to me.

they should have got the mafia devs to help work on the shooting and cover mechanics because them guys know how to make great TPS games

I honestly think you cannot discuss this seriously after saying headshots aren't insta kills.

Either you're playing the wrong game, or you're doing it incorrectly or not sober.

Fjordson

Absolutely. I thought Uncharted 3's combat was pretty bad. Max Payne 3 I, again, had no issues with.

I should note that I played UC 3 at launch. I think I remember hearing about a patch later on that attempted to fix the combat, so it might be better now.

If you like shooting through walls, sure.

Talking about Uncharted 3, people need to realise fluidity and control are totally different things.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Beat it. Loved it. People gathered around watching me play every time I turned it on because it is honestly a better cinematic action experience than a lot of modern action movies.

Moze

Banned
I honestly think you cannot discuss this seriously after saying headshots aren't insta kills.

Either you're playing the wrong game, or you're doing it incorrectly or not sober.

it seems people are having different experiences with the same game. on quite a few occasions i shot someone in the head he went down then got back up and started shooting me again. on 1 occasion i shot the same person 3 times in the head with a shot gun before he died

Gui_PT

it seems people are having different experiences with the same game. on quite a few occasions i shot someone in the head he went down then got back up and started shooting me again. on 1 occasion i shot the same person 3 times in the head with a shot gun before he died

Highly doubt that actually happened.

What might happen once is you get a headshot on someone with a helmet and it'll jump off. Another headhot and he's gone. But there's not too many guys like that in the game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
There were quite a few times where it took multiple headshots to down someone. Had to remove the armor. I found later that you can pop them in the leg and as they stumble the back of the head isn't covered by those gas masks.

Moze

Banned
Absolutely. I thought Uncharted 3's combat was pretty bad. Max Payne 3 I, again, had no issues with.

I should note that I played UC 3 at launch. I think I remember hearing about a patch later on that attempted to fix the combat, so it might be better now.

at launch the aiming sensitivity was messed up for some reason. all you had to do was adjust it...surely you done that?

Moze

Banned
Highly doubt that actually happened.

What might happen once is you get a headshot on someone with a helmet and it'll jump off. Another headhot and he's gone. But there's not too many guys like that in the game.

lol why am i gonna lie about it?

the game can be extremely cheap at times...infact its unreal how cheap it can at times

Gui_PT

lol why am i gonna lie about it?

the game can be extremely cheap at times...infact its unreal how cheap it can at times

Not saying you're lying. Saying you're wrong. You think you're getting headshots but you're not. Because what you just mentioned doesn't happen. Played through the game twice and it did not happen to me a single time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I'm one of the biggest Uncharted fans here and this is easily far above Uncharted when it comes down to purely shooting mechanics. The gun combat feels so incredibly precise, satisfying, and cool all the time in MP3. It seriously may be the strongest shooter mechanically that I have ever played.

Top Bottom